NBA draft & NCAA basketball

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Re: NBA draft & NCAA basketball 

Post#181 » by Moooose » Sun May 20, 2018 7:30 am

Definitely love DiVincenzo as well. Though he looks more like a 3 ad D guy, his game is pretty well-rounded. Been watching the scrimmages and that DeVon Carter / Donte DiVincenzo pairing is working well.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#182 » by 8305 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:35 pm

DiVencenzo apparently showed well during the combine scrimmages same goes for JAcob Evans. Some guys we haven’t talked about: Elie Okobo
Kevin Huerter
Melvin Frazier
Anfernee Simons

Zhaire Smith measured smaller than expected. He might slide to the 20’s.
Huerter was another one showing well in the scrimmages.
Moooose
Starter

Post#183 » by Moooose » Sun May 20, 2018 5:52 pm

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/indiana-pacers-conduct-pre-draft-interview-with-ucla-forward-kris-wilkes/

Every year we get to interview or workout Indiana locals, Wilkes is the first one for this draft, I believe. Seen him play maybe a couple of times as I am somehow following the Bruins. Very raw potential, he looks like a kid from the playground who looks limited but definitely try his hardest. One thing I don't really get is how he can shoot threes but miss a lot on free throws.

On a side note, Aaron Holiday is steady.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#184 » by MUpacersSIC » Mon May 21, 2018 2:35 am

This doesn't have anything to do with this draft, but if we had aced our drafts the last 9 years we could have ended up with this lineup (based strictly on where we picked and the BPA):

PG Jrue Holiday
SG Paul George
SF Kawhi Leonard
PF Draymond Green
C Rudy Gobert
PG Dejounte Murray
SG Devin Booker
SF Kyle Kuzma
PF Nikola Jokic
C DeAndre Jordan
R Norman Powell
R Lance Stephenson

Obviously almost any team could do this exact same thing, but it does go to show you that there are almost always great picks to be had when you think there aren't. The Pacers really need to hit on this pick because they missed out on OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma, John Collins, and Jarrett Allen just last year. All of those players could have helped this past season.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#185 » by Tom White » Mon May 21, 2018 2:03 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:This doesn't have anything to do with this draft, but if we had aced our drafts the last 9 years we could have ended up with this lineup (based strictly on where we picked and the BPA):

PG Jrue Holiday
SG Paul George
SF Kawhi Leonard
PF Draymond Green
C Rudy Gobert
PG Dejounte Murray
SG Devin Booker
SF Kyle Kuzma
PF Nikola Jokic
C DeAndre Jordan
R Norman Powell
R Lance Stephenson

Obviously almost any team could do this exact same thing, but it does go to show you that there are almost always great picks to be had when you think there aren't. The Pacers really need to hit on this pick because they missed out on OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma, John Collins, and Jarrett Allen just last year. All of those players could have helped this past season.

Always interesting to play the "what if" game. The league would have to re-write the salary cap for us to keep that team together, but why not?
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#186 » by Jake0890 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:49 pm

http://nbadraft.theringer.com/

That ringer guide is the best thing they do all year. Take a look.

The Ringer has us taking Aaron Holiday out of UCLA at the moment.

At this point, I think my guy is Kevin Knox, though I'd be surprised if he falls to us. But if we can move up somehow into the top 10? Gimme Mikal Bridges. Kid is gonna be big.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#187 » by Wizop » Mon May 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Jake0890 wrote:The Ringer has us taking Aaron Holiday out of UCLA at the moment.

if it goes the way they have it, I prefer Frazier to Holiday. they have him going next.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#188 » by Tom White » Mon May 21, 2018 5:28 pm

Jake0890 wrote:The Ringer has us taking Aaron Holiday out of UCLA at the moment.

I hate it for these kids, but it is getting tougher and tougher for guys 6' - 6'1" to make it unless they are lightning quick, or have some other unique talent. There are just too many guards of 6'4" - 6'6" range with similar skills, plus better reach, rebounding and defensive capabilities.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#189 » by MUpacersSIC » Mon May 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Wizop wrote:

if it goes the way they have it, I prefer Frazier to Holiday. they have him going next.

I’d be happy with Melvin Frazier, Donte Divincenzo, Jacob Evans, or Gary Trent Jr. Obviously I would be fine with others if someone drops, but these would be my primary targets. Anyone see who we’re bringing in for workouts yet?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Wizop
RealGM

Post#190 » by Wizop » Mon May 21, 2018 6:19 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:I’d be happy with Melvin Frazier, Donte Divincenzo, Jacob Evans, or Gary Trent Jr. Obviously I would be fine with others if someone drops, but these would be my primary targets.

Bates-Diop. Troy Brown. Brunson. maybe even Grayson Allen if he showed maturity at his interviews.

as for people dropping, you just never know. Bird supposedly apologized to Granger for wasting his time bringing him in for a workout because he thought he was just too good to still be on the board for us. I don't think you can put too much faith in the mocks. if the blog writers were qualified scouts, they wouldn't be writers. I get that there are writers who base their opinions on what scouts have told them, but I always remember that Donnie Walsh started every pre-draft press conference with a warning that he always lies before the draft. team officials have no incentive to be truthful and agents want to hype their clients.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#191 » by Tom White » Mon May 21, 2018 6:20 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote: Anyone see who we’re bringing in for workouts yet?

Have they even started workouts yet? Didn't the combine just end?
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Re: RE: Re: NBA draft & NCAA basketball 

Post#192 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
I imagine we’re more likely to sell our 2nd than buy one. We’re loaded on roster spots for next year, unless we plan on cutting our current developmental guys in Poythress, Young, Somner, Moore, Anigbogu, etc.

euro stashing would be an option.

Goga Bitadze is a 6'11 18 yr old from the Republic of Georgia should be there when we pick. I would try to buy a 2nd Sac has sold their pick in the past to us to be exact. Their pick is 36, I also think Atlanta might sell the #34 pick since they have 3 #1's. How may rookies do they want. I'd buy either if possible to take Bates-Diop if he's still there, assuming we don't just take him at 23.

Draft in 31 days.
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: NBA draft & NCAA basketball 

Post#193 » by Wizop » Mon May 21, 2018 7:03 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:I also think Atlanta might sell the #34 pick since they have 3 #1's. How may rookies do they want. I'd buy either if possible to take Bates-Diop if he's still there, assuming we don't just take him at 23.

Atlanta might prefer to sell the #30 to avoid the guarantee.

Philly has 38, 39, 56, and 60. but the best spot for even one second round pick unless a Bates-Diop type falls or we draft a Euro is a two way. Sumner got a two year, two way last year presumably because they didn't think he'd be healthy in year one. I assume we keep him. Moore has the other two way so to give a new kid a two way we have to either dump Moore or give him a regular contract.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#194 » by Jake0890 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:27 pm

We have met with the following players:

Miles Bridges, MSU
Kris Wilkes, UCLA
Shake Milton, SMU
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#195 » by 8305 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Donte DiVincenzo
Kevin Huerter
Elie Okobo

Are my top three. I like the upside of these guys.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 467

Post#196 » by granger05 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:53 pm

In ESPN's latest mock draft they have us taking a kid out of Boise St. This caught my eye though:

Hutchison is reported to have a promise after he skipped the combine and canceled all his workouts, and some teams think Indiana could be the team that guaranteed him.

I don't recall us being a team to make verbal commitments pre-draft. Does Pritchard have a history of that?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#197 » by Wizop » Wed May 30, 2018 8:56 pm

on TV last night ESPN had a mock draft where we took Shamet. they had a lot of guys going in the teens that most mocks have going lower. if it goes their way, DiVicenzo, Melton, and Frazier interest me.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#198 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 30, 2018 11:15 pm

granger05 wrote:In ESPN's latest mock draft they have us taking a kid out of Boise St. This caught my eye though:

Hutchison is reported to have a promise after he skipped the combine and canceled all his workouts, and some teams think Indiana could be the team that guaranteed him.

I don't recall us being a team to make verbal commitments pre-draft. Does Pritchard have a history of that?

Pritchard used to with euros that otherwise wouldn’t stay in the draft. We haven’t really ever done it.
Moooose
Starter

Post#199 » by Moooose » Thu May 31, 2018 1:26 pm

granger05 wrote:In ESPN's latest mock draft they have us taking a kid out of Boise St. This caught my eye though:

Highly unlikely, I think. But not impossible. Everything has been just speculations and rumors. Some analysts also think it's Chicago. Looks like we will need to wait til the actual draft. I like Hutchison though, looks like he has some Granger potential in him.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#200 » by Jake0890 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:31 pm

The theory is that... at the 23rd pick, we've made a guarantee to a projected late first round player?

Seems fishy. Is this the kind of can't miss kid that we'd rather guarantee him than see who falls to us?

To be fair, i've never even heard of this kid.

Return to Indiana Pacers