NFL Owners Admits Being Swayed By Trump On Signing Kaepernick

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

NFL Owners Admits Being Swayed By Trump On Signing Kaepernick 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed May 30, 2018 5:34 pm

An NFL owner testified under oath during a collusion grievance deposition that he changed his mind on signing Colin Kaepernick following remarks made by Donald Trump about firing players who protest during the national anthem.

Kaepernick filed a grievance last October against NFL owners for collusion.

Attorney Mark Geragos told the “Straight Aim” podcast Tuesday that the unidentified owner's testimony proves collusion.

"In this civil case, there’s no doubt that the existing coaches — and I’m talking about Super Bowl-winning coaches — have testified under oath that he’s a starting quarterback in this league, and so that’s mind boggling,” Geragos said. “When you ask them … specifically why he isn’t he being hired … they say because of the national anthem policy.

"The only reason — and the owners will admit that — they haven’t signed him is they’re afraid of Trump, and they’ve colluded because of Trump,” Geragos said.

Via Scooby Axson/Sports Illustrated

The Dawg
Sophomore
And1: 212

Re: NFL Owners Admits Being Swayed By Trump On Signing Kaepernick 

Post#2 » by The Dawg » Wed May 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Common knowledge, but hey at least its out in space now.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,828

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Wed May 30, 2018 7:20 pm

It would have been cheaper for an NFL team to sign him to a backup QB contract. Now they'll shell out millions in damages probably. Good.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,535

Post#4 » by righterwriter » Wed May 30, 2018 8:47 pm

Every NFL owner didn't want to sign him because he was bad for business and he wasn't a very good QB. Saying that he had "the potential" to start doesn't make the guaranteed financial lost and distraction to the team worth it. Tebow had "the potential" to start and nobody wanted him.

Think about it.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#5 » by spikeslovechild » Wed May 30, 2018 10:19 pm

Another reason he'll get my vote next year. Keapernick can play for Cuba noone is oppressed there.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#6 » by Sam195 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:40 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:It would have been cheaper for an NFL team to sign him to a backup QB contract. Now they'll shell out millions in damages probably. Good.

he is a disgrace to the country and the game. he has cost more damage to the league than the owners who allegedly colluded have done to him. I don't expect him to be awarded a dime in court and the owners didn't collude not to sign him. he is a flight risk and a locker room cancer. He should be locked up for being an enemy of the state and inciting verbal violence.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#7 » by Scalabrine » Wed May 30, 2018 10:48 pm

Sam195 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:It would have been cheaper for an NFL team to sign him to a backup QB contract. Now they'll shell out millions in damages probably. Good.

he is a disgrace to the country and the game. he has cost more damage to the league than the owners who allegedly colluded have done to him. I don't expect him to be awarded a dime in court and the owners didn't collude not to sign him. he is a flight risk and a locker room cancer. He should be locked up for being an enemy of the state and inciting verbal violence.

Are you talking about Trump or Kap?
Go Knicks!
davidavydave
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#8 » by davidavydave » Wed May 30, 2018 11:58 pm

Sam195 wrote:

Lol. Alright, I'll bite.

- He definitely cost the league a lot, but that's all damage that they put upon themselves. Terrible decision after terrible decision. This was going on well before Kaepernick was even in the league.
- A locker room cancer? Please list examples......you're just making that up.
- He should be in jail for literally just talking about racial inequality? Why are you so angry with him?
- Enemy of the state.....this is just insane for you to say this whether or not you're just overexaggerating your frustration.

I just wanted to see if you can elaborate on your points.
MetaKnick13
General Manager
And1: 343

Post#9 » by MetaKnick13 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:03 am

davidavydave wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

Lol. Alright, I'll bite.

- He definitely cost the league a lot, but that's all damage that they put upon themselves. Terrible decision after terrible decision. This was going on well before Kaepernick was even in the league.
- A locker room cancer? Please list examples......you're just making that up.
- He should be in jail for literally just talking about racial inequality? Why are you so angry with him?
- Enemy of the state.....this is just insane for you to say this whether or not you're just overexaggerating your frustration.

I just wanted to see if you can elaborate on your points.

He can't, because nothing he said there had any actual validity behind it.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,400

Post#10 » by Indomitable » Thu May 31, 2018 3:39 am

Scalabrine wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

Are you talking about Trump or Kap?

Kap was a crap quarterback
:banghead:
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,673

Post#11 » by dorkestra » Thu May 31, 2018 7:34 am

Good news that this is being exposed. Anyone protecting the league should take a deep look at themselves and what they choose to stand for. Life is shorter than you think - it's not some kind of little joke when you choose to stand for something negative. That will echo through eternity as your only contribution to society.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#12 » by JellosJigglin » Thu May 31, 2018 9:28 am

He was a backup QB who was a massive team distraction. Why should teams be required to sign up for that? It's not collusion if they all independently decided his talent wasn't good enough to overlook the bad publicity. Collusion implies the owners all got together and collectively decided they were going to black ball him. That's a giant leap. They each made that decision on their own and that's their right. Kap wasn't some transcendent star level player. He wasn't even that good.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#13 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu May 31, 2018 2:00 pm

Add this to the discussion...

Report: President Trump told Jerry Jones that NFL 'can't win' anthem issue
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/05/30/report-president-trump-told-jerry-jones-nfl-cant-win-anthem-issue

President Donald Trump was clear with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: He wasn't going to let up in his criticism of NFL players who were kneeling during the national anthem.

"This is a very winning, strong issue for me," Trump told the Cowboys owner in a phone call last fall, according to a sworn deposition Jones gave in the Colin Kaepernick grievance case that was obtained by The Wall Street Journal.

"Tell everybody, you can't win this one," Trump said, as recalled by Jones in the deposition, according to The Wall Street Journal. "This one lifts me."
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,828

Post#14 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 1, 2018 3:12 am

Sam195 wrote:

He cares more about this country than you ever will.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion