NBA draft & NCAA basketball

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Re: NBA draft & NCAA basketball 

Post#201 » by Moooose » Fri Jun 1, 2018 7:44 am

Also, why aren't we working out any prospects yet? From the seasons past, I think we usually start around the last week of May.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#202 » by Jake0890 » Sat Jun 2, 2018 3:31 am

Moooose wrote:Also, why aren't we working out any prospects yet? From the seasons past, I think we usually start around the last week of May.

found one for ya:

Read on Twitter
Moooose
Starter

Post#203 » by Moooose » Sat Jun 2, 2018 6:19 am

^ "Possibly" Indiana. This just made me more curious.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#204 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 2, 2018 2:01 pm

best available wildcat list got longer as Kentucky's Vanderbilt and Gabriel both stayed in the draft even though I see no mention of either in the top 60 of any mock I've found.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#205 » by Tom White » Sat Jun 2, 2018 5:58 pm

Moooose wrote:Also, why aren't we working out any prospects yet? From the seasons past, I think we usually start around the last week of May.

In part, it could be because the deadline for early entrants to withdraw their names has just passed on June 1st. There is a list at the top of the page in the RealGM News section with 100 entrants who have now withdrawn.

Some of the players mentioned in this thread (and other threads) who have removed their names from the draft include the Martin brothers from Nevada and Wilkes from UCLA.

Anyway, now that teams know who is in the draft for certain, we should see more about player workouts and such.

Side note: As I look down that list, fans of many Big Ten schools (including IU, PU, MSU, Iowa, Mich, and Wisc) are happier today than they were a couple days ago.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#206 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sat Jun 2, 2018 7:50 pm

Jake0890 wrote:The theory is that... at the 23rd pick, we've made a guarantee to a projected late first round player?

Seems fishy. Is this the kind of can't miss kid that we'd rather guarantee him than see who falls to us?

To be fair, i've never even heard of this kid.

I don't buy the fact that anyone made him a promise.

Apparently he dropped out of the combine and cancelled all workouts with teams.

For a late round promise, this makes no sense. If he has a promise anyway, why not work out at the combine and with teams to try and raise his value? Not to mention the possibility that another player falls and the team that promised takes that guy instead. Its a huge risk.

I think this is a ploy by his agent to get more teams looking at him. Kinda like a "He has a promise, what does another team see in this kid that we don't?" All of a sudden, other teams are scouting him on a deeper level.

Who knows though? To me, it makes no sense for a team to make a promise to someone with a late pick this far away from the draft.
Moooose
Starter

Post#207 » by Moooose » Sat Jun 2, 2018 8:21 pm

Tom White wrote:

In part, it could be because the deadline for early entrants to withdraw their names has just passed on June 1st. There is a list at the top of the page in the RealGM News section with 100 entrants who have now withdrawn.

Some of the players mentioned in this thread (and other threads) who have removed their names from the draft include the Martin brothers from Nevada and Wilkes from UCLA.

Anyway, now that teams know who is in the draft for certain, we should see more about player workouts and such.

Side note: As I look down that list, fans of many Big Ten schools (including IU, PU, MSU, Iowa, Mich, and Wisc) are happier today than they were a couple days ago.

Good point. I did not realize that last year's date for the NBA draft withdrawal was a full week earlier than this year's.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#208 » by 8305 » Sun Jun 3, 2018 11:18 am

granger05 wrote:In ESPN's latest mock draft they have us taking a kid out of Boise St. This caught my eye though:

Hutchison is reported to have a promise after he skipped the combine and canceled all his workouts, and some teams think Indiana could be the team that guaranteed him.

I don't recall us being a team to make verbal commitments pre-draft. Does Pritchard have a history of that?

I can see where this makes sense. Agents know that where a draftee goes can be huge. A good organization that can offer a nice opportunity is far better than getting drafted earlier where the fit isn’t as good. Pacers are a great landing spot. Rotation guy in year one, starter in year two.

I don’t recall Sabonis working out for us in 2016 yet we are told today he was number six on their board. Given the need I could see Hutch being maybe 15 or so on our board. Talk him in to skipping the combine and maybe he falls?
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: NBA draft & NCAA basketball 

Post#209 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 3, 2018 11:32 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:For a late round promise, this makes no sense. If he has a promise anyway, why not work out at the combine.

injury risk?

Sent from my phone.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#210 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Jun 3, 2018 5:29 pm

Wizop wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:For a late round promise, this makes no sense. If he has a promise anyway, why not work out at the combine.

injury risk?

Sent from my phone.

If he is that afraid of getting injured, that would be a red flag on its own.
Wizop
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NBA draft & NCAA basketball 

Post#211 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 3, 2018 5:32 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
Wizop wrote:

injury risk?

Sent from my phone.

have to disagree. with injuries like George's and Hayward's, being cautious is rational.

Sent from my phone.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: NBA draft & NCAA basketball 

Post#212 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Jun 3, 2018 6:09 pm

Wizop wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
Wizop wrote:
injury risk?

Sent from my phone.

have to disagree. with injuries like George's and Hayward's, being cautious is rational.

Sent from my phone.

Last thing we need is a player too afraid to work out.
Moooose
Starter

Post#213 » by Moooose » Wed Jun 6, 2018 4:34 am

Just noticed that the nbadraft website has Lonnie Walker falling to us at 23. This could be the best case scenario among the other mock drafts, IMO.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#214 » by Wizop » Wed Jun 6, 2018 1:52 pm

Moooose wrote:Just noticed that the nbadraft website has Lonnie Walker falling to us at 23.

while other sites and podcasts have him in the top 10 or 12. I'd prefer a taller player to backup Bogie but agree he could be a best case scenario. perhaps we can get the SF in the 2nd. I continue to like Butler's Martin there and am surprised that Vanderbilt and Gabriel didn't go back to school.

I'd love to see Vanderbilt get a two year, two way contract like the one we gave to Sumner last year. that was a very creative thing to do. it gave him a year to rehab and a 2nd year to prove himself. Vanderbilt missed most of his college year with foot injuries and might benefit from a similar contract.
Indy4Life
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#215 » by Indy4Life » Wed Jun 6, 2018 7:45 pm

Moooose wrote:Just noticed that the nbadraft website has Lonnie Walker falling to us at 23. This could be the best case scenario among the other mock drafts, IMO.

I don't see how he would fall to us...but would be fine if he did!
Wizop
RealGM

Post#216 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:12 am

Musa and Melton are now on my list with DiVincenzo and Bates-Diop. mocks are all over the place ranking wings and pgs.

Sent from my phone.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#217 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:47 pm

just read nbadraft.net updated mock. now I always preferred draft express until they became Insider but still they have a bunch of guys I like well into the 30s. if they're right, I'd call Philly and Atlanta and try to buy picks.

Sent from my phone.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#218 » by Tom White » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Wizop wrote:just read nbadraft.net updated mock. now I always preferred draft express until they became Insider but still they have a bunch of guys I like well into the 30s. if they're right, I'd call Philly and Atlanta and try to buy picks.

Sent from my phone.

Can't say I'm really thrilled by their projections for the Pacers draft picks.

But, that is because I've never heard of either one, nor seen either one play. :lol:

They may both be fine players, I just don't know diddly about them.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#219 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Tom White wrote:They may both be fine players, I just don't know diddly about them.

okobo at 30 is a French PG who has had some success. don't know Kulboka. sounds like a stash but Vorda may know more.

Sent from my phone.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#220 » by Tom White » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Wizop wrote:
okobo at 30 is a French PG who has had some success. don't know Kulboka. sounds like a stash but Vorda may know more.

Sent from my phone.

I guess this is just what the people behind mock drafts do. They assign all the players we know well to other teams, depriving us of any chance at all to argue over them. Then they assign to us players we have no idea about. How can we possibly have a heated debate over players we have never even seen? This is obviously a conspiracy by NBAdraft.net to drive Pacers fans crazy. :crazy: :lol:

EDIT: OK, just went back and re-read the write-ups on those two guys. This time trying to pay more attention.

Honest opinion? I felt better about them when I didn't know anything about them. Not impressed by the write-up on either one. There are better players available at either draft spot.

Return to Indiana Pacers