ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Re: Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V 

Post#721 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Jun 5, 2018 12:07 am

Greenie wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:Wanna know why Drake Put on Blackface to me? Cause its obvious there was a huge disconnect growing up.

Yeah. I must agree. He didn’t grow up in this.

Black people that understand what their blackness in this world regardless of sex, gender or economic status means would never be ok with doing those photos. It would never even be a thought to begin with.

I don’t like LeBron James but I would bet my life he wouldn’t be caught dead in blackface.

Kanye and Drake are both disconnected(for different reasons) and both are cancelled.

Canada can have Drake back now.

The more I think about it the more it’s actually bothering my spirt. I promise you Drake is way more mindful and respectful to to his Jewish heritage. That’s fine because he is Jewish, but can’t sit with us anymore. He gets a side eye instead.

DAMN Greenie thats a excellent point! he would never use something like thats disrespectful to Jewish Culture or People.

He knows better...

Seven Costanza
Ballboy
And1: 82

Post#722 » by Seven Costanza » Tue Jun 5, 2018 4:08 am

It's crazy how much has changed in the last 10-12 years. I remember when Dave Chappelle did black face and white face on his show and it didn't generate much controversy. I wonder if it would garner a different response in today's world.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#723 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Jun 5, 2018 4:11 am

Seven Costanza wrote:It's crazy how much has changed in the last 10-12 years. I remember when Dave Chappelle did black face and white face on his show and it didn't generate much controversy. I wonder if it would garner a different response in today's world.

Dave never did Black Face. Where did u see this
Seven Costanza
Ballboy

Post#724 » by Seven Costanza » Tue Jun 5, 2018 4:16 am

I think it was the third season that only had 3 episodes. The racial pixie sketch I believe.
I dunno it's been a while since I've seen it but I'm pretty sure.
Slicin N Dicin
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#725 » by Slicin N Dicin » Tue Jun 5, 2018 4:19 am

IllmaticHandler wrote:
Seven Costanza wrote:It's crazy how much has changed in the last 10-12 years. I remember when Dave Chappelle did black face and white face on his show and it didn't generate much controversy. I wonder if it would garner a different response in today's world.

he's probably referring to the Pixie sketch from season 3

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/s191yw/chappelle-s-show-stereotype-pixies---black-pixie---uncensored

I remember it had a bit of controversy, and it caused Chapelle to take that break:

The black pixie—played by Chappelle—wears blackface and tries to convince blacks to act in stereotypical ways. Chappelle thought the sketch was funny, the kind of thing his friends would laugh at. But at the taping, one spectator, a white man, laughed particularly loud and long. His laughter struck Chappelle as wrong, and he wondered if the new season of his show had gone from sending up stereotypes to merely reinforcing them. "When he laughed, it made me uncomfortable," says Chappelle. "As a matter of fact, that was the last thing I shot before I told myself I gotta take f______ time out after this. Because my head almost exploded."
BaF 1.0 - Bucks: Inaugural BaF Champs 2018

It's Been Real BaF!

Check out the No Blood No Foul Podcast below with your boys from Real GM:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Seven Costanza
Ballboy

Post#726 » by Seven Costanza » Tue Jun 5, 2018 4:19 am

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ecvsx

Couldn't find a working link to the sketch I referenced but from the same episode you can see glimpses of it popping up in a different sketch
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#727 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Jun 5, 2018 4:22 am

Slicin N Dicin wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

he's probably referring to the Pixie sketch from season 3

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/s191yw/chappelle-s-show-stereotype-pixies---black-pixie---uncensored

I remember it had a bit of controversy, and it caused Chapelle to take that break:

The black pixie—played by Chappelle—wears blackface and tries to convince blacks to act in stereotypical ways. Chappelle thought the sketch was funny, the kind of thing his friends would laugh at. But at the taping, one spectator, a white man, laughed particularly loud and long. His laughter struck Chappelle as wrong, and he wondered if the new season of his show had gone from sending up stereotypes to merely reinforcing them. "When he laughed, it made me uncomfortable," says Chappelle. "As a matter of fact, that was the last thing I shot before I told myself I gotta take f______ time out after this. Because my head almost exploded."

Well at least Dave Knew he played himself by doing it. Kinda proves the point that there is really no justification.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#728 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Jun 5, 2018 4:29 am

I just also realized I never watched none of the episodes from that season. Thats why I was stuck on when did Dave do this. I respected Dave for putting his Honor before the Money and walked away...Just never cared to watch that season.
RiseOfTheEmpire
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,706

Post#729 » by RiseOfTheEmpire » Tue Jun 5, 2018 5:59 am

Greenie wrote:Image

Edit:

Your post was in the beginning, and I was meandering slowly through it and thought the picture of a dark beauty would be nice to offset a blackface clown and your affinity for the Kelly Oubre types ((lmaoooo)).....but this was before you saw Drake's "big reveal" :lol: .

I was using hindsight to rib you because I know your love for Drake, but I see going through the thread that you saw the light. 8-) Just providing some context....I wasn't trying to be disrespectful with Lupita's pic.
"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed."
RiseOfTheEmpire
Bench Warmer

Post#730 » by RiseOfTheEmpire » Tue Jun 5, 2018 7:42 am

IllmaticHandler wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:They're talking about people with no self respect. Honestly if he didn't lie about the blackface it would've been better for him. Or maybe he didn't lie and he's just been shucking and jiving like Push said since he got some money.

AGain I'm not here to say what should/shouldn't offend people but the blackface thing I thought was a valid explanation. It was an art project/short film made by dudes based in Toronto which seemingly missed the mark and may have been distasteful. It is what it is. I don't think drake is lying here...

where has this speaking on Black issues since he been famous at? Funny he made a statement then and has been quiet since he got on....

Dont fall for it...Its no more Valid that any other PR spin in Damage control...

There is no Valid reason for Black Face. With all the schit Black people go thru in North America...you dont see us using Black face to make a point.

I can't believe the people trying to find loopholes for this guy....have they not heard his music????????????????

I'm not black, but I've listened to rap music all my life because it was the only kind of music that talked about what I saw outside my door...I could relate to the words....when did Drake ever put out a song like that? Where's his Dear Mama? Where's his Juicy?

People believing Drake's lies...where was this in his music? Whenever a rapper of Drake's caliber has come out, the first thing he talks about is his struggle and his come up, it can be financial, racial, etc...but how come we are just now hearing about Drake's issues with being a black man living in this world??????

You can see the struggle and growth of an artist through his music..this dude talks about the same crap...his lifestyle..money...fame....where was the song about his upbringing, his parents, his young life as a struggling black actor......black anything?????? It's not there because he didn't go through ****.

My theory, as an outsider looking in.....he forgot about the one drop rule and was fine being a Jewish kid in Canada, thought maybe if he put on black face he would be cool with the white crowd...white crowd equals movie roles.

But he got tired of being stuck in a wheelchair and got into rapping.............and he had to flip it....now being black would be the thing to do....oh yeah, dad did something with music, he was black too, I can do this without the Vanilla Ice jokes cuz I got cred...see my hair??? What do you mean it's not long enough to tell???

This guy isn't just a culture vulture, he's a chameleon who changes his color to suit his needs.
RiseOfTheEmpire
Bench Warmer

Post#731 » by RiseOfTheEmpire » Tue Jun 5, 2018 7:55 am

IllmaticHandler wrote:As Black people we know what type of dude Drake is.

This cat never identified with blackness until it was convent for him. Its why he ducks all race issues. This dude Grew up Identifying as white for a portion of his life, its obvious. Its why the disconnect was there to put on the blackface. Thats the actions of an "outsider" . cause like I have said before...nobody Black does this type of schit to make our plight known especially on something that nobody will see. Dude was a nobody before he even did that schit. We would never use that medium to express our struggle in that manner. the "powers that be" are white men. Drake is Jewish and does not want to upset white America who made him rich. He knows to toe the line. This mofo aint pro black. Beyonce got more Heart than that Mofo.

I was making my way through the thread but couldn't resist to make my points then came across your post.....we are not even the same color but we can feel and think the same way, simply by using our head and logic.

I see why you always clowned this guy, now. I never cared because like I said, I can't relate to his music, and it's my main reason for listening to rap music.

Good on you...it angers me when people can't see their own plight and believe the lies that are shoved down their throats to make them believe a false narrative about themselves, I can't imagine what it does to you.
RiseOfTheEmpire
Bench Warmer

Post#732 » by RiseOfTheEmpire » Tue Jun 5, 2018 8:05 am

IllmaticHandler wrote:As Black people we know what type of dude Drake is.

This cat never identified with blackness until it was convent for him. Its why he ducks all race issues. This dude Grew up Identifying as white for a portion of his life, its obvious. Its why the disconnect was there to put on the blackface. Thats the actions of an "outsider" . cause like I have said before...nobody Black does this type of schit to make our plight known especially on something that nobody will see. Dude was a nobody before he even did that schit. We would never use that medium to express our struggle in that manner. the "powers that be" are white men. Drake is Jewish and does not want to upset white America who made him rich. He knows to toe the line. This mofo aint pro black. Beyonce got more Heart than that Mofo.

"Drake then moved to one of the city's affluent neighbourhoods, Forest Hill, in 2000.[47][48] When asked about the move to Forest Hill, Drake replied, "[We had] a half of a house we could live in. The other people had the top half, we had the bottom half. I lived in the basement, my mom lived on the first floor. It was not big, it was not luxurious. It was what we could afford."

This was his "struggle" that lead him to smear his face with paint and be a social justice warrior....for one single **** time in his life, never to be brought up again, even though that is the foundation of the genre of music he lives off of.

Sheeeeiiit...I wish I had a first floor private house apartment and a basement to myself, would sure beat sleeping with 2 siblings and my parents in one room in a two bedroom because the other room had to be rented out to afford a roof over our heads.

I'm gonna go check if I have any African dna and if I do.....it's time to make a soundcloud page. :lol: **** it, with the way hip-hop is accepting of things nowadays....even a no ass having white girl can get get her twerk on and claim it....I think I'll just skip the test. Time to reincarnate Apache Indian. :lol:

It's easy to see man...his black dad walked out on him....why the **** would he not relate to his white Jewish mother's side? Clear as day, obvious as a light skin dude putting on black face. He needs to stop with the lies he's telling in order to pull on the most fragile heart strings of black people, the ones about their race. It's devious.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#733 » by E-Balla » Tue Jun 5, 2018 11:39 am

Greenie wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:Wanna know why Drake Put on Blackface to me? Cause its obvious there was a huge disconnect growing up.

Black people that understand what their blackness in this world regardless of sex, gender or economic status means would never be ok with doing those photos. It would never even be a thought to begin with.

I don’t like LeBron James but I would bet my life he wouldn’t be caught dead in blackface.

Kanye and Drake are both disconnected(for different reasons) and both are cancelled.

The more I think about it the more it’s actually bothering my spirt. I promise you Drake is way more mindful and respectful to to his Jewish heritage. That’s fine because he is Jewish, but can’t sit with us anymore. He gets a side eye instead.

Truth. Bet money Drake will never be out here with a Hitler stache or red arm band but blackface is all good.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#734 » by E-Balla » Tue Jun 5, 2018 12:05 pm

Didn't generate much controversy? He left $50 million on the table and ran away to Africa/attempted the Hajj (depending on which rumor you believe) after he filmed that of course people didn't pile on Dave he already realized he had to look at himself and get back with his roots after that ****. CC had to air a 3 episode season hosted by Donnell Rawlings and Charlie Murphy. If anything the Chappelle Show shows the seriousness of blackface. And forever screw CC for airing that skit knowing he didn't want it out there.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#735 » by whocares1 » Tue Jun 5, 2018 12:06 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Truth. Bet money Drake will never be out here with a Hitler stache or red arm band but blackface is all good.

“Well, actually I was born Jewish
I guess at this point you could say I was born foolish.”

He does say this on an old song so I guess he’s anti semitic as well.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,977

Post#736 » by Fury » Tue Jun 5, 2018 12:19 pm

Greenie thinks she can just get away from Drake like that. Keep the lights on, Greenie

Spoiler:
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#737 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Jun 5, 2018 12:43 pm

E-Balla wrote:

Didn't generate much controversy? He left $50 million on the table and ran away to Africa/attempted the Hajj (depending on which rumor you believe) after he filmed that of course people didn't pile on Dave he already realized he had to look at himself and get back with his roots after that ****. CC had to air a 3 episode season hosted by Donnell Rawlings and Charlie Murphy. If anything the Chappelle Show shows the seriousness of blackface. And forever screw CC for airing that skit knowing he didn't want it out there.

Yeah they forced the issue on that one I remember. Those 3 episodes should have been canned. Its why I never watched that last year. He was already gone. His response was real. He knew he **** up. Did not give the BS response Drake did that nobody is falling for in accepting as valid.

side note...One of My fave videos on how Hollywood tried to get Dave to sell out and he caught himself before it took all of his integrity.... He even states he wanted to walk away from the show before season 3. He prob never even wrote that Black Face Skit.

Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#738 » by Meat » Tue Jun 5, 2018 1:24 pm

Greenie wrote:

you're speaking as an american though, **** like this hardly matters\applies to non american blacks
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#739 » by E-Balla » Tue Jun 5, 2018 6:17 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

Yeah they forced the issue on that one I remember. Those 3 episodes should have been canned. Its why I never watched that last year. He was already gone. His response was real. He knew he **** up. Did not give the BS response Drake did that nobody is falling for in accepting as valid.

side note...One of My fave videos on how Hollywood tried to get Dave to sell out and he caught himself before it took all of his integrity.... He even states he wanted to walk away from the show before season 3. He prob never even wrote that Black Face Skit.

He's admitted to at least helping to write it. It was that laugh during the filming that let him know the joke was on him though and respect to him for quitting the second he realized it didn't come off like he wanted it to. Dude owned his mistake. Drake could've done the same by going "I was young and foolish when I did that photoshoot" but truth is he probably still doesn't see the issue and he just said what he could to attempt to save face.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#740 » by Marcus » Tue Jun 5, 2018 6:44 pm

So J-Prince is on his album rollout/#nobeef18 tour.

Should Push respect this and take the dub?

Do we expect Drake to mention NOTHING of the beef going forward? So we shouldn't hear anything on Scorpion in reference to anything outside of Sophie and Adonis?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY

Return to New York Knicks