Post#341 » by Schad » Wed Jun 6, 2018 9:52 pm

**** your asterisk.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,049

Re: 2018 MLB Draft - June 4 - 6 

Post#342 » by Schad » Wed Jun 6, 2018 10:15 pm

Took MLB's 104th-ranked prospect in the 36th round. Probably don't have the money to sign him, but might be a backup if something (like Kloffenstein) falls through.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#343 » by vaff87 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 3:32 am

I wonder if Luke Heimlich will ever get an opportunity? Went undrafted again.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#344 » by Schad » Thu Jun 7, 2018 3:52 am

vaff87 wrote:I wonder if Luke Heimlich will ever get an opportunity? Went undrafted again.

Might not. It's such a messy situation, and one that really isn't helped by his post-guilty plea denial, frankly. I'm dubious whether a team would have taken a chance on him anyway, but it's also impossible for teams to rationalize it as "he was a troubled juvenile, he sought treatment and turned his life around, but mostly he pitches good and we'll overlook just about anything for that" given that he and his family are stating that he is innocent but took a guilty plea for byzantine legal reasons. A team would effectively have to take the position that they believe a little girl had lied about being sexually abused, for years.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#345 » by vaff87 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 4:09 am

Schad wrote:
vaff87 wrote:I wonder if Luke Heimlich will ever get an opportunity? Went undrafted again.

Might not. It's such a messy situation, and one that really isn't helped by his post-guilty plea denial, frankly. I'm dubious whether a team would have taken a chance on him anyway, but it's also impossible for teams to rationalize it as "he was a troubled juvenile, he sought treatment and turned his life around, but mostly he pitches good and we'll overlook just about anything for that" given that he and his family are stating that he is innocent but took a guilty plea for byzantine legal reasons. A team would effectively have to take the position that they believe a little girl had lied about being sexually abused, for years.

Yeah, that probably isn’t helping matters. Certainly complicating things.

I wonder what happens with him? “You can’t play in the MLB, go play in Korea”. Korean teams: “we don’t want a pedophile on our team”. “Go be an insurance salesman.” Insurance company: “we don’t want a pedophile working here”. Where does it end? What does he have to do? Do people want him to dig ditches the rest of his life?
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,444

Post#346 » by Cyrus » Thu Jun 7, 2018 5:15 am

So with the draft over, how does everyone feel about the Jays draft? Assuming we sign most?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#347 » by Schad » Thu Jun 7, 2018 6:11 am

Can't accuse them of being safe, that's for sure. The Groshans/Kloffenstein gambit was creative, and could pay real dividends. I quite like the Barger pick, and Conine's got upside if he can be convinced that not every ball needs to go 550 feet.

It's not the draft I'd have gone with, but it's not one that I'm upset about, either.

Will mention this from Kiley McDaniel:

12:13
Tommy N.: Are you surprised Liberatore signed for slot did he really just want to start his career or was there something in his medicals to make him slide? Granted 3+ mil is still a lot of money.

12:14
Kiley McDaniel: Wasn’t medicals. I’ve been told the story and am pretty sure it’s correct, won’t be sharing for a little while at least for reasons you guys can probably assume. Great deal for TB.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#348 » by vaff87 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 11:17 am

Schad wrote:Can't accuse them of being safe, that's for sure. The Groshans/Kloffenstein gambit was creative, and could pay real dividends. I quite like the Barger pick, and Conine's got upside if he can be convinced that not every ball needs to go 550 feet.

It's not the draft I'd have gone with, but it's not one that I'm upset about, either.

Will mention this from Kiley McDaniel:

12:13
Tommy N.: Are you surprised Liberatore signed for slot did he really just want to start his career or was there something in his medicals to make him slide? Granted 3+ mil is still a lot of money.

12:14
Kiley McDaniel: Wasn’t medicals. I’ve been told the story and am pretty sure it’s correct, won’t be sharing for a little while at least for reasons you guys can probably assume. Great deal for TB.

This is confusing. I figured he was talking about some incident or character concerns in general, but I'm not so sure he would end it with a "Great deal for Tampa", after insinuating a "was accused of rape".
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,444

Post#349 » by Cyrus » Thu Jun 7, 2018 3:16 pm

Someone start the MLB Draft signing thread, that we always have!

And as well Met4A, start that new international signing period thread.
phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Post#350 » by phillipmike » Thu Jun 7, 2018 3:25 pm

https://www.mlb.com/news/these-teams-did-the-best-in-the-mlb-draft/c-280160484

Best draft with no extra picks: Blue Jays
Unlike the teams above, Toronto had only two choices on the first day, which turned into a pair of sluggers in Texas high school third baseman Jordan Groshans (first) and Duke outfielder Griffin Conine (second), the son of two-time All-Star Jeff. Right-hander Adam Kloffenstein (third), Groshan's teammate at Magnolia (Texas) High, comes with a heavy low-90s two-seam fastball, a four-seamer that reaches 96 mph, a sharp slider that he can turn into a bigger-breaking curveball or a harder cutter, and a tumbling changeup. Other pickups of note: Texas Christian righty Sean Wymer (fourth), who also has a deep repertoire, and Florida prep shortstop Addison Barger (sixth), who has a strong arm and the potential for at least average tools across the board.

Callis also liked the Jays Day 2;

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-hauls-on-mlb-draft-day-2/c-280001366

2. Blue Jays
Texas high school right-hander Adam Kloffenstein (third round, No. 43) has an athletic 6-foot-5 frame and a wide variety of promising pitches: a heavy low-90s two-seam fastball, a four-seamer that reaches 96 mph, a sharp slider that he can turn into a bigger-breaking curveball or a harder cutter, and a tumbling changeup. Righty Sean Wymer (fourth round, No. 85) also has a deep repertoire and succeeded in multiple roles at Texas Christian. Florida prep shortstop Addison Barger (sixth round, No. 143) may wind up at second base, but he has a strong arm and the potential for at least average tools across the board.

--------------

For Reference Callis also liked the Jays 2017 Draft;

https://www.mlb.com/news/twins-used-no-1-pick-to-have-best-2017-draft/c-236553468

5. Blue Jays
One of three teams with two first-round picks, Toronto used its selections on the top college shortstop (North Carolina's Logan Warmoth) and the owner of the best fastball in the college ranks (JC of Central Florida right-hander Nate Pearson).

California prep right-hander Hagen Danner (second) can also light up radar guns, and interested some teams more as a catcher. University of San Diego catcher Riley Adams (third) has impressive arm strength and power potential, while University of Maryland shortstop Kevin Smith (fourth) and William & Mary second baseman Cullen Large (fifth) are offensive-minded middle infielders.

Wake Forest right-hander Donnie Sellers (11th) and Minnesota State-Mankato lefty Brody Rodning (13th) are quality third-day selections. Want a sleeper from the really late rounds? Try University of South Carolina-Sumter outfielder DJ Neal (26th), who began his college career as a wide receiver at the University of South Carolina.
emptytheclip
Sixth Man
And1: 3,911

Post#351 » by emptytheclip » Thu Jun 7, 2018 3:42 pm

13:00 for Adam Kloffenstein
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#352 » by Schad » Thu Jun 7, 2018 8:21 pm

vaff87 wrote:This is confusing. I figured he was talking about some incident or character concerns in general, but I'm not so sure he would end it with a "Great deal for Tampa", after insinuating a "was accused of rape".

Falling 8-10 spots and being a good deal suggests something much more mild in the vague, generally stupid "character concerns" bucket. Like, I dunno, got caught with a beer or missing a practice or some other moral panic.
**** your asterisk.
phillipmike
Rookie

Post#353 » by phillipmike » Fri Jun 8, 2018 12:21 am

Toronto Blue Jays

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/american-league-draft-recap/

We like Jordan Groshans and, though he’s a little bit of a reach in a vacuum, think he might sign under slot at the 12th pick and allow the Jays to sign his high-school teammate, Adam Kloffenstein (3) over slot, which makes reaching for Groshans, who has huge power, justifiable… Griffin Conine (2) came on strong down late in the college season. He has plus raw power but poor plate coverage… Sean Wymer (4) is a strike-throwing righty from TCU whose stuff is better in two- to three-inning shots… Florida prep SS Addison Barger (6) doesn’t have loud tools, but he can stick in the dirt and hit… Kent State RHP Joey Murray (8) could turn into a Yusmeiro Petit type who makes fringe stuff work due to an invisiball… John Aiello (14) was a famous high schooler who went to school, hit 20 bombs as a sophomore, then did nothing as a junior but still has plus raw power and is alright at third base… UNC RHP Josh Hiatt (16) has a plus splitter but just an average heater and curveball.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#354 » by Schad » Fri Jun 8, 2018 1:04 am

Forgot to mention John Aiello. He was an absolute god in one of the older OOTPs.
**** your asterisk.
phillipmike
Rookie

Post#355 » by phillipmike » Fri Jun 8, 2018 3:07 pm

Jays Draft Signing Table;

https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2018/6/8/17441150/2018-blue-jays-mlb-draft-signing-table

Looks like Groshans, Kloffenstein, Bec and Barger will sign.

Caracci stated that he is going back to school.
wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Post#356 » by wamco » Fri Jun 8, 2018 10:48 pm

Assuming too 3 picks sign, what is your current top 10 prospect list?
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#357 » by torontoaces04 » Fri Jun 8, 2018 11:26 pm

Schad wrote:Forgot to mention John Aiello. He was an absolute god in one of the older OOTPs.

50% chance he turned into the best player in the game. :lol:
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 408

Post#358 » by manjusaka » Sat Jun 9, 2018 7:31 am

wamco wrote:Assuming too 3 picks sign, what is your current top 10 prospect list?

personally i won't rank any of the three ahead of the guys who are performing well in the minor league right now.

Guerrero Jr, Bichette, Biggio, Jansen, Smith, Borucki...

As much as I want them to success as SP, I still see SRF, Romano and Yennsy Diaz as a future high leverage RP.
There is nothing wrong with it, Wade Davis was a SP in the minor but he turnout to be a elite RP in the major. There are plenty example like this, Papelbon is another one. Those type of pitchers are still very valuable.

I think Nate Pearson and Adam Kloffenstein are 50-50 between them. Both are tall athletes with repeatable delivery. One with bigger fastball, the other has deeper arsenal.

Alford is worrisome, Young is catching up quickly with equally good raw tools.

so... maybe something like this?

1. Guerrero Jr.
2. Bichette
3. Jansen
4. Biggio
5. Borucki

6. Smith
7. Alford

8. Groshans
9. Pearson
10. Kloffenstein

11. SRF
12. Zuech
13. Young
14. Conine

anyways, this looks lot better than the it was two years ago.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#359 » by Schad » Sat Jun 9, 2018 8:14 am

I'd rank them as:

Guerrero, Bichette, Jansen, Alford (despite his awful season thus far, though he'll plummet if this keeps up), Borucki/Pearson (Pearson ranked equal with Borucki solely because of concerns about his health)...

...and then things get awfully tricky. Biggio/SRF/Zeuch/Hiraldo/Smith/Warmoth/Pardinho/Gurriel are all in that FV 45 to fringe 50 range for the time being and could all feature there depending on taste. Groshans/Kloffenstein/Conine are probably in the same area, you've also got your Taylors and Youngs and Diazes and whatnot that could jump up.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#360 » by vaff87 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 12:52 pm

Schad wrote:I'd rank them as:

Guerrero, Bichette, Jansen, Alford (despite his awful season thus far, though he'll plummet if this keeps up), Borucki/Pearson (Pearson ranked equal with Borucki solely because of concerns about his health)...

...and then things get awfully tricky. Biggio/SRF/Zeuch/Hiraldo/Smith/Warmoth/Pardinho/Gurriel are all in that FV 45 to fringe 50 range for the time being and could all feature there depending on taste. Groshans/Kloffenstein/Conine are probably in the same area, you've also got your Taylors and Youngs and Diazes and whatnot that could jump up.

Another guy that we’ll presumably have before the mid-season rankings is Orelvis Martinez.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays