ImageImageImageImageImage

New York Knicks off season thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knicksrule2k4
Analyst
And1: 926

Re: NY Knicks off season thread - Ast Coach updates pg 12&13 

Post#721 » by Knicksrule2k4 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 11:42 pm

AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#722 » by AllanHoustonFan » Thu Jun 7, 2018 11:48 pm

Knicksrule2k4 wrote:http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/2018/06/nba_rumors_lebron_james_to_new_york_knicks_ex-knic.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Kenyon Martin says LeBron will come to Knicks lol

I guess Kenyon Martin has never heard of cap space.
#MKGA
Knicksrule2k4
Analyst
And1: 926

Post#723 » by Knicksrule2k4 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 11:50 pm

AllanHoustonFan wrote:
Knicksrule2k4 wrote:http://www.nj.com/knicks/index.ssf/2018/06/nba_rumors_lebron_james_to_new_york_knicks_ex-knic.html#incart_river_mobile_index

lol agreed. He said George and Lebron. Knicks can’t even afford one of them.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#724 » by GEOLINK » Thu Jun 7, 2018 11:52 pm

Knicksrule2k4 wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:

If LeBron tells the Knicks he wants to sign with them. Then you find a f*cking way to clear cap space by any means.
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#725 » by AllanHoustonFan » Thu Jun 7, 2018 11:53 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
Knicksrule2k4 wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:I guess Kenyon Martin has never heard of cap space.

If LeBron tells the Knicks he wants to sign with them. Then you find a f*cking way to clear cap space by any means.

But why would Lebron want to come to a depleted roster worse than what he has right now.
#MKGA
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#726 » by GEOLINK » Thu Jun 7, 2018 11:57 pm

AllanHoustonFan wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
Knicksrule2k4 wrote:

But why would Lebron want to come to a depleted roster worse than what he has right now.

If he wants to erase the argument of "better than Jordan" and cement his legacy as the all-time great. He does what Jordan never did and come to New York to take the Knicks to the Finals and compete for a championship.

As for your comment, if LeBron does come here. As they found a way to clear cap space to sign him, you do whatever it takes to build a team around him. Whether that means getting PG as well. Whatever it takes.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,265

Post#727 » by DOT » Fri Jun 8, 2018 12:11 am

GEOLINK wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:If LeBron tells the Knicks he wants to sign with them. Then you find a f*cking way to clear cap space by any means.

If he wants to erase the argument of "better than Jordan" and cement his legacy as the all-time great. He does what Jordan never did and come to New York to take the Knicks to the Finals and compete for a championship.

As for your comment, if LeBron does come here. As they found a way to clear cap space to sign him, you do whatever it takes to build a team around him. Whether that means getting PG as well. Whatever it takes.

Only way we can do it is if Kanter opts out and we trade Noah which will cost us 2 firsts

Before I go any further, I want to clarify: I do not want to do this, and if it were up to me, I'd say no, but for the sake of hypotheticals, this is what I got

Say we get out of Noah's contract without giving up 9, Kanter opts out, and we re-sign KOQ using our exception (about 6 mil a year, which is reasonable for a backup, but a paycut over what he might get somewhere else), we'd have roughly 30 million in cap. Not the absolute max, but close enough that if LeBron really wants to come here (he doesn't), he'd take it. And assuming Beas will be back too on a vet min

Best case scenario imo is Mikal Bridges is available at 9

Frank/Burke
Lee/Tim
Mikal/LFT
LeBron/Beas
KP/KOQ

Conference championship appearance, minimum. Probably not a ring, but closer than we've been in 20 years

Again, this is purely hypothetical, I do not think we should do this
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#728 » by GEOLINK » Fri Jun 8, 2018 12:15 am

K-DOT wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:But why would Lebron want to come to a depleted roster worse than what he has right now.

Only way we can do it is if Kanter opts out and we trade Noah which will cost us 2 firsts

Before I go any further, I want to clarify: I do not want to do this, and if it were up to me, I'd say no, but for the sake of hypotheticals, this is what I got

Say we get out of Noah's contract without giving up 9, Kanter opts out, and we re-sign KOQ using our exception (about 6 mil a year, which is reasonable for a backup, but a paycut over what he might get somewhere else), we'd have roughly 30 million in cap. Not the absolute max, but close enough that if LeBron really wants to come here (he doesn't), he'd take it. And assuming Beas will be back too on a vet min

Frank/Burke
Lee/Tim
Mikal/LFT
LeBron/Beas
KP/KOQ

Conference championship appearance, minimum. Probably not a ring, but closer than we've been in 20 years

I wouldn't want it either but it all lies on LeBron, honestly.

If his people call Mills/Perry to tell them he's coming to the Knicks. You have to figure out a way.

Maybe dealing future picks to deal Kanter if he opts back in, stretching Noah, trading Lee/Lance Thomas.

Again, not saying I want this to happen. We're just talking hypotheticals.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,265

Post#729 » by DOT » Fri Jun 8, 2018 12:18 am

GEOLINK wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:If he wants to erase the argument of "better than Jordan" and cement his legacy as the all-time great. He does what Jordan never did and come to New York to take the Knicks to the Finals and compete for a championship.

Frank/Burke
Lee/Tim
Mikal/LFT
LeBron/Beas
KP/KOQ

If his people call Mills/Perry to tell them he's coming to the Knicks. You have to figure out a way.

Maybe dealing future picks to deal Kanter if he opts back in, stretching Noah, trading Lee/Lance Thomas.

I think if Kanter opts in, we could trade him without giving up picks. He isn't a negative asset like Noah, and he will be expiring

And Lee should stay on the team if we're trying to compete, he isn't terrible defensively and he shoots 40% from 3
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#730 » by fatalogic » Fri Jun 8, 2018 12:20 am

K-DOT wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:But why would Lebron want to come to a depleted roster worse than what he has right now.

Frank/Burke
Lee/Tim
Mikal/LFT
LeBron/Beas
KP/KOQ

Agreed if he really wanted to come here they would find a way to make it happen but it would destroy the roster more than that I think. In addition to what you have Frank and the 2018 are definitly gone. If Lebron wants Paul George, CP3 or Kawhi, then add KP and 2019+ firsts to that list. Basically not having the cap space doesn't really matter it just would just end up in another Brooklyn Nets situation if not worse.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#731 » by GEOLINK » Fri Jun 8, 2018 12:21 am

K-DOT wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Only way we can do it is if Kanter opts out and we trade Noah which will cost us 2 firsts

Frank/Burke
Lee/Tim
Mikal/LFT
LeBron/Beas
KP/KOQ

I think if Kanter opts in, we could trade him without giving up picks. He isn't a negative asset like Noah, and he will be expiring

And Lee should stay on the team if we're trying to compete, he isn't terrible defensively and he shoots 40% from 3

Yeah Lee isn't too bad. I was just thinking who else we can trade to free up space on the cap to sign someone else like PG.

But yeah, for LeBron to cement his legacy and do something Jordan never did and come here and take us to the Final. Which won't be easy next year with Boston, I understand. But it'll be the closest we've ever gone since '99. That's major on his career and impact.

Again, I'm not gonna gas myself up like this 2010. But it's interesting talking about it. I know it's not gonna happen, it's whatever. I'm over it.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#732 » by GEOLINK » Fri Jun 8, 2018 12:24 am

fatalogic wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:If he wants to erase the argument of "better than Jordan" and cement his legacy as the all-time great. He does what Jordan never did and come to New York to take the Knicks to the Finals and compete for a championship.

Frank/Burke
Lee/Tim
Mikal/LFT
LeBron/Beas
KP/KOQ

Agreed if he really wanted to come here they would find a way to make it happen but it would destroy the roster more than that I think. In addition to what you have Frank and the 2018 are definitly gone. If Lebron wants Paul George, CP3 or Kawhi, then add KP and 2019+ firsts to that list. Basically not having the cap space doesn't really matter it just would just end up in another Brooklyn Nets situation if not worse.

I think they would keep KP, honestly. Trading away maybe 2 future first round picks would be the extreme in this scenario. Brooklyn got fleeced, this will not be a fleece.

A 33-34 year old LeBron is still better than anything the Nets got in that **** of a deal. LeBron for 2-3 years who can take us deep into the Playoffs is still worth whatever the Nets ultimately got and is better than where we are right now.
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#733 » by fatalogic » Fri Jun 8, 2018 12:28 am

GEOLINK wrote:I think they would keep KP, honestly. Trading away maybe 2 future first round picks would be the extreme in this scenario. Brooklyn got fleeced, this will not be a fleece.

A 33-34 year old LeBron is still better than anything the Nets got in that **** of a deal. LeBron for 2-3 years who can take us deep into the Playoffs is still worth whatever the Nets ultimately got and is better than where we are right now.

It's more I don't thin Lebron would want KP especially when he knows he can probably get someone who fits better with him. When he went to Miami and came back to the Cavs the rosters were pretty much tossed for his guys. I know he likes stretch 4s but I wonder if KPs injury history and lack of playoff experience will turn him off of him. His window for more rings is really small with the Celtics and 76ers on his heels and the Warriors out west. So I'm just thinking he would want established stars on the roster. Again I'm with you, I would not want this to happen but it's an interesting hypothetical.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#734 » by MP4LIFE » Fri Jun 8, 2018 12:32 am

LeBron is not coming to the Knicks...stop.

There are literally 29 better destinations to go to.
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#735 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Fri Jun 8, 2018 12:36 am

LMAO at the thought of Lebron coming here

Why even waste time talking about something as delusional as this? Kenyon Martin is an idiot.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#736 » by GEOLINK » Fri Jun 8, 2018 12:39 am

MP4LIFE wrote:LeBron is not coming to the Knicks...stop.

There are literally 29 better destinations to go to.

The Suns are a better destination then us? Okay.

What is there time to talk about again? There's nothing major going on that we've halted the thread with our little fantasy discussion.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#737 » by knickstape4ever » Fri Jun 8, 2018 1:17 am

GEOLINK wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:If LeBron tells the Knicks he wants to sign with them. Then you find a f*cking way to clear cap space by any means.

agreed. the debate of Lebron vs. Jordan will still continue unless he does something drastic, like win in New York. If he were to win 1 in NY, he wouldn't be just the King, he'd be the God
Newyorknick94
Head Coach
And1: 2,518

Post#738 » by Newyorknick94 » Fri Jun 8, 2018 2:37 pm

Legends BAT
G - Penny Hardaway/Mike Bibby
G - Gilbert Arenas / Monta Ellis
F - Julius Erving/John Starks
F - Chris bosh/Danny Granger
C - Dikembe Mutombo
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#739 » by F N 11 » Fri Jun 8, 2018 3:04 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
Knicksrule2k4 wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:I guess Kenyon Martin has never heard of cap space.

Which means trade assets with older players for space. So you could roll out Lebron and Tim Hardaway? Hard pass!!!!!
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#740 » by jstudabaka » Fri Jun 8, 2018 5:42 pm

Do ya'll think KP has any trade value right now? Would a team give us a top-15 pick for him?

Return to New York Knicks