ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,134

Re: Official 2018 Yankees Thread 

Post#3281 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:48 am

This is what the Yankees are. They don't manufacture runs other than the HR, for the most part. They rarely steal bases or hit and run etc. They strike out a ton and hit a ton of HR's. I can understand not doing the first two if you have a team on pace to set the MLB HR record, but they'll be games where they look like ass or leave a zillion runners on base.

Basically, this team is the analytics version of an Earl Weaver Orioles team. Pitch well, wait for the 3 run HR. Except of course that those Orioles teams had much better starting pitching. Not that the Yankees is bad or anything - it's good. Those teams usually had great starters.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#3282 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm

In other MLB news Shohei Ohtani is likely out the rest of this season and most of the next with Tommy John surgery as reported by ESPN.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#3283 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:50 pm

Damn shame reading/hearing about Ohtani. When you come out and keep trying to dial it up every at bat, you're setting yourself up, You're going to pay maybe today or maybe 10 yrs from now but ultimately it's one of the reasons why hard throwers either adapt or they are on their next team.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#3284 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 pm

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:In other MLB news Shohei Ohtani is likely out the rest of this season and most of the next with Tommy John surgery as reported by ESPN.

I'd like to say I'm saddened by this news, but I'm not.

Sucks for Otani.

They can start polishing that rookie of the year trophy for Torres or Andujar.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#3285 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:53 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:This is what the Yankees are. They don't manufacture runs other than the HR, for the most part. They rarely steal bases or hit and run etc. They strike out a ton and hit a ton of HR's. I can understand not doing the first two if you have a team on pace to set the MLB HR record, but they'll be games where they look like ass or leave a zillion runners on base.

Basically, this team is the analytics version of an Earl Weaver Orioles team. Pitch well, wait for the 3 run HR. Except of course that those Orioles teams had much better starting pitching. Not that the Yankees is bad or anything - it's good. Those teams usually had great starters.

I think that's the reality of current baseball. Can't think of any teams using old school baserunning and bunting etc as a main part of their offense.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#3286 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:12 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:This is what the Yankees are. They don't manufacture runs other than the HR, for the most part. They rarely steal bases or hit and run etc. They strike out a ton and hit a ton of HR's. I can understand not doing the first two if you have a team on pace to set the MLB HR record, but they'll be games where they look like ass or leave a zillion runners on base.

I think that's the reality of current baseball. Can't think of any teams using old school baserunning and bunting etc as a main part of their offense.

Yup. I'd agree with that. I think the Yankees have it even somewhat more, based on the number of sluggers. I mean, guys most likely to be hitting 2 or 3 in a traditional lineup bat like 6th and 9th - Hicks and Torres
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,436

Post#3287 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I thought you guys needed pitching. Looks like you might need hitting instead. LOL. Only 8 runs in 3 games against the lowly Mets. How are you guys going to do any damage in the playoffs - much less win the WS ... or even get in it - if decent pitching can shut you down so easily?

We have lost ONE series in 2 months! Including beating the lowly Mets. That's how you make it to the WS. You should crawl back over to the Mets thread and cry about your 10 starting pitchers and your awesome offense that has you in 4th place! :lol:

Loser Mets have fans talking shyt to 1st place Yankees fans? As usual!!!

Watching you guys fail is the next best thing. :lol:

8 runs/3 games = 2.66 runs/game

What a great offense. :lol:
Free Palestine
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#3288 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:42 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I thought you guys needed pitching. Looks like you might need hitting instead. LOL. Only 8 runs in 3 games against the lowly Mets. How are you guys going to do any damage in the playoffs - much less win the WS ... or even get in it - if decent pitching can shut you down so easily?

We have lost ONE series in 2 months! Including beating the lowly Mets. That's how you make it to the WS. You should crawl back over to the Mets thread and cry about your 10 starting pitchers and your awesome offense that has you in 4th place! :lol:

Nearly as futile as the Mets. :D
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#3289 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:49 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:

Analytics point to NOT giving up outs as you would in a sacrifice bunt situation. Just about every team has abandoned this. The data also points to going for extra base hits as opposed to hit the other way in a shift against a batter. Game is boring now isn't it?
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#3290 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Beat it! 23 games over .500 vs 6 games under .500

Who's doing all of the failing? :lol:

We won 2 out of 3 games. How many runs did the Mets score? In that series? :lol:
:beer: RIP mags
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#3291 » by Papi_swav » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 pm

I said this early into the year too, we do not have contact hitters which is a problem and we barely have any speed on bases, none of our guys can steal over 20 bases besides Gardy who's old. The astros lineup is full of contact hitters and young athletic guys and the pitching to go with it. It's going to be tough but I feel once we get another top starter we will be fine.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#3292 » by cuyankees » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Papi_swav wrote:

I said this early into the year too, we do not have contact hitters which is a problem and we barely have any speed on bases, none of our guys can steal over 20 bases besides Gardy who's old. The astros lineup is full of contact hitters and young athletic guys and the pitching to go with it. It's going to be tough but I feel once we get another top starter we will be fine.

Some good points. Torres and Mig are good contact hitters.

Regardless, Yanks are a better contact team than this, go down the lineup and each hitter in the lineup is underperforming contact wise except maybe Judge. And that’s the scary part...
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#3293 » by awy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:45 pm

people mythify 'manufacturing runs' as if it's reliable.

yankees are extremely good late and close this season, because they control the at bats, take walks and hit homers in close and late games.

when they try to manufacture runs they've actually ran themselves out of big innings some of the time.

hitting a single or hitting the other way just produce weaker contact unless the opposing pitcher is only giving you un-pullable pitches. when fans want batters to hit singles, it actually means hitting groundballs which are far less productive. hitting the other way is fine for some guys but most players who are extreme pull enough to get shifted on are weaker to the oppo side and make worse contact there.

guys like didi and stanton were mired in deep slumps partly because they tried or have actually hit like oppo hitters despite it not beign the best part of their game. oppo hitting is not some sort of magical elixir for everyone. it's there so that pitchers don't have a hole to exploit on the outside.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#3294 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:59 pm

awy wrote:people mythify 'manufacturing runs' as if it's reliable.

yankees are extremely good late and close this season, because they control the at bats, take walks and hit homers in close and late games.

when they try to manufacture runs they've actually ran themselves out of big innings some of the time.

hitting a single or hitting the other way just produce weaker contact unless the opposing pitcher is only giving you un-pullable pitches. when fans want batters to hit singles, it actually means hitting groundballs which are far less productive. hitting the other way is fine for some guys but most players who are extreme pull enough to get shifted on are weaker to the oppo side and make worse contact there.

guys like didi and stanton were mired in deep slumps partly because they tried or have actually hit like oppo hitters despite it not beign the best part of their game. oppo hitting is not some sort of magical elixir for everyone. it's there so that pitchers don't have a hole to exploit on the outside.

I didn't say the Yanks should go all in with the H&R or become opposite field hitters, and obviously their record speaks for itself, and it's not the first team, even in the pre analytics era, to use this model for success. But the Yankee offense is awfully boom or bust - a bit too much even for the modern era.

Not sure if Stanton was the sort of guy to add to the team to "complete" it, but he's a huge talent for a cheap price, so I get why. A guy with a higher BA, with some power, who struck out less may have been ideal. But that guy wasn't available, whoever he is.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#3295 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Despite taking 2/3 from the Mets, there are some mild concerns:

1. Tanaka might be out for a month. Guessing Cole will be Friday's starter. Not exactly Whitey Ford.

2. Germàn struggles continue.

3. Essentially CC and Pickles have to carry the team behind Severino.

4. Judge has cooled off despite having a few clutch hits. Stanton has also cooled off. Sanchez is hitting in Jose Reyes territory.

5. Greg Bird is struggling, so is Didi.

The Yankees have to win the division because they do not want to go into a situation like last year where they had to go from 1 game series, then Indians, Astros...just brutal gauntlet. This season might be even more difficult.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#3296 » by GEOLINK » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:58 pm

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:In other MLB news Shohei Ohtani is likely out the rest of this season and most of the next with Tommy John surgery as reported by ESPN.

We dodged a major bullet right there.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#3297 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Despite taking 2/3 from the Mets, there are some mild concerns:

1. Tanaka might be out for a month. Guessing Cole will be Friday's starter. Not exactly Whitey Ford.

2. Germàn struggles continue.

3. Essentially CC and Pickles have to carry the team behind Severino.

4. Judge has cooled off despite having a few clutch hits. Stanton has also cooled off. Sanchez is hitting in Jose Reyes territory.

5. Greg Bird is struggling, so is Didi.

The Yankees have to win the division because they do not want to go into a situation like last year where they had to go from 1 game series, then Indians, Astros...just brutal gauntlet. This season might be even more difficult.

And with all of that Yanks have the best record in baseball. I think it gets really scary if in September, everyone starts hitting and we hear Aaron Boone with the "Team running on all cylinders" diatribe.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,751

Post#3298 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:19 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:2. Germàn struggles continue.

In his defense, he pitched a quality start, which is what you at least hope for from an end of the rotation guy. After the first inning, he spread out two hits and nicked Nimmo once over the next five while striking out 9.
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,805

Post#3299 » by Spree2Houston » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Remember this is year 2 of the rebuild. We're far ahead of schedule.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#3300 » by Marty McFly » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.

Return to New York Knicks