ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Net Neutrally is over

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Re: OT: Net Neutrally is over 

Post#61 » by BallSacBounce » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:54 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
BallSacBounce wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:Big business and government team up again to screw the American people. Making America Great Again by restricting internet access instead of access to guns!

Oh boo hoo. When you go to the store and you want more milk you have to pay for it. It's not one price fits all for ANYTHING not water, not electric, ok breathable air ya got me on one...as long as it's not compressed. What makes you so special you should get a subsidy from everyone else?

This HORRIBLE and INCREDIBLY incorrect analogy shows you clearly do not understand what NN even is, stop posting in this thread until you educate yourself please.

As for 'its not water, not electric' it SHOULD be, internet should be classified as a utility in todays world. Its about as required and necessary as telephone was back in the day.

That is absolutely what NN is. That's exactly what it is about. Just not in your mind but that's different than reality.

Oh, I WISH electricity were the same fee for everybody, I'd have bitcoin farms everywhere. See the problem? People that use more of something pay more. You want to get paid more for additional hours you work right? Well other people feel the same about what they produce.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#62 » by Greenie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:56 pm

People like free things.
Nothing is free in life though.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#63 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:57 pm

BallSacBounce wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:
BallSacBounce wrote:
Oh boo hoo. When you go to the store and you want more milk you have to pay for it. It's not one price fits all for ANYTHING not water, not electric, ok breathable air ya got me on one...as long as it's not compressed. What makes you so special you should get a subsidy from everyone else?

This HORRIBLE and INCREDIBLY incorrect analogy shows you clearly do not understand what NN even is, stop posting in this thread until you educate yourself please.

As for 'its not water, not electric' it SHOULD be, internet should be classified as a utility in todays world. Its about as required and necessary as telephone was back in the day.

That is absolutely what NN is. That's exactly what it is about. Just not in your mind but that's different than reality.

Oh, I WISH electricity were the same fee for everybody, I'd have bitcoin farms everywhere. See the problem? People that use more of something pay more. You want to get paid more for additional hours you work right? Well other people feel the same about what they produce.

You should move to where the electricity is cheaper and have at it. That's what the market is about. People have to move around for opportunity.
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Post#64 » by BallSacBounce » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:57 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:Trump’s Dismantling of Dodd-Frank Would Be 2008 All Over Again

http://fortune.com/2016/12/08/trump-dodd-frank-2008-financial-crisis-steve-mnuchin/

You are not seriously linking to a per-inauguration article that has nothing to do with current policy are you?
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#65 » by CharlesOakley » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:58 pm

Jonathan starks wrote:
omerome wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
What’s to stop Providers from banning content and raising prices now? And why didn’t they three years ago when there was no NN as u put it?

Well, because of the repel...nothing would stop them. They are free to do as they please.

Why do you want to pay more for what you already have access to?

And I remember several years ago some companies (i.e., Comcast and Verizon) got caught throttling/controlling content which is what NN was meant to prevent.

Links:

https://techcrunch.com/2009/12/22/comcast-settles-bandwidth-throttling-lawsuit-for-16-million-thats-4-hours-of-revenue
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/186576-verizon-caught-throttling-netflix-traffic-even-after-its-pays-for-more-bandwidth
https://www.theverge.com/2014/5/6/5686780/major-isps-accused-of-deliberately-throttling-traffic

You’re worried about the monopolies have unmitigated power? Well, that would be the government’s fault. It regulated the cable TV business with a heavy hand since its infancy, giving monopoly rights to operators to string cities with coaxial cable. Those policies have been relaxed, so now it’s easier for a new provider — like telephone companies or fiber-upstarts like Google — to create broadband competition. But the market power of entrenched cable operators and the remaining regulatory hurdles still deter new entrants, suppressing the sort of competition that would make broadband companies more mindful of the needs of customers. More red tape is not the answer. I have no intention of paying more for the services I use, and don’t believe I will. The less regulated the internet and all the businesses contributing to it, the more competition, and the cheaper the price with better quality

You realize absolutely nothing you said has anything to do with net neutrality?

Return to New York Knicks