ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,915

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#3641 » by blueNorange » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:09 am

if they're not going to callup alonso then at least call up jeff mcneil, he's always been a .300 hitter he's just hitting for power and is finally healthy.

plus he plays 2b/3b which are positons mets need filling.

.333 ba
.400 obp
.650 slugging
1.150 ops

33 xbh(16 doubles, 14 homers, 3 triples).
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#3642 » by reub » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:19 pm

blueNorange wrote:if they're not going to callup alonso then at least call up jeff mcneil, he's always been a .300 hitter he's just hitting for power and is finally healthy.

.333 ba
.400 obp
.650 slugging
1.150 ops

Sandy are you listening? Blorange just put out a cry for help.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,362

Post#3643 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:48 pm

blueNorange wrote:if they're not going to callup alonso then at least call up jeff mcneil, he's always been a .300 hitter he's just hitting for power and is finally healthy.

.333 ba
.400 obp
.650 slugging
1.150 ops

What about Gavin Cecchini? When's TJ Rivera coming back?
Free Palestine
KennySkyWalker
Senior
And1: 200

Post#3644 » by KennySkyWalker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:59 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

.333 ba
.400 obp
.650 slugging
1.150 ops

I actually like TJ Rivera a lot. Thought he was a scrappy player that could have been a very good role player for us this season, maybe even a starter. It's a shame he got hurt because he would have been much better than Reyes.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3645 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:14 pm

KennySkyWalker wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

.333 ba
.400 obp
.650 slugging
1.150 ops

I actually like TJ Rivera a lot. Thought he was a scrappy player that could have been a very good role player for us this season, maybe even a starter. It's a shame he got hurt because he would have been much better than Reyes.

They both have pop in their bats. I agree about Rivera. Do you know when he's due back?

Also, we get Wilmer back any day now.
Free Palestine
KennySkyWalker
Senior

Post#3646 » by KennySkyWalker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:19 pm

.333 ba
.400 obp
.650 slugging
1.150 ops

This really shows that the Mets are not flexible in their decision making. It seems like they come up with one plan, stick to it and never deviate from it even when everything is crashing down around them. Jeff McNeil is on fire right now and is 26 years old. What the heck are they waiting for? Let's at least see what this "kid" can do! At the very least, he offers us a reason to actually watch his ab's. Right now I have no desire to watch Jay Bruce or the disabled list King, Cespedes.
KennySkyWalker
Senior

Post#3647 » by KennySkyWalker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:33 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
KennySkyWalker wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

They both have pop in their bats. I agree about Rivera. Do you know when he's due back?

Rivera suffered a very serious injury, but everything I've read so far it seems like he's ahead of schedule. The timetable for his return says middle of July, but you have to figure it will be later than that just for precautionary reasons. I guess it also depends on whether they have a roster spot for him. Who knows with the Mets, right? He will come back and probably tweak his nuts or get some other injury none of us have ever heard of and be out for 3 years.

I never saw Wilmer as a difference maker which is why I would rather go the bNo route and see what guys like Alonso and McNeil can do. Wilmer is a nice player and can fill many roles, but he's not going to move the needle much in terms of wins. Not saying Alonso or McNeil can do that, but at this point I kind of want someone else to watch. How much more can we take watching Jay Bruce flail away at the plate? This guy needs to start producing very quickly. I was in favor of bringing back Bruce because he did a very good job for us last season, but it just goes to show you how difficult it is to predict how these home run types will be year to year. They are so prone to slumps that it can kill your ballclub.

I still think the best way to build a team (offensively) is the old model where you had good OBP and speed at the top, a contact hitter #2 who can move runners along, #3 is your best pure hitter, #4 is the big man who provides lineup protection and power numbers, #5 benefits from #4, then 6 through 8 is whatever you can get.

Just not a fan of the Earl Weaver all or nothing approach to building your offense.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#3648 » by newyorker4ever » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:00 pm

KennySkyWalker wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
KennySkyWalker wrote:

Rivera suffered a very serious injury, but everything I've read so far it seems like he's ahead of schedule. The timetable for his return says middle of July, but you have to figure it will be later than that just for precautionary reasons. I guess it also depends on whether they have a roster spot for him. Who knows with the Mets, right? He will come back and probably tweak his nuts or get some other injury none of us have ever heard of and be out for 3 years.

I never saw Wilmer as a difference maker which is why I would rather go the bNo route and see what guys like Alonso and McNeil can do. Wilmer is a nice player and can fill many roles, but he's not going to move the needle much in terms of wins. Not saying Alonso or McNeil can do that, but at this point I kind of want someone else to watch. How much more can we take watching Jay Bruce flail away at the plate? This guy needs to start producing very quickly. I was in favor of bringing back Bruce because he did a very good job for us last season, but it just goes to show you how difficult it is to predict how these home run types will be year to year. They are so prone to slumps that it can kill your ballclub.

I still think the best way to build a team (offensively) is the old model where you had good OBP and speed at the top, a contact hitter #2 who can move runners along, #3 is your best pure hitter, #4 is the big man who provides lineup protection and power numbers, #5 benefits from #4, then 6 through 8 is whatever you can get.

Just not a fan of the Earl Weaver all or nothing approach to building your offense.

I'm also a big TJ Rivera fan and liked what he did for us before his injury. He's not a big power guy but he can hit for avg and get on base. Didn't he have tommy john surgery or something like that?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#3649 » by blueNorange » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:31 pm

it sucks when the wilpons still make all the decisions, sandy said the reason he released a-gone was of his low ops ... which makes perfect sense, he simply wasn't cutting it.

then the reason for reyes he straight up said he's on the team because of his merit, and that there's nobody else good enough to replace him aka jeff wilpon wants his goodbye reyes retirement tour to sell a few more tickets.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#3650 » by blueNorange » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:56 pm

also tidbit on jeff mcneil,if he doesn't get added to the 40 man this year he's a minor league free agent.

which should definitely be a reason to call him up.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
KennySkyWalker
Senior

Post#3651 » by KennySkyWalker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:58 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
KennySkyWalker wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I'm also a big TJ Rivera fan and liked what he did for us before his injury. He's not a big power guy but he can hit for avg and get on base. Didn't he have tommy john surgery or something like that?

I believe it was Tommy John. All reports that I've read seem to suggest that he's coming around very nicely. He was a fun player to watch and seemed like he always gave 100% on every at-bat and also in the field. An old-school type player before all of this analytics stuff. We need more players like him. Nimmo is similar.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,962

Post#3652 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:44 pm

Did I hear this correctly, we still think Reyes is a useful player?

Ramos and Thor getting second opinions, that means there done for the season in Met terms.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#3653 » by reub » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:14 pm

I'm glad that Dom Smith is getting a chance. He deserves the opportunity.
KennySkyWalker
Senior

Post#3654 » by KennySkyWalker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:01 am

Is anyone watching the ESPN broadcast of this game? They have Hank Aaron in the booth and I don't think the announcers are even watching the game. :lol:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3655 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 am

This team stinks from the head.
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#3656 » by reub » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:18 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:This team stinks from the head.

We bad!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3657 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:20 am

reub wrote:

We bad!

Everyone thought Wheeler was fixed. :noway:
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#3658 » by reub » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:35 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:

We bad!

Did you see the game? Wheeler pitched well but tired at close to 100 pitches. They brought in Sewald with the bases loaded and he gave up an immediate grand slam. Zach deserved better.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3659 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:07 am

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:We bad!

Did you see the game? Wheeler pitched well but tired at close to 100 pitches. They brought in Sewald with the bases loaded and he gave up an immediate grand slam. Zach deserved better.

I saw a little of the bottom of the 6th. The score was only 3-2 but his pitch count was high - again - and the 4 walks in something like 5.2 innings? ... just can't live with that. These pitchers who throw 95-98 but can't command the strike zone are useless. Look what German did for the Yankees against us. The kid throws strikes.
Free Palestine
KennySkyWalker
Senior

Post#3660 » by KennySkyWalker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:11 am

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:We bad!

I thought he pitched very well. He was left in one or two batters too long. Callaway had gotten the boot so that likely had something to do with it. I don't know but I was wondering why Wheeler wasn't pulled sooner. As usual, we ran into bad luck with the double play when we could have scored more runs. It's like that killed all our momentum. Whatever, at this point we're going to get a top 5 pick in next years draft. Then look out major leagues in 5 years we are going to be a juggernaut!

Return to New York Knicks