ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Re: Official 2018 Yankees Thread 

Post#3301 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:13 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:Remember this is year 2 of the rebuild. We're far ahead of schedule.

It's not the NBA. Rebuilds can happen faster than 5 years. :D

Still, this is at least one year ahead of schedule by any reasonable person's assessment.

It's why I'm not that big on trading away prospects for a middling pitcher, but on the other hand realize the Yanks will be somewhat relentless about trading some "prospects" due to risking losing them on the 40 man roster, plus just the human side of moving guys along and giving them an MLB chance and they don't stagnate in the minors until they are 27 years old.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#3302 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:13 pm

Marty McFly wrote:https://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/48858/Mike-Trout-Unsure-About-Contract-Extension-With-Angels

:o

Oh good, he can play in the OF with Harper and Judge.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#3303 » by GEOLINK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:36 am

Been thinking lately...

I wouldn't be surprised if Gary gets traded one day.

The catching regression, the bat going cold not consistent enough, his weight being an issue, just a lot of sloppiness in general I'm seeing from Gary. Maybe he's getting TOO comfortable.

I might get buried for this comment, I hope some of y'all are seeing what I'm seeing.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Post#3304 » by Polk377 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:39 am

GEOLINK wrote:Been thinking lately...

The catching regression, the bat going cold not consistent enough, his weight being an issue, just a lot of sloppiness in general I'm seeing from Gary. Maybe he's getting TOO comfortable.

I might get buried for this comment, I hope some of y'all are seeing what I'm seeing.

I see more of a Victor Martinez type of progression for him in the future. He will likely move to 1B or DH as a power bat.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#3305 » by GEOLINK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:43 am

Polk377 wrote:

I see more of a Victor Martinez type of progression for him in the future. He will likely move to 1B or DH as a power bat.

The arm behind the plate is literally all he has as a catcher. Seems like some of the pitchers feel a lot more comfortable throwing to Romine than Gary. We saw a little bit of that in the Mets game with Severino telling Gary to stay back and let him throw the pitch, when Gary was about to go for a mound visit. Which was also a problem with him going out multiple times for a mound visit last year.

I hate to trash Gary because when he's hot, he's a star. But I don't sense it this year. I thought with a new manager he would play his butt off and be right there for MVP talks, at least.

Some of the rift Girardi had with Gary was his weight and him being sloppy behind the plate, but I'm still seeing it this year.
Polk377
General Manager

Post#3306 » by Polk377 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:50 am

GEOLINK wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

The arm behind the plate is literally all he has as a catcher. Seems like some of the pitchers feel a lot more comfortable throwing to Romine than Gary. We saw a little bit of that in the Mets game with Severino telling Gary to stay back and let him throw the pitch, when Gary was about to go for a mound visit. Which was also a problem with him going out multiple times for a mound visit last year.

I hate to trash Gary because when he's hot, he's a star. But I don't sense it this year. I thought with a new manager he would play his butt off and be right there for MVP talks, at least.

Some of the rift Girardi had with Gary was his weight and him being sloppy behind the plate, but I'm still seeing it this year.

Well at least he is controllable for a while without having to worry about throwing a ton of money at him. If he continues to regress they simply cut ties down the line. They did just draft a couple of catchers for a reason.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#3307 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:01 am

The batting averages could be better.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,946

Post#3308 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:26 am

Old man CC...ranked 13th right now in ERA in the AL. Seriously, Yankees always seem to do well with old man pitchers
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,805

Post#3309 » by Spree2Houston » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:49 am

I totally agree with you. Wasn't it Girardi who pointed it out that he wasn't working as hard as he should be on improving his game.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#3310 » by GEOLINK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:05 am

Polk377 wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

Well at least he is controllable for a while without having to worry about throwing a ton of money at him. If he continues to regress they simply cut ties down the line. They did just draft a couple of catchers for a reason.

Just gotta think his name definitely can net us back a big time pitcher in return though.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#3311 » by GEOLINK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:07 am

Spree2Houston wrote:

I totally agree with you. Wasn't it Girardi who pointed it out that he wasn't working as hard as he should be on improving his game.
It was. Definitely one of the cracks we saw last year between the team and Girardi.

There's time where he could give a **** less to run to first on a grounder and it gives me Cano vibes. Somethings off about Gary, hopefully it doesn't put off his potential.
Polk377
General Manager

Post#3312 » by Polk377 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:28 am

GEOLINK wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:The arm behind the plate is literally all he has as a catcher. Seems like some of the pitchers feel a lot more comfortable throwing to Romine than Gary. We saw a little bit of that in the Mets game with Severino telling Gary to stay back and let him throw the pitch, when Gary was about to go for a mound visit. Which was also a problem with him going out multiple times for a mound visit last year.

Just gotta think his name definitely can net us back a big time pitcher in return though.

Still way too early to give up on him.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#3313 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 am

Nope, I see the same stuff. I think while in general the team may benefit from someone like Boone, Girardi was better for Sanchez. He was a catcher and could get at Gary with specifics. Also I believe Sanchez is the type that needs someone getting on him fairly regularly. He obviously responds to criticism. I'm not ready to want to trade him though. He's way too talented.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#3314 » by Knicksfan20 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:13 pm

I think we're better off moving Gary to First base and trading bird/putting him on waivers.

Romine has always been solid with us, let him be the starter and get another backup.

Maybe we can get Cervelli back lol. Always liked him too. Hes having a good year this year.

But yeah, Gary has seemed to get comfortable and needs to work harder if we want to really be a dynasty. Otherwise he becomes expendable.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#3315 » by BadNewsBarnes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Gary is an ice cream bar away from being Jesus Montero 2.0.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#3316 » by GEOLINK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:

I think we're better off moving Gary to First base and trading bird/putting him on waivers.

Romine has always been solid with us, let him be the starter and get another backup.

Maybe we can get Cervelli back lol. Always liked him too. Hes having a good year this year.

But yeah, Gary has seemed to get comfortable and needs to work harder if we want to really be a dynasty. Otherwise he becomes expendable.

I just feel like even the pitchers get an extra boost when it's Romine behind the plate and not Gary. Something is going on that's not been made public, but I can see it. I may be reaching, but those Chapman save appearances with Gary tell the whole story.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#3317 » by GEOLINK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:57 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:

Gary is an ice cream bar away from being Jesus Montero 2.0.

Gary's been at the buffet table way too long. I'm lowkey scared the Yankees offer him a huge contract and he just gets lazier. Gotta think about these things while there's still time.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#3318 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:39 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:

No guarantee he'll be good at first, and while first might be "easier" it is the position besides catcher that gets most in-game action. Errors at 1b are extremely costly. So you are basically shifting his lazy tendencies to first while completely losing his arm. If he has trouble going for balls in the dirt he will also have trouble reaching down to get those low balls and low throws at first. I'd rather make him a DH mostly who occasionally catches (x amount of games a year). I think it's more viable and you don't completely lose his arm.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#3319 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Romine would be exposed as a starter guys. He's not that good. You'll be clamoring quick for another catcher. He's a decent backup who is having an outlier batting average year.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#3320 » by GEOLINK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:49 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Romine would be exposed as a starter guys. He's not that good. You'll be clamoring quick for another catcher. He's a decent backup who is having an outlier batting average year.

I love Gary, I know it feels like I'm giving up on him. I'm not.

But I'm souring on him a bit. I hope he turns it around, there's still time. But there's some bad signs showing through the cracks.

Return to New York Knicks