ImageImageImageImageImage

Dray and Klay likely to decline extensions this offseason.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,560

Re: Dray and Klay likely to decline extensions this offseason. 

Post#21 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:20 pm

clyde21 wrote:We're gonna have to trade someone, and I'd rather do it a year too early than a year too late. Time to get younger.

Draymond for Myles Turner?

Will we still need to after we trade Durant?

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#22 » by parsnips33 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:20 pm

clyde21 wrote:We're gonna have to trade someone, and I'd rather do it a year too early than a year too late. Time to get younger.

Sure way to give away the title this season. I understand the cap crunch coming if both Klay and Dray turn down extensions, but I think Draymond is way to valuable to the team right now to trade away. Wouldn't mind Bob playing tough ball and eventually coming to a compromise with Dray, maybe 3 years instead of 5
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#23 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:28 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:

No. But we have to trade one of Big 4 at some point.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#24 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Man Homie, you are on the constant F#@$ up the Gravy Train mode!

Trading Draymond early is assinine. There is only one guy who gives you anything close to what Draymond does out there and that is Kawhi Leonard. But that would force KD to PF.

Turner is a decent dude, but no need to press any panic buttons, these guys understand what they have going here. My guess is it all works out.

No need to tinker with greatness......you don't magically find this type of chemistry again.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#25 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:56 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:

Says you......At some point should be when they are old and decrepid.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
clyde21
RealGM

Post#26 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Will we still need to after we trade Durant?

Our salary for this upcoming team in 2018-2019 will be north of 270mil with a 115mil tax bill, and it's going to get worse with the Thompson/Green extensions.

I'm just saying, sometimes it's better to make a trade a year too early vs. year too late, and it doesn't hurt to look ahead.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,196

Post#27 » by Outside » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:15 pm

I guess this is somewhat less hot takey and reactionary than "S&T Durant regardless of what happens this PS," but it feels like a companion in the same sampler pack. Draymond was defensive player of the postseason by a wide margin. Myles Turner is unplayable against certain lineups, while Draymond isn't unplayable against anyone and is the defensive centerpiece of the Hamptons Five lineup.

I like Myles Turner, and he could turn into a nice player, and Draymond's performance is likely to drop off drastically once injuries accumulate and his athleticism wanes, but jeez. The Warriors success is based on the near-magical fit and chemistry of their core group. This championship run will end at some point, but trading Draymond for Turner would end it prematurely, not extend it. Keep these guys together as long as they can. I'm in no rush to return to the days when 52 wins and a second round exit is really great.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,201

Post#28 » by wco81 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Our salary for this upcoming team in 2018-2019 will be north of 270mil with a 115mil tax bill, and it's going to get worse with the Thompson/Green extensions.

I'm just saying, sometimes it's better to make a trade a year too early vs. year too late, and it doesn't hurt to look ahead.

I don't see this $270 million figure anywhere.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/cap/

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/
clyde21
RealGM

Post#29 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:55 pm

wco81 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Curry - 37.4
Durant - 35.3
Thompson - 18.9
Green - 17.4
Iguodala -16.0
Livinginston - 8.3
Looney - 4.2 (assuming he resigns)
McCaw - 3.2 (assuming he resigns)
First rounder - 1.6
Jones - 1.5
Bell 1.3
Cook - 1.5

That's $150mil in total salary and $68mil in luxury taxes. Total bill is at almost 220mil.

And that's only with 12/15 slots filled up.

After next season it gets even worse.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#30 » by likashing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:23 pm

Cuban tried to be a smart ass and changed the core a year or 2 too early. It was completely idiotic.

Building a winning core is a delicate thing. Once you have it, you shouldn’t **** with it.

With Ducan, the Spurs stuck with Manu and Tony. They stayed successful. Yes, I know they got Kawhi which greatly helped.

I would never preemptively trade Klay or Draymond given the success this core have.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,134

Post#31 » by cpower » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:59 pm

We need to extend Green at all the cost. Keep the defensive anchor is as important as keeping offensive anchor and key to win champs
Passthebaltome
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#32 » by Passthebaltome » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:36 pm

likashing wrote:Cuban tried to be smart and traded a year or 2 too early. It is completely idiotic looking back.

Building a winning core is a delicate thing. Once you have it, you shouldn’t **** with it.

The Spurs sticked with Manu and Tony. They stayed successful. Yes, I know they got Kawhi which greatly helped.

I would never preemptively trade Klay or Draymond given the success we have.

It's delicate and the West comment is interesting in that regard.

It could be we are beyond preemptive and are in the respond/catch up phase. It's only speculation, as West hinted at maybe more revelations in the future (from the team or some other sources).

There was something yesterday or before about Thompson requesting a private meeting Kerr about 'the state of Warriors' offense.' That sounds like another dot to be connected... eventually.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#33 » by likashing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Passthebaltome wrote:There was something yesterday or before about Thompson requesting a private meeting Kerr about 'the state of Warriors' offense.' That sounds like another dot to be connected... eventually.

The request was in December. The dots already connected in the playoffs, and while they could have played better, this group now has its 3rd ring.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
wco81
RealGM

Post#34 » by wco81 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:51 pm

clyde21 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Curry - 37.4
Durant - 35.3
Thompson - 18.9
Green - 17.4
Iguodala -16.0
Livinginston - 8.3
Looney - 4.2 (assuming he resigns)
McCaw - 3.2 (assuming he resigns)
First rounder - 1.6
Jones - 1.5
Bell 1.3
Cook - 1.5

That's $150mil in total salary and $68mil in luxury taxes. Total bill is at almost 220mil.

And that's only with 12/15 slots filled up.

After next season it gets even worse.

Oh I thought you meant $270 million in salaries and $115 million more in luxury taxes.

Oh well threepeats aren't cheap and the Bulls nixed a chance to keep it going because of money.

We will see what the Warriors do.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#35 » by likashing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Klay can also qualify for a ~$200m/5yr supermax in 2019 summer if he gets All NBA the upcoming season. Sort of like what Steph did in the summer of 2017.

No point for him to extend this summer.
Passthebaltome
Ballboy

Post#36 » by Passthebaltome » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 pm

likashing wrote:
Passthebaltome wrote:There was something yesterday or before about Thompson requesting a private meeting Kerr about 'the state of Warriors' offense.' That sounds like another dot to be connected... eventually.

The request was in December. The dots already connected in the playoffs, and while they could have played better, this group now has its 3rd ring.

They played well to win.

Whether all the dots have been connected or not, I don't know, based on the article itself, which did not say what was involved in the state of the Warriors' offense discussion.
likashing
Head Coach

Post#37 » by likashing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:21 pm

Passthebaltome wrote:
likashing wrote:

They played well to win.

Whether all the dots have been connected or not, I don't know, based on the article itself, which did not say what was involved in the state of the Warriors' offense discussion.

I wouldn't make a big deal on what happened in December. Maybe Klay thought the ball wasn't moving enough. Who knows? The bright side is Kerr is open to discuss these things with his players, and Klay looks genuinely happy.

Let the haters throw shade on the team for a meeting between Klay and Kerr in December. :lol:

This locker room is light years ahead the crap that happens on other teams.
wco81
RealGM

Post#38 » by wco81 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:50 pm

I guess Klay and Dray have a lot riding on next season, to qualify for the super max.
Passthebaltome
Ballboy

Post#39 » by Passthebaltome » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:02 am

cpower wrote:We need to extend Green at all the cost. Keep the defensive anchor is as important as keeping offensive anchor and key to win champs

That's a good point, especially with Iguodala having to pick his moments and not getting any younger at 34, and will be 35 next February.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#40 » by Hopper15 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:56 am

wco81 wrote:I guess Klay and Dray have a lot riding on next season, to qualify for the super max.
Only two super max contracts per team so it'll be most interesting if both qualify.

Return to Golden State Warriors