ImageImageImage

Kawhi Leonard rumor

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Re: Kawhi Leonard rumor 

Post#1301 » by kuclas » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Considering spurs never counter Ainge’s offer.
1. Spurs have zero interest trading Leonard

Or Ainge offer so low it wasn’t worth countering.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,572

Post#1302 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:34 pm

kuclas wrote:Considering spurs never counter Ainge’s offer.
1. Spurs have zero interest trading Leonard

Or Ainge offer so low it wasn’t worth countering.

or we will talk again before the draft.
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#1303 » by BigTrade92 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:37 pm

No thanks on a malcontent who quit on his team and one of the games greatest coaches for a full season, is due for a max deal and has clearcut intentions of playing for his hometown Los Angeles Lakers.

Do not want.
Valid
RealGM
And1: 12,656

Post#1304 » by Valid » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:40 pm

BigTrade92 wrote:No thanks on a malcontent who quit on his team and one of the games greatest coaches for a full season, is due for a max deal and has clearcut intentions of playing for his hometown Los Angeles Lakers.

Do not want.

Where are you getting that he has clear cut intentions of playing for the Lakers? A couple of people have speculated that he could go to Los Angeles. That's all. This isn't like Paul George where it was blatantly obvious that he wanted Tinseltown.
BigTrade92
General Manager

Post#1305 » by BigTrade92 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Valid wrote:
BigTrade92 wrote:No thanks on a malcontent who quit on his team and one of the games greatest coaches for a full season, is due for a max deal and has clearcut intentions of playing for his hometown Los Angeles Lakers.

Do not want.

Where are you getting that he has clear cut intentions of playing for the Lakers? A couple of people have speculated that he could go to Los Angeles. That's all. This isn't like Paul George where it was blatantly obvious that he wanted Tinseltown.

Because there was a ton of reports at the end of April which stated his desire to play for his hometown Lakers, and that his uncle and personal “team” (which was behind his entire season ordeal) was angling the Spurs to send him there.

Not to mention, days after the Spurs get eliminated from the playoffs, he shows up at a Dodgers game.
Valid
RealGM

Post#1306 » by Valid » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:45 pm

BigTrade92 wrote:
Valid wrote:

Do not want.

Because there was a ton of reports at the end of April which stated his desire to play for his hometown Lakers, and that his personal “team” which was behind his entire season ordeal was angling the Spurs to send him there.

Not to mention, days after the Spurs get eliminated, he shows up at a Dodgers game.

We'll see, I guess. My gut feeling is that he signs an extension with the Spurs, and if he doesn't and San Antonio begins fielding serious trade offers, the Celtics won't make a deal for him unless they get a long-term commitment from Kawhi.
BigTrade92
General Manager

Post#1307 » by BigTrade92 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Valid wrote:
BigTrade92 wrote:
Valid wrote:Where are you getting that he has clear cut intentions of playing for the Lakers? A couple of people have speculated that he could go to Los Angeles. That's all. This isn't like Paul George where it was blatantly obvious that he wanted Tinseltown.

Because there was a ton of reports at the end of April which stated his desire to play for his hometown Lakers, and that his personal “team” which was behind his entire season ordeal was angling the Spurs to send him there.

Not to mention, days after the Spurs get eliminated, he shows up at a Dodgers game.

We'll see, I guess. My gut feeling is that he signs an extension with the Spurs, and if he doesn't and San Antonio begins fielding serious trade offers, the Celtics won't make a deal for him unless they get a long-term commitment from Kawhi.

I hope he does stay there, because f*ck the Lakers.

But I don’t know why anyone would want to gut this team and the potential of Brown and Tatum for this guy. He literally quit on his team and Greg Popovich. That says a hell of a whole lot.

No thanks. Wake me when AD is on the trade block.
NYCelticsfan136
Veteran
And1: 1,676

Post#1308 » by NYCelticsfan136 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:01 pm

I am new here. Celtics fan since the early 90s. I would hate to give up on brown. We saw his improvement despite the horrific game 7. Just needs to be more consistent. I think he can be leonard in a couple of years..
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#1309 » by TheOGJabroni » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:The biggest thing Celtics fans should take away from this Kawhi Leonard rumor is:

Ainge doesn't believe this Celtics team is all set with it's roster.

This. I was trying to explain this in the LeBron thread. Unless you believe we have a top 50 all time player on our roster, Ainge isn't done. I don't know that Kyrie is there quite yet. If he is, he's borderline at best.

Management has specifically said almost every team needs that type of player to win a championship, so no, I don't think we're done.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach

Post#1310 » by TheOGJabroni » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:40 pm

I wonder what Ainge even offered. Unless it's Kyrie going out, he would be very difficult to trade for in terms of matching salaries.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1311 » by jmr07019 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:48 pm

CsBsSoxPhins wrote:I wonder what Ainge even offered. Unless it's Kyrie going out, he would be very difficult to trade for in terms of matching salaries.

Kawhi Leonard makes 20 mil this upcoming season so I assume he made 19 or 20 last year. The formula is:

Outgoing Salary x 1.5 >= incoming salary

outgoing x 1.5 = 20

outgoing = 13.4 million

wouldn't have been that hard to match. Smart, Baynes, Morris are all around 5 mil. Rozier and Yabs around 3 I think
Show Love Spread Love
Valid
RealGM

Post#1312 » by Valid » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:52 pm

CsBsSoxPhins wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:The biggest thing Celtics fans should take away from this Kawhi Leonard rumor is:

This. I was trying to explain this in the LeBron thread. Unless you believe we have a top 50 all time player on our roster, Ainge isn't done. I don't know that Kyrie is there quite yet. If he is, he's borderline at best.

Management has specifically said almost every team needs that type of player to win a championship, so no, I don't think we're done.

What people are overlooking is that we may very well have that guy in Jayson Tatum. Will he get there next year? No, but he's on his way, and the core of this squad is young enough to grow with him.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach

Post#1313 » by TheOGJabroni » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Valid wrote:
CsBsSoxPhins wrote:

What people are overlooking is that we may very well have that guy in Jayson Tatum. Will he get there next year? No, but he's on his way, and the core of this squad is young enough to grow with him.

This I do agree with actually. But there's still a long ways to go before that's decided.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach

Post#1314 » by TheOGJabroni » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:57 pm

jmr07019 wrote:
CsBsSoxPhins wrote:I wonder what Ainge even offered. Unless it's Kyrie going out, he would be very difficult to trade for in terms of matching salaries.

Kawhi Leonard makes 20 mil this upcoming season so I assume he made 19 or 20 last year. The formula is:

Outgoing Salary x 1.5 >= incoming salary

outgoing x 1.5 = 20

outgoing = 13.4 million

wouldn't have been that hard to match. Smart, Baynes, Morris are all around 5 mil. Rozier and Yabs around 3 I think

Could we have even fielded a complete team with that trade? :lol:
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,010

Post#1315 » by PierceFan4ever » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:23 pm

So

Lebron
Hayward
Kawhi
Tatum
Horford

Can happen or nah?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#1316 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:24 pm

Gee, I wonder what the other 28 teams offered, because I'm sure every one of them called the Spurs to check on Kawhi's availability.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#1317 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:26 pm

PierceFan4ever wrote:So

Lebron
Hayward
Kawhi
Tatum
Horford

Can happen or nah?

Maybe in NBA 2K if you use the trade override button.

You can trade Leonard for Irving straight up but you still run into the problem where you have zero cap space to sign Lebron.
*Insert witty signature here.*
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1318 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:35 pm

It's good to know that the Spurs won't trade him for the garbage being offered by Philadelphia. I'm assuming our package included Rozier or Brown.
BruceBanner18
Sophomore
And1: 195

Post#1319 » by BruceBanner18 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:38 pm

For my money, where Kawhi goes, the next super team will happen. I think he is a lynch pin for player movement this off season.

If SA secures Kawhi, they will become the front runner to get LeBron imo. Murray, Kawhi, LeBron, Aldridge under Pop is a great two way team that competes with GS immediately. If they don't get LeBron, I think SA becomes a real threat to signing Kyrie next summer.

If SA can't real him back in, I have no doubt that Ainge pursues him and I don't think he'd be looking to trade Irving. I think that we'd be pairing him with Irving and Irving would be the recruiter of Kawhi. Like SA, team of Irving, Kawhi, Hayward, Tatum, Horford under CBS would be another great two way team that competes with GS immediately. We likely compete with GS as constructed, but Kahwi significantly increases our odds. Personally I would gamble on Brown's accent to All-Star/All Defensive player, but unless there is serious, immediate concern over Leonard's health long term, I think Ainge gambles on a top 5 player being able to manage a nagging injury over Brown becoming an MVP candidate within our 3-4 year championship window.

If Kawhi is dead set on going to LA, then he'll join some combination of LeBron, PG or Paul to form a super team.

Again, I feel like his decision will be the first domino or in concert with other player's decisions.
NYCelticsfan136
Veteran
And1: 1,676

Post#1320 » by NYCelticsfan136 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:50 pm

BruceBanner18 wrote:For my money, where Kawhi goes, the next super team will happen. I think he is a lynch pin for player movement this off season.

If SA secures Kawhi, they will become the front runner to get LeBron imo. Murray, Kawhi, LeBron, Aldridge under Pop is a great two way team that competes with GS immediately. If they don't get LeBron, I think SA becomes a real threat to signing Kyrie next summer.

If SA can't real him back in, I have no doubt that Ainge pursues him and I don't think he'd be looking to trade Irving. I think that we'd be pairing him with Irving and Irving would be the recruiter of Kawhi. Like SA, team of Irving, Kawhi, Hayward, Tatum, Horford under CBS would be another great two way team that competes with GS immediately. We likely compete with GS as constructed, but Kahwi significantly increases our odds. Personally I would gamble on Brown's accent to All-Star/All Defensive player, but unless there is serious, immediate concern over Leonard's health long term, I think Ainge gambles on a top 5 player being able to manage a nagging injury over Brown becoming an MVP candidate within our 3-4 year championship window.

If Kawhi is dead set on going to LA, then he'll join some combination of LeBron, PG or Paul to form a super team.

Again, I feel like his decision will be the first domino or in concert with other player's decisions.

Again the spurs likely will ask for brown the kings pick in 2019. What else? You gonna have to give up a lot for a guy that i worry about long term.

Return to Boston Celtics