ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Re: Official 2018 Yankees Thread 

Post#3321 » by levendis » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:18 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:Been thinking lately...

I wouldn't be surprised if Gary gets traded one day.

The catching regression, the bat going cold not consistent enough, his weight being an issue, just a lot of sloppiness in general I'm seeing from Gary. Maybe he's getting TOO comfortable.

I might get buried for this comment, I hope some of y'all are seeing what I'm seeing.

I see more of a Victor Martinez type of progression for him in the future. He will likely move to 1B or DH as a power bat.

The arm behind the plate is literally all he has as a catcher. Seems like some of the pitchers feel a lot more comfortable throwing to Romine than Gary. We saw a little bit of that in the Mets game with Severino telling Gary to stay back and let him throw the pitch, when Gary was about to go for a mound visit. Which was also a problem with him going out multiple times for a mound visit last year.

I hate to trash Gary because when he's hot, he's a star. But I don't sense it this year. I thought with a new manager he would play his butt off and be right there for MVP talks, at least.

Some of the rift Girardi had with Gary was his weight and him being sloppy behind the plate, but I'm still seeing it this year.

He's a great framer and has a great arm. His blocking and catching sucks. Pitchers pitched better with him than Romine, in a larger sample size last year. The same is going on this year Sanchez (3.46 ERA), Romine (3.61). So the mound visits aren't a problem, just biased by Kay bashing him for it. He's struggling hard, and it happens. Stop attributing it to laziness, you really think he's not trying out there, cmon. Robinson Cano was atrocious in his 4th major league season, age 25 season. Random bad seasons like this happen. But before we come with the hot takes, take a look at how Paul Goldschmidt's season has gone, dude salvaged his season in 5 games. Paul Goldschmidt went from .210/.328/.395 to .254/.364/.509 in 5 games. We survived Posada at catcher all those years and he was worse. Gary is never getting traded, and we would regret it if we ever did. He's one of the best offensive talents period when he's on.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,954

Post#3322 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Yea, I’m gonna give Gary time too. He’ll figure it out. Think it’s more likely a player gets super lazy once they’ve gotten their extension—-not before.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#3323 » by GEOLINK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:34 pm

levendis wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
I see more of a Victor Martinez type of progression for him in the future. He will likely move to 1B or DH as a power bat.

The arm behind the plate is literally all he has as a catcher. Seems like some of the pitchers feel a lot more comfortable throwing to Romine than Gary. We saw a little bit of that in the Mets game with Severino telling Gary to stay back and let him throw the pitch, when Gary was about to go for a mound visit. Which was also a problem with him going out multiple times for a mound visit last year.

I hate to trash Gary because when he's hot, he's a star. But I don't sense it this year. I thought with a new manager he would play his butt off and be right there for MVP talks, at least.

Some of the rift Girardi had with Gary was his weight and him being sloppy behind the plate, but I'm still seeing it this year.

He's a great framer and has a great arm. His blocking and catching sucks. Pitchers pitched better with him than Romine, in a larger sample size last year. The same is going on this year Sanchez (3.46 ERA), Romine (3.61). So the mound visits aren't a problem, just biased by Kay bashing him for it. He's struggling hard, and it happens. Stop attributing it to laziness, you really think he's not trying out there, cmon. Robinson Cano was atrocious in his 4th major league season, age 25 season. Random bad seasons like this happen. But before we come with the hot takes, take a look at how Paul Goldschmidt's season has gone, dude salvaged his season in 5 games. Paul Goldschmidt went from .210/.328/.395 to .254/.364/.509 in 5 games. We survived Posada at catcher all those years and he was worse. Gary is never getting traded, and we would regret it if we ever did. He's one of the best offensive talents period when he's on.

I hear what you're saying. Like I said, I love Gary. So my initial post I know it sounded like I was bashing the guy. I just hope it turns around for him soon.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#3324 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:50 pm

His hitting will come around I believe. He needs to make the necessary adjustments. The defense has been a long term issue though going back to minors. At a certain point you gotta understand someone is who they are.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#3325 » by GEOLINK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:His hitting will come around I believe. He needs to make the necessary adjustments. The defense has been a long term issue though going back to minors. At a certain point you gotta understand someone is who they are.

I just feel like he has the potential to be great though. I don't see the ceiling for him or he hasn't hit it yet.

I just see laziness. Girardi saw it too.
levendis
Sixth Man

Post#3326 » by levendis » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:53 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:His hitting will come around I believe. He needs to make the necessary adjustments. The defense has been a long term issue though going back to minors. At a certain point you gotta understand someone is who they are.

I just feel like he has the potential to be great though. I don't see the ceiling for him or he hasn't hit it yet.

I just see laziness. Girardi saw it too.

I think we're confusing laziness with poor ability and slowed reactions to block balls. He's big for the possition, he's not going to be the quickest to get down there. Is Torres lazy for all the errors he's made so far this year? Has Romine been lazy with the bat all these years? Was Posada lazy behind the dish too? I'm not accusing you of this, but there's a real bias of calling Latino players lazy, so I get annoyed whenever I see that.

The bad stretch he's in right now is troubling because he's just constantly pulling soft grounders. The bad stretch in the beginning of the season was just bad luck that makes his numbers worse than they actually are. He was making a ton of hard contact.
nykfan42
Head Coach
And1: 3,077

Post#3327 » by nykfan42 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:02 pm

knicksh20b wrote:Yea, I’m gonna give Gary time too. He’ll figure it out. Think it’s more likely a player gets super lazy once they’ve gotten their extension—-not before.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I've lost a lot of patience with him. He swings at too many pitches out of the zone. Almost all sliders. He's not even close. Behind the plate is another problem. I can't believe he's the leading vote getter at Catcher for the All star game. It's pretty embarrassing. I like him but the guy has to get it together at the plate and behind the plate. Romine has been better in limited duty and with runner in scoring position.
Make the Knicks great again!
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#3328 » by cuyankees » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 pm

Trade Sanchez? For what, for a bad 60 games? Geez, hope Judge doesn’t go into a slump, god forbid Torres too.
levendis
Sixth Man

Post#3329 » by levendis » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:50 pm

cuyankees wrote:Trade Sanchez? For what, for a bad 60 games? Geez, hope Judge doesn’t go into a slump, god forbid Torres too.

Did you forget about July and August last year? lol
nykfan42
Head Coach

Post#3330 » by nykfan42 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 pm

levendis wrote:
cuyankees wrote:Trade Sanchez? For what, for a bad 60 games? Geez, hope Judge doesn’t go into a slump, god forbid Torres too.

And the Postseason. He had a few big hits but he struck out virtually every other at bat.
levendis
Sixth Man

Post#3331 » by levendis » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:02 pm

nykfan42 wrote:
levendis wrote:

And the Postseason. He had a few big hits but he struck out virtually every other at bat.

He was great against the Astros and the WC game. And made a bunch of clutch plays on the field. You hate Judge too as well? Because in that case the only player you'd be satisfied is Trout it seems.
nykfan42
Head Coach

Post#3332 » by nykfan42 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:21 pm

levendis wrote:
nykfan42 wrote:
levendis wrote:

He was great against the Astros and the WC game. And made a bunch of clutch plays on the field. You hate Judge too as well? Because in that case the only player you'd be satisfied is Trout it seems.

No absolutely not. I love Judge. I was just agreeing with you. Judge is streaky, like Stanton. Very hot and cold. Sanchez' issues I think are concerning because his at bats are really bad. He looks lost.
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#3333 » by cuyankees » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:28 pm

nykfan42 wrote:
levendis wrote:
nykfan42 wrote:And the Postseason. He had a few big hits but he struck out virtually every other at bat.

No absolutely not. I love Judge. I was just agreeing with you. Judge is streaky, like Stanton. Very hot and cold. Sanchez' issues I think are concerning because his at bats are really bad. He looks lost.

Hold the phone here, Stanton/Judge are streaky, but Sanchez is lost @ the plate. Sanchez is actually the better all around hitter on the team (soon to be Torres). There were times during last season when it was better to just have an empty batter’s box than Judge.

Cut the guy some slack geez. Gary is probably top 3 catcher in the league, but let’s trade him bc that makes sense.
nykfan42
Head Coach

Post#3334 » by nykfan42 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:43 pm

cuyankees wrote:
nykfan42 wrote:
levendis wrote:

Hold the phone here, Stanton/Judge are streaky, but Sanchez is lost @ the plate. Sanchez is actually the better all around hitter on the team (soon to be Torres). There were times during last season when it was better to just have an empty batter’s box than Judge.

Cut the guy some slack geez. Gary is probably top 3 catcher in the league, but let’s trade him bc that makes sense.

I never said to trade him haha. Dude chill. I'm simply pointing out that Sanchez looks really bad now. You can't sugarcoat the fact that he's hitting .190 and it's June.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#3335 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Gary Sanchez might be a top 3 catcher but he is definitely not playing like one. He is playing like a candy-a$$ because this is a stacked team. Once again, this re-emphasizes my believe that bringing in a "My buddy" manager like Boone is not the motivational tool which is going to work for every one.

Like or not Girardi, an ex-catcher, called Sanchez out when he was dogging it. It made Gary man-up and focus.
nykfan42
Head Coach

Post#3336 » by nykfan42 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:25 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Gary Sanchez might be a top 3 catcher but he is definitely not playing like one. He is playing like a candy-a$$ because this is a stacked team. Once again, this re-emphasizes my believe that bringing in a "My buddy" manager like Boone is not the motivational tool which is going to work for every one.

Like or not Girardi, an ex-catcher, called Sanchez out when he was dogging it. It made Gary man-up and focus.

I agree. I mean I don't hate Boone, it's still very early to really determine anything but man do I miss Girardi. I still don't get why they let him go. He was the one of if not the best manager in the game. Anyway, you're absolutely right. Sanchez is a top catcher in the game but he is playing like he doesn't belong in the league. I like Sanchez but c'mon, the guy has been awful since the season started.
GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,739

Post#3337 » by GIMME_DATT » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Got to rember Gary plays a position where production is hard to get

He needs better plate discpline it will help him a lot
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#3338 » by xNewYorkMadex » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:43 pm

Yankees have been underperforming and Boone still has this team w/ the best record in the bigs. Give the guy a break. I loved Girardi too and disliked we didnt bring him back. But Boone hasnt hurt this team at all so far and is outperforming expectations right now. Too many of yall are closed minded w/ the Boone hire and I feel are just waiting for him to make his 1st big time mistake in a big moment to call for his head. As if Girardi didnt commit the ultimate blunder last yr in the playoffs.

Our fans just like to nitpick any little thing. I understand the frustration w/ players not performing up to standards, but its been a bad 2 months for Gary. Hes had a solid 2 yrs so far but lets throw him under the bus because of a bad 60+ days. Cmon now.

Im tired of the what have you done for me lately attitude our fans have adopted. We dont support our players enough. I can already tell Stanton will get treated like A-Rod. No matter how many MVP's he gets or monster stats he puts, if he gets into a 3 week funk, the boo birds will come out because people act as if they are paying his salary.

Like I know the forum/twitter/internet in general is a place to vent. I get that, it feels better once we let our frustrations out. But damn, I just feel its going over the top right now. Lets save the criticisms when the team is actually playing like trash. Its more impressive how many of our players arent doing well but the team still comes together and pulls out W's.

We all know our guys are damn talented. Lets not be short sighted w/ their struggles.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Post#3339 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:47 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:Yankees have been underperforming and Boone still has this team w/ the best record in the bigs. Give the guy a break. I loved Girardi too and disliked we didnt bring him back. But Boone hasnt hurt this team at all so far and is outperforming expectations right now. Too many of yall are closed minded w/ the Boone hire and I feel are just waiting for him to make his 1st big time mistake in a big moment to call for his head. As if Girardi didnt commit the ultimate blunder last yr in the playoffs.

Our fans just like to nitpick any little thing. I understand the frustration w/ players not performing up to standards, but its been a bad 2 months for Gary. Hes had a solid 2 yrs so far but lets throw him under the bus because of a bad 60+ days. Cmon now.

Im tired of the what have you done for me lately attitude our fans have adopted. We dont support our players enough. I can already tell Stanton will get treated like A-Rod. No matter how many MVP's he gets or monster stats he puts, if he gets into a 3 week funk, the boo birds will come out because people act as if they are paying his salary.

Like I know the forum/twitter/internet in general is a place to vent. I get that, it feels better once we let our frustrations out. But damn, I just feel its going over the top right now. Lets save the criticisms when the team is actually playing like trash. Its more impressive how many of our players arent doing well but the team still comes together and pulls out W's.

We all know our guys are damn talented. Lets not be short sighted w/ their struggles.

I know the kids have talent and kudos to the farm system and player development guys, but it's a good reflection on the manager too when you plug in 2 rookies on a championship contending team in the country's biggest media market and they come in, are comfortable and are producing to the tune of being in the, what, top 4 for rookie of the year honors, both.
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#3340 » by cuyankees » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:Yankees have been underperforming and Boone still has this team w/ the best record in the bigs. Give the guy a break. I loved Girardi too and disliked we didnt bring him back. But Boone hasnt hurt this team at all so far and is outperforming expectations right now. Too many of yall are closed minded w/ the Boone hire and I feel are just waiting for him to make his 1st big time mistake in a big moment to call for his head. As if Girardi didnt commit the ultimate blunder last yr in the playoffs.

This essentially has been my sentiment for a while in this thread.

If it isn't the pitching getting dogged and called to trade the farm for pitchers, it's Gary or Didi or pick whomever is struggling.

Scary part is that this team is udnerpeforming relative to last year and like you said have best winning % in baseball.

Return to New York Knicks