stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

2018 Utah Jazz Summer League 

Post#1 » by stitches » Wed May 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Jazz announced dates and teams participating in the Utah Jazz summer league:

The dates are: July 2, July 3, July 5

The teams are: Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, Atlanta Hawks and the San Antonio Spurs. Two teams with high picks in the draft will be participating so... would be interesting to see.

Also, the SL is returning to Vivint Smart Home Arena.

http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/utah-jazz-summer-league-announces-dates-teams-and-tickets-vivint-smart-home-arena

Utah Jazz Summer League Announces Dates, Teams and Tickets for Vivint Smart Home Arena
Also introducing new Utah Jazz 3 on 3 Tournament for youth and adults

Now in its fourth year, the 2018 Utah Jazz Summer League presented by America First Credit Union, University of Utah Health and the Utah Sports Commission will be held on July 2, 3 and 5 at Vivint Smart Home Arena, featuring the Jazz and San Antonio Spurs as returning teams and the Atlanta Hawks and Memphis Grizzlies as newcomers.

Beginning Thursday, Jazz season ticket holders will have early access to tickets with general public sales starting on Friday at 10 a.m. (MT). Lower bowl tickets will be available at $8 for a one-day pass or $15 for a three-day pass. A one-day pass provides access to both games played on that day.

Each team will play three games over the four-day span as part of daily doubleheaders at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. (MT). No league games will be played on Wednesday, July 4. Tickets for the six-game, four-team event can be purchased online at www.utahjazzsummerleague.com, on the Utah Jazz mobile app, by calling (801) 355-DUNK or visiting the Vivint Smart Home Arena box office during regular business hours.

For the first time, the public will be able to play as well as spectate. The Utah Jazz 3on3 Tournament will be held all day on Monday, July 2 on outdoor courts at Park Place located across the street from Vivint Smart Home Arena. A total of 34 divisions, ranging from age 9 boys and girls to under 6-foot only teams and “Top Gun” men’s and women’s categories, are available. Registration includes four games and a single elimination tournament along with a T-shirt, admission ticket to one day of Utah Jazz Summer League and a drawstring bag. Registration will be available through www.utahjazzsummerleague.com.

Each session of the Utah Jazz Summer League will feature a pre-game “Fan Fest” on the Vivint Smart Home Arena plaza with special activities and entertainment. The Jazz will also be conducting basketball clinics that week for underserved youth on local community courts.

Utah Jazz Summer League play tips off with Atlanta, who owns the third pick in the NBA Draft 2018 among its three first-round selections (No. 19 and 30), playing Memphis with the fourth overall pick. The Jazz (No. 21 and 52 selections) will face San Antonio (No. 18 and 49 picks) on opening night.

The following is the 2018 Utah Jazz Summer League schedule (all Mountain Time):

Monday, July 2
5 p.m. – Atlanta vs. Memphis 7 p.m. – San Antonio vs. Utah

Tuesday, July 3
5 p.m. – Atlanta vs. San Antonio 7 p.m. – Memphis vs. Utah

Wednesday, July 4
No games scheduled

Thursday, July 5
5 p.m. – Memphis vs. San Antonio 7 p.m. – Atlanta vs. Utah

The Utah Jazz Summer League showcases rookies selected in the 2018 NBA Draft competing in their first NBA games, sophomores, select free agents and athletes competing to make NBA and G League regular season rosters.

Utahjazz.com will be the online home for comprehensive coverage of all Summer League activities. Fans can visit www.utahjazzsummerleague.com for game previews, live stats, photo galleries, results, game recaps and more. The hashtag #UtahJazzSL will be used to categorize Utah Jazz Summer League social media.

Broadcast and streaming information for the Utah Jazz Summer League will be announced at a later date.

Three-day attendance for the 2017 Utah Jazz Summer League was 22,775 at the Jon M. Huntsman Center on the campus of the University of Utah due to the summer renovation of Vivint Smart Home Arena. Since the return of the Utah Jazz Summer League in 2015, total attendance has surpassed 75,000 fans.

The host Jazz, led by guards Danté Exum and Donovan Mitchell, finished the Utah Jazz Summer League with a 3-0 record last year followed by San Antonio (1-2), Boston (1-2) and Philadelphia (1-2) with Markelle Fultz, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Davis Bertans and Bryn Forbes participating.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Re: 2018 Utah Jazz Summer League 

Post#2 » by Stern Fixer » Wed May 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Cool, wonder if we'll see either Mitchell or Exum again this year. Always fun to see what the rookie prospects look like regardless.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
stitches
RealGM

Post#3 » by stitches » Wed May 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Stern Fixer wrote:Cool, wonder if we'll see either Mitchell or Exum again this year. Always fun to see what the rookie prospects look like regardless.

I doubt either Exum or Mitchell will be in the SL. Exum will be having free agency at the time so this is a 100% no-go IMO. And I don't want to see Mitchell in SL either. He has bigger fish to fry.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#4 » by Catchall » Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 am

Mitchell might be in the stands to welcome the new draft pick. That would be about it.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#5 » by AingesBurner » Thu May 17, 2018 1:24 am

Donovan won’t play, not worth the injury risk.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#6 » by KqWIN » Thu May 17, 2018 1:42 am

Tony Bradley is going to dominate the three point shooting bigs who can't shoot.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#7 » by MTJazzv3 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 5:34 am

KqWIN wrote:Tony Bradley is going to dominate the three point shooting bigs who can't shoot.

That would be nice. Given he saw about 16 minutes all season in the NBA I'm still voting project on him. The reality is, however, that any big man (not named Rudy) has to have an outside game anymore and if he can bring it...another kudo to DL and staff if it happens. Not holding my breath at this point but open-minded to Bradley busting into the rotation.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#8 » by KqWIN » Mon Jun 4, 2018 5:48 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Tony Bradley is going to dominate the three point shooting bigs who can't shoot.

That would be nice. Given he saw about 16 minutes all season in the NBA I'm still voting project on him. The reality is, however, that any big man (not named Rudy) has to have an outside game anymore and if he can bring it...another kudo to DL and staff if it happens. Not holding my breath at this point but open-minded to Bradley busting into the rotation.

There's really no good explanation for the Bradley pick. It makes no sense to draft someone who's both a project and the type of player that is becoming extinct in the NBA. Nobody is out there looking for a ground bound big man who can't shoot, can't move his feet in space, and doesn't protect the rim. His best skill (offensive rebounding) is also something that our coach actively avoids doing.
stitches
RealGM

Post#9 » by stitches » Mon Jun 4, 2018 6:06 am

Bigs who cannot handle the ball and create offense very rarely dominate in SL because they need to either be monsters on D(Rudy) or they need good guard play to involve them in the O and there is usually no good guard play in SL.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#10 » by KqWIN » Mon Jun 4, 2018 6:14 am

stitches wrote:Bigs who cannot handle the ball and create offense very rarely dominate in SL because they need to either be monsters on D(Rudy) or they need good guard play to involve them in the O and there is usually no good guard play in SL.

You forgot about the high volume of air ball passes. Bradley should feast.
stitches
RealGM

Post#11 » by stitches » Mon Jun 4, 2018 7:48 pm

Read on Twitter

How long before Quin throws a flag to stop a fast break? :D
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#12 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jun 4, 2018 7:52 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

I've been waiting for this moment.
Ingles is cooked.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#13 » by zero24gravity » Mon Jun 4, 2018 11:01 pm

The 3on3 thing isn't new. Years ago they played 3 on 3 tournaments outside and then the players got to go in and watch summer league for free. That was back in my athletic prime days. I even hit a buzzer beater from the very back of the court for a win outside of the arena in a huge wind storm (pure luck, but I don't care).

In general, I'd like to see 3 on 3 tournaments make a come back. They used to host them 2 or 3 times a month, all over the Salt Lake Valley. Was my fav thing about summer (and cost me a lot of $)! Get off the damn couch young people and go play ball!
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#14 » by MTJazzv3 » Tue Jun 5, 2018 2:20 pm

zero24gravity wrote:The 3on3 thing isn't new. Years ago they played 3 on 3 tournaments outside and then the players got to go in and watch summer league for free. That was back in my athletic prime days. I even hit a buzzer beater from the very back of the court for a win outside of the arena in a huge wind storm (pure luck, but I don't care).

In general, I'd like to see 3 on 3 tournaments make a come back. They used to host them 2 or 3 times a month, all over the Salt Lake Valley. Was my fav thing about summer (and cost me a lot of $)! Get off the damn couch young people and go play ball!

But wait...it is so much more gratifying being a forum and NBA 2K stud. Why would a dude actually play hoops? :lol:
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#15 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Jun 5, 2018 2:33 pm

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

Day 1. 12th play of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
stitches
RealGM

Post#16 » by stitches » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Read on Twitter
stitches
RealGM

Post#17 » by stitches » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Read on Twitter
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#18 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:30 am

stitches wrote:
Read on Twitter

Expected this - now throw in the Jazz first and second plus some un-drafted dudes and we'll see how the pipeline looks. Last year was ridiculous with Ex for a minute, DM and Royce. Yeah, it's SL, but its guys trying to make the bigs and balling none-the-less. Talent does show sometimes.
stitches
RealGM

Post#19 » by stitches » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:32 am

Read on Twitter
MTJazzv3
Veteran

Post#20 » by MTJazzv3 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Good news for the Jazz - Lakers officially announce Diangelo Ball will not be invited to join their summer league team. https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/250317/Lakers-Inform-LiAngleo-Ball-He-Wont-Be-On-Summer-League-Team

Jazz will look foolish for not signing with BBB a year from now...just think what social media presence boost the Jazz would get if DM didn't kill the usurper to his crown first.

Return to Utah Jazz