NBA Sends Memo Suggesting Possible Elimination Of One-And-Done Rule By 2021

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

NBA Sends Memo Suggesting Possible Elimination Of One-And-Done Rule By 2021 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:29 pm

The NBA has sent a memo to all 30 teams on Friday indicating that the one-and-done rule could be eliminated as early as 2021.

The memo does not mention the one-and-done rule by name, but it is meant to remind teams the league and the players union could agree to scrap one-and-one before the expiration of the current collective bargaining deal in 2024.

The first draft in which the rule is changed will surely be loaded with the best prospects from two straight high school classes.

The memo serves as something of an advisory to teams who might think about trading away future first-round picks in the lead-up to Thursday's draft. 

The league instituted the one-and-done rule in 2005, but it has since been met with criticism on many sides of the issue.

The league will discuss the issue further during annual meetings at Summer League in Las Vegas, the memo says.

MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Re: NBA Sends Memo Suggesting Possible Elimination Of One-And-Done Rule By 2021 

Post#2 » by MrBigShot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Good, screw the NCAA. If players want to make the leap to the NBA they should be able to do so. The one and done rule atm has absolutely nothing to do with helping young players out and everything to do with reducing the likelihood of drafting a bust.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:37 pm

How about the G League?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,736

Post#4 » by Deivork » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:08 pm

"The first draft in which the rule is changed will surely be loaded with the best prospects from two straight high school classes."

What?? No?
Win it for Al, win it for Marcus, win it for Bill #banner18 :beer:
Silver & Co: bring defense back to the NBA, please :cry:
Every day, we praise the the Lord for having Jayson "M.F." Tatum :nod:
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,494

Post#5 » by dice » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:23 pm

MrBigShot wrote:Good, screw the NCAA. If players want to make the leap to the NBA they should be able to do so.

:banghead:

it is not the NCAA's rule! players CHOOSE to play college ball because the NBA doesn't want them yet. they can play in europe for a year if they want to

The one and done rule atm has absolutely nothing to do with helping young players out and everything to do with reducing the likelihood of drafting a bust.

it has never claimed to be about helping young players out. it is entirely about nba risk. eliminating the 1 and done will help the player and make the product that the ncaa and nba offer worse

we as fans should want the restrictions to be tightened, not loosened. as unfair as that is to a small group of future millionaires and their families
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#6 » by dice » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Deivork wrote:"The first draft in which the rule is changed will surely be loaded with the best prospects from two straight high school classes."

What?? No?

what is it that you're confused about? if the rule is eliminated in 2021 you will have the best prospects from the HS classes of 2020 and 2021 entering the nba in the same year
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Post#7 » by MrBigShot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:33 pm

dice wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:Good, screw the NCAA. If players want to make the leap to the NBA they should be able to do so.

it is not the NCAA's rule! players CHOOSE to play college ball because the NBA doesn't want them yet. they can play in europe for a year if they want to

The one and done rule atm has absolutely nothing to do with helping young players out and everything to do with reducing the likelihood of drafting a bust.

it has never claimed to be about helping young players out. it is entirely about nba risk. eliminating the 1 and done will help the player and make the product that the ncaa and nba offer worse

we as fans should want the restrictions to be tightened, not loosened. as unfair as that is to a small group of future millionaires and their families

Of course it's not the NCAA's rule. Where did I say it was? I said screw the NCAA because the NCAA benefits heavily from the rule. They make obscene amounts of money off of young players who in return get relatively little compensation. For a lot of players on a roster a full ride is fantastic, but for a one and done prospect looking to play in the NBA it's very little. Sure, players can go overseas but going to a foreign country but that's clearly not a very attractive option considering how rarely it happens.

As a fan I'm not interested in eliminating risk for teams. They should step up their scouting. It just seems really silly to me that elite prospects (many of whom come from rough backgrounds, something that people forget) have to spend a year playing college/overseas when they have the talent to play in the NBA and would benefit more from playing in the NBA.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#8 » by gordoncatrell » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:33 pm

good. outdated rule.
Calipari gonna quit bc of this.
dice
RealGM

Post#9 » by dice » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:37 pm

MrBigShot wrote:
dice wrote:

Of course it's not the NCAA's rule. Where did I say it was? I said screw the NCAA because the NCAA benefits heavily from the rule.

the players are using the NCAA for exposure just as much as the NCAA is using the players for profits

As a fan I'm not interested in eliminating risk for teams.

you should be interested in a better product on the court. which will be made worse by the elimination of the rule

the change would hurt parity as well...if that's something you care about
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#10 » by pickIBL » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:14 pm

dice wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:
dice wrote::banghead:

Of course it's not the NCAA's rule. Where did I say it was? I said screw the NCAA because the NCAA benefits heavily from the rule.

the players are using the NCAA for exposure just as much as the NCAA is using the players for profits

As a fan I'm not interested in eliminating risk for teams.

you should be interested in a better product on the court. which will be made worse by the elimination of the rule

the change would hurt parity as well...if that's something you care about

Yea what would the mlb do without college baseball. Weak argument
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,538

Post#11 » by lonzo_pelota » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:36 pm

does the JBA have them shook :lol:
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#12 » by dan-man » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:34 am

get ready for bust city and a loaded G-League.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#13 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:52 am

Clearing the way for LBJJr. They want that father/son season. Gonna be hella ratings.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#14 » by Lalouie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:25 am

it's not a 1done rule, it's a minimum age rule. there is no 1done "rule".
i would think the nba wants to make sure their g-league is set for the onslaught of high school players opting to bypass college
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 232

Post#15 » by tigerae » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:34 am

With the NCAA taking advantage of some of these kids, I don't blame the NBA.

Provide them with some sort of lifetime insurance policy if they get hurt and can't play again while at school and make their scholarships be available throughout their lifetimes would be a good start. This would give them good safety nets and allow them to get a better degree if needed down the road if their basketball careers don't pan out.

Sent from my SM-G935T using RealGM mobile app
xam2k7
Junior
And1: 23

Post#16 » by xam2k7 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Lalouie wrote:it's not a 1done rule, it's a minimum age rule. there is no 1done "rule".
i would think the nba wants to make sure their g-league is set for the onslaught of high school players opting to bypass college

it is a "one and done" rule because they have to be one year removed from HS basketball in order to be eligible for the NBA. A 19 year old HS graduate still is not eligible for the draft.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#17 » by ElectricMayhem » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:44 am

Dear teams,

As your commissioner, it is my duty to remind you: Do not tank. Tanking ruins the league. Don't talk about it, don't think about it, don't do it.

By the way, for those of you not inclined to heed my previous warning, the most advantageous time to tank will be for the 2021 draft. I am telling you now so you can begin preparations for tanking.

Sincerely,

Adam Silver.

P.S. Remember, no tanking!
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,237

Post#18 » by Harry Garris » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:23 am

tigerae wrote:With the NCAA taking advantage of some of these kids, I don't blame the NBA.

Provide them with some sort of lifetime insurance policy if they get hurt and can't play again while at school and make their scholarships be available throughout their lifetimes would be a good start. This would give them good safety nets and allow them to get a better degree if needed down the road if their basketball careers don't pan out.

Sent from my SM-G935T using RealGM mobile app

Has a player talented enough to be drafted out of high school ever had a career ending injury while in college? I can't remember any time where that's happened. Yes it would be terrible if that ever occurred but I don't think it's something that's a huge concern with college basketball right now.
Chi
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,376

Post#19 » by Chi » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:58 am

I don't get why "fans" want this to come to an end... Do you not see the difference in the level of player that's in the league currently compared to the Highschool trash we used to put up with in the early 2000s era?

I'd much rather see it become 2 years than 0...

I mean yea, obviously you've got your Lebron, Kobe and KG and a few others. But the list of SCRUBS that came out of HS in that time period is ugly.

On the other hand I DO Agree that the NCAA is ripping these guys off. I don't like that aspect of it, and I think the G League needs to prepare for a takeover, that would be the perfect scenario in my mind.

But I don't want to see every athletic potential "Darius Miles" guy in highschool getting drafted early again.

What do we get like 1 bust per year now? Doug McDermott is like the only guy I can think of recently not living up to his potential yet, and he's not even that bad...

Just imagine Trey Young being the number 1 pick because of his high school potential. I'm not a fan of this idea...

Let these guys develop first. We need more Damian Lillards and less Sebastian Telfair's
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#20 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:47 am

Chi wrote:I don't get why "fans" want this to come to an end... Do you not see the difference in the level of player that's in the league currently compared to the Highschool trash we used to put up with in the early 2000s era?

I'd much rather see it become 2 years than 0...

I mean yea, obviously you've got your Lebron, Kobe and KG and a few others. But the list of SCRUBS that came out of HS in that time period is ugly.

On the other hand I DO Agree that the NCAA is ripping these guys off. I don't like that aspect of it, and I think the G League needs to prepare for a takeover, that would be the perfect scenario in my mind.

But I don't want to see every athletic potential "Darius Miles" guy in highschool getting drafted early again.

What do we get like 1 bust per year now? Doug McDermott is like the only guy I can think of recently not living up to his potential yet, and he's not even that bad...

Just imagine Trey Young being the number 1 pick because of his high school potential. I'm not a fan of this idea...

Let these guys develop first. We need more Damian Lillards and less Sebastian Telfair's

If they aren't good enough, they won't play. The NBA is basically just developing a more expansive farm system to bypass the crooked NCAA. Increased international appeal, out-of-HS eligibility, longer drafts (3 or 4 rounds), revamped developmental league (G League)... We're trending towards the future, my friend. Do you really have to put "fans" in quotation marks just because we believe that's a good thing?
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph

Return to Wiretap Discussion