WWE General Discussion II

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,853

WWE General Discussion II 

Post#1 » by Stanford » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:52 pm

I think Ricochet is like a cross between Rey Mysterio and the Undertaker.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Re: WWE General Discussion II 

Post#2 » by improper » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:05 pm

Saying Pete Dunne has a bit of Stone Cold in his character isn't inaccurate, though, whereas Ricochet is nothing at all like Undertaker.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#3 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:31 pm

I guess the memory of Velveteen Dream (we can't just use his initials?) in one of the Tough Enough competitions sticks with me, and that's probably why I can't understand why some think he's a great prospect. I mean... he went up against a bunch of pretty bad prospects and lost somewhere in the middle. He looked like he had talent, but he sounded like an ass and obviously didn't shine enough anywhere to stay in the competition. When I see him, I remember a loser from that competition. And using the name Velveteen Dream doesn't help with my image of him. So, when people are saying he's better than Dunne... ehhhh, well, I made my point.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by Stanford » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:he went up against a bunch of pretty bad prospects and lost somewhere in the middle. He looked like he had talent, but he sounded like an ass and obviously didn't shine enough anywhere to stay in the competition. When I see him, I remember a loser from that competition.

Merit isn't considered when deciding the winner of Tough Enough. The two winners of that season didn't have a single televised NXT match while the losers are thriving.

He didn't lose because he was bad. Everyone knew he was the best.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 pm

Stanford wrote:
Ruzious wrote:he went up against a bunch of pretty bad prospects and lost somewhere in the middle. He looked like he had talent, but he sounded like an ass and obviously didn't shine enough anywhere to stay in the competition. When I see him, I remember a loser from that competition.

Merit isn't considered when deciding the winner of Tough Enough. The two winners of that season didn't have a single televised NXT match while the losers are thriving.

Doesn't really matter - he got eliminated for reasons over a period of time - presumably valid, and now people here just 3 years later are calling him the best young pro wrestler in the business. If you have different standards - that's fine. For me, it doesn't compute - at all.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Stanford » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:10 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Stanford wrote:

Doesn't really matter - he got eliminated for reasons over a period of time - presumably valid, and now people here just 3 years later are calling him the best young pro wrestler in the business. If you have different standards - that's fine. For me, it doesn't compute - at all.

He got eliminated by an online fan vote, which the coaches strongly disagreed with.

If you have different standards, that's fine.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 pm

Stanford wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Stanford wrote:

He got eliminated by an online fan vote, which the coaches strongly disagreed with.

If you have different standards, that's fine.

That's quite a brain trust. :) That's a good point, though. I didn't care enough to look into it.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,755

Post#8 » by spykelee » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:51 pm

Patrick shouldn't have been voted off that show. He had won almost all of the challenges to that point I think. Wasn't it something about his humility or something that got him voted off?

That show represents a missed opportunity and nothing more. Mandy rose and Sonya deville were both voted off from that season and have since made the main roster. Does that make them better prospects than VD?

I have nothing but love for VD, but I think Dunne is as close to an equally exciting prospect as you can get.

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM mobile app
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by improper » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:56 pm

spykelee wrote:That show represents a missed opportunity and nothing more. Mandy rose and Sonya deville were both voted off from that season and have since made the main roster. Does that make them better prospects than VD?

Nope, just shows how devoid of talent the women's division is on the main roster. Got about six to eight girls who know how to work and the rest are just Diva-era crap.

I feel like male main roster prospects have to demonstrate the ability to be incredibly good at something. Owens was great in the ring and on the mic, even if his look isn't great. Zayn was an elite worker with a good character (his awesome heel work has proven how great he is on the mic, at least before he went to Raw...guessing that's a Vince issue) and a solid look. AJ Styles came in as one of the best workers in the world, probably the most famous non-WWE wrestler, and improved a great deal on the mic. The list goes on.

Female prospects basically just have to demonstrate the ability to walk and chew gum and look good while doing it. That's enough for Vince. Or if you're related to Rock, I guess you get pushed too. I'd include Flair in that too, but Charlotte at least deserved her push, even if they shouldn't have had her beat Asuka only to job to Carmella.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Stanford » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:33 pm

I think Mandy and Sonya are on their way to being good wrestlers.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by improper » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:05 pm

Stanford wrote:I think Mandy and Sonya are on their way to being good wrestlers.

They are, but I don't think either of them should be on the main roster right now. They should both be in NXT, as they are clearly still learning how to work.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,549

Post#12 » by Dominator83 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:09 am

Ruzious wrote:
Stanford wrote:

If we're going by that standard, then do you still see Dolph Ziggler as a cheerleader?
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,213

Post#13 » by LLJ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:56 am

improper wrote:
spykelee wrote:That show represents a missed opportunity and nothing more. Mandy rose and Sonya deville were both voted off from that season and have since made the main roster. Does that make them better prospects than VD?

Nope, just shows how devoid of talent the women's division is on the main roster. Got about six to eight girls who know how to work and the rest are just Diva-era crap.

I feel like male main roster prospects have to demonstrate the ability to be incredibly good at something. Owens was great in the ring and on the mic, even if his look isn't great. Zayn was an elite worker with a good character (his awesome heel work has proven how great he is on the mic, at least before he went to Raw...guessing that's a Vince issue) and a solid look. AJ Styles came in as one of the best workers in the world, probably the most famous non-WWE wrestler, and improved a great deal on the mic. The list goes on.

Female prospects basically just have to demonstrate the ability to walk and chew gum and look good while doing it. That's enough for Vince. Or if you're related to Rock, I guess you get pushed too. I'd include Flair in that too, but Charlotte at least deserved her push, even if they shouldn't have had her beat Asuka only to job to Carmella.

Funny thing: I heard Vince's favorite female wrestler of all time was actually AJ Lee because she was "different" from the cookie cutter types. Yet he still keeps pushing DE BLONDES.

I don't think Vince cares as much about in-ring ability as he should. I heard he only fell for AJ Lee when he saw her character and mic work. It wasn't the fact that she was a half-decent worker that impressed him, though he probably would have used it to bolster any argument if he were asked.

I'm going to guess the major reason Asuka keeps hanging around the title picture and being put in major angles still is probably because of her look and charisma rather than her wrestling ability.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:00 am

Dominater wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Stanford wrote:

If we're going by that standard, then do you still see Dolph Ziggler as a cheerleader?

I see absolutely no comparison - understanding that Ziggler was part of the Spirit Squad.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Stanford » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:04 am

LLJ wrote:Yet he still keeps pushing DE BLONDES.

:roll: That's all you see Alexa as?
LLJ
RealGM

Post#16 » by LLJ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:07 am

Stanford wrote:
LLJ wrote:Yet he still keeps pushing DE BLONDES.

:roll: That's all you see Alexa as?

Alexa is actually a good character, mic worker, and actress. But if she were black, brunette or anything other than a hot blonde, would she would get the same push? You need to really ask yourself this.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Stanford » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:09 am

LLJ wrote:But if she were black, brunette or anything other than a hot blonde, would she would get the same push?

Yes.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#18 » by LLJ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:13 am

Stanford wrote:
LLJ wrote:But if she were black, brunette or anything other than a hot blonde, would she would get the same push?

Yes.

LOL. We'll have to agree to disagree here. Cats don't change their stripes that quickly. In the history of the WWE there have been countless non-blondes who were just as skilled mic workers and character actors. Yet it was always the standard "hot" blondes who ended up being on top the majority of the time. AJ Lee was an exception. Even Paige found herself fighting from underneath against many of the standard WWE Diva types despite being a 10x better worker and as good on the mic.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by improper » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:17 am

LLJ wrote:Funny thing: I heard Vince's favorite female wrestler of all time was actually AJ Lee because she was "different" from the cookie cutter types. Yet he still keeps pushing DE BLONDES.

I don't think Vince cares as much about in-ring ability as he should. I heard he only fell for AJ Lee when he saw her character and mic work. It wasn't the fact that she was a half-decent worker that impressed him, though he probably would have used it to bolster any argument if he were asked.

I'm going to guess the major reason Asuka keeps hanging around the title picture and being put in major angles still is probably because of her look and charisma rather than her wrestling ability.

From what I read, he grew to appreciate AJ over time, which is why she eventually got a great push. I'd compare her to Kevin Owens. He's another guy who has a look Vince usually hates, but Owens won him over by being a great worker and always being available, which is why he's still around.

Stanford wrote:

Yes.

Come on, man. You don't honestly believe that.

Maybe if she was brunette. But if she were black or Asian? No chance she gets booked as dominantly as Alexa has been.

Hell, we literally saw what Vince has done with Asuka, an attractive Asian woman who is probably the most dominant female performer the WWE has ever had outside of Chyna, who looked like a dude. It took like a month and a half for Vince to turn her into a forgettable joke.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#20 » by LLJ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:22 am

improper wrote:
Come on, man. You don't honestly believe that.

Maybe if she was brunette. But if she were black or Asian? No chance she gets booked as dominantly as Alexa has been.

Hell, we literally saw what Vince has done with Asuka, an attractive Asian woman who is probably the most dominant female performer the WWE has ever had outside of Chyna, who looked like a dude. It took like a month and a half for Vince to turn her into a forgettable joke.

Yup.

That being said, I've still got a feeling Asuka's going to walk into SummerSlam with the SD title. If I'm wrong then this whole feud with Carmella has been a complete waste of time.

Return to Pro Wrestling