ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Sign Allonzo Trier to 2-Way Contract

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,787

Re: Knicks Sign Allonzo Trier to 2-Way Contract 

Post#101 » by Adelheid » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:43 am

Lots of competition on the guard front. Timmy better play D or he might lose pt to these kids.
Ron needs to get his shooting on par as well.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#102 » by DrCoach » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:50 am

Frank, Trey, Mudiay, Dotson, Baker, Trier........... Lee and Hardaway, too many SG's. Let the 6 younger guys rock out, ok, Hardaway isn't old but if we can get tha same production for 1 mil a year, that's frees us up!

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,914

Re: RE: Re: Knicks Sign Allonzo Trier to 2-Way Contract 

Post#103 » by GONYK » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:56 am

DrCoach wrote:Frank, Trey, Mudiay, Dotson, Baker, Trier........... Lee and Hardaway, too many SG's. Let the 6 younger guys rock out, ok, Hardaway isn't old but if we can get tha same production for 1 mil a year, that's frees us up!

I'd honestly be very surprised if Lee makes it to training camp
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#104 » by earthmansurfer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:04 am

GONYK wrote:
DrCoach wrote:Frank, Trey, Mudiay, Dotson, Baker, Trier........... Lee and Hardaway, too many SG's. Let the 6 younger guys rock out, ok, Hardaway isn't old but if we can get tha same production for 1 mil a year, that's frees us up!

Do you think he has more value now than before the draft? Could be possible, as in general, not many trades before the draft.
At this point, some of these vets really deserve a chance on a great team. Give us a nice asset or the like.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#105 » by earthmansurfer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:06 am

Triple C wrote:
Trier could have a similar opportunity with the Knicks next season, which is likely a major reason why he chose New York over the other offers he received. Trier’s agent, James Dunleavy, said via text message on Friday that Trier had “multiple teams” offering to draft him in the second round and sign him to a two-way deal. “But we felt New York was the best fit for him and they showed the most interest of anyone during the predraft process, so going undrafted and signing with them was the best option for him,” Dunleavy said. “He had multiple two-way offers elsewhere and we agreed that New York was the best fit for him. He’s excited to get to New York and show them what he’s capable of.” Dunleavy said the Knicks even gave strong consideration to drafting Trier at No. 36, though they chose Mitchell Robinson.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcats/basketball/with-creative-contracts-allonzo-trier-rawle-alkins-optimistic-about-long/collection_6f2b3a6c-7690-11e8-852c-7bbda7c0c0aa.html

Not sure if we promised him some minutes, but it makes too much sense. The guy can be a very very nice scorer and he comes from a GREAT program. He just has to step up defensively.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#106 » by earthmansurfer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:08 am

stuporman wrote:Trier is a guy who is a 'smallish' 6-5 with PG speed and quickness that can break down the defense, dish or finish and get to the line. He played mostly off ball as a SG at Arizona and even with that he was averaging more than 3 apg.

If he was tasked to play the 1 he would most definitely have more assists since he's got great vision and can make all the passes plus his defensive liabilities might be hidden more than against SGs.

It's obviously wait and see with rooks and he has a rough road ahead to prove himself but he fits the mold of the modern PG especially the way they are being used with guys like Harden, Curry and such.

I haven't thought Trier to be special as pg (I think he started at that at UA, didn't he? I could swear he was listed as pg at times.)
3 assists as a SG is actually pretty nice. I can't imagine him not getting 6 or so if he played PG on that team with Ayton down low.
Anyway, if he can see the floor ok, at least he is a combo guard, which in todays NBA is important. And I can imagine a necessity under Fiz.
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,098

Post#107 » by Juco24 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:19 am

GONYK wrote:

Was thinking the same thing. Also don't think Ron makes it to opening day and if so- G league (if that's an option )
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#108 » by DrCoach » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:17 pm

GONYK wrote:

I love what he brings on and off the court, but we need to develop anf tank
captvict
Sixth Man
And1: 512

Post#109 » by captvict » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:22 pm

stuporman wrote:Trier might be the best PG the Knicks got right now.....

And 1

This dude was a steal. Hopefully they dump Lee and give him the minutes

Frank
Trier
Knox
Kp
Robinson
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#110 » by KnixinSix » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:16 pm

This kids agility, explosion,shooting, creativity and finishing around the basket is almost Kyrie like. I mean it is really, really good. He could be the steal of the draft.

For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Knicks Sign Allonzo Trier to 2-Way Contract 

Post#111 » by blanko » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:41 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Do you think he has more value now than before the draft? Could be possible, as in general, not many trades before the draft.
At this point, some of these vets really deserve a chance on a great team. Give us a nice asset or the like.
Some team looking to make a playoff push always can use a wing.

Sent from my LGM-V300K using Tapatalk
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#112 » by CharlesOakley » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:01 pm

I love all the PEDs bashing in this thread. What percentage of the league do you think takes something in the offseason? This isn't a church choir. Everyone is looking for an edge.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,927

Post#113 » by stuporman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:22 pm

If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Knicks Sign Allonzo Trier to 2-Way Contract 

Post#114 » by earthmansurfer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:53 pm

blanko wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
GONYK wrote:I'd honestly be very surprised if Lee makes it to training camp

Some team looking to make a playoff push always can use a wing.

Sent from my LGM-V300K using Tapatalk

Agreed, but GoNYK said he would be surprised if he made it to training camp. That means soon.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by earthmansurfer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Really, after just looking into it, it was never that worrisome. It appears as though it was a mistake. Anyway, he continued to play well after it left his body. I'm more concerned about his defense. ;-)
New Knicks
Junior
And1: 190

Post#116 » by New Knicks » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:08 pm

Man if he can play good bye Baker. Trade lee and l Thomas. Let go full tank this year we could have 60!million in cap next year.
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#117 » by fatalogic » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:22 pm

I don't have a problem picking him up but I'm not excited yet. I can't wait to see what he brings in summer league though.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#118 » by KnixinSix » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:05 pm

fatalogic wrote:I don't have a problem picking him up but I'm not excited yet. I can't wait to see what he brings in summer league though.

I am kind of excited because he was also like the 10 ranked HS player in the entire country coming out. The game is evident. He is a walking bucket and has some size and explosiveness to him and finishes in traffic. Translatable skills for sure , now the question will be does he have the mental toughness, work ethic and BBIQ that translates as well?
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,574

Post#119 » by Buttah304 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:03 pm

KnixinSix wrote:This kids agility, explosion,shooting, creativity and finishing around the basket is almost Kyrie like. I mean it is really, really good. He could be the steal of the draft.

Favorite parts of the video:

1:18 (crossover right to left)
2:55 (hand switch mid air)
3:57 (head fake)
7:37 (behind the back switch during drive)
7:54 (reminded me of Chauncey with the pull up 3)
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#120 » by Jose7 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:07 am

some links:

Allonzo Trier
Height: 6-5
Weight: 205
College: Arizona
Classification: Junior
Birthdate: 1/17/1996
2018 Top 100 Rank: 57

Projected Draft Range: 2nd Round to Undrafted

Pros:
Good shooter from all over the floor
Good scorer off the dribble
Excels at scoring on the move
Tremendous free throw generator
Very good free throw shooter
Prolific scorer
Decent playmaker
Solid athlete

Cons:
Can be a streaky shooter
Lacks an elite first step off the dribble
Tends to force the issue too much on offense
Needs to improve his rebounding
Struggles to guard quicker players
Does not collect many steals or blocks
May be a bit undersized to play the off-guard position
Has been suspended multiple times for PED use

Summary:
Allonzo Trier is an athletic swingman that excels at scoring the basketball, and he can make shots in many different ways. He is a good shooter and scorer that can do a variety of things to help his team, and he is also is an adequate playmaker that can pass and handle the basketball on offense.

Last year, he missed time as a result of testing positive for PEDs, but in his first game back, but he played very well after his return. This year, he was excelling as a junior prior to being suspended once again for testing positive for PED use. While that could potentially hamper his draft stock, Trier is a gifted scorer that can make shots in a variety of ways, as he could be a second round pick in 2018.

If Allonzo Trier does go undrafted — and the experts believe he will — one national writer thinks NBA teams could be making a big mistake.

Matt Norlander of CBS Sports lists the former Arizona Wildcats guard as one of seven “sleepers” who “could make any team that passes on them look bad.”

Here’s Norlander’s explanation:

The Arizona lead guard averaged 18.1 points, 3.2 assists, 3.0 rebounds and shot a tremendous 62 percent from 2-point range. Any time a guard is clipping the 60-percent point from 2 while taking a fair share of 3-pointers, it’s a great sign. Trier, for what it’s worth, shot 38 percent from 3-point range last season and averaged 5.6 trey attempts.

I like him as a sleeper particularly because of where he is (or isn’t) projected. If he goes undrafted, his agent will have a long line of teams trying to land him right after the 60th pick is in. If he is picked, he’ll line up as a more promising offensive player than at least 20 of the guys taken in the second round. And it’s not just that he can score: I think he’s a good decision-maker with his shots, and I think he’s built to have the best range on his 3-pointer outside of any guard in this draft named Trae Young.

Deandre Ayton was Arizona’s best and most important player last year, but Trier seems to been pushed too far on the backburner over the past two-plus months.

It does seem crazy that an NBA team could sign a player who nearly shot 50/40/90 in a major conference as an undrafted free agent, but it’s the other aspects of Trier’s game that are holding him back, notably his defense and passing ability.

Let’s recap what Sports Illustrated’s Jeremy Woo wrote about Trier, since he summarized it well.

Trier is a dynamic scorer, but his selfish style of play has earned him few admirers among NBA types. The ball sticks in his hands, and you question how he views himself and how willing he’ll be to adjust when he’s not the top perimeter option. He’s not a high-end athlete, which means a lot of contested threes and difficulty attacking the basket—there’s a high bar for guards who are professional scorers, so to speak. He’s not a playmaker or a great defender, and has little appeal beyond his shooting ability. Trier needs to score to be successful and certainly has talent, but needs to reinvent himself a bit to have a chance at sticking in the NBA.

Either way, Trier will get a chance to prove himself.

If he’s not drafted, he will likely sign somewhere pretty quickly and play in NBA Summer League.

Personally, I think Trier will end up going the Kobi Simmons route — sign as a two-way player and split time between the G League and NBA next season.

He’s just too good of a scorer to not get an opportunity somewhere.

llonzo Trier, Arizona — Guard, 6’5’’, 205 pounds

A guard from the state of Washington, Trier earned Pac-12 first team all-conference honors during his junior campaign at Arizona. Trier was also named as an Associated Press All-America honorable mention after averaging 18.1 points per game in his third year with the Wildcats.

Trier finished his career as the all-time second-leading Pac-12 tournament scorer. Trier is projected as a late second round pick, but he is on the bubble and could potentially slide out of the top 60.

In the 2017-2018 season, Trier ranked No. 1 in Offensive Box Plus/Minus and True Shooting Percentage (at 65.4%), Ayton came in third at 65%.

Allonzo Trier has a game similar to Damian Lillard of the Portland Trail Blazers. There is a lot of teams that could use a Damian Lillard type of player on their roster right now due to the way he can affect the game. With that being said, NBA owners should take a good long hard look at Allonzo Trier before passing on him. Any teams sleeping on Allonzo Trier will soon be awake as soon as he gets his chance in the NBA.

Depending on the mock, Trier is either a late second-round pick or not included at all. He had a strong junior season (and good enough college career) to earn consideration. The Arizona lead guard averaged 18.1 points, 3.2 assists, 3.0 rebounds and shot a tremendous 62 percent from 2-point range. Any time a guard is clipping the 60-percent point from 2 while taking a fair share of 3-pointers, it's a great sign. Trier, for what it's worth, shot 38 percent from 3-point range last season and averaged 5.6 trey attempts.
I like him as a sleeper particularly because of where he is (or isn't) projected. If he goes undrafted, his agent will have a long line of teams trying to land him right after the 60th pick is in. If he is picked, he'll line up as a more promising offensive player than at least 20 of the guys taken in the second round. And it's not just that he can score: I think he's a good decision-maker with his shots, and I think he's built to have the best range on his 3-pointer outside of any guard in this draft named Trae Young.
Deandre Ayton was Arizona's best and most important player last year, but Trier seems to been pushed too far on the backburner over the past two-plus months.

BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson

Return to New York Knicks