OT: 2018,Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,825

Re: OT: 2018,Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1061 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 6, 2018 2:32 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:I plan to wait a bit on Octopath - I just have too many other things to play right now. I haven't even played the second demo yet.

Yeah, I feel like I should, but I can also get it for $38 right now which isn't too shabby. I played a bit of demo #2 and it really started to sell me; just an absolutely gorgeous game that reminds me of some great old school RPGs. I'll probably break because I have no willpower when it comes to buying video games. :(

Me too. I want to play it eventually, so I should maybe just buy it now while I can get it for $48 on Amazon.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,417

Post#1062 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 6, 2018 4:29 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Anybody play State of Decay 2 yet? Been meaning to give it a go but I've yet to really here any reviews on it, positive or negative.

It's one of the only reasons I was thinking I should still keep my Xbone plugged in, then the reviews came in and I never picked it up. I'd be interested in hearing if other people are having a good time with it. Such a good concept for a game.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#1063 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Jul 6, 2018 5:10 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:I plan to wait a bit on Octopath - I just have too many other things to play right now. I haven't even played the second demo yet.

Yeah, I feel like I should, but I can also get it for $38 right now which isn't too shabby. I played a bit of demo #2 and it really started to sell me; just an absolutely gorgeous game that reminds me of some great old school RPGs. I'll probably break because I have no willpower when it comes to buying video games. :(

Me too. I want to play it eventually, so I should maybe just buy it now while I can get it for $48 on Amazon.

I love my Switch, but damn do Nintendo games hardly ever go on sale. I always feel like I need to use that Amazon perk or I’ll be spending on the full price later. Doesn’t help that the creative director said that Octopath is a spiritual successor to FFVI...
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1064 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 6, 2018 10:07 pm

Some folks were interested when it came out, so thought I'd mention that Kingdom Come: Deliverance is already 30% off on GOG.

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad sign.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#1065 » by StickeeFingaz » Sat Jul 7, 2018 3:07 pm

Started The Witcher 3 again. Hoping to grind this out during the summer. Man, the inventory management can feel a bit overwhelming.

Only made it to the Bloody Baron quest my first go around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#FreeChuckDiesel
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1066 » by Sauce Boss » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:44 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:

https://kotaku.com/octopath-traveler-is-nothing-like-final-fantasy-vi-1827391950

This stayed my hand. Sounds like it's good, but flawed. Maybe because it's technically a third-party game it'll go on sale at some point. That or I'll wait to hear that all the first half flaws get wrapped up nicely in the second half of the game in reviews on Thursday morning and hop back on the hype train.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1067 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:57 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:Yeah, I feel like I should, but I can also get it for $38 right now which isn't too shabby. I played a bit of demo #2 and it really started to sell me; just an absolutely gorgeous game that reminds me of some great old school RPGs. I'll probably break because I have no willpower when it comes to buying video games. :(

https://kotaku.com/octopath-traveler-is-nothing-like-final-fantasy-vi-1827391950

This stayed my hand. Sounds like it's good, but flawed. Maybe because it's technically a third-party game it'll go on sale at some point. That or I'll wait to hear that all the first half flaws get wrapped up nicely in the second half of the game in reviews on Thursday morning and hop back on the hype train.

Yup. I preordered yesterday, saw some more impressions today, and cancelled. I’m with you on this one.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1068 » by Sauce Boss » Sun Jul 8, 2018 11:42 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

Yup. I preordered yesterday, saw some more impressions today, and cancelled. I’m with you on this one.

Yeah, the fact that a lot of people have been commenting on how none of the eight paths seem to converge gave me a bad feeling about it. If the second half doesn't pull things together with the paths crossing in interesting ways, then it seems like wasted potential.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1069 » by Sauce Boss » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:19 pm

Glad I didn't pre-order Octopath Traveler, because Monster Hunter: World is launching on PC on August 9th! Thought for sure it'd be out in the October-November window, but they were able to bump the date up significantly. That'll probably carry me for the rest of the year.

https://www.pcgamer.com/monster-hunter-world-pc-release-date-set/#comment-jump
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1070 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:43 pm

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1071 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:51 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I'm really enjoying Pyre.

I didn't necessarily finish this yet, but I did get to the main quest's end, and I did it without losing. As it turns out, I missed out on an interesting gameplay mechanic. I'm going back and only now reading reviews of Pyre and I'm surprised at stuff I didn't get or missed:

Pyre crosses over from traditional multipath narrative game into truly brilliant with one major design element: You cannot lose the game. If you fail in a rite, your journey simply continues. If one of your opponents gains freedom in place of your own exiles, you simply have to accept that result and its impact on the plot, and keep going. And at times, the game tugs at your heartstrings in ways that might make you want to lose.

Is it worth it to gain freedom for one more of your exiles? Or do you want to hand the victory over to a kindly old man who’s been seeking a way out of the Downside his whole life? Do you want to free Jodariel, or would you rather gain favor with another flighty teammate by allowing her estranged sister to win? The game forces you into numerous rites where you’re struggling not just to determine a winning strategy for the match itself but to decide what the right choice is ethically.

I won’t spoil too much about Pyre’s story and where it goes, but I will say that the numerous branching paths pay off, with an ending that lets you view how each and every major character you met along the way ends up. While I don’t know when I’ll find the time to sink 10 to 15 hours into another playthrough, I absolutely want to — if only to try to get all my favorite characters into better positions by the end, or see what happens if the Nightwings never manage to win a match.

I didn't even think about whether or not to lose. But thankfully once the main quest is done with you're essentially tasked to re-play every match, with liberation on the line for you or your enemies each time.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,233

Post#1072 » by FrieAaron » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:59 pm

The first match of the Overwatch League Grand Finals is going to be on ESPN1 Friday the 27th at 7PM. Twitter at that time should be pretty, pretty, pretty good.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1073 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Lumines is so addictive. Does anyone else play? If you like music and/or puzzle games, I highly recommend picking up the remaster. It's on virtually every console/platform, so pick your choice.

Other than that, I've been playing Skyrim a lot. Have barely touched Ys 8 yet. It's not bad, I just don't have time for it yet.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1074 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:57 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Lumines is so addictive. Does anyone else play? If you like music and/or puzzle games, I highly recommend picking up the remaster. It's on virtually every console/platform, so pick your choice.

Other than that, I've been playing Skyrim a lot. Have barely touched Ys 8 yet. It's not bad, I just don't have time for it yet.

I just picked up Lumines. Really digging it so far, though I don't think I'm particularly good at it. The Switch has really made me realize how much I love puzzle games though: I own Puyo Puyo Tetris, Picross S, and Lumines and they are all fantastic in that format.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1075 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Lumines is so addictive. Does anyone else play? If you like music and/or puzzle games, I highly recommend picking up the remaster. It's on virtually every console/platform, so pick your choice.

I just picked up Lumines. Really digging it so far, though I don't think I'm particularly good at it. The Switch has really made me realize how much I love puzzle games though: I own Puyo Puyo Tetris, Picross S, and Lumines and they are all fantastic in that format.

It's not easy. I've been watching some YT videos to try and pick up some general strategy, which has helped a bit. I'm still not very good, though.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,982

Post#1076 » by jschligs » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Picked up Paladins: Founders Edition for the Switch last night and I have to say I'm impressed so far. I haven't played a ton, maybe 2 hours, but it's essentially a clone of Overwatch with a few tweaks and a ton more playable characters.

In my second game I went 16/1/18 (K/D/A) and had a blast. It's the perfect pick up and play a round game. Load times are almost non-existent, games start quickly, and the maps seem to be fun. For $30 its the perfect Switch game...granted it was free on the PC...
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#1077 » by Sauce Boss » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Octopath Traveler is getting decent reviews. That said, the one guy I really wanted to hear on the game, Jason Schreier at Kotaku, seemed to be the main dissenting voice.

https://kotaku.com/octopath-traveler-the-kotaku-review-1827537100

Some quotes:

Some of these stories are entertaining, others trite, but they’re always independent. They never intersect or share common ground. To buy that these eight adventurers would team up, putting aside their own motives to help each other out, requires a suspension of disbelief well beyond what most video games ask of the people who play them. Why would a hardened thief spend so much of his time hanging out with a goody-two-shoes healer? It’s never quite explained.

Octopath Traveler feels disparate and unsettling, like someone took out pieces from eight different Lego sets and stuck them all together. The game is not elegant enough to make up for that.

And:

The developers of Octopath Traveler clearly looked to role-playing games of the 1990s for inspiration. I wish they’d taken a closer look at SaGa Frontier, the game that appears to have inspired them most. Whereas that game also told a compilation of unrelated stories (seven instead of eight), it did a far better job, in large part because they all felt different. You’d play one at a time rather than zipping around, and they were diverse enough to avoid too much repetition. Lute’s open world quest to avenge his parents felt drastically different than Red’s linear superhero journey, even though you’d visit many of the same locations, because SaGa Frontier constantly switched up its structure. In Octopath Traveler, all eight stories are so repetitive that they blend together, forming one big bland stew.

I think I'm glad I passed, despite everyone else seeming to enjoy it. There's some talk about a second half to the game that puts everything together that is easily missable, but that seems odd. Monster Hunter: World it is, then.
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,273

Post#1078 » by dbrodz7 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Just downloaded Crash Bandicoot last night before I head to Nashville this afternoon for my bachelor party. Gotta say I'm looking forward to indulging in the nostalgia.
Misery loves company
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,340

Re: RE: Re: OT: 2018,Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1079 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:45 pm

dbrodz7 wrote:Just downloaded Crash Bandicoot last night before I head to Nashville this afternoon for my bachelor party. Gotta say I'm looking forward to indulging in the nostalgia.

I can't wait to do the same. I was really excited when I heard it was coming to the Switch.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1080 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:08 pm

Wrong thread lol

Return to Milwaukee Bucks