ImageImageImageImage

Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!!

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#21 » by nymets1 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:03 am

DJ as the starting PG last year I get. I would start DJ over Elfrid Payton and DJ is definitely better than Shelvin Mack. So ummm this year is different, We get this guy Briscoe he's definitely better than DJ. If our coaching staff wants to have DJ as the starter and play him more minutes than Briscoe and Grant and if anybody on here agrees with the coaching staff, I have to STRONGELY DISAGREE.

Briscoe IMO better be the starting PG unless we get Isiaah Thomas or some PG in trade( Kemba, Mccollum, Lillard, etc)
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,799

Post#22 » by IllMagic04 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:28 am

Let me guess tall long arms with no jump shot?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using RealGM mobile app
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#23 » by thelead » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:40 am

IllMagic04 wrote:Let me guess tall long arms with no jump shot?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using RealGM mobile app

npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#24 » by npiper17 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 7:26 am

Question: why do people think fans of the team a player is being traded from are the best source of info for an accurate representation of the type of player the acquiring team is getting?
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#25 » by Xatticus » Sun Jul 8, 2018 8:22 am

This does nothing to help our PG situation. We now have two replacement-level PGs on the roster instead of one. We have no assets at the position. The only positive I could see from acquiring Grant is that it gives us a warm body at the position if we are fortunate enough to figure out a way to extricate ourselves of the $14.5 million still owed to Augustin.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#26 » by drsd » Sun Jul 8, 2018 8:48 am

npiper17 wrote:Question: why do people think fans of the team a player is being traded from are the best source of info for an accurate representation of the type of player the acquiring team is getting?

Well NBA.com is reporting this. That's pretty reliable in my opinion.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,671

Post#27 » by ChosenSavior » Sun Jul 8, 2018 9:13 am

drsd wrote:
npiper17 wrote:Question: why do people think fans of the team a player is being traded from are the best source of info for an accurate representation of the type of player the acquiring team is getting?

Well NBA.com is reporting this. That's pretty reliable in my opinion.

That isn't what he is referring to.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#28 » by MoMM » Sun Jul 8, 2018 9:24 am

nymets1 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
nymets1 wrote:I tried google Jerian Grant Wingspan. I think he's listed as 6 foot 4 with a wingspan of 6 foot 7 1/2. He doesn't come close to 7 foot wingspan but maybe 6 foot 7 1/2 is good enough.

Starting PG: Briscoe
Backup PG: Jerian Grant
3rd string PG: DJ Augustin

Augustin your done here unless Briscoe/ Grant get hurt,get into foul trouble, ejected from the game or need rest but hopefully Augustin gets traded. We should try to trade DJ but he's making $7 million this year and next year at age 30.

DJ is the starter among that group man. Briscoe has work to do and Grant is likely trade bait with an expiring deal.

Not how I see it. Just because DJ makes more money than Briscoe and Grant combined doesn't make DJ the starter. Briscoe is better player than DJ. DJ and Grant are close but I rather play Grant because he's younger than DJ and Grant is related to Horace Grant. We could still make a trade for PG and/ or sign Isiaah Thomas but if Briscoe, Grant and DJ are our PG'S, Briscoe is the best player of the 3.

Briscoe played only 1 summer league game and now he is better than DJ? Come on, let's wait a little bit before saying it, right? He didn't even faced NBA caliber players in that game.
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Re: RE: Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#29 » by zuppafly » Sun Jul 8, 2018 9:29 am

Remember Chris Duhon?
Same reaction from Magic fans when we signed him: he's improving, he has tools, he can provide us something of value. Some people even saw him starting. Knicks fan celebrated getting rid of him.

Grant is exactly the same. He is horrible, every Bulls fan is happy right now.
You know why? Because they were the ones watching him play.

Sent from my Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus Wi-Fi using RealGM mobile app
npiper17
General Manager

Post#30 » by npiper17 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:07 am

zuppafly wrote:
Remember Chris Duhon?
Same reaction from Magic fans when we signed him: he's improving, he has tools, he can provide us something of value. Some people even saw him starting. Knicks fan celebrated getting rid of him.

I wondered who’d be the first to give this sort of response. The reality is that fans (not all of them but I’d argue a majority) have a skewed view of their own players either too much towards a positive view or too much towards a negative view. I’d say fans are one source of info re an acquired player but certainly not a reliable one.
zuppafly
Assistant Coach

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#31 » by zuppafly » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:08 am

npiper17 wrote:
zuppafly wrote:
Remember Chris Duhon?

I wondered who’d be the first to give this sort of response. The reality is that fans (not all of them but I’d argue a majority) have a skewed view of their own players either too much towards a positive view or too much towards a negative view. I’d say fans are one source of info re an acquired player but certainly not a reliable one.
So, you're saying Grant is not horrible?
npiper17
General Manager

Post#32 » by npiper17 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:09 am

Xatticus wrote:This does nothing to help our PG situation. We now have two replacement-level PGs on the roster instead of one. We have no assets at the position. The only positive I could see from acquiring Grant is that it gives us a warm body at the position if we are fortunate enough to figure out a way to extricate ourselves of the $14.5 million still owed to Augustin.

To be fair to Augustin, he played about as well as could be expected after the Payton trade.

Acquiring Grant doesn’t solve the pg position long term but then signing IT wouldn’t have done that either.

Pretty much no move available this summer would solve the pg position long term but I’d already accepted that when Bamba was the draft pick.
npiper17
General Manager

Post#33 » by npiper17 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:12 am

zuppafly wrote:
npiper17 wrote:
zuppafly wrote:Remember Chris Duhon?

No, I’m saying that those who rush off to the trading team’s forum and come back 10 mins later declaring x, y or z about a player should do more research. Fans aren’t always the best source of info.

For example, if the Magic traded Vuc, there’s a number of posters on here who would basically say to the acquiring team’s fans that’s he’s terrible. He isn’t and has value in certain areas, on certain teams in certain roles but you’re not going to hear that from all fans.
zuppafly
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by zuppafly » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:15 am

npiper17 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:This does nothing to help our PG situation. We now have two replacement-level PGs on the roster instead of one. We have no assets at the position. The only positive I could see from acquiring Grant is that it gives us a warm body at the position if we are fortunate enough to figure out a way to extricate ourselves of the $14.5 million still owed to Augustin.

To be fair to Augustin, he played about as well as could be expected after the Payton trade.

Acquiring Grant doesn’t solve the pg position long term but then signing IT wouldn’t have done that either.

Pretty much no move available this summer would solve the pg position long term but I’d already accepted that when Bamba was the draft pick.
That I agree with. There was no long term solution out there for us and we are designed to the lottery either way. IT wouldn't make our future bright but we would also not hurt (in the new format) enough.
If his health was a factor in this, then the FO did good not to pick him up.
But either way, there is not a single Bulls fan sad about losing their tank commander Grant . There is not a single Bulls fan saying ,"but he still had potential". Going from "we need someone good enough to be a starter" to "Trade for Grant and we have a 3 PG rotation to go for" is a world of difference.
zuppafly
Assistant Coach

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#35 » by zuppafly » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:20 am

npiper17 wrote:
zuppafly wrote:
npiper17 wrote:

No, I’m saying that those who rush off to the trading team’s forum and come back 10 mins later declaring x, y or z about a player should do more research. Fans aren’t always the best source of info.

For example, if the Magic traded Vuc, there’s a number of posters on here who would basically say to the acquiring team’s fans that’s he’s terrible. He isn’t and has value in certain areas, on certain teams in certain roles but you’re not going to hear that from all fans.
It's one thing to assume what a few fans talk about a player, it's another thing to see that there's isn't a single fan saying he'll be sorry for losing him.

Grant is no middle-terms player. You don't have only a few fans being extreme about his play.
If we were to trade Fournier we'd also have people around here going to his new team forums saying he's horrible. Others would say he was good for us. Some would say he was our best guy. That's what a fanbase is...
This is different. I only recall watching a few games of him and I recall thinking the guy was bad, but that's admittedly a small sample.
The fact that Bulls fans, every single one I've read so far, are laughing and celebrating that didn't have to pay to get rid of him is the red flag.
npiper17
General Manager

Post#36 » by npiper17 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:21 am

zuppafly wrote:
npiper17 wrote:

That I agree with. There was no long term solution out there for us and we are designed to the lottery either way. IT wouldn't make our future bright but we would also not hurt (in the new format) enough.
If his health was a factor in this, then the FO did good not to pick him up.
But either way, there is not a single Bulls fan sad about losing their tank commander Grant . There is not a single Bulls fan saying ,"but he still had potential". Going from "we need someone good enough to be a starter" to "Trade for Grant and we have a 3 PG rotation to go for" is a world of difference.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Grant will be good but Clifford has a history of getting the most out of point guards and Bruce Kreutzer (new assistant coach) has a history of improving players’ shooting so I guess you could argue Grant has as good a shot of improving with the Magic as he would with any other team. If it doesn’t work out then you’ve spent two second rounders to save a bit of cap on the Biz / Mozgov contracts when you’ve already got multiple second rounders.
npiper17
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#37 » by npiper17 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:22 am

zuppafly wrote:
npiper17 wrote:
zuppafly wrote:So, you're saying Grant is not horrible?

It's one thing to assume what a few fans talk about a player, it's another thing to see that there's isn't a single fan saying he'll be sorry for losing him.

Grant is no middle-terms player. You don't have only a few fans being extreme about his play.
If we were to trade Fournier we'd also have people around here going to his new team forums saying he's horrible. Others would say he was good for us. Some would say he was our best guy. That's what a fanbase is...
This is different. I only recall watching a few games of him and I contenders thinking the guy was bad, but that's admittedly a small sample.
The fact that Bulls fans, every single one I've read so far, are laughing and celebrating that didn't have to pay to get rid of him is the red flag.

I guess we’ll see but I’m not taking Bulls fans’ word as gospel. See my other post for why I think Grant has a chance of improving with the Magic.
JC11
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#38 » by JC11 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:37 am

zuppafly wrote:
npiper17 wrote:
zuppafly wrote:Remember Chris Duhon?

if he or she is saying that, what's so wrong with that? I feel like your comment here doesn't add a lot to the conversation, especially since it's entrenched in negativity for what can only be viewed as the sake of it?

generally - WE FINALLY HAVE A TRADE PEOPLE! Get excited! even if it's a nothing trade, at least it's movement.
Spoiler:
It's all just a game.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,177

Post#39 » by cedric76 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:43 am

Need videos here
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 701

Post#40 » by Darth Magic » Sun Jul 8, 2018 11:27 am

cedric76 wrote:Need videos here

I've seen a few clips. Spare yourself the disappointment :roll:
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman

Return to Orlando Magic