ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,752

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#3921 » by Rich Rane » Sat Jul 7, 2018 7:41 pm

blueNorange wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
blueNorange wrote:it's very early but

mets top pick jarred kelenic is hitting .463 with 5 xbh and 1.192 ops
mets top ifa signing ronny mauricio is hitting .373 with 8 xbh and .902 ops

ronny is also 6'4" and age 17, so he's not done growing. these numbers mean nothing, they're years away(hopefully not tho) but you always want the top players a team invests to put up numbers.

In low A ball? :lol:

yes, for a 17 and 18 year old?

i know you're used to back in the old days where ww2/vietnam was players minor league seasoning.

GCL Mets is a Mets' Rookie League team. Columbia Fireflies are the Mets' low A team.
KennySkyWalker
Senior
And1: 200

Post#3922 » by KennySkyWalker » Sat Jul 7, 2018 7:59 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:Machado isn't happening. And I don't believe in sacrificing so much for one player anyway. It usually spells disaster. Today is Cespedes shinguard day at Citifield. How did that work out?

See? This right here is the difference between the Yankees, who act like NY team should, and the lowly Mets, who are now a joke in NY. The Yankees don't let a situation like what's happening with Cespedes stop then from their mission. They eat their mistakes. The Mets vomit them all over themselves.

If we're not going to fortify the team this offseason with a major star at a position of need, then fck it. What's the point? Trade deGrom and one of the others, because we have no offensive output from our IF positions, and tank. Trade off Bruce, maybe Rosario, Cabrera, Frazier, Dominic Smith, et al.

The Mets spend money, they have just spent it unwisely. No different than the Knicks. This is why I have always harped on building a solid foundation from within FIRST, before going out and filling in the missing pieces through free agency. Players who you draft or sign on the international market come up through your organization and get to play together and build chemistry. Like Wilmer Flores, who despite being on the Mets, was in tears when he thought he was being traded. Imagine that, an actual Mets player who wants to be here.

We can sign Machado, but it still doesn't address the horrific bullpen or players making big money who can't stay on the field. Also, keep in mind Mesoraco is a free agent after the season. He's making 13 million this season. If he is healthy and has a strong rest of the season, there will be many teams after him which is going to drive up his price. If we signed Machado and kept deGrom, he is also in line for a big raise.

Cespedes, Bruce, Frazier, Vargas, Swarzak, and Lagares. We would have to pay teams a lot of money to take them from us. This is not the Wilpon way. If it were up to me I would pay to get rid of them and open up roster spots for something different. Start fresh with a new GM. Cespedes and Bruce are the tricky ones since they are signed through 2020. What team would take Cespedes with his injury history and contract? Bruce probably can be traded if we kick in a nice chunk of money to a team. Too bad he isn't healthy now because the Yankees might have been interested since they need a first baseman. Bruce could fill 3 spots in the American League. OF, 1B and DH. He is probably the easiest to trade if we kick in money.

Getting back to Machado, there is no way we sign him because this team has a lot of question marks right now. If Cespedes makes 29 million a season, what is Machado worth? At least 30 million per season, right? Assuming our payroll jumps up to 180 million next season after signing Machado, we would now have 2 players under contract for the next 2 seasons taking up one-third of the payroll. One of which is practically guaranteed to miss lots of time due to injuries. Is Cespedes even going to be the same player when he comes back after his leg and hip issues? This is where he gets most of his power from. As an athlete, once your legs go that's pretty much it.

I would start fresh with a new gm and manager. Callaway is beyond clueless. Probably the worst manager the Mets have ever had in terms of in-game decision making.

Jeez I didn't even mention Conforto. What do we do next season if we still have Bruce, Cespedes, Conforto, and Nimmo? Someone has to go unless we stick Bruce at first. Then what about Dom Smith and Alonso? So many question marks at the moment...

This is the time when ownership needs to have a long-term strategy. Unfortunately, we have Jeff Wilpon who is reactionary and not pro-active when it comes to spotting down the road problems. Meanwhile, in the Bronx, you have Cashman and his baseball people up all night planning for today and tomorrow. Did Sandy have the strength to do that? Uh no and Jeff Wilpon is certainly not smart enough to think beyond what's directly in front of him.

At least we have a top 5 pick to look forward to next June. So it isn't all bad. :wink:
KennySkyWalker
Senior
And1: 200

Post#3923 » by KennySkyWalker » Sat Jul 7, 2018 8:10 pm

blueNorange wrote:it's very early but

mets top pick jarred kelenic is hitting .463 with 5 xbh and 1.192 ops
mets top ifa signing ronny mauricio is hitting .373 with 8 xbh and .902 ops

ronny is also 6'4" and age 17, so he's not done growing. these numbers mean nothing, they're years away(hopefully not tho) but you always want the top players a team invests to put up numbers.

That Mauricio kid just looks like he's going to be a great one. He has that presence about him. Both he and Kelenic will be on the very fast track to the majors. You could see both in the majors at some point in 2020. Look at the Nationals with Juan Soto and how he has become a star at 19 years old. He was signed out of the DR on July 2, 2015.

Draft well and make good international signings. That should have always been the main focus of the organization.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#3924 » by reub » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:39 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:Machado isn't happening. And I don't believe in sacrificing so much for one player anyway. It usually spells disaster. Today is Cespedes shinguard day at Citifield. How did that work out?

See? This right here is the difference between the Yankees, who act like NY team should, and the lowly Mets, who are now a joke in NY. The Yankees don't let a situation like what's happening with Cespedes stop then from their mission. They eat their mistakes. The Mets vomit them all over themselves.

If we're not going to fortify the team this offseason with a major star at a position of need, then fck it. What's the point? Trade deGrom and one of the others, because we have no offensive output from our IF positions, and tank. Trade off Bruce, maybe Rosario, Cabrera, Frazier, Dominic Smith, et al.

You mad?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,451

Post#3925 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:02 am

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

You mad?

Only at that moment. :x

:lol:
Free Palestine
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#3926 » by mugzi » Sun Jul 8, 2018 8:15 am

KennySkyWalker wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

The Mets spend money, they have just spent it unwisely. No different than the Knicks. This is why I have always harped on building a solid foundation from within FIRST, before going out and filling in the missing pieces through free agency. Players who you draft or sign on the international market come up through your organization and get to play together and build chemistry. Like Wilmer Flores, who despite being on the Mets, was in tears when he thought he was being traded. Imagine that, an actual Mets player who wants to be here.

We can sign Machado, but it still doesn't address the horrific bullpen or players making big money who can't stay on the field. Also, keep in mind Mesoraco is a free agent after the season. He's making 13 million this season. If he is healthy and has a strong rest of the season, there will be many teams after him which is going to drive up his price. If we signed Machado and kept deGrom, he is also in line for a big raise.

Cespedes, Bruce, Frazier, Vargas, Swarzak, and Lagares. We would have to pay teams a lot of money to take them from us. This is not the Wilpon way. If it were up to me I would pay to get rid of them and open up roster spots for something different. Start fresh with a new GM. Cespedes and Bruce are the tricky ones since they are signed through 2020. What team would take Cespedes with his injury history and contract? Bruce probably can be traded if we kick in a nice chunk of money to a team. Too bad he isn't healthy now because the Yankees might have been interested since they need a first baseman. Bruce could fill 3 spots in the American League. OF, 1B and DH. He is probably the easiest to trade if we kick in money.

Getting back to Machado, there is no way we sign him because this team has a lot of question marks right now. If Cespedes makes 29 million a season, what is Machado worth? At least 30 million per season, right? Assuming our payroll jumps up to 180 million next season after signing Machado, we would now have 2 players under contract for the next 2 seasons taking up one-third of the payroll. One of which is practically guaranteed to miss lots of time due to injuries. Is Cespedes even going to be the same player when he comes back after his leg and hip issues? This is where he gets most of his power from. As an athlete, once your legs go that's pretty much it.

I would start fresh with a new gm and manager. Callaway is beyond clueless. Probably the worst manager the Mets have ever had in terms of in-game decision making.

Jeez I didn't even mention Conforto. What do we do next season if we still have Bruce, Cespedes, Conforto, and Nimmo? Someone has to go unless we stick Bruce at first. Then what about Dom Smith and Alonso? So many question marks at the moment...

This is the time when ownership needs to have a long-term strategy. Unfortunately, we have Jeff Wilpon who is reactionary and not pro-active when it comes to spotting down the road problems. Meanwhile, in the Bronx, you have Cashman and his baseball people up all night planning for today and tomorrow. Did Sandy have the strength to do that? Uh no and Jeff Wilpon is certainly not smart enough to think beyond what's directly in front of him.

At least we have a top 5 pick to look forward to next June. So it isn't all bad. :wink:

Why so we can F that up also?
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#3927 » by reub » Sun Jul 8, 2018 5:21 pm

What is the team's fascination with Flexen? Don't we have any other pitchers to bring up?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3928 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 8, 2018 7:28 pm

mugzi wrote:
KennySkyWalker wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Why so we can F that up also?

I thought we had already. :lol:
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3929 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 8, 2018 11:00 pm

9-0? Flexen blows and so does Beck. They both can go.

Free Palestine
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,696

Post#3930 » by ccvle » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:12 am

Edit: wrong post
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#3931 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:17 am

ccvle wrote:1) what is your obsession with carl pavano ? His name gets brought up every Cashman is mentioned

2) I dont see what was the big deal with carl pavano. I mean we get it. Pavano ducked. But even the best run franchises have their shares of bad signing. How much dead monies are the Dodgers and Sox paying? Who is still paying for adrian Gonzalez, carl Crawford, David price, Haney ramirez?

3)I do remember stories that the yankees were thinking about bringing back pavano. I however dont think it was related to Tanaka. Carl pavano last played in the major in 2012. He officially retired in Feb 2014. Tanaka didn't join the major until 2014.l

We knew it all along, you always wanted to be a Met fan.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,696

Post#3932 » by ccvle » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:18 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
ccvle wrote:1) what is your obsession with carl pavano ? His name gets brought up every Cashman is mentioned

2) I dont see what was the big deal with carl pavano. I mean we get it. Pavano ducked. But even the best run franchises have their shares of bad signing. How much dead monies are the Dodgers and Sox paying? Who is still paying for adrian Gonzalez, carl Crawford, David price, Haney ramirez?

3)I do remember stories that the yankees were thinking about bringing back pavano. I however dont think it was related to Tanaka. Carl pavano last played in the major in 2012. He officially retired in Feb 2014. Tanaka didn't join the major until 2014.l

Sorry. Posted at the wrong thread.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3933 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:18 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:9-0? Flexen blows and so does Beck. They both can go.

We've reached this point of the season. If offered free tickets in the middle of the week, would you even take them? Is getting out of work, getting to the stadium and home from the stadium even worth it anymore? It's a sad sad feeling.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3934 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:23 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:9-0? Flexen blows and so does Beck. They both can go.

We've reached this point of the season. If offered free tickets in the middle of the week, would you even take them? Is getting out of work, getting to the stadium and home from the stadium even worth it anymore? It's a sad sad feeling.

No, I wouldn't. I've been invited and declined. It's not worth the hassle of driving and hour or longer to get there, then spending money on parking, then sitting there for another 3 hours at the park to watch us play shytty baseball. Fck it ... or should I say "fck the Wilpons" instead.

My hope is that I like some of the things coming out of John Ricco's mouth. But, for now, they're just words.
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3935 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Jul 9, 2018 1:40 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:No, I wouldn't. I've been invited and declined. It's not worth the hassle of driving and hour or longer to get there, then spending money on parking, then sitting there for another 3 hours at the park to watch us play shytty baseball. Fck it ... or should I say "fck the Wilpons" instead.

My hope is that I like some of the things coming out of John Ricco's mouth. But, for now, they're just words.

It's sad, but unless it was deGrom or Noah, I'd probably pass as well. I'm not going to take a train and driving there in rush hour just isn't worth it. I haven't even gotten to my one game a year requirement yet, so I'll be sure to get there at some time this year.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#3936 » by blueNorange » Mon Jul 9, 2018 6:07 pm

kelenic promoted to kingsport.

makes sense, he was only hitting .500 in gcl.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#3937 » by reub » Mon Jul 9, 2018 11:01 pm

blueNorange wrote:kelenic promoted to kingsport.

Bring him up!
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#3938 » by blueNorange » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 am

reub wrote:

Bring him up!

why?
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#3939 » by mugzi » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:52 am

Manhattan Project wrote:

Make him own his NO homo Mets dreams.
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#3940 » by reub » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:32 am

blueNorange wrote:
reub wrote:

Bring him up!

why?

Because I thought that would be what you wanted. Yutes!

Return to New York Knicks