ImageImageImageImageImage

2018/2019 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who's Hotter?

Cap
10%
Mags
10%
KoC
7%
DK
2%
KT/FOE <--His new name sucks!
36%
Thugger
7%
GONYK
7%
Remi
10%
Moocow
10%
NLR
2%

Total votes: 42

GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Re: 2018/2019 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.) 

Post#341 » by GEOLINK » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:29 pm

I hope Melo goes to the Lakers.

I've been wanting to see Melo/LeBron play forever. But Melo is a corpse of his former self.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,143

Post#342 » by Fat Kat » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
cooch2584
Sixth Man
And1: 86

Post#343 » by cooch2584 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 5:23 pm

30andoverclub wrote:
boogeydown wrote:looking ahead here but are the Knicks going to have enough cap space to sign 2 max guys in 2019? or just 1 (which Im guessing is Kyrie Irving right now)? Would be sweet to get another guy like Kawhi or Klay Thompson too.

Seems very unlikely. You'd need to move Hardaway for an expiring this year. Which would mean he's vastly overperforming his contact. And, if he's overperforming, why would you trade him?

That being said, Donnie Walsh did exactly that 10 years ago. The Knicks started the season off strong on the backs of Jamal Crawford and Zach Randolph, and Walsh traded them both despite the fact that it killed the season. A major difference, though, is that Crawford and Randolph were Isiah's guys, and Hardaway is Mills' guy.

On a semi-related topic, I know that everyone wants a top 3-5 pick in 2019, and so do I, but I think that you could formulate a pretty nice plan if the Knicks ending up overperforming like the Lakers did last year. Win 35 games by playing the young guys, and it shows that they're really nice pieces. Someone like Kyrie might think he can come in and be the piece that puts the Knicks over the edge.

Also, if the 2019 pick is late lottery, loathe as I am to suggest this, but maybe that makes it easier for the Knicks to trade it if they think the cap implications would make advantageous. Now, I'm no cap expert, but if the Knicks were to trade for either Kemba or Butler, then their 2019 cap hits should be low enough that you could waive and stretch Noah, sign a max free agent, and then sign Porzingis and Kemba or Butler afterwards to maximize your cap space.

If it were up to me, though, I'd take it just a bit more slowly. Trade Lee for an expiring this summer, and you already have a max slot without doing anything else. Sign a max free agent in 2019, wait for Noah's contract to expire and hope that Hardaway plays well enough that he opts out after 2020 as well (if he doesn't, use an asset to trade him, I guess). If both Noah and Hardaway expire after 2020, the Knicks should have room to sign another max free agent then. I could be wrong, but I think that's right.

I have absolutely no faith that Hardaway will improve from here on.
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#344 » by frothbrain » Sun Jul 8, 2018 5:30 pm

Kyrie and Jimmy - BK, LAC, or DAL
Durant - GSW or LAL
Klay - GSW
Cousins - Any team dumb enough to pay him
Kawhi - LAL, PHI, or SAS
Randle,Middleton,Kemba (1 of the leftovers)-NYK.

Knix getting shut out like it's 2010.
Could've had Kyrie and Jimmy but Phil wanted to troll and Steve wanted Timmy.
cooch2584
Sixth Man
And1: 86

Post#345 » by cooch2584 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 5:37 pm

frothbrain wrote:Kyrie and Jimmy - BK, LAC, or DAL
Durant - GSW or LAL
Klay - GSW
Cousins - Any team dumb enough to pay him
Kawhi - LAL, PHI, or SAS
Randle,Middleton,Kemba (1 of the leftovers)-NYK.

Knix getting shut out like it's 2010.
Could've had Kyrie and Jimmy but Phil wanted to troll and Steve wanted Timmy.

I would give upTimmy a youngster and draft pick just to get rid of Timmy. Timmy doesnt have the heart to play like his dad did. bad comparsion but it is what it is. See if we can get Dame for this alto I don't know why theyed do this
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,175

Post#346 » by BBALLER4FR » Sun Jul 8, 2018 8:01 pm

Wonder if Minn can be persuaded into a Hardaway Jr/Ntilikina for Butler deal.

Minn gets shooting (THJr) at the starting 2 and defense at the backup PG when DRose comes off the bench. Frank is the perfect backup to compliment Rose.

The Knicks can then recruit Kyrie to join Jimmy. We can also stretch Noah (so he can join Minny on the cheap) and wait for Kanter's deal to come off next season. To basically clear the majority of 3 albatrosses in 1 season would be amazing!!!

Next season
PG: Kyrie/Burke
SG: Butler/Dotson/Baker
SF: Knox/Trill Will
PF: KP/Hezonja/2019 pick
C: Robinson/Kornet
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#347 » by GEOLINK » Sun Jul 8, 2018 9:28 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,816

Post#348 » by BigShot Bojan » Sun Jul 8, 2018 9:28 pm

THJ has positive value ...does everyone have such short term memory, he started very slow and than was a STUD and than got injured
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,816

Post#349 » by BigShot Bojan » Sun Jul 8, 2018 9:37 pm

I'd love the Knicks to buy low on Skal Labissiere...keep the Euro movement
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#350 » by Jose7 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 11:29 pm

still have that bi annual...but no open roster spots..

hoping 2 players get moved (lee, lance, noah) and we can sign a young under the radar player on a covington like deal philly was known for a few years ago.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
lloydj
Rookie
And1: 97

Post#351 » by lloydj » Mon Jul 9, 2018 5:13 am

PG Targets:
Damon, CJ, Kyrie, Kemba and/or TJ McConnell

Next Power Forward: ? (KP is effectively a Center)
8-)
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,954

Post#352 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Jul 9, 2018 9:29 am

Anyone else scared of Butler? We already have one player that Thibs ruined (Noah).
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#353 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 10:10 am

Grizzlies get:
Tim Hardaway Jr, Joakim Noah and Ron Baker.

Sacto gets:
Courtney Lee, Aaron Harrison (or is is Andrew? The point guard), Chandler Parsons and two future seconds. One from us and one from Memphis

New York gets: Jamychal Green, Ben Mclemore, Iman Shumpert, Kosta Koufas and a future second from Memphis.

Why for Memphis? They have no draft pick and they want to compete now. They have dead money on the wings in Parsons and a subpar Mclemore. Tim is value here after losing Evans in free agency. They still want to make good with Gasol and Conley. Tim is a respected young wing that may actually help them. Noah runs the same as Parsons but is a lot cheaper yearly. Baker is a solid back up guard that fits their traditional approach. They have no need for Green with JJJ/Davis/Rabb/Martin all signed and improving.

Why for Sacto? They get Courtney Lee as a what you see is what you get 3D vet that won’t get in the way of the development of their young wing players and may actually be a positive in a young locker room and on the court. They also get a solid young combo guard that slots in perfectly with Buddy and Fox. They get a couple potentially high seconds for taking on Parsons who next year becomes a huge expiring. As does Lee. For a team that has problems muting free agents these scorings can come in handy. They take on salary for draft picks and a young player for their expiring roster space junk.

Why for us? Gives the rebuild credibility. Moves Timmy’s contract that runs a year too long, Lee who doesn’t fit and Noah who has no place here. The cost is Tim and Lee’s actual production, a second round pick or two and whatever youth (Harrison) we can send to the Kings via the Grizz for helping to move the worst deal in all of this in Parsons for actual production. Would they rather keep Parsons who’s a huge negative for the next two years or Timmy who’s young enough to be a plus for them for the next three years? Noah if healthy gets rotation minutes on this team. Can they find a cheaper alternative at center? Maybe but not while simultaneously moving their dead weight. Lee to Sacto doesn’t alienate Hield or Fox like maybe that offer sheet to Lavine would’ve. He’s a pros pro that’s gonna compete and maybe beat out a young player for minutes to start but eventually plateau in worth if the team goes in the crapper. He’d push Buddy in a good way. And maybe if Bags somehow can carry them, a guy like Lee becomes that valuable 3D guy every paint big needs to keep defenses from keying in. They bite the bullet on Parsons for two seconds (they have a barren pick stash) and a 23 year old 6’6” Kentucky combo guard. While freeing up roster spots for their young guys. Green is a guy that knows Fiz and fits a need in this team. Mclemore has talent. Maybe we ca squeeze something out of him. If not he and Green both expire. Big game hunting this summer begins in earnest.
Bklyn&company
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,051

Post#354 » by Bklyn&company » Mon Jul 9, 2018 11:44 am

Jose7 wrote:still have that bi annual...but no open roster spots..

hoping 2 players get moved (lee, lance, noah) and we can sign a young under the radar player on a covington like deal philly was known for a few years ago.

Yup you are right.. hoping the same..

Bye bye 25yr old Ron Faker.... plenty others available that are much younger with more potential... mini team option deals
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#355 » by digitaldropoff » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:15 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:Wonder if Minn can be persuaded into a Hardaway Jr/Ntilikina for Butler deal.

Minn gets shooting (THJr) at the starting 2 and defense at the backup PG when DRose comes off the bench. Frank is the perfect backup to compliment Rose.

The Knicks can then recruit Kyrie to join Jimmy. We can also stretch Noah (so he can join Minny on the cheap) and wait for Kanter's deal to come off next season. To basically clear the majority of 3 albatrosses in 1 season would be amazing!!!

Next season
PG: Kyrie/Burke
SG: Butler/Dotson/Baker
SF: Knox/Trill Will
PF: KP/Hezonja/2019 pick
C: Robinson/Kornet

Thibs went all in on Jimmy and is going to do everything to keep him in Minnesota, that being said, lots of teams can trump your proposed offer....by a lot. Boston alone, not to mention is he actually has a preference. Thibs and Jimmy are tight, if they do have that talk, Thibs is landing more than a knockoff Hardaway and Frenchie. Great deal for the Knicks, but Thibs might chuckle before hanging up.
SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,077

Post#356 » by SARGO127 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:18 pm

Why is Lee still a knick
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#357 » by digitaldropoff » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:19 pm

cooch2584 wrote:
digitaldropoff wrote:
cooch2584 wrote:

don't see it that way. mega wing span and defense can be taught

Yeah...because the back three bigs are so agile on the perimeter against more athletic players, not mention, super mario is getting torched by anyone 6'6 and under.

Again Ill say you cant teach wing span but you can teach defense,agility. If you have guards that stop the initial line of offense(pg,sg) then for the next 15 secs the big men can adjust and protect the middle and rebound. It all starts with defense by our guards. Must make the opposing guards eat up shot clock just bringing the ball up ex at least 10 secs. SuperMario was used wrong and he wants a new lease on his basketball life. Defense is gonna be key with long armed YOUNG guards pressing at will. I have a feeling we are gonna see a whole different type of Knicks basketball and its gonna be fun watching it.

I just think you're vastly underestimating the athletes that those bigs would have to face nightly as well as underestimating the talent and gas tanks these guys had. KP alone was wiped out from an endurance prospective like 30 games in, but you want him chasing three's? Mario, I'm sorry....he doesn't have the juice to stay with guards......wingspan or not.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#358 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:27 pm

SARGO127 wrote:Why is Lee still a knick

People seem to think that he's a easy trade but i don't think he gets moved until around the trade deadline when the playoff teams are looking to add a veteran player like him. Teams are also trying to save as much money as possible right now to make sure they can get involved in next offseasons free agency that's gonna be a strong one with star players and the tier 2 and 3 type players.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#359 » by KnickFan33 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 6:10 pm

Thoughts on Okafor? Won't hurt the tank. Kind of interested in what might happen should Knox learn a few post moves from him.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,900

Post#360 » by GONYK » Mon Jul 9, 2018 6:37 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:Thoughts on Okafor? Won't hurt the tank. Kind of interested in what might happen should Knox learn a few post moves from him.

We have way too many bigs as it is, and Okafor would probably be the most useless.

Return to New York Knicks