ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Sign Allonzo Trier to 2-Way Contract

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: Knicks Sign Allonzo Trier to 2-Way Contract 

Post#141 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jul 9, 2018 9:05 am

Lot of guys who were undrafted are desperate and so, guys like Trier are going to shoot first.
Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Post#142 » by Cookies4Life » Mon Jul 9, 2018 9:50 am

I don't see any reason to cut this kid; we have him on a low salary as a two way contract. I'd like to see him spend a good deal of time down in the G-league and work on his PG skills.

He's obviously a scorer first and foremost, but he does have the dribbling skills, passing ability and court vision (when he decides to actually utilize it,) to be an effective guard off the bench for this team down the road.

The thing I'm probably most disappointed with him during SL outside of his tunnel vision/lack of getting others involved is the fact he's not been scoring at an efficient clip just yet. I think some of it is jitters and some of it is probably just acclimating to the speed of the game.

He's 22, he's a proven efficient scorer in college and he does have the skills IMO to eventually become a combo guard in this league. This team has put a heavy emphasis on bringing in coaches known for development, let's see what they can do with this kid. He's really not as bad as some people are making him out to be and for the money he costs, I'd like to see what his game can evolve into with a team of coaches helping him to develop.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#143 » by earthmansurfer » Mon Jul 9, 2018 9:55 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Lot of guys who were undrafted are desperate and so, guys like Trier are going to shoot first.

16 shots and ZERO assists? I just can't imagine that. Everyone knows he can score and I also can't imagine that the staff didn't ask him to work on passing some. I mean, after all Coach is about positionless ball.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#144 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Jul 9, 2018 10:13 am

Cookies4Life wrote:I don't see any reason to cut this kid; we have him on a low salary as a two way contract. I'd like to see him spend a good deal of time down in the G-league and work on his PG skills.

He's obviously a scorer first and foremost, but he does have the dribbling skills, passing ability and court vision (when he decides to actually utilize it,) to be an effective guard off the bench for this team down the road.

The thing I'm probably most disappointed with him during SL outside of his tunnel vision/lack of getting others involved is the fact he's not been scoring at an efficient clip just yet. I think some of it is jitters and some of it is probably just acclimating to the speed of the game.

He's 22, he's a proven efficient scorer in college and he does have the skills IMO to eventually become a combo guard in this league. This team has put a heavy emphasis on bringing in coaches known for development, let's see what they can do with this kid. He's really not as bad as some people are making him out to be and for the money he costs, I'd like to see what his game can evolve into with a team of coaches helping him to develop.

I don't obsess so much on performance in these meaningless games. I do want to see what a kid brings to the table. Trier definitely has strong chucker tendencies but he also has undeniable talent. He can create for himself. His handle is decent, he's crafty, can finish, can draw fouls. Hey he can even create for others on the rare occasion he feels like it lol. Anyway I do think this kid is talented and is someone who is worth giving a shot. Let him work on some things in G-league. To be truthful I see way more raw talent in him than Dotson.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Post#145 » by Cookies4Life » Mon Jul 9, 2018 10:21 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:
Cookies4Life wrote:I don't see any reason to cut this kid; we have him on a low salary as a two way contract. I'd like to see him spend a good deal of time down in the G-league and work on his PG skills.

I don't obsess so much on performance in these meaningless games. I do want to see what a kid brings to the table. Trier definitely has strong chucker tendencies but he also has undeniable talent. He can create for himself. His handle is decent, he's crafty, can finish, can draw fouls. Hey he can even create for others on the rare occasion he feels like it lol. Anyway I do think this kid is talented and is someone who is worth giving a shot. Let him work on some things in G-league. To be truthful I see way more raw talent in him than Dotson.

I've been disappointed with Dotson since last season TBH. He has a good muscular frame, but he doesn't really utilize it and play a physical brand of ball. For a supposed potential 3 and d guy, he's not a very good 3 point shooter at all. At least Allonzo has more facets to his game offensively; all Dotson does is wait in a corner for the ball to swing to him.

I'm not trying to overhype Trier, but the kid can get into the lane whenever he wants. He has a very polished hesitation move that almost always catches the defense off guard, he just needs to learn on making more sound decisions with the ball.

If he was our first round pick already signed in for 4+ million annually, than I could understand a cause for concern. He's making next to nothing (relatively speaking,) and I see a good amount of upside to his game as long as he works on developing other facets outside of his isolation skills.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#146 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Jul 9, 2018 10:31 am

Cookies4Life wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

I've been disappointed with Dotson since last season TBH. He has a good muscular frame, but he doesn't really utilize it and play a physical brand of ball. For a supposed potential 3 and d guy, he's not a very good 3 point shooter at all. At least Allonzo has more facets to his game offensively; all Dotson does is wait in a corner for the ball to swing to him.

I'm not trying to overhype Trier, but the kid can get into the lane whenever he wants. He has a very polished hesitation move that almost always catches the defense off guard, he just needs to learn on making more sound decisions with the ball.

If he was our first round pick already signed in for 4+ million annually, than I could understand a cause for concern. He's making next to nothing (relatively speaking,) and I see a good amount of upside to his game as long as he works on developing other facets outside of his isolation skills.

One thing I've noticed about Dotson is although he's ripped dude is not sturdy. When he drives he's easily on the floor. Also just not much versatility in his offense. He needs to hit those open 3's if he's gonna stick as a 3 and D guy because the rest of his game looks very limited.

And yeah Trier has the "homeless Harden" aspect to his game with the hesitation moves. That's an NBA skills whether people like it or not.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#147 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jul 9, 2018 1:49 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
fatalogic wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:Trier can play. He needs to be coached up though.

Honestly what do you like about his game? I watched his college game and wasn’t impressed and his SL play hasn’t given me much confidence in him at all.

He can create his own shot. Didn't shoot well tonight but he was good shooter in college. Not a bad finisher. Shows some craftyness finishing.

I love how people actually think they know what any player will become after watching him play in his first 2 games ever in the damn summer league...lol. I don't mind what i've seen from him yet but i damn sure am not gonna say he's a bum or the next great Knick after 2 SL games.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#148 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jul 9, 2018 1:54 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Lot of guys who were undrafted are desperate and so, guys like Trier are going to shoot first.

16 shots and ZERO assists? I just can't imagine that. Everyone knows he can score and I also can't imagine that the staff didn't ask him to work on passing some. I mean, after all Coach is about positionless ball.

Do you understand that the only way to get a assist is if the guy you pass to can actually make a shot? Our shooting was absolutely horrible last night so kinda hard for him to get assist unless he got them like Frank got them last night which were passes to guys under or around the basket to just lay up or dunk.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#149 » by earthmansurfer » Mon Jul 9, 2018 2:50 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

Do you understand that the only way to get a assist is if the guy you pass to can actually make a shot? Our shooting was absolutely horrible last night so kinda hard for him to get assist unless he got them like Frank got them last night which were passes to guys under or around the basket to just lay up or dunk.

Fair enough but have you watched him play? He really needs to work on finding his teamates.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#150 » by Fury » Mon Jul 9, 2018 2:54 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

Dude he rarely passed, it was awful
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#151 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:01 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

Fair enough but have you watched him play? He really needs to work on finding his teamates.

He had 4 assists in the first game and nobody could make a shot last night. He passed the ball last night but don't know how many players put up a shot after getting the ball from Trier.

Don't get me wrong here cause i agree that he has work to do but he wasn't a PG at Arizona so he's learning now how to play PG and it's only his 2nd SL game so it's gonna take time for him and any of these kids to learn new ways of playing. He isn't even playing PG full time in these SL games, he's been playing both guard spots.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#152 » by HighRyzer83 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:03 pm

The problem is he's stupid. Chucking bricks is one thing, but not having any situational awareness is unacceptable because it never translates into winning ball
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#153 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:03 pm

Fury wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

Dude he rarely passed, it was awful

He had 4 assists in the first game and i'm sure he made other passes that could of become assists for him and last night he did pass the ball and i saw it but we were horrible shooting last night. Getting a assist takes two players not just the guy passing the ball. The kid never played PG so give him a break. Two damn SL games.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant

Post#154 » by earthmansurfer » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:07 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

He had 4 assists in the first game and nobody could make a shot last night. He passed the ball last night but don't know how many players put up a shot after getting the ball from Trier.

Don't get me wrong here cause i agree that he has work to do but he wasn't a PG at Arizona so he's learning now how to play PG and it's only his 2nd SL game so it's gonna take time for him and any of these kids to learn new ways of playing. He isn't even playing PG full time in these SL games, he's been playing both guard spots.

In an interview he said he played backup pg at AZ. He has talent, if he learns to lose his tunnel vision, he can be borderline special cause defenders have to respect his scoring. Now, defenders don‘t have to worry about the pass.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#155 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:32 pm

In the two games I’ve watched trier I’ve been very unimpressed

He’s a capable scorer. However he seems to think he’s better than he is.

He reminds me of Street ball guys I’ve played with or against who miss a shot and stand there in disbelief so everyone else knows that he usually never misses.

I’ve seen multiple plays from this kid where he holds his follow through and stares at the shot instead of getting back on d or following his shot.

I hate that.

And he does nothing else. No passing. No defense.

Trier to me looks like a guy who will put up some points in the g league and then have a couple seasons playing abroad.

He’s not Knick quality.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#156 » by MP4LIFE » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:20 pm

Garbagelo wrote:can we cut him?

We should but we won't.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#157 » by whocares1 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:20 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:In the two games I’ve watched trier I’ve been very unimpressed

He reminds me of Street ball guys I’ve played with or against who miss a shot and stand there in disbelief so everyone else knows that he usually never misses.

I’ve seen multiple plays from this kid where he holds his follow through and stares at the shot instead of getting back on d or following his shot.

I hate that.

Trier to me looks like a guy who will put up some points in the g league and then have a couple seasons playing abroad.

He’s not Knick quality.

What’s Knick quality?
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#158 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:46 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:In the two games I’ve watched trier I’ve been very unimpressed

I hate that.

He’s not Knick quality.

He made a great defensive play towards the end of that game last night and i've seen him play defense in other plays as well. He might not consistently play defense but he does play it when he wants to.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,306

Post#159 » by DrCoach » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:47 pm

Crying over the 16th man...SMH...lol
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#160 » by awy » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:50 pm

him on the gleague roster and probably playing major minutes is a serious deterrent to sending mitch to westchester. poor guy won't get any lobs.

Return to New York Knicks