Post#61 » by NTB » Fri Jul 6, 2018 5:24 pm

Read on Twitter
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
Blackification
Head Coach
And1: 2,229

Re: Welcome Elie Okobo 

Post#62 » by Blackification » Fri Jul 6, 2018 6:20 pm

I like this guy a lot, reminds me of Barbosa, just happy to be here.
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#63 » by phx#7 » Sat Jul 7, 2018 5:04 am

Looked real smooth against the Mavs. He was really aggressive with those low bounce passes, he must trust his teammates to snare them.

His inability to finish with his right was on display as well, there was at least one easy layup that was blown.
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#64 » by Golanator » Sat Jul 7, 2018 2:58 pm

Read on Twitter
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#65 » by gaspar » Sat Jul 7, 2018 6:16 pm

Read on Twitter
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,081

Post#66 » by stoo » Sun Jul 8, 2018 6:18 am

Just a notice for you that are not aware: Elie Okobo is french, so u accentuate last syllable in his last name when you pronounce it
NotSinceWilt
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#67 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 6:33 am

stoo wrote:Just a notice for you that are not aware: Elie Okobo is french, so u accentuate last syllable in his last name when you pronounce it

Can you elaborate ?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
stoo
Bench Warmer

Post#68 » by stoo » Sun Jul 8, 2018 6:46 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
stoo wrote:Just a notice for you that are not aware: Elie Okobo is french, so u accentuate last syllable in his last name when you pronounce it

Can you elaborate ?

i couldn't think of other way... just press the link and wait 2 seconds

https://youtu.be/FEsEiO1Uu6E?t=84
NotSinceWilt
TOO
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,310

Post#69 » by TOO » Sun Jul 8, 2018 6:46 am

lilfishi22 wrote:

Can you elaborate ?

Yes, please elaBORate. 8-)
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#70 » by Golanator » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:13 pm

stoo wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

Can you elaborate ?

Oko-boo?
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#71 » by wheezy » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:57 am

Golanator wrote:
stoo wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Can you elaborate ?

Oko-boo?

I think it's more oko-BO :-p
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#72 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Jul 9, 2018 5:06 pm

But the name originates from Nigeria. The French destroy every foreign pronunciation.

Take your pick.

http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Okobo,%20Nigeria
stoo
Bench Warmer

Post#73 » by stoo » Mon Jul 9, 2018 7:07 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:

But the name originates from Nigeria. The French destroy every foreign pronunciation.

Take your pick.

thanks

then i don't know how to pronounce it.. i mean, i don't know how is he calling himself, nor what language they talk overthere, especially originally ... i did notice that he hasn't corrected a journalist pronouncing okobo as they would in usa though
NotSinceWilt
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#74 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Jul 9, 2018 7:43 pm

stoo wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:

Take your pick.

thanks

then i don't know how to pronounce it.. i mean, i don't know how is he calling himself, nor what language they talk overthere, especially originally ... i did notice that he hasn't corrected a journalist pronouncing okobo as they would in usa though

The best way to pronounce it is however HE wants it pronounced. Do we have any audio of him saying his own name?
stoo
Bench Warmer

Post#75 » by stoo » Mon Jul 9, 2018 7:56 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
stoo wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:But the name originates from Nigeria. The French destroy every foreign pronunciation.

Take your pick.

thanks

The best way to pronounce it is however HE wants it pronounced. Do we have any audio of him saying his own name?

well, i only managed to find video of these guys (it seems one is also called okobo).. they seem from africa.. copied video url at time they pronounce it.. still sounds french

https://youtu.be/9nJD-riUMv8?t=28
NotSinceWilt
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#76 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 10:25 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
stoo wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:But the name originates from Nigeria. The French destroy every foreign pronunciation.

Take your pick.

thanks

I'm sure if he grew up in France that however it has been pronounced his whole life...which is probably the way those french announcers announce it. His mother is french too, though his father is Congolese.

You think of how they pronounce Batum. Mopst people would originally probably assume BAIT-UM - So Okobo...most may emphasize the KO part (oKObo), but it should be the last part......so more like Ok-uh-BO or BOO....not sure how they do that last part..it sounded like BOO on that telecast though BO seems to make more sense..I don't recall hearing a bo name pronounced boo but I may be forgetting someone.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#77 » by NTB » Mon Jul 9, 2018 10:28 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:
stoo wrote:
thanks

I'm sure if he grew up in France that however it has been pronounced his whole life...which is probably the way those french announcers announce it. His mother is french too, though his father is Congolese.

You think of how they pronounce Batum. Mopst people would originally probably assume BAIT-UM - So Okobo...most may emphasize the KO part (oKObo), but it should be the last part......so more like Ok-uh-BO or BOO....not sure how they do that last part..it sounded like BOO on that telecast though BO seems to make more sense..I don't recall hearing a bo name pronounced boo but I may be forgetting someone.

Bo Outlaw :lol:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#78 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 10:32 pm

NTB wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:

That wasn't pronounced boo
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#79 » by NTB » Mon Jul 9, 2018 10:41 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
NTB wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Oh I didn't see that part lol.. I just read "I don't recall hearing a bo name pronounced but I may be forgetting someone".

Seriously, are there any other NBA player whose name ends with "bo"?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#80 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 10:52 pm

NTB wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
NTB wrote:

Oh I didn't see that part lol.. I just read "I don't recall hearing a bo name pronounced but I may be forgetting someone".

Seriously, are there any other NBA player whose name ends with "bo"?

Well, according to b-ref there have been 6 "Bo's", the most noteworthy being Bo Outlaw, and 4 whose last name started with "Bo", most notably Bogut.

Return to Phoenix Suns