The Washington Capitals Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: The Washington Capitals Thread 

Post#341 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 9, 2018 8:50 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:Beagle signing elsewhere is a tough loss for the caps. His ability to kill penalties and win faceoffs will be missed along with just being a great team guy.

Good for Beagle - getting paid. I remember in his early years, the hard-core Caps fans complained that he was so limited and didn't have NHL talent. He's proven his detractors wrong and won everywhere he's played. I hope he does well for Vancouver. All he does is win win win. Thanks Beags.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#342 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#343 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:51 pm

Questions for Caps fans:

Tom Wilson seemed like a vital part of the Caps' toughness and even showed some skills. At 24, is he going to command too big a contract for them to keep?

And what about Orpik? Granted, he's old, and they traded him, but he did get bought out by the team they traded him to. Should they try to sign him to a small contract?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#344 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:Questions for Caps fans:

Tom Wilson seemed like a vital part of the Caps' toughness and even showed some skills. At 24, is he going to command too big a contract for them to keep?

And what about Orpik? Granted, he's old, and they traded him, but he did get bought out by the team they traded him to. Should they try to sign him to a small contract?

They'll do all they can to sign Wilson. He's a great fit on the first line.

I'd guess that they may throw a minimum offer at Orpik... but probably and rightfully feel they've squeezed all the juice out of that berry. Orpik was really good in the playoffs this year, but has been on a decline for a while.
In Rizzo we trust
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#345 » by 80sballboy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:25 am

I'm not as big a Wilson fan because he's just not a natural goal scorer for the top line and he doesn't have the greatest stick skills. But he's big, tough and can get some grimy goals. Orpik had a very good playoffs but if you bring him back, I think you're taking away some kids getting time like Bowey. If I keep him, I'd lower his minutes and sit him out a bunch of games to rest him for the playoffs.
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#346 » by gravytrain24 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:27 am

The caps still have about 9 mil in cap space, so I use 4 mil to lock him up for another 4 years. By the end of his contract he'll be in his prime and in time to determine whether or not he's a top piece worth a monster deal. Wilson has been getting better every season and he's a big part of the team. Orpik could only come back if he took a one year close to vet minimum and play 60 percent of games and playoffs,
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#347 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:27 pm

gravytrain24 wrote:

The caps still have about 9 mil in cap space, so I use 4 mil to lock him up for another 4 years. By the end of his contract he'll be in his prime and in time to determine whether or not he's a top piece worth a monster deal. Wilson has been getting better every season and he's a big part of the team. Orpik could only come back if he took a one year close to vet minimum and play 60 percent of games and playoffs,

I think we all nailed it on Orpik, as he's signed for a relatively small one year contract. Let the kids play during the regular season, and keep him fresh for the playoffs.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#348 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:06 pm

With the re-signing of Wilson for 6 years/31 mil, it looks like the Caps have signed all their name free-agents unless you consider Beagle a name player, and with him leaving, that gives chances to younger players for that 4th line center spot and face-off guy. Do we have anyone in particular that should be able to fill that role?
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#349 » by 80sballboy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:10 pm

Travis Boyd fills the face-off guy and fourth center role. At least he'll try. If not, they'll need to go fishing.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#350 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 4, 2018 12:09 am

Caps score 2 goals in the first 2 minutes of game 1 of this season.

So, 20 game suspension for Tom Wilson. I think this is actually a good thing for the Caps. It forces them to give a younger player or 2 a chance to get major minutes. And they don't really need Wilson for the first 20 games. This will reduce the wear and tear on him, and he should be fresher in the playoffs. The person it hurts is Wilson, since he'll be losing more than a million dollars in salary. And he deserves that suspension, imo. Injuring a player like that in an exhibition game - when you already have a lousy reputation for cheap shots... so stupid and unnecessary.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#351 » by 80sballboy » Thu Oct 4, 2018 2:36 am

I can't comment on Wilson because I didn't see the play but he's not the sharpest if he does that in preseason. Just shocked they came out on fire after putting the banner. That usually doesn't happen with other champs. The so-called championship hangover might occur at some point but they weren't going to let the fans down.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#352 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 4, 2018 2:55 am

80sballboy wrote:I can't comment on Wilson because I didn't see the play but he's not the sharpest if he does that in preseason. Just shocked they came out on fire after putting the banner. That usually doesn't happen with other champs. The so-called championship hangover might occur at some point but they weren't going to let the fans down.

I watchhed chunks of the game, and it was like watching a junior hockey team against an NHL team the ENTIRE time I watched. The Caps were that good and the Bruins were that bad. And Nick Dowd may have earned Beagle's spot. He had probably the best goal of the night - making a 360 spin while blindly shooting the puck 100 MPH at the goal. The Caps were shooting so hard that there were times when the Boston goalies looked like they were afraid of getting hit by lazers.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#353 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:59 pm

The rumors about Kuz having a drug problem have been confirmed. It's hard not to think that had something to do with his disappointing season. Hopefully this doesn't ruin Kuz' life - much less his career.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/evgeny-kuznetsov-gets-4-year-ban-from-international-play-after-positive-cocaine-test/ar-AAGeedQ
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#354 » by Ruzious » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:00 pm

The Washington Capitals thread has been awakened. Btw, it really needs some sweeping - cobwebs everywhere. Fishercob, can you take care of that? Great.

So... Caps gave up there best skater and... a 1st and... a 2nd for some winger who's scored like 20 goals a year? Very big guy, but we have big guys. We don't have speed. Not that I know anything about hawkey, but some things anyone can tell... like trading a young up and comer like Philip Forsberg for some aging vet is not a good idea. Fish - get back here and give your 2 American pennies.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#355 » by Wizardspride » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#356 » by Ruzious » Tue May 4, 2021 12:54 pm

A very ugly brawl with Tom Wilson last night. And he finishes up with a flex. He's already gotten a 14 game suspension this year and now this - to go with problems like this all throughout his career. Maybe the best thing they can do is suspend him for the rest of the season, and trade him in the offseason.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,776

Post#357 » by Rafael122 » Tue May 4, 2021 4:30 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I keep looking at this every week and it absolutely amazes me Gretzky scored that many goals. I have no idea if Ovie gets there. He lost one season due to the lockout, which he probably would have scored 40 goals (had 52 his rookie year so I'm being conservative with the number), and missed 24 games during another lockout so we're probably looking at maybe 60 goals here which would place him 3rd with a decent shot at getting it within the next 2.5 seasons. Now I'm not so sure, he probably does it in 3-4 seasons assuming he keeps a 45 goal pace.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#358 » by doclinkin » Tue May 4, 2021 7:24 pm

Gordie Howe playing 34 years in the no helmet era is insane.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,047

Post#359 » by queridiculo » Tue May 4, 2021 9:20 pm

Ruzious wrote:A very ugly brawl with Tom Wilson last night. And he finishes up with a flex. He's already gotten a 14 game suspension this year and now this - to go with problems like this all throughout his career. Maybe the best thing they can do is suspend him for the rest of the season, and trade him in the offseason.

Unpopular take with all this outrage out there, but this was basically just a scrum and Panarin has nobody to blame but himself for jumping into the fray.

The kid weights 170lbs what was he hoping to accomplishing jumping a guy that's got well over 50lbs on him?
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#360 » by Benjammin » Tue May 4, 2021 9:29 pm

Kuznetsov is again on the COVID list. Samsonov is not.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Washington Wizards