ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Asset or nah

Yes
50%
No
33%
Not sure
17%

Total votes: 86

knicks78
Sophomore
And1: 86

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#41 » by knicks78 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:42 am

QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
DowNY wrote:If Lee is considered an albatross at $12M for 2 more seasons & he actually brings consistency with his play and health for the most part, then I have no clue what you can call Hardaway Jr & Noah's contracts.

Comparatively speaking, Timmy provides adequate production compared to those at his position making similar money. Yes, he's overpaid but its not like he a scrub. He's alright. Not bad, not very good. Decent. Just not worth 18 mill

I wonder if the opinion on Timmy would change if he were only making 12-14 mill a year as opposed to 18-20. He's not that bad

Noah, otoh is a mega-albatross. I hope the Knicks take their medicine and just ride out that contract to the bitter end. Dont stretch him and have that dead money counting against the cap into the early 2020s

Thats what it is tho 12-14 is ok, 20 isnt
knicks78
Sophomore
And1: 86

Post#42 » by knicks78 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:43 am

will be happy if clee is gone and we don't have to use assets tho
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#43 » by Daaaarryyl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:02 am

2010 wrote:Albatross due to circumstances.

Teams know our situation. Know we are in play for a 2019 max free agent.

Know we desperately need to move Lee and/or Noah.

They will tax us heavily to take on his deal the same way we got taxed heavily in the form of a 1st round pick in 2010 to get someone to take on Jared Jeffries, who was only making a mere $5 million MLE contract.

Was worried about this.. He's a guy a contender should have interest in...but that extra year :nonono:

Maybe a team at the deadline would deal a few 2nd's and expiring's for Kanter and say, Burke, who I believe is going to have a nice season as a scoring 6th man.

Then spin those picks to a team that will absorb Lee's contract?? IDK :-?
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#44 » by seren » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:04 am

He is not an asset. If you can find an expiring for him, you do the deal.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#45 » by Ignitowsky » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 am

It's all relative. Lee would be an asset on an any good team. good outside shooter, plays defense, good character guy, still has a couple of good years left, salary is not horrific. His value on our team however is only as a studying veteran presence for the youngsters.

I think he'd be a great fit on a I think he'd be a great fit on a team like the Lakers or even Boston.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,306

Post#46 » by DrCoach » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:11 am

I think we may need a contender to have a injury before we can trade him.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#47 » by Daaaarryyl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 am

god shammgod wrote:didn't we have this same exact thread already ? for our purposes, he might be an albatross if we can't get an expiring.

Speaking for myself, at the end of the season I thought they could get a pick for him.

Now looking into other team's situations and realizing many teams are looking at major cap space for '19-'20 and beyond I've changed my opinion.

Gonna need to move an asset(s) to move him now IMO
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#48 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:04 am

Daaaarryyl wrote:
god shammgod wrote:didn't we have this same exact thread already ? for our purposes, he might be an albatross if we can't get an expiring.

Speaking for myself, at the end of the season I thought they could get a pick for him.

Now looking into other team's situations and realizing many teams are looking at major cap space for '19-'20 and beyond I've changed my opinion.

It would most likely take assets to move him today, but there is a slight chance that we can get an EC for him at the deadline.

Would Pistons entertain Lee+Burke for Galloway+Ish Smith?
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#49 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:07 am

Ignitowsky wrote:It's all relative. Lee would be an asset on an any good team. good outside shooter, plays defense, good character guy, still has a couple of good years left, salary is not horrific. His value on our team however is only as a studying veteran presence for the youngsters.

I think he'd be a great fit on a I think he'd be a great fit on a team like the Lakers or even Boston.

Lakers are loaded at the 2guard slot tho. They have KCP, Lance, and Josh Hart. Lee isnt much of an upgrade over any1 in that trio, if he is at all.

Memphis was trying to land Avery Bradley. Have read Memphis still likes Lee from his previous stint, id explore that avenue
New Knicks
Junior
And1: 190

Post#50 » by New Knicks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 am

Idc I want him gone and fast
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Post#51 » by Jonathan starks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:11 am

QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:It's all relative. Lee would be an asset on an any good team. good outside shooter, plays defense, good character guy, still has a couple of good years left, salary is not horrific. His value on our team however is only as a studying veteran presence for the youngsters.

Memphis is not trying to take on salary. I’m thinking Boston if smart jumps ship

Lakers are loaded at the 2guard slot tho. They have KCP, Lance, and Josh Hart. Lee isnt much of an upgrade over any1 in that trio, if he is at all.

Memphis was trying to land Avery Bradley. Have read Memphis still likes Lee from his previous stint, id explore that avenue
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior

Post#52 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:18 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:

It would most likely take assets to move him today, but there is a slight chance that we can get an EC for him at the deadline.

Would Pistons entertain Lee+Burke for Galloway+Ish Smith?

Is the last year of Galloway's deal non-guaranteed? Cause if not, I wouldnt make this deal.
kNicksGmen
Analyst
And1: 458

Post#53 » by kNicksGmen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:19 am

somewhere in between.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,492

Post#54 » by cgf » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:34 am

Jonathan starks wrote:
QBoro KnicksFan wrote:

Memphis is not trying to take on salary. I’m thinking Boston if smart jumps ship

Memphis is going to be at the cap next year either way now that SA didn't match, so why not take on some extra money next year for a player they can actually make use of?
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Post#55 » by Jonathan starks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:38 am

cgf wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
QBoro KnicksFan wrote:

Memphis is going to be at the cap next year either way now that SA didn't match, so why not take on some extra money next year for a player they can actually make use of?

I dunno maybe. Last I heard they were desperate to get rid of parsons
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,492

Post#56 » by cgf » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:45 am

Jonathan starks wrote:
cgf wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:

I'm sure they are. I mean wouldn't you? I can't even imagine what they'd have to give up to get expirings back for him though.

That's like trading Noah, would be nice, but it ain't happening.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior

Post#57 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:56 am

Jonathan starks wrote:
cgf wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:

If they were that desperate to get out from under Parson's albatross deal they had the opportunity to do so last month by trading him + the 4th pick to some tanking team for assets. They passed on that opportunity and have since signed Slo-Mo to a 4 yr deal (even though they already have a bunch of PFs but thats whole other conversation) and like I said before they were also in the market for Avery Bradley. It appears to me that if a player is serviceable and is a fit they'd be willing to spend, regardless of the situation with Parsons
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#58 » by GEOLINK » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:04 am

Still don't know what type of special herbs Phil was smoking in the off-season of 2016.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#59 » by TimRobbins » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:46 am

He surely isn't an albatross. Can probably be traded for an expiring contratct.
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#60 » by jstudabaka » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:48 am

He's neither. His contract isn't albatross, but he's still making too much as a 33/34 yo for it to be too appealing for anyone else to take on.

Return to New York Knicks