ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: John Starks calls draymond green fake tough wouldn't handle 1990 era basketball

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

RealGM
And1: 39,071

Re: OT: John Starks calls draymond green fake tough wouldn't handle 1990 era basketball 

Post#41 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:53 am

When Oak smacked fire outta Jeff McInnis over a woman:

https://nypost.com/2000/12/05/oakley-mcinnis-war-looks-far-from-over/

Oak smacked fire outta Tyrone Hill over an unpaid debt. Then again he beaned him in the head with a basketball during shootaround:

Charles Oakley and Tyrone Hill probably won't be dining together anytime soon, but at least they're closer to ending their feud.

Hill, Philadelphia's starting power forward, paid the Raptors' Oakley money he owed him from a dice game last summer, a 76ers team source told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Hill went to Toronto's team hotel Tuesday to meet Oakley after the Raptors arrived in Philadelphia.

The teams' Eastern Conference semifinal was tied heading into Wednesday's Game 5.

Oakley would not confirm that he was paid the remainder of the debt, about $54,000.

"Everything in life is double," Oakley said before Wednesday's game. "If he didn't pay me $108,000, he didn't pay me."

Oakley said the NBA doesn't want him to talk about the feud during the playoffs.

That didn't stop him from taking shots at Hill.

"A gentleman pays his debt within a week or two," Oakley said, adding that it's a "coward move" for Hill to say he paid him.

Hill would not comment before the game.

Oakley was suspended for one game without pay and fined $10,000 last month for hitting Hill in the head with a basketball after a morning shootaround in Toronto before the 76ers played the Raptors on April 3.

Before a pre-season game, Oakley slapped Hill and neither was allowed to play.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/oakley-hill-feud-over-gambling-debt-1.284722

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
RealGM

Re: OT: John Starks calls draymond green fake tough wouldn't handle 1990 era basketball 

Post#42 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:54 am

Tracey McGrady also confirmed Oak slapped schit outta Barkley. McGrady also said Oak pour a bottle of liquor on an unnamed teammates head.

DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,306

Post#43 » by DrCoach » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:06 am

2010 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
2010 wrote:
I met Mase by Baisley Park too. I was making a late night store run to "Al's" (Long St. & Baisley Blvd) and ran into Mase in the joint buying some beer. We kicked it for a few. He was a real one.

It this reminds of the day., I was playing ball in the park with my boys in queens. A Big body Benz with 20's on it, screeches up t the Park and this Huge guy jumps out the car with designs in his hair and a gold front. Yelling.."who wants it, who wants it?"

Well, I thought i was gonna die is drug deal gone bad that day, I almost crapped my pants..

Then one kid slowly says, "Mase?"

Anthony Mason gives a huge smile and says, "Sorry guys, I was just Effin with yall, lets get a quick game"

Haha, yup that's def him. Real to the core with no hollywood in him. Just a cool down to earth dude.

Likewise, Jayson Williams (St. John's/Nets) was the same exact way. I used to ball wit him in the city after he did his lil bid for the manslaughter of the chauffeur. Dude was just like one of us. Talking mad schit. Even started cheating and calling b.s. fouls once we got to point game and his squad was losing

:lol:

But that n*gga is a lil crazy too. Just be saying some random wild schit. Made it totally understandable how that schit wit that chauffeur could have happened that night. Especially wit alcohol involved.

I've met Jayson a few times, my cousin went to St. John's. Very cool guy.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#44 » by HEZI » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:16 am

2010 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
We watching the same video here? Oak slammed Barkley which started the mess, Barkley shoved him, then Oak landed a glance as Olajuwan interjected. Hakeem took a hit on the cheek bone.

Barkley barely misses his jaw with the left but then tags him with the right. 2:04 mark you can see when it's slowed down where Barkley gets him. Oakley was hitting everybody but Barkley :lol: even Patrick took a shot to the back of the head from him

You sound like you still doubting Oakley's gangsta:

Charles Oakley doesn’t need to say a word for his legend to grow.

The face of the Knicks’ bruising, pushing, plodding, mostly winning teams of the ’90s did in fact open-handed slap Charles Barkley before an NBA players’ union meeting in 1999, according to former pro Chucky Brown.

Brown, whose well-traveled, 13-year career finished after the 2001-02 season, confirmed the long-swirling rumor of the off-court faceoff between two of the league’s premier, and toughest, big men in an interview with the “Jerseys & Dress Shirts podcast,” of which TMZ obtained an early listen before the episode is released Friday.

During the 1998-99 lockout, Brown found himself in a hallway outside a room in which labor discussions were being hashed out, surrounded by NBA stars.

“I’m standing in the hallway talking with Dream [Hakeem Olajuwon],” said Brown, who played for 12 different teams, tying him for an NBA record. “… Barkley was kind of like next to me, talking to this white guy. … I look down the hall, I see Derrick Coleman, Anthony Mason, God bless his soul, and Charles Oakley. And back in the day, they were three of the guys you didn’t want to mess with.”

Oakley, in particular, was menacing, later getting hired by Michael Jordan to be his bodyguard.
“I see Oakley coming, so I’m looking at Oakley, and it looks like he’s looking at me,” Brown said. “Barkley’s standing right over [there]. Oakley and I had gotten into something on the court. I’m thinking I don’t want to fight this dude, but if I gotta do it I gotta do it.

“He walks past me, he walks up to Charles Barkley and was like, ‘What was this s–t you were saying?’ Barkley just kind of looked at him. And Oakley open-handed slapped him.”

According to Brown, the 6-foot-6 Barkley didn’t retaliate against the 6-foot-8 Oakley
, at least not then.

https://nypost.com/2017/01/10/charles-oakleys-legendary-slap-of-charles-barkley-confirmed/

There are so many Oakley related incidents that happened off the court. I know the dude was wild but I'm talking about basketball related and most of the stuff that Draymond does is just little petty stuff, he's never gone full Ron Artest on anybody so I'm not sure why people focus on him so much, maybe it's the Warriors exposure. There are other hot heads and dirty players in the league that get away with so much more than Draymond, like CP3, Patrick Beverly, Serge Ibaka, Mathew Dellevadova, Zaza, Marquese Chriss, etc.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,051

Post#45 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:25 am

HEZI wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
HEZI wrote:
You think physicality would have stopped Draymond from running his mouth? Did physicality stop Larry Bird from running his mouth? Kevin McHale? There were so many players that loved talking trash and embraced the physicality of that era and even despite all of that the Knicks were still looked at as the villains and one of the most hated teams around the league because they themselves played dirty. Still that didn't stop other players from being who they were and talking trash even when they played the Knicks. If Draymond Green played for the Warriors during the TMC era, he would still be Draymond Green and run his mouth.

And he would've been checked for it. He gets away with it now. He would have been in brawls back then. That's the point.

So what you are saying is he would fit right in with that era? I agree

His flagrant fouls and technicals would just be looked at as common fouls and he would have just been another physical player who would occasionally get into it with other players.

I wasn't saying that at all but, I don't necessarily disagree either. I just know he woulda been punched in the mouth by now. Put on his ass every time he came in the lane too. It's a different game today.
:beer: RIP mags
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#46 » by jstudabaka » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:42 am

haha, love it. Great stuff by Starks.
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#47 » by NY2TheBay » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:03 am

knicks85 wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:we miss you Starks

and hes right

also, just because :

Spoiler:

Yeah my guy 2010 dropped that gem on me the other day. Great moment there.

Draymond wouldve fit in, not been a tough guy etc but wouldve handled that era.
and Ben Wallace terrified him..

Who did Ben Wallace terrify? Theres 3 different players to reference here..

Draymond grew up a Ben Wallace fan and they are boys, Ben Wallace sits courtside at warrior games and has sat with warriors broadcasters during games.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,554

Post#48 » by BigShot Bojan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:08 am

NY2TheBay wrote:
knicks85 wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:
Yeah my guy 2010 dropped that gem on me the other day. Great moment there.

Draymond wouldve fit in, not been a tough guy etc but wouldve handled that era.
and Ben Wallace terrified him..

Draymond grew up a Ben Wallace fan and they are boys, Ben Wallace sits courtside at warrior games and has sat with warriors broadcasters during games.

Ron Artest...
Formerly Knicks85
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#49 » by NY2TheBay » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:11 am

knicks85 wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:
knicks85 wrote:and Ben Wallace terrified him..

Ron Artest...

Ahhh. ok. Well if this is about the Malace in the Palace thing then maybe. In defense of Ron there was an age gap then, Ben was a grown man Ron was a pup still. Ron is crazy, like Mike Tyson crazy.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,554

Post#50 » by BigShot Bojan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:13 am

NY2TheBay wrote:
knicks85 wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:

Ron Artest...

Ahhh. ok. Well if this is about the Malace in the Palace thing then maybe. In defense of Ron there was an age gap then, Ben was a grown man Ron was a pup still. Ron is crazy, like Mike Tyson crazy.

Ben Wallace is only 5 years older...Artest was terrified, Wallace was a bad bad man
Formerly Knicks85
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#51 » by NY2TheBay » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:14 am

knicks85 wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:
knicks85 wrote:Ron Artest...

Ben Wallace in only 5 years older

Thats enough. I got my money on Ron right now.
stopstandthere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#52 » by stopstandthere » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:19 am

Starks is right, as always
RealGM

Post#53 » by 2010 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:30 pm

Ron wasn't TERRIFIED. C'mon now. You putting mad yeast on it.

sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#54 » by sushibear » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:53 pm

knicks85 wrote:
NY2TheBay wrote:
knicks85 wrote:Ron Artest...

Ben Wallace is only 5 years older...Artest was terrified, Wallace was a bad bad man

I dont think ron was terrified at all. He was flopping and exaggerating so he can get that call. Ron arrest is a killer man. He's oj simpson level.
NY2TheBay
General Manager

Post#55 » by NY2TheBay » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:58 pm

2010 wrote:Ron wasn't TERRIFIED. C'mon now. You putting mad yeast on it.

Terrified is a strong word now. :lol:
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#56 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:40 pm

melo was terrified of jared jeffries. jj snapped.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#57 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:55 pm

HEZI wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
HEZI wrote:I don't wanna hear it. All the stuff they let skinny Reggie Miller get away with especially when he came to the Garden but somehow Draymond Green wouldn't be able to be who he is in that era. Sure the 90s had more physicality and the Knicks were one of the tougher teams back then but still guys like Pippen would bully them. Rodman was allowed to be who he was, Barkley was allowed to be who he was, why would Draymond not be allowed to be who he was? Even Kevin Garnett might have caught a few more Anthony Peeler type of elbows back in the day but he would still be who he is.

Miller got away with what he did because he had the davis twins with him

and he wasn't talking tough

he was a flopper

Reggie was a known trash talker and he use to get in Stark's head. So what if Reggie had the Davis boys? Are we now going to overrate them and act like they were tougher than some of the bigmen of today? The difference is the game was officiated differently so players had to adjust to the physicality but that doesn't mean there aren't guys from today's era that could thrive under those rules if it was actually allowed today.

i think the point was that reggie had legit goons. he wasn't out there with jud beuchler.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Post#58 » by Jonathan starks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:57 pm

stopstandthere wrote:Starks is right, as always
IAmTheBest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,803

Post#59 » by IAmTheBest » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:54 am

lol

artest wasnt terrified of ****

psychos arent terrified.

artest was actually just trying to keep calm. there is no middle ground for people like him. he sees a fukin therapist and i wouldnt be surprised if he sees an psychiatrist. dude is legit crazy. at that point in his life, he either snaps or he doesnt. that's why he went to go lie down on the table and put the headphones on. he tried to calm himself but eventually lost it and snapped

artest is from the hood. nobody from the hood is terrified of an nba "fight"
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#60 » by blanko » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:09 am

Anthony mason would makw draymond green wash his boxers and cook his meals

Sent from my LGM-V300K using Tapatalk

Return to New York Knicks