ImageImageImageImage

Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!!

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#41 » by Last Guardian » Sun Jul 8, 2018 11:35 am

Don't know him very well. Are we ignoring that we just traded Bizmack?
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#42 » by nymets1 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 11:36 am

MoMM wrote:
nymets1 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
DJ is the starter among that group man. Briscoe has work to do and Grant is likely trade bait with an expiring deal.

Not how I see it. Just because DJ makes more money than Briscoe and Grant combined doesn't make DJ the starter. Briscoe is better player than DJ. DJ and Grant are close but I rather play Grant because he's younger than DJ and Grant is related to Horace Grant. We could still make a trade for PG and/ or sign Isiaah Thomas but if Briscoe, Grant and DJ are our PG'S, Briscoe is the best player of the 3.

Briscoe played only 1 summer league game and now he is better than DJ? Come on, let's wait a little bit before saying it, right? He didn't even faced NBA caliber players in that game.

NO, its not just the 1 summer league game. It's his body of work when he played overseas and kinda at Kentucky but mostly when he played overseas.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#43 » by Instincts » Sun Jul 8, 2018 12:13 pm

zuppafly wrote:
npiper17 wrote:
zuppafly wrote:So, you're saying Grant is not horrible?

No, I’m saying that those who rush off to the trading team’s forum and come back 10 mins later declaring x, y or z about a player should do more research. Fans aren’t always the best source of info.

For example, if the Magic traded Vuc, there’s a number of posters on here who would basically say to the acquiring team’s fans that’s he’s terrible. He isn’t and has value in certain areas, on certain teams in certain roles but you’re not going to hear that from all fans.
It's one thing to assume what a few fans talk about a player, it's another thing to see that there's isn't a single fan saying he'll be sorry for losing him.

Grant is no middle-terms player. You don't have only a few fans being extreme about his play.
If we were to trade Fournier we'd also have people around here going to his new team forums saying he's horrible. Others would say he was good for us. Some would say he was our best guy. That's what a fanbase is...
This is different. I only recall watching a few games of him and I recall thinking the guy was bad, but that's admittedly a small sample.
The fact that Bulls fans, every single one I've read so far, are laughing and celebrating that didn't have to pay to get rid of him is the red flag.

I liked what I saw from Grant last year. He stood out as a solid young player in the games I saw.

Front office obviously would like to see more of Grant.
Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sources : Orlando trade for PG jerian grant!! 

Post#44 » by Instincts » Sun Jul 8, 2018 12:14 pm

zuppafly wrote:
npiper17 wrote:
zuppafly wrote:So, you're saying Grant is not horrible?

No, I’m saying that those who rush off to the trading team’s forum and come back 10 mins later declaring x, y or z about a player should do more research. Fans aren’t always the best source of info.

For example, if the Magic traded Vuc, there’s a number of posters on here who would basically say to the acquiring team’s fans that’s he’s terrible. He isn’t and has value in certain areas, on certain teams in certain roles but you’re not going to hear that from all fans.
It's one thing to assume what a few fans talk about a player, it's another thing to see that there's isn't a single fan saying he'll be sorry for losing him.

Grant is no middle-terms player. You don't have only a few fans being extreme about his play.
If we were to trade Fournier we'd also have people around here going to his new team forums saying he's horrible. Others would say he was good for us. Some would say he was our best guy. That's what a fanbase is...
This is different. I only recall watching a few games of him and I recall thinking the guy was bad, but that's admittedly a small sample.
The fact that Bulls fans, every single one I've read so far, are laughing and celebrating that didn't have to pay to get rid of him is the red flag.

I liked what I saw from Grant last year. He stood out as a solid young player in the limited games I saw.

Front office obviously would like to see more of Grant.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,774

Post#45 » by Audi » Sun Jul 8, 2018 12:36 pm

Per 36 he basically looks like a better shooting Elfrid.

He’s definitely not the high volume scoring PG of the future, but he does know how to protect the ball and get players involved.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#46 » by NBAchamps2017 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:14 pm

Jerian Grant

He is a dynamic player and his pass first mentality will benefit Isaac, Gordon and Bamba who cannot create their shots on a consistent basis.

j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#47 » by j-ragg » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:28 pm

nymets1 wrote:
MoMM wrote:
nymets1 wrote:

Not how I see it. Just because DJ makes more money than Briscoe and Grant combined doesn't make DJ the starter. Briscoe is better player than DJ. DJ and Grant are close but I rather play Grant because he's younger than DJ and Grant is related to Horace Grant. We could still make a trade for PG and/ or sign Isiaah Thomas but if Briscoe, Grant and DJ are our PG'S, Briscoe is the best player of the 3.

Briscoe played only 1 summer league game and now he is better than DJ? Come on, let's wait a little bit before saying it, right? He didn't even faced NBA caliber players in that game.

NO, its not just the 1 summer league game. It's his body of work when he played overseas and kinda at Kentucky but mostly when he played overseas.

DJ had a great shooting year last season. 42% from 3, most efficient offensive player on our team. He’s much better than Briscoe and especially Grant.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
BlueBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 683

Post#48 » by BlueBalls » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:57 pm

Meh.

Bismack is gone. That’s the upshot here.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#49 » by Last Guardian » Sun Jul 8, 2018 2:58 pm

j-ragg wrote:
nymets1 wrote:
MoMM wrote:Briscoe played only 1 summer league game and now he is better than DJ? Come on, let's wait a little bit before saying it, right? He didn't even faced NBA caliber players in that game.

DJ had a great shooting year last season. 42% from 3, most efficient offensive player on our team. He’s much better than Briscoe and especially Grant.

Thats nice but DJ is the worst defender in the league and got blocked almost every time he went to the rim. And his passing and abilitiy to run an offense is sub-par.

Grant is not the shooter DJ is but he is a much better defender and playmaker. Briscoe is an unknown, could be better than both.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#50 » by j-ragg » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:14 pm

Last Guardian wrote:
j-ragg wrote:
nymets1 wrote:

Thats nice but DJ is the worst defender in the league and got blocked almost every time he went to the rim. And his passing and abilitiy to run an offense is sub-par.

Grant is not the shooter DJ is but he is a much better defender and playmaker. Briscoe is an unknown, could be better than both.

I think that's crazy but everyone has their opinion. Grant is probably a better defender, but I wouldn't say he's good at anything. Same with Briscoe. DJ is good (last year elite) at shooting. With a team full of athletes that can't shoot, I thought that'd be more valuable than a maybe league average defender? I think DJ is a better passer too but that's probably a wash, both not very good.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#51 » by tiderulz » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:35 pm

nymets1 wrote:
MoMM wrote:
nymets1 wrote:

but it wasnt even the top league in Europe. How is his play much better than play in China, where some college players have gone to score like 30 ppg?
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#52 » by MJallday59 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:49 pm

Grant is solid when given consistent minutes. Think of him as a younger but more athletic/aggressive version of Shelvin Mack.

He will eventually beat out DJ Augustin for the starting job.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#53 » by MoMM » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:52 am

tiderulz wrote:
nymets1 wrote:
MoMM wrote:Briscoe played only 1 summer league game and now he is better than DJ? Come on, let's wait a little bit before saying it, right? He didn't even faced NBA caliber players in that game.

but it wasnt even the top league in Europe. How is his play much better than play in China, where some college players have gone to score like 30 ppg?

Yes, I won't even bother to discuss it anymore, DJ is a 10/4 player in 720 NBA games, but suddenly a player who got un-drafted a year ago, played in a weak league in Europe and had only 1 summer league game is better than him.

He can have more potential, but for now, it's only potential. Do you remember DJ? He was a Top 10 draft pick and at some point he had a LOT of potential too.
Uncommon
Junior
And1: 417

Post#54 » by Uncommon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:54 am

Lol at people thinking Briscoe or Grant will start ahead of DJ. There’s a reason these guys were so available: they’re not very good. DJ is a veteran who had a pretty good year last year and is nearly guaranteed to net 12 and 5 on 38% from 3. Briscoe and Grant aren’t SNIFFING those numbers, even with 48mpg. Couple that with the fact that Clifford likes his veterans and there’s virtually no chance Augustin isn’t our starter next season.

Hate to break it to you guys but diamonds in the rough are extremely rare and nearly impossible to find. Grant and Briscoe are merely pebbles. We’ll find our PG soon enough. We’re not going to be a good team any time soon so we can definitely afford to wait and try our hand at digging through the rough, so I find nothing wrong with what Weltman and Hammond are doing.
this is my signature.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#55 » by The Effect » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:14 am

Uncommon wrote: DJ is a veteran who had a pretty good year last year and is nearly guaranteed to net 12 and 5 on 38% from 3. Briscoe and Grant aren’t SNIFFING those numbers, even with 48mpg.

Umm.......In the games Grant started, he averaged 10/6.3/4 and shot 37% from 3....Not that far off from DJs numbers as a starter of 11.7/5/2.5 and 41% from 3
Uncommon
Junior

Post#56 » by Uncommon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:12 am

The Effect wrote:
Uncommon wrote: DJ is a veteran who had a pretty good year last year and is nearly guaranteed to net 12 and 5 on 38% from 3. Briscoe and Grant aren’t SNIFFING those numbers, even with 48mpg.

Umm.......In the games Grant started, he averaged 10/6.3/4 and shot 37% from 3....Not that far off from DJs numbers as a starter of 11.7/5/2.5 and 41% from 3

Why stop there?

Grant, 26 games started:

Averages: 29.8mpg, 9.8ppg, 6.3apg, 4.0rpg
Shooting: .419 FG%, .371 3PT%, .821 FT%
Advanced: .559 TS%, -8.3 +\-

DJ, 36 games started:

Averages: 27.5mpg, 11.7ppg, 5.0apg, 2.5rpg
Shooting: .459 FG%, .423 3PT%, .908 FT%
Advanced: .621 TS%, -2.2 +\-

DJ Augustin is CLEARLY the better player. I stand by what I said. I have zero confidence Grant will be able to do anything close to 12/5 on 38% from 3 over the course of a season. Also, he shot 2 three pointers a game as a starter, so that 37% from 3 is on a tiny sample size and the Magic need floor spacing more than ever. People hoping in Grant are going to be sorely disappointed. Go take a gander at the Bulls forum. They sure as heck don’t miss him.

EDIT: After REALLY combing over the numbers, I’m more ambivalent on Grant. I still think DJ starts over him because of Clifford’s insistence starting veterans, but I’ve admittedly never watched Grant play and perhaps he just needs a chance. Who knows? But the numbers indicate there’s some potential, and Clifford helped turn around Kemba. Maybe he can pull something out of Grant. Not holding my breath at all, but maybe he’ll show us something.
this is my signature.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#57 » by MoMM » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:35 am

I assume our strategy is to go with these PGs and try to draft a PG in next years draft, the problem is that there is no great PG projected for next season. See NBADraft Mock: http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

1st PG is a white kid ranked #12 (Grady) and after that there is no PG until #23.

He at least seems to be able to shot the ball, but less than 2apg with more than 35mpg doesn't seem good for a PG.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278349/kellan-grady
Uncommon
Junior

Post#58 » by Uncommon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:41 am

MoMM wrote:I assume our strategy is to go with these PGs and try to draft a PG in next years draft, the problem is that there is no great PG projected for next season. See NBADraft Mock: http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

1st PG is a white kid ranked #12 (Grady) and after that there is no PG until #23.

He at least seems to be able to shot the ball, but less than 2apg with more than 35mpg doesn't seem good for a PG.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278349/kellan-grady

Lol Kellan Grady is not white, although he might be mixed. It’s probably still too early to speculate about next year’s draft picks but you never know what may happen. Grady might have a Trae Young-like rise and be a top-5 pick. Or the opposite.
this is my signature.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#59 » by Spud2nique » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:50 am

j-ragg wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:
j-ragg wrote:DJ had a great shooting year last season. 42% from 3, most efficient offensive player on our team. He’s much better than Briscoe and especially Grant.

I think that's crazy but everyone has their opinion. Grant is probably a better defender, but I wouldn't say he's good at anything. Same with Briscoe. DJ is good (last year elite) at shooting. With a team full of athletes that can't shoot, I thought that'd be more valuable than a maybe league average defender? I think DJ is a better passer too but that's probably a wash, both not very good.

I bet Dennis is looking good right about now huh. Haha, you had me thinking you guys were aiming for somebody better but Jerian Grant? Wow. Good luck with that one!
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#60 » by zaymon » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:44 am

Spud2nique wrote:
j-ragg wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:

I bet Dennis is looking good right about now huh. Haha, you had me thinking you guys were aiming for somebody better but Jerian Grant? Wow. Good luck with that one!

Its looking like we want to develop a reserve and 3 rd stringer this year and sign a pg star next year. Hope it will work.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !

Return to Orlando Magic