ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Asset or nah

Yes
50%
No
33%
Not sure
17%

Total votes: 86

Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,151

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#61 » by Garbagelo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:50 am

100% albatross
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#62 » by MP4LIFE » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:06 am

Courtney Lee is not an albatross.

He is a good role player on a contending team.

I would be surprised if nobody wanted him. He can help a team with his defense and 3 point shooting.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#63 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:34 am

He's an asset, but not one with many available trade partners. I initially thought they could get a pair of seconds for him taking back equal salary, but how the goal seems to have shifted to clearing space for 2019 free agency. With 2 years left on his deal, taking back expiring salaries narrows the market even more. Perry deserves a fair amount of praise if he can move him before the season starts. Hope he can pull it off.
MetaKnick13
General Manager
And1: 343

Post#64 » by MetaKnick13 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:53 am

Sadly, for both us and for Courtney Lee, I believe we blew it by not trading him at the deadline. He had a really solid season for us last year, and I don't think his contract is an albatross but there are a few issues preventing him from getting traded.

2 more years for a guy in his now mid-30s. He could be a solid player on a good team, as many have said earlier in this thread, but taking him on for 2 more years in a pretty slow market where most high caliber teams don't have nor need the cap space to do this kind of deal seems unlikely. That is, unless they absolutely destroy us in any possible trade we did make.

He's good, but not that good. Will he really be able to contribute at a high level? As players get into their mid 30s skills can decline rather quickly. I saw no evidence of this last season, but I do see it as a barrier in us trading him at all. He's decent, but not good enough to risk taking him on when many younger, cheaper, higher-ceiling options are available.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#65 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:19 am

No contending team wants Courtney Lee because the Knicks overpaid for a guy who is 7th best on a 4-6 seed and 9th best on a 1-4 seed.

This is the culture of the Knicks. You don’t ruin your chances to tank. You sign supporting cast to multi-year deals after you have cemented young cogs.

The Knicks already said they were rebuilding when they overpaid for this guy.

They couldn’t move him last season and they won’t this season.

What a mess.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#66 » by FutureKnicksGM » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:49 am

Slight positive imo, worst case neutral. Should be able to get dead weight expirings & a couple of seconds.

Lee >>> Wilson (He's fallen off).

He can help a contender for sure. Once the season starts, at least half the league are trying to win games, and the majority are not going to be players in 2019, so there is some market.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,746

Post#67 » by Adelheid » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 am

Hard for the Knicks to trade anything with higher contract because of the dysfunctional image. Would take a few seasons of not screwing up and making impression that the FO is no longer a pushover. Also, the Knicks arent winning so its hard to show other teams that Lee and KOQ can contribute to winning.
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Post#68 » by MadGrinch » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:44 am

god shammgod wrote:didn't we have this same exact thread already ? for our purposes, he might be an albatross if we can't get an expiring.

yes we did .

viewtopic.php?t=1703811

obviously his deal has negative value for a few reasons , his role is essentially glue starter , good teams dont pay 12 mil. for that

and people forget this when they compare players like noah , hardaway and lee .

Lee is playing to expectations (if not slightly above expectations) and he still has negative value around the league

if noah or hardaway were putting up the impact, numbers and efficiency expected of them there would be a market for them.

on the surface that is why people balk at the idea that courtney is an albatross because he plays to the level of his contract, but when you dig deeper you'll realize there is no market for him and there wont be a market for him unless something extremely unexpected happens .

also on the knicks they have an overload of players capable of playing the 2

ron baker is a natural 2

hardaway is a 2

dotson is a 2

they just signed trier on a 2 way and he is shooting guard.

troy williams is a small small forward capable of sliding over

frank obviously can slide over to the 2

and if all else fails with mudiay at point guard his last gasp to survive in the league will be as a 2 guard

all this in addition to lee

as a team the knicks a have a lot of youth who need playing time at the 2 , they are a rebuilding team and lee is more for a team who need a final piece .

the knicks have long since known he has to go but have struggled and will continue to find difficulty in dealing lee.
Its because I'm green isn't it?
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#69 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:No contending team wants Courtney Lee because the Knicks overpaid for a guy who is 7th best on a 4-6 seed and 9th best on a 1-4 seed.

This is the culture of the Knicks. You don’t ruin your chances to tank. You sign supporting cast to multi-year deals after you have cemented young cogs.

The Knicks already said they were rebuilding when they overpaid for this guy.

They couldn’t move him last season and they won’t this season.

What a mess.

Wrong, he was signed in 2016 along with Noah. They were trying to compete the year they got them. Bad signings, yes, but made with the intent to win. Blame Phil for thinking Noah had anything left and for signing Lee to too many years
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior

Post#70 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:01 pm

MadGrinch wrote:
god shammgod wrote:didn't we have this same exact thread already ? for our purposes, he might be an albatross if we can't get an expiring.

yes we did .

viewtopic.php?t=1703811

obviously his deal has negative value for a few reasons , his role is essentially glue starter , good teams dont pay 12 mil. for that

and people forget this when they compare players like noah , hardaway and lee .

Lee is playing to expectations (if not slightly above expectations) and he still has negative value around the league

if noah or hardaway were putting up the impact, numbers and efficiency expected of them there would be a market for them.

on the surface that is why people balk at the idea that courtney is an albatross because he plays to the level of his contract, but when you dig deeper you'll realize there is no market for him and there wont be a market for him unless something extremely unexpected happens .

also on the knicks they have an overload of players capable of playing the 2

ron baker is a natural 2

hardaway is a 2

dotson is a 2

they just signed trier on a 2 way and he is shooting guard.

troy williams is a small small forward capable of sliding over

frank obviously can slide over to the 2

and if all else fails with mudiay at point guard his last gasp to survive in the league will be as a 2 guard

all this in addition to lee

as a team the knicks a have a lot of youth who need playing time at the 2 , they are a rebuilding team and lee is more for a team who need a final piece .

the knicks have long since known he has to go but have struggled and will continue to find difficulty in dealing lee.

No he isnt. He's a 3 with the ability to play small ball 4. Hopefully plays well enough to push Lance Thomas out of the rotation

Agree with the rest of your post.
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Post#71 » by Jonathan starks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:14 pm

QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
cgf wrote:
Memphis is going to be at the cap next year either way now that SA didn't match, so why not take on some extra money next year for a player they can actually make use of?

I dunno maybe. Last I heard they were desperate to get rid of parsons

If they were that desperate to get out from under Parson's albatross deal they had the opportunity to do so last month by trading him + the 4th pick to some tanking team for assets. They passed on that opportunity and have since signed Slo-Mo to a 4 yr deal (even though they already have a bunch of PFs but thats whole other conversation) and like I said before they were also in the market for Avery Bradley. It appears to me that if a player is serviceable and is a fit they'd be willing to spend, regardless of the situation with Parsons

Fair point
New Knicks
Junior
And1: 190

Post#72 » by New Knicks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:59 pm

Lee Baker Thomas and trade exception. For a Melo cut Melo. Clear cap for next year. Win and win. Let’s make it happen Perry and Mills.
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#73 » by SmoothLefty21 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:14 pm

No player making $12m is albatross, especially a guy who can still contribute on both ends like Lee.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#74 » by cuyankees » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:54 am

Obvi latter bc he's a glorified, old 6th man who gets paid +10mn. There isn't a chance in hell that Knicks ship him wout giving up a pick.

Seems like people, who think the former, forget that there are few teams with cap space to absorb Lee and the few are NOT contenders. Contenders will have to match salaries which is why in the end, Lee is the latter, an albatross of a contract.
iLovethosedamnknicks
Rookie
And1: 221

Post#75 » by iLovethosedamnknicks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:59 am

New Knicks wrote:Lee Baker Thomas and trade exception. For a Melo cut Melo. Clear cap for next year. Win and win. Let’s make it happen Perry and Mills.

Need to find a 3rd team to dump baker too. Okc needs to cut space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#76 » by cuyankees » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:03 am

iLovethosedamnknicks wrote:
New Knicks wrote:Lee Baker Thomas and trade exception. For a Melo cut Melo. Clear cap for next year. Win and win. Let’s make it happen Perry and Mills.

Need to find a 3rd team to dump baker too. Okc needs to cut space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will never happen bc OKC must cut salary, not take on salary...
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#77 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:20 am

QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:
Speaking for myself, at the end of the season I thought they could get a pick for him.

Now looking into other team's situations and realizing many teams are looking at major cap space for '19-'20 and beyond I've changed my opinion.

Gonna need to move an asset(s) to move him now IMO

It would most likely take assets to move him today, but there is a slight chance that we can get an EC for him at the deadline.

Would Pistons entertain Lee+Burke for Galloway+Ish Smith?

Is the last year of Galloway's deal non-guaranteed? Cause if not, I wouldnt make this deal.

It is guaranteed, but obviously it cuts a big chunk of the salary off.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#78 » by Greenie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:34 am

2010 wrote:Albatross due to circumstances.

Teams know our situation. Know we are in play for a 2019 max free agent.

Know we desperately need to move Lee and/or Noah.

They will tax us heavily to take on his deal the same way we got taxed heavily in the form of a 1st round pick in 2010 to get someone to take on Jared Jeffries, who was only making a mere $5 million MLE contract.

People forget about this all of the time and it’s truly mind boggling that they do.

:lol:
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior

Post#79 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:43 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
It would most likely take assets to move him today, but there is a slight chance that we can get an EC for him at the deadline.

Would Pistons entertain Lee+Burke for Galloway+Ish Smith?

Is the last year of Galloway's deal non-guaranteed? Cause if not, I wouldnt make this deal.

It defeats the purpose to trade Lee for a player with the same contract length unless a 1st is attached to it.

Lee for an expiring, Lee for a 2nd rounder, or Lee for nothing back in a straight salary dump are deals worth pursuing. Anything else is just pointless
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#80 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:50 am

QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
QBoro KnicksFan wrote:

It defeats the purpose to trade Lee for a player with the same contract length unless a 1st is attached to it.

Lee for an expiring, Lee for a 2nd rounder, or Lee for nothing back in a straight salary dump are deals worth pursuing. Anything else is just pointless

7.3M Galloway or 12.5 Lee?
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.

Return to New York Knicks