Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Re: Welcome Elie Okobo 

Post#81 » by NTB » Mon Jul 9, 2018 11:00 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
NTB wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
That wasn't pronounced boo

Oh I didn't see that part lol.. I just read "I don't recall hearing a bo name pronounced but I may be forgetting someone".

Seriously, are there any other NBA player whose name ends with "bo"?

Well, according to b-ref there have been 6 "Bo's", the most noteworthy being Bo Outlaw, and 4 whose last name started with "Bo", most notably Bogut.

Yea I saw that too but couldn't find any name ends with bo
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
Kyler Murray
Suns Forum Fantasy GOD
And1: 690

Post#82 » by Kyler Murray » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:51 am

NTB wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
NTB wrote:
Oh I didn't see that part lol.. I just read "I don't recall hearing a bo name pronounced but I may be forgetting someone".

Seriously, are there any other NBA player whose name ends with "bo"?

Well, according to b-ref there have been 6 "Bo's", the most noteworthy being Bo Outlaw, and 4 whose last name started with "Bo", most notably Bogut.

Yea I saw that too but couldn't find any name ends with bo

Z-Bo? :lol:
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#83 » by Golanator » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:06 am

I’ve liked his floor game the last 2 nights just hasn’t gotten his shot to fall.

A few forced turnovers too but he’ll learn. So far very happy with this pick for a 2nd rounder.
TheFire
Senior
And1: 909

Post#84 » by TheFire » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:06 am

He's easily the most natural point guard/playmaker on our roster. Some of those passes he makes I do not see coming. We will see if his shooting and defense will translate at the next level, but I think he has great feel for the game.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#85 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Love his upside he has a good feel for the point guard spot even though he's still pretty new to playing it. But because of his inexperience playing pg I'd send him down to the gleague to start the season. It takes pgs time to learn the system and develop so I'd rather he play heavy minutes there than spot minutes or sit at the end of the bench. The reason teams have their own gleague teams is to run their own offense so take advantage of that and get him a ton of valuable reps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#86 » by Golanator » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:28 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Love his upside he has a good feel for the point guard spot even though he's still pretty new to playing it. But because of his inexperience playing pg I'd send him down to the gleague to start the season. It takes pgs time to learn the system and develop so I'd rather he play heavy minutes there than spot minutes or sit at the end of the bench. The reason teams have their own gleague teams is to run their own offense so take advantage of that and get him a ton of valuable reps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

I agree. With what Shaq Harrison has shown I am comfortable with him as backup PG assuming Knight is the starter.

Let Okobo play 30 MPG in the G-League and call him up when we have an injury or once we're out of it in February-April.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#87 » by NTB » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Read on Twitter

So thats how he pronounced his name.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#88 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:45 pm

Definitely see the inexperience running the team but he does have solid PG/passing instincts. He already has some basic PnR abilities which is a bonus. His shooting has been a little disappointing but he's also been trying to create his own shot a lot and I think he's probably better suited to shot off catches at this point in time. Defensively, he's been OK...I probably expected a bit too much because of his physical profile (6'3 with a 6'8 wing span) so it's maybe a bit unfair to put that on a young PG drafted at the top of the 2nd round but I think it'll come along fairly soon.

As WeekapaugGroove mentioned, I would like seeing him get some heavy minutes in the G-League to start off and transition into a consistent 5-10mpg in the NBA.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,377

Post#89 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:34 am

Read on Twitter
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#90 » by NTB » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:20 am

Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,377

Post#91 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Okobo’s 37% assist percentage as tracked by basketball.realgm.com is something to get excited about.

For reference, only John Wall, Rajon Rondo, LeBron James, and Russell Westbrook had a higher percentage last season according to nba.com/stats....

...While only 6’2”, he does have a 6’8” wingspan, and a certain quickness to his game. This gives him the tools to become an above average defender as well, but a lot of work must be done in that regard. When watching film, one can see that he is not always engaged as a defender and has to work on his consistency on that side of the floor.

Jackson Hoy does a great job breaking down Okobo’s defense in his article which you can read https://www.thestepien.com/2018/02/15/hiding-plain-sight-elie-okobo/.

There is a strong chance Okubo’s future in Phoenix may be shaped by his ability to improve on defense, provide consistent effort and use his quickness and wingspan to offset the challenges of guarding at 6’2”.

https://valleyofthesuns.com/2018/07/27/phoenix-suns-taking-look-elie-okobos-future-role/
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,080

Post#92 » by oddity » Thu Sep 6, 2018 3:59 pm

I've never been shy about how high I am on Okobo. One of the best parts about him as a prospect is his legit size. Just found this picture of him driving on Kyle Collinsworth, who is 6'6
Clearly not lacking too much muscle either. Dude could potentially come in and immediately make a bigger impact than both Trae Young and Sexton with his NBA ready body/athleticism and well rounded game.
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#93 » by jcsunsfan » Thu Sep 6, 2018 6:09 pm

I don't really care whether its Okobo, Melton, or Shaq. I just want one of them to be a legit nba starting pg.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#94 » by bigfoot » Thu Sep 6, 2018 6:32 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:I don't really care whether its Okobo, Melton, or Shaq. I just want one of them to be a legit nba starting pg.

I think that's what everyone wants. The Knight trade was a head shaker. He had been pushed as our starting PG by both Koko and McD. I think Koko said it was nice to see Knight, our starting point guard, come work out and help the young guys get ready for summer league. Then McD made comments about not sleeping on Knight and how he was turning heads down in Florida. Smoke screen more than likely !!!

I speculated in another thread that maybe Okobo and Shaq were just killing Knight in practices and that made him expendable. If so McD made a great move by shoring up our weakness at PF with the acquisition of Anderson plus a backup-backup PG in Melton.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#95 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Sep 6, 2018 7:04 pm

bigfoot wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:I don't really care whether its Okobo, Melton, or Shaq. I just want one of them to be a legit nba starting pg.

I think that's what everyone wants. The Knight trade was a head shaker. He had been pushed as our starting PG by both Koko and McD. I think Koko said it was nice to see Knight, our starting point guard, come work out and help the young guys get ready for summer league. Then McD made comments about not sleeping on Knight and how he was turning heads down in Florida. Smoke screen more than likely !!!

I speculated in another thread that maybe Okobo and Shaq were just killing Knight in practices and that made him expendable. If so McD made a great move by shoring up our weakness at PF with the acquisition of Anderson plus a backup-backup PG in Melton.

This analysis misses the fact that BK had a "cleanup" procedure on his knee in mid-July and isn't projected to return for the start of training camp. So he wasn't even competing with Shaq and Okobo during this time frame. I think lingering health concerns may have played a part in our decision to move on from BK - that and the fact that a reasonable person would conclude that Shaq was likely to outplay him this season based on what we've seen publicly.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Post#96 » by bigfoot » Thu Sep 6, 2018 7:14 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

This analysis misses the fact that BK had a "cleanup" procedure on his knee in mid-July and isn't projected to return for the start of training camp. So he wasn't even competing with Shaq and Okobo during this time frame. I think lingering health concerns may have played a part in our decision to move on from BK - that and the fact that a reasonable person would conclude that Shaq was likely to outplay him this season based on what we've seen publicly.

Yes but BK did come in at the beginning of July, right after the draft and before the start of summer league. He did play with youngsters. http://arizonasports.com/story/1585525/brandon-knight-helping-young-guys-suns-summer-league-workouts/

I agree the knee procedure was probably a concern too. Fact is we now have three defensive oriented PGs in Shaq, Milton, and Okobo. It's exactly what we need next to Booker. One them will step up.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#97 » by TASTIC » Thu Sep 6, 2018 10:37 pm

Lazy comparison(s):

Tony Parker
Kenny Anderson
Travis Best
Mike Conley

Watched a heap of his vids then SL tape the other night and he has aspects of each of those guys.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#98 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Sep 7, 2018 12:41 am

bigfoot wrote:

Being a Suns fan, I've come around on that trade. Knight was barely playable before he tore an ACL and I have more confidence in the guy who was good in the regular season even if they were unplayable in the playoffs (Ryno). Given their salaries are identical after Ryno took a paycut next season, it's basically a wash from a cap standpoint. From a usefulness standpoint, Ryno is certainly on a higher tier than Knight even if we needed depth at the 1. That being said, we needed depth at the 4/5 as well with Holmes/Ayton/Bender/Chandler/Ariza manning the big man positions.

So it comes down to Chriss v Melton ultimately for me (and probably most Suns fans). I was never a fan of Chriss, made no secret about that and even though I hoped he would prove me wrong, he never did even when he had the opportunity to. Melton, on the other hand, was always an interesting name pre-draft with a lot of scouts talking about his talent. Given his small sample of SL games, it's hard to pinpoint how ready he is to contribute and having taken a year off makes things even blurrier. But considering we've seen Chriss close up since the 2016 draft, I was more than ready to give up on the guy and to give him up for a talented prospect in Melton is exactly what I had hoped for. And that's really all you can hope for when moving a guy like Chriss and BK, both of whom has had a disappointing tenure with the Suns. The fact that we got back a useful piece in Ryno and a decent prospect in Melton is a good move.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,080

Post#99 » by oddity » Fri Sep 7, 2018 2:25 am

Can I gush a bit more about how Okobo could fit perfectly into a Jazz-type scheme similar to how Igor used Donovan Mitchell. Probably just in a miniature version off the bench for now, but perhaps as a starter later if he makes enough improvement and polish.
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#100 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Sep 7, 2018 7:22 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
bigfoot wrote:

I think this may be true. They were doubting his availability due to health. The Suns need a pg who can go every day. The Rockets need insurance for CP3 and Gordon and then really only the playoffs matter. BK is a much better fit for that

Something changed. One of the guards started playing better, they have someone they think they can get, or they really really like Melton.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Return to Phoenix Suns