ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Re: Official 2018 Yankees Thread 

Post#4201 » by cuyankees » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:19 am

nykfan42 wrote:Losing to the Orioles is awful. Especially losing the lead multiple times yesterday and tonight. Absolutely pathetic. This was a series I thought would be where the Yankees could easily catch up to the Red Sox since there is still a 3 game disparity in total games played between the two teams. So what do they do? They set themselves up for complete embarrassment. Now they are 3.5 games out of the East. There is still a lot of baseball to be played but it's series' like this that you look back on and scratch your head. The Orioles are terrible. Terrible. Their best pitcher has a 4.00 ERA. The rest of the rotation is a joke. It's also not helping that the Red Sox keep winning every game. I'm so heated.

Greg Bird can't make a routine ground ball play at the end of the game. I'm sick of him. He isn't good. He has no upside. He is a liability. A net negative. A loser.

Yikes, your world is burning posts are a bit concerning...Please don’t do something drastic if life throws your lemon 1 day.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#4202 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:49 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Image

*squints eyes and scowls*

“Hello, Newman...”

*scans the room for McDowell spitting from the grassy knoll*
nykfan42
Head Coach
And1: 3,077

Post#4203 » by nykfan42 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:50 pm

cuyankees wrote:
nykfan42 wrote:Losing to the Orioles is awful. Especially losing the lead multiple times yesterday and tonight. Absolutely pathetic. This was a series I thought would be where the Yankees could easily catch up to the Red Sox since there is still a 3 game disparity in total games played between the two teams. So what do they do? They set themselves up for complete embarrassment. Now they are 3.5 games out of the East. There is still a lot of baseball to be played but it's series' like this that you look back on and scratch your head. The Orioles are terrible. Terrible. Their best pitcher has a 4.00 ERA. The rest of the rotation is a joke. It's also not helping that the Red Sox keep winning every game. I'm so heated.

Greg Bird can't make a routine ground ball play at the end of the game. I'm sick of him. He isn't good. He has no upside. He is a liability. A net negative. A loser.

Yikes, your world is burning posts are a bit concerning...Please don’t do something drastic if life throws your lemon 1 day.

Haha I'm fine. It's just frustrating. Blowing off some steam.
Make the Knicks great again!
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#4204 » by awy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:33 pm

ppl need to chill. this is still an unbelievably good season. they are turning stone into gold with hicks, drury(15%bb), getting star level rookie in torres, super promising and value raising debuts from andujar, german and frazier looks like he’s figuring it out.

then there is sevy being a solid top 5 sp, judge nearly leading in homers inside outing pitches into right field, stanton in the fold at 22m AAV when 2019 FAs will get 50% more cap hit. the blips like sanchez is whatever, he’ll be fine.

it is still a 105 win team on the way up with absolutely stacked talent.
nykfan42
Head Coach

Post#4205 » by nykfan42 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:09 pm

awy wrote:ppl need to chill. this is still an unbelievably good season. they are turning stone into gold with hicks, drury(15%bb), getting star level rookie in torres, super promising and value raising debuts from andujar, german and frazier looks like he’s figuring it out.

then there is sevy being a solid top 5 sp, judge nearly leading in homers inside outing pitches into right field, stanton in the fold at 22m AAV when 2019 FAs will get 50% more cap hit. the blips like sanchez is whatever, he’ll be fine.

I think the reason for negativity is that despite winning 100+ games they could still be a Wild Card team and have a great season depend on a 1 game playoff.
awy
Sixth Man

Post#4206 » by awy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:12 pm

nykfan42 wrote:
awy wrote:ppl need to chill. this is still an unbelievably good season. they are turning stone into gold with hicks, drury(15%bb), getting star level rookie in torres, super promising and value raising debuts from andujar, german and frazier looks like he’s figuring it out.

I think the reason for negativity is that despite winning 100+ games they could still be a Wild Card team and have a great season depend on a 1 game playoff.

yea it sucks to play the wildcard but when you want to win the ws you have to go through the same teams at the end of the day eventually.

i'm not even worried about the major league club because everything they touch is turning into gold with the exception of gray. their timeline is extremely ahead of schedule because of the big hits on a lot of young players.
nykfan42
Head Coach

Post#4207 » by nykfan42 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:34 pm

awy wrote:
nykfan42 wrote:

yea it sucks to play the wildcard but when you want to win the ws you have to go through the same teams at the end of the day eventually.

i'm not even worried about the major league club because everything they touch is turning into gold with the exception of gray. their timeline is extremely ahead of schedule because of the big hits on a lot of young players.

He has pitched himself out of the rotation to be honest. Severino, Tanaka and CC should be solid for the post season run if they get past the Wild Card.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#4208 » by Mecca » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:17 pm

Mecca wrote:
ag3 wrote:Bring up Frazier. He’s hot and Hicks is a terrible hitter.

this post stinks.

Early May knee jerkers are my favorite.

Aaron Hicks #'s in Mid July.

71 Games - .356 OBP / .514 SLG / .871 OPS / 16 HR's / 7 SB's

Over 142 games, that's 34 HR's / 14 SB's and elite CF defense.

Don't give up on players in May please.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Mecca
RealGM

Post#4209 » by Mecca » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Buttah304 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:
Over 7 seasons, Didi Gregorius hits .266...As a full-time starter, he hit for a best .287 with a rookie Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez missing a month (roughly) of the season.

He's currently hitting .260 avg after going 0-30...we ALL know, in THAT stacked line up With Stanton/Torres/Andujar, Didi is going to get hot again and very possibly finish close to .300.

What am I trying to say?

I'm NOT saying Tyler Austin is on the same playing field as Sir Didi.

I'm saying...That line up has Soooo much protection up and down that line up (this IS partially why Neil Walker is hitting), if Tyler Austin gets consistent playing time...it's possible he may sneak in there with a .270 avg. Am I putting all my money on Vegas? No. Obviously. But there's a chance.

And then when he gets misleading numbers, you trade him for an even BETTER asset.

I mean, I don't know why the pounce...it's not a decree or a commandment. It's an outside of the box look at how guys can benefit from a stacked line up.

I'll answer the question for you.

224 career MLB AB's

.230 BA / .293 OBP

take your L and walk it off.

I think its actually funny that you are using career statistics for trying to **** on Detfink's statement when you literally typed on this board the other day that Hicks is a 380 OBP, 850 OPS and 20 SB kind of player. Meanwhile in your world for knowing EXACTLY who a player is going to be let me clue you in on something.

Aaron Hicks career at bats: 1,540

Career Batting Average and On Base Percentage:

.231 BA/ .316 OBP

And I get it, you want to use Hicks 300 AB's last year as some sort of absolute, unequivocal concrete data that speaks to you thinking he is the player you claim he is. But there is an extremely high chance that you are dead wrong. That Hicks is nothing more than a 348 OBP, 244 BA, 780 OPS type of player. The best part is I really don't like Austin AT ALL. I just don't know why the concept of him potentially hitting 270, even when he said he wouldn't bet on that in Vegas would seem to irritate you that much.

Ahhh yes. My favorite thing to do. Find old posts of people berating me, yet being unequivocally incorrect.

Hicks is 45th in the entire MLB for pitchers and hitters combined in WAR.

Hicks is top 30 in OPS in the entire MLB.

Hicks is 25th in SLG.

Hicks is an elite glove with ++ speed.

Tyler Austin is still a career .228 hitter in MLB level in 268 AB's and currently in AAA.
Brooklyn Nets
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,412

Post#4210 » by JXL » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Knee jerk reactions abound. Unfortunately, if the Yanks want a legit shot at winning the division, they must take care of business vs. bad teams. The fact they're 4-5 vs. the Orioles is troublesome. Really good teams don't lose to bad ones.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#4211 » by cuyankees » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:02 pm

NEWSFLASH: Yanks are 2 games out (loss column counts for nitpickers) and the Sox are on a 8 game winning streak. Yanks are facing some tough injuries right now with Torres, Sanchez, etc on the DL and yet they're still 2 games out. There is a lot of bball to be played specifically against the Sox.

Very happy where the Yanks are bc in reality, they're a year ahead of schedule and think they're outperforming what many had expected. Next year, the dynasty begins IMO and anything this year is icing on the cake. Hell, I'm concerned that the Cash may make a rash decision to go for it this year and set the dynasty back. They say patience is a virtue and it truly rings true with this team.
awy
Sixth Man

Post#4212 » by awy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:03 pm

the low contact and homers offense yankees got is higher variance. but i think the increase in groundballs is still the problem.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#4213 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:43 pm

awy wrote:the low contact and homers offense yankees got is higher variance. but i think the increase in groundballs is still the problem.

Free Palestine
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,599

Post#4214 » by bishnykfan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Orioles want Sheffield in any Machado deal. Thanks, but no thanks. If the Yankees want him, just sign him next year. Go add a Happ and a Hand/Britton and I'm good with what we have.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,452

Post#4215 » by damedash09 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Better not give up sheff for somebody you can sign in months and doesn't improve your pitching
awy
Sixth Man

Post#4216 » by awy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:01 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
awy wrote:the low contact and homers offense yankees got is higher variance. but i think the increase in groundballs is still the problem.

Mecca
RealGM

Post#4217 » by Mecca » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:07 pm

bishnykfan wrote:Orioles want Sheffield in any Machado deal. Thanks, but no thanks. If the Yankees want him, just sign him next year. Go add a Happ and a Hand/Britton and I'm good with what we have.

Yeah, basically there is no Machado deal. Britton/Happ is something I've warmed up to at this point. Still rather see Sheffield.

Happ's ERA has balooned to 4.44

I rather trade for Wheeler/Matz.
Brooklyn Nets
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#4218 » by GEOLINK » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:09 pm

This is on par with the Carmelo trade if it happens.

Completely unnecessary and not reasonable.
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,599

Post#4219 » by bishnykfan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Mecca wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:Orioles want Sheffield in any Machado deal. Thanks, but no thanks. If the Yankees want him, just sign him next year. Go add a Happ and a Hand/Britton and I'm good with what we have.

Yeah, basically there is no Machado deal. Britton/Happ is something I've warmed up to at this point. Still rather see Sheffield.

Wheeler/Matz (if they are even available) would cost a lot more then Happ IMO considering they are #1 Mets and #2 not rentals like Happ. Happ has been terrible his last couple of starts which has hurt his ERA but his advanced stats are still very good. It doesn't have to be Happ, just not sure who else is out there at this point. The Yankees should just upgrade where they can. Britton/Hand for Shreve would make the bullpen even nastier. Happ or a comparable SP would upgrade Gray. I'm not ready to give up any of our top minor leaguers for the names that have been written about.

Sheffield should be brought up at some point like we've discussed a bunch already. I would say we would see him by September 1st for the stretch run.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#4220 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:36 pm

bishnykfan wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Wheeler/Matz (if they are even available) would cost a lot more then Happ IMO considering they are #1 Mets and #2 not rentals like Happ. Happ has been terrible his last couple of starts which has hurt his ERA but his advanced stats are still very good. It doesn't have to be Happ, just not sure who else is out there at this point. The Yankees should just upgrade where they can. Britton/Hand for Shreve would make the bullpen even nastier. Happ or a comparable SP would upgrade Gray. I'm not ready to give up any of our top minor leaguers for the names that have been written about.

Sheffield should be brought up at some point like we've discussed a bunch already. I would say we would see him by September 1st for the stretch run.

As I understand it, Sheffield still has control issues. Be careful about throwing him into a late-season pennant race.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks