ImageImageImageImageImage

HezonGOD to New York 1 year/6.5 mil

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Re: HezonGOD to New York 1 year/6.5 mil 

Post#821 » by Cookies4Life » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:16 pm

I love this signing. I've watched a good deal of film on him, and I'm really impressed with his passing ability. He has excellent court vision and he can run the pick and roll very well. Given his size, athleticism and jumper, the idea of him being able to play a 3-5 or 4-5 pick and roll can cause major fits for opposing defenses.

His shot is also a lot better than the statistics reflect. He has good form and repetition on his jumper and is also an excellent FT shooter (usually decent indicator on a player's trajectory as a shooter.)

As many have mentioned, that situation in Orlando was toxic to say the least. That franchise has been in shambles since that Dwight Howard debacle. They've gone through so many coaching changes and it doesn't seem like any of their top guys were able to produce there aside from Gordon.

If he continues to develop and is able to see regular minutes, I don't see why he wouldn't be part of the long term future. He has a very nice skillset that should compliment a lot of the key rotation guys here.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#822 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:24 pm

This signing has me convinced the Knicks are definitely going to cut their losses with Courtney Lee and maybe even Dotson if he doesn't play better during the Summer League tour.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,673

Post#823 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Bklyn&company wrote:Who is our PF?

He should help with passing, floor spacing, ball movement, rebound and go, another shooter... 1 yr contract should motivate him to give it all..

Concerns: can he rebound enough from the PF spot, can he defend PF's/SF's... can he shoot consistently

just guards and forwards, homie. and you'll like it.

hezonja and knox likely run the F spots until KP comes back and one hits the bench. or KP comes back at the 5 and we move kanter and let mitch back KP up.

not even sure if fizdale values a C spot. just throw them out there and let them make basketball plays.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#824 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Bklyn&company wrote:You all know a front line of:

Knox
Hezonja
Kanter

Is terrible defensively ....
well I guess it helps the tank....

LOL

fizdale is going to run them until they have heart attacks
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#825 » by reub » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:This signing has me convinced the Knicks are definitely going to cut their losses with Courtney Lee and maybe even Dotson if he doesn't play better during the Summer League tour.

What happened to Dotson? He just becomes invisible for games.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,351

Post#826 » by F N 11 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Knox
Hezonja
Kanter

LOL

Knox has shown to be better and Hezzi has improved drastically. Kanter is the only thing I don’t like I rather Kornet start and we know Mitch ain’t ready yet. It is what it is Kanter would just be subbed if he ain’t giving effort.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,021

Post#827 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Cookies4Life wrote:I love this signing. I've watched a good deal of film on him, and I'm really impressed with his passing ability. He has excellent court vision and he can run the pick and roll very well. Given his size, athleticism and jumper, the idea of him being able to play a 3-5 or 4-5 pick and roll can cause major fits for opposing defenses.

His shot is also a lot better than the statistics reflect. He has good form and repetition on his jumper and is also an excellent FT shooter (usually decent indicator on a player's trajectory as a shooter.)

As many have mentioned, that situation in Orlando was toxic to say the least. That franchise has been in shambles since that Dwight Howard debacle. They've gone through so many coaching changes and it doesn't seem like any of their top guys were able to produce there aside from Gordon.

If he continues to develop and is able to see regular minutes, I don't see why he wouldn't be part of the long term future. He has a very nice skillset that should compliment a lot of the key rotation guys here.

So...Orlando has been the Knicks. Makes sense.
:beer: RIP mags
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#828 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:12 pm

K P 6 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Knox
Hezonja
Kanter

LOL

Knox has shown to be better and Hezzi has improved drastically. Kanter is the only thing I don’t like I rather Kornet start and we know Mitch ain’t ready yet. It is what it is Kanter would just be subbed if he ain’t giving effort.

inshallah

and if he does give the effort he could probably fetch us something on the trade market.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 934

Post#829 » by tleikheen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:57 pm

It is what it is Kanter would just be subbed if he ain’t giving effort.

so now Kanter doesn't give effort,lol ...the hate is strong

who on the Knicks gives more effort then ?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#830 » by DOT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:00 pm

tleikheen wrote:

On defense?

Everyone
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#831 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:03 pm

K-DOT wrote:
tleikheen wrote:

On defense?

Everyone

That's really unfair.

You could definitely make case for THJr giving less effort on defense :D
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#832 » by DOT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:08 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
tleikheen wrote:

On defense?

Everyone

That's really unfair.

You could definitely make case for THJr giving less effort on defense :D

My sofa gives more effort on defense than Kanter
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
New Knicks
Junior
And1: 190

Post#833 » by New Knicks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:17 pm

I am so excited to see this team play MARIO and Knox together with Kanter and Tim Burke. Frank Mudiay Williams Mitchell off the bench.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#834 » by newyorker4ever » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:03 pm

K-DOT wrote:
tleikheen wrote:

On defense?

Everyone

Nobody on the Knicks gives more effort then Kanter even on defense. His problem isn't effort, it's his instincts and BBIQ on defense but Kanter is all effort all the time. I know it's hard for you Kanter haters to admit this but the truth's the truth.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: HezonGOD to New York 1 year/6.5 mil 

Post#835 » by DOT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:05 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
tleikheen wrote:

On defense?

Everyone

Nobody on the Knicks gives more effort then Kanter even on defense. His problem isn't effort, it's his instincts and BBIQ on defense but Kanter is all effort all the time. I know it's hard for you Kanter haters to admit this but the truth's the truth.
No, it's effort

You don't need iq to know to put your arms up to contest shots. Which he doesn't do

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#836 » by dakomish23 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:12 am

Wonder if they’d ever go really “small” with a

Frank Dotson Knox Mario Troy lineup.

I expect Fiz to do some unconventional things in what should be a rebuilding year.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#837 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:19 am

Nice scouting report from Magic announcer and former NBA and WNBA coach Ritchie Adubato.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/15/the-mario-hezonja-scouting-report-the-flashes-and-the-flaw/

Magic radio analyst Richie Adubato has a Croatian neighbor who gave him a language tip. After every Mario Hezonja 3-pointer, Adubato bellowed, “Gee La Vee, Mario!” on the air.

That’s a Croatian expression for “Bravo.’’ The phrase wasn’t uttered nearly enough during Hezonja’s failed three-year run in Orlando.

Adubato, whose coaching background includes helming the Mavericks, the Magic and the WNBA’s Liberty and Mystics — and stints as an NBA assistant coach for five teams, including the Knicks (1982-1986) — can’t say for certain about Hezonja’s future, but he is a fan of his talent.

“I bet on him turning the corner, but there’s never a guarantee,’’ Adubato told The Post during the Las Vegas summer league. “I’ve seen it go both ways and it’s mainly because of confidence. Can you keep the confidence? Coaches have a lot of say in building [players’] confidence up.’’

“He’s a European,” Adubato said. “They always take time adjusting to our level of play. People don’t realize — they average 18 a game, come in and it’s a big adjustment. He’s very talented, you see why they drafted him. Athletic. [He’s] 6-8, runs the floor well, nice-looking shot, range to shoot the 3. But he had to learn the NBA game. It’s so different. Nowadays, so many great athletes. A lot of times when you’re a star at another place and coming off the bench, it’s a new world for you.”

Until Kristaps Porzingis returns from ACL surgery, Hezonja is the favorite to start at power forward with rookie Kevin Knox at small forward. Hezonja finished last season averaging 9.6 points per game. His career scoring and rebounding averages are, respectively, 6.9 points and 2.8 rebounds in 18.4 minutes per game.

But the biggest concern is he’s always looked slow on defense.

“Defensively he needs some work,’’ Adubato said. “There’s no weakness in his game, except the defensive end. He has to work harder there and it will come, I believe.

“The lateral movement, I don’t see it as being a problem, but may have to work on it. But he’s an athlete. He has to do more drilling and understand how important it is. You play over in Europe and it’s all about offense over there. You average 10 points and play good defense, you won’t get noticed as much if you’re averaging 25 and not playing defense.”

Despite his inconsistency, Hezonja never heard any jeers. Adubato said Hezonja’s case reminded him of former Magic guard J.J. Redick, who took a few years before emerging.

“The fans were always hoping [Mario] was going to continue to develop and get better — never got booed,” Adubato said. “He thrilled them with his long jumpers and, in transition, he can really dunk. He was exciting.”
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#838 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:19 pm

I’m really excited to see what role we give him.
Call me crazy but I could see Fiz giving him the ball a la Lebron. I say becomes an invaluable core piece for us.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#839 » by NYKAL » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:This signing has me convinced the Knicks are definitely going to cut their losses with Courtney Lee and maybe even Dotson if he doesn't play better during the Summer League tour.

man, Dude was so barely average in SL. When Trier is outshining you ...damn. Dude is below Baker imo. I had hopes he'd take a step after putting in the work this offseason. He doesn't look it but, his lack of athleticism, is an issue. He's not especially quick, his shot just don't fall and his defense isn't good enough to excuse his lack of offense. He needs to be sent down until he does more than resemble an NBA player. The One he looks like now sucks too....Shump.
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#840 » by ny-n-md » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:01 pm

K P 6 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Knox
Hezonja
Kanter

LOL

Kornet start? Over Kanter? I know we are excited to have young talented players but Kornet hasn’t proven anything to deserve starting over Kanter. Kanter is a double double post scoring bully which should help get guys shots on the outside. Kornet is a sometime 3 point shot maker. Not a great rebounder. They’re defense is a wash.
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!

Return to New York Knicks