ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA to eliminate one and done rule

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,129

Re: NBA to eliminate one and done rule 

Post#21 » by Fat Kat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:28 pm

K-DOT wrote:I say if they're getting rid of one and done, they should make it so that if you go to college, you have to stay for 2 years before declaring for the draft

Why?
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#22 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Gonna have to change the draft format, the G-League and all that. Teams are gonna be drafting purely on upside and teams won’t get better. I think without the proper funneling and the NBA product will severely suffer.

Remember when all those high school guys were coming out? There were some notable ones of course but what about the Leon Smiths and Lenny Cookes and Qyntel Woods and Kwame Browns of the past NBA makeup? Best case scenario was just on court frustration and growing pains. Worst case, total disaster.

I don’t have it all figured out and yes I do think the NCAA is a sham but I don’t know if I like the idea of an influx of 18 year olds that aren’t ready to be professional anythings. I’m for getting your coin but teams will be spending top five picks on kids that can’t play.

Look at this summer league. All these kids look damn good. A lot of that is a byproduct of a little bit of coaching and a year of maturing some.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#23 » by DOT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I say if they're getting rid of one and done, they should make it so that if you go to college, you have to stay for 2 years before declaring for the draft

Why?

Makes it an actual choice

Like, you can leave from high school and go to the pros, or you can go to school and actually train instead of just going for one year to get it over with
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#24 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:47 pm

awy wrote:make the gleague into a proper development league with more player support and a bit higher pay.

This, 100%
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,909

Post#25 » by stuporman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
stuporman wrote:You think it's bad now with teams having to risk picking unproven kids it will only get worse.

Plus so many of these kids from poorer upbringing who really have no shot at the NBA as young as they are are going to be baited by agents into declaring for the draft then lose out on getting a chance at college and an education.

I'm not sure it will be for the better.

It was fine before the rule, and it’ll be fine after. On average, players that don’t go to school fair a lot better than players that do. Any talk of income and upbringing reeks of racial paternalism. Hockey and baseball do just fine.

There wasn't as many players back then that declared right out of HS and the reason the rule came about was because as the number increased so the risk grew with unproven players and them losing opportunity before they had a chance to mature.

The reason why hockey and baseball is different is the rules, players can get drafted(or not drafted after declaring) and still go to school, so it's apples to oranges. Change that rule and this concern completely goes away since they can go to college if undrafted or by choice.

A league shouldn't be forced to take on players they deem to young for their league. This isn't like the NFL, there are plenty of opportunities to make money playing basketball away from the NBA.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#26 » by SmoothLefty21 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Short term this will help the college game more than the NBA. Long term, it may kill college hoops if a true development league is formed. I'm glad it's finally happening; my interest has waned greatly in college hoops ever since the real Big East was nuked. I hope the NCAA burns in hell, those corrupt crooks.

I would love to see a real development league (say u23) with top prospects getting paid right out of high school. College hoops is a joke, just look at our boy Knox. That year at UK obviously helped but the game is so different in the NBA that these kids are better off learning to play the game the NBA's style as soon as possible.
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#27 » by Fat Kat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

Why?

Makes it an actual choice

Like, you can leave from high school and go to the pros, or you can go to school and actually train instead of just going for one year to get it over with

Or you can go for 1 year, leave and “train” professionally. No need to put arbitrary limits on these kids.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
SmoothLefty21
Starter

Post#28 » by SmoothLefty21 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Starks wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
About damn time

Takes effect when?

Is this where the 2020 draft becomes the deepest of all time?

This is why Philly swiping that PHX 2021 pick for Mikal Bridges was straight savage. Can't believe PHX fell for that.
SmoothLefty21
Starter

Post#29 » by SmoothLefty21 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:16 pm

stuporman wrote:You think it's bad now with teams having to risk picking unproven kids it will only get worse.

Plus so many of these kids from poorer upbringing who really have no shot at the NBA as young as they are are going to be baited by agents into declaring for the draft then lose out on getting a chance at college and an education.

There has already been reform talk that if a player declares for the draft out of HS and isn't selected they will be able to go to college. Will suck for college coaches trying to manage their scholarship allotment but this is about the kids anyway IMO.
SmoothLefty21
Starter

Post#30 » by SmoothLefty21 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Gonna have to change the draft format, the G-League and all that. Teams are gonna be drafting purely on upside and teams won’t get better. I think without the proper funneling and the NBA product will severely suffer.

This should be the opportunity where we kick the tires on a real development system in this country and copy what Europe has been doing with soccer/hoops for a long time. Stop this farce of prep schools, dirty-ass AAU, and college "student-athletes".

The only thing the basketball culture in this country has ever been able to hold over the heads of young prospects is "you may not be able to go to college if you don't do xyz." Let's move beyond that and build a proper youth structure from the time these kids are 13-14. You do that, scouting kids will be much, much easier. Even easier than it is now given how different the college game is from the pro game.
Fat Kat
RealGM

Post#31 » by Fat Kat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:20 pm

stuporman wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

It was fine before the rule, and it’ll be fine after. On average, players that don’t go to school fair a lot better than players that do. Any talk of income and upbringing reeks of racial paternalism. Hockey and baseball do just fine.

There wasn't as many players back then that declared right out of HS and the reason the rule came about was because as the number increased so the risk grew with unproven players and them losing opportunity before they had a chance to mature.

The reason why hockey and baseball is different is the rules, players can get drafted(or not drafted after declaring) and still go to school, so it's apples to oranges. Change that rule and this concern completely goes away since they can go to college if undrafted or by choice.

A league shouldn't be forced to take on players they deem to young for their league. This isn't like the NFL, there are plenty of opportunities to make money playing basketball away from the NBA.

Players can still go to school if they don’t hire an agent. That had nothing to do with why the rule was instituted. Sounds like you made that up.

Furthermore, no one is forcing the league to do anything, but they are choosing to do it.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,544

Post#32 » by Capn'O » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:25 pm

SmoothLefty21 wrote:
BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Gonna have to change the draft format, the G-League and all that. Teams are gonna be drafting purely on upside and teams won’t get better. I think without the proper funneling and the NBA product will severely suffer.

This should be the opportunity where we kick the tires on a real development system in this country and copy what Europe has been doing with soccer/hoops for a long time. Stop this farce of prep schools, dirty-ass AAU, and college "student-athletes".

The only thing the basketball culture in this country has ever been able to hold over the heads of young prospects is "you may not be able to go to college if you don't do xyz." Let's move beyond that and build a proper youth structure from the time these kids are 13-14. You do that, scouting kids will be much, much easier. Even easier than it is now given how different the college game is from the pro game.

Yes.

IMO, there can still be student athletes. But it should be for actual amateurs or people that choose a full education, not a faux minors system.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
SmoothLefty21
Starter

Post#33 » by SmoothLefty21 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:30 pm

Capn'O wrote:IMO, there can still be student athletes. But it should be for actual amateurs or people that choose a full education, not a faux minors system.

Exactly. Essentially what DII and DIII are right now. The levels that have limited travel and off-season demands.

This faux minor league stuff which rakes in billions for everyone except the players has got to die eventually. It's too corrupt and one-sided to last forever.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,195

Post#34 » by Kampuchea » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:34 pm

They should expand that to all people. You are allowed to work without going to college, but if you decide to go to college you are not allowed to get a job until after 2 years minimum.

Unless there’s a good reason to only do it for basketball players?
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#35 » by EchelonNYK » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Players who peaked in HS incoming. I don't know about you, but high schoolers coming directly in the league always made me nervous. LBJ set the bar too high in my opinion. These young men should go to college and get some experience against better competition, and then see where they're at. The NBA is not a developmental league <---I don't know how many times I must say this

Trevon Duval formerly of Duke is a recent prime example of this. Elite HS player who was lucky enough to get accepted by Duke. Came in and had a lackluster year. He then added his name to the draft and went undrafted. Now he's fighting for a job in the Vegas Summer League against other players who won't make it to the NBA.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#36 » by Greenie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:I honestly dont like it. A lot of kids are going to opt out of going to college now. It was better in the past because only 1 or 2 kids here and there would enter...but now with the NBA all about player development and what not, we are going to see a lot more kids being drafted and the NCAA going to take a hit. I enjoy watching these top prospects play college ball.

Honestly, I don’t even care anymore.

They know they need to take their asses to school but they don’t want to. Oh Well.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,909

Post#37 » by stuporman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:45 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
stuporman wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

Players can still go to school if they don’t hire an agent. That had nothing to do with why the rule was instituted. Sounds like you made that up.

Furthermore, no one is forcing the league to do anything, but they are choosing to do it.

I didn't make it up that agents were convincing HS players to declare for the draft, it's agents making it up that the HS player is good enough to get drafted when they aren't.

How many HS players were preparing for the draft without signing with an agent or not accepting any money whatsoever that would make them ineligible for college ball? Not many.

It's not me saying out of nowhere, it's what's been happening. Sure, they could just declare and not get involved with agents or handlers or whatever but that's not what they are doing.

The league can just decide to not allow players they deem to young to play, why are people crying about them 'preventing' players from earning a living? Go play elsewhere and earn a check, the NBA doesn't owe them an opportunity at 18.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#38 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:54 pm

KnicksFTW wrote:Not really for this rule. They added this because the drafts started putting out more busts from HS than players and they realized it was ineffective...but history repeats itself.

It's really the fault of the GM's though. The problem is the premium value goes to the "high ceiling" guys. Big picture, if this is all done right, then there will not be an issue. If there is a true minor league full of 1/2 guys still very good but not NBA good and 1/2 prospects/developing players it will be it's own market.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,163

Post#39 » by Im Coming Home » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:00 am

We've been drafting 18 year olds the last 2 years anyways, so its not like it really effected us.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#40 » by N8isScofield » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:06 am

Makes zero sense. No blue chip HS player would go to college then. They already weren't happy with one and done. Now they're going to sign up for a mandatory 2 and done?

Return to New York Knicks