Re: NFLPA Files Grievance Over Anthem Policy

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

NFLPA Files Grievance Over Anthem Policy 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:52 pm

The NFL Players Association filed a non-injury grievance Tuesday challenging the legitimacy of the NFL's new national anthem policy on several grounds.

"The union's claim is that this new policy, imposed by the NFL's governing body without consultation with the NFLPA, is inconsistent with the collective bargaining agreement and infringes on player rights," the NFLPA said in a statement.

The NFLPA, which was not consulted about the anthem policy change, argues in its grievance that peaceful demonstration during the anthem does not qualify as "conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League."

Via Dominique Foxworth/ESPN

Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#2 » by Barcs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:57 pm

Good. What took them so long? The way Trump is **** up this country, everyone should be protesting the flag. We are spiraling down hill. Separation of church and state is good as gone. Freedom of speech will be next and all those trumper ass clowns will stand by idly as it happens.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Post#3 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:39 am

Barcs wrote:Good. What took them so long? The way Trump is **** up this country, everyone should be protesting the flag. We are spiraling down hill. Separation of church and state is good as gone. Freedom of speech will be next and all those trumper ass clowns will stand by idly as it happens.

They're filing a grievance that they are not being given free air time to make political protests at their place of employment. You can't make this **** up. They are still being given a platform to protest during their work time by staying in the locker room. You know it will be reported. These guys should protest on their own time. Not on the time they are being paid to represent their employers.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:33 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Barcs wrote:Good. What took them so long? The way Trump is **** up this country, everyone should be protesting the flag. We are spiraling down hill. Separation of church and state is good as gone. Freedom of speech will be next and all those trumper ass clowns will stand by idly as it happens.

They're filing a grievance that they are not being given free air time to make political protests at their place of employment. You can't make this **** up. They are still being given a platform to protest during their work time by staying in the locker room. You know it will be reported. These guys should protest on their own time. Not on the time they are being paid to represent their employers.

I’m pretty sure the game hasn’t started when the anthem is taking place so that looks like their own time in my books. You can pretend that the national anthem has something to do with football but id strongly argue that you’re wrong.

And yes, protesters like to use platforms so thst their message reaches as many people as possible. That’s been going on since the beginning of time.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#5 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:43 pm

The_Hater wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I’m pretty sure the game hasn’t started when the anthem is taking place so that looks like their own time in my books. You can pretend that the national anthem has something to do with football but id strongly argue that you’re wrong.

And yes, protesters like to use platforms so thst their message reaches as many people as possible. That’s been going on since the beginning of time.

Every practice they are on their employers time. They are in uniform so they are on their employers time. The cameras are rolling they are on their employers time.
The_Hater

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:53 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:They're filing a grievance that they are not being given free air time to make political protests at their place of employment. You can't make this **** up. They are still being given a platform to protest during their work time by staying in the locker room. You know it will be reported. These guys should protest on their own time. Not on the time they are being paid to represent their employers.

Every practice they are on their employers time. They are in uniform so they are on their employers time. The cameras are rolling they are on their employers time.

We can disagree in that.

Even if you’re right, that doesn’t mean the employer is free to command the employees to do whatever he wants them too. You realize that I hope? These are contract employees with union support and unless it’s written in the player’s contract ‘no kneeling during the anthem’ I’m pretty certain they can’t tell the otherwise. The owners are going to lose this one.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#7 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:56 pm

The_Hater wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
The_Hater wrote:.

We can disagree in that.

Even if you’re right, that doesn’t mean the employer is free to command the employees to do whatever he wants them too. You realize that I hope? These are contract employees with union support and unless it’s written in the player’s contract ‘no kneeling during the anthem’ I’m pretty certain they can’t tell the otherwise. The owners are going to lose this one.

Sure we can disagree about anything we want to disagree about. However your statement makes me laugh. If I'm doing political protests on my employers time not only would I get fired they would have every right to fire me. NFL players can't even wear a headband with "Hi Mom" on it. The employers have the right to require that. The NFL Broadcasts are the property of the employer. How much more so do the employers have the right to say no political protests during their broadcast. Despite this they are still allowing the players to do political protests by staying in the locker room. They are being liberal allowing that.
The_Hater

Post#8 » by The_Hater » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:09 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Every practice they are on their employers time. They are in uniform so they are on their employers time. The cameras are rolling they are on their employers time.

We can disagree in that.

Sure we can disagree about anything we want to disagree about. However your statement makes me laugh. If I'm doing political protests on my employers time not only would I get fired they would have every right to fire me. NFL players can't even wear a headband with "Hi Mom" on it. The employers have the right to require that. The NFL Broadcasts are the property of the employer. How much more so do the employers have the right to say no political protests during their broadcast. Despite this they are still allowing the players to do political protests by staying in the locker room. They are being liberal allowing that.

It remains to be seen if the employer can command that or not. There are detailed contracts between both the players and teams as well as the players union and the league and I’ve yet to see or read anywhere that it’s written in any of those contracts that the players can’t do a silent protest during the anthem. If it was, the owners would have enforced the rules a long time ago. Instead they’re trying to make up a new rule on the fly which will likely end up in the courts when it’s all said and done.

So I’m pretty sure the owners are going to lose this one even if it makes you laugh, and then it will be part of the negotiations in the next contract.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#9 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:17 pm

The_Hater wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
We can disagree in that.

It remains to be seen if the employer can command that or not. There are detailed contracts between both the players and teams as well as the players union and the league and I’ve yet to see or read anywhere that it’s written in any of those contracts that the players can’t do a silent protest during the anthem. If it was, the owners would have enforced the rules a long time ago. Instead they’re trying to make up a new rule on the fly which will likely end up in the courts when it’s all said and done.

So I’m pretty sure the owners are going to lose this one even if it makes you laugh, and then it will be part of the negotiations in the next contract.

The employers aren't saying the players can't do a silent protest during the anthem. They are 100% allowing it by letting the players remain in the locker room during this time. However, once again if the owners have the right to not allow players to write Hi Mom on their headbands then they certainly have the right to say no political protests during our broadcast. It is the employers broadcast. They own it. They have every right to determine what is on the broadcast. This is no different than a TV show let's say CSI determining what goes on the air during their broadcast. They are not making up a new rule. They are defining the old rule.
The_Hater

Post#10 » by The_Hater » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:01 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Sure we can disagree about anything we want to disagree about. However your statement makes me laugh. If I'm doing political protests on my employers time not only would I get fired they would have every right to fire me. NFL players can't even wear a headband with "Hi Mom" on it. The employers have the right to require that. The NFL Broadcasts are the property of the employer. How much more so do the employers have the right to say no political protests during their broadcast. Despite this they are still allowing the players to do political protests by staying in the locker room. They are being liberal allowing that.

The employers aren't saying the players can't do a silent protest during the anthem. They are 100% allowing it by letting the players remain in the locker room during this time. However, once again if the owners have the right to not allow players to write Hi Mom on their headbands then they certainly have the right to say no political protests during our broadcast. It is the employers broadcast. They own it. They have every right to determine what is on the broadcast. This is no different than a TV show let's say CSI determining what goes on the air during their broadcast. They are not making up a new rule. They are defining the old rule.

If it’s not spelled out in the contract with the union then the owners are almost certainly SOL. And the TV networks might want to stop it, I’m sure they do, but they’re likely powerless because their TV contract would be with the league and the owners, not the players union.

And you have no idea if they’re ‘making up a new rule’ unless you’ve read the contract. Whether it seems similar to another rule or seems reasonable to you, the owners or anyone else unless it’s spelled out in the contract they won’t have a leg to stand on. And I’ve yet to see an on-line snap of the part of the contract that supports the owners take in all this so until thst happens I have to assume it doesn’t exist. Facts still matter.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:37 pm

The_Hater wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

If it’s not spelled out in the contract with the union then the owners are almost certainly SOL. And the TV networks might want to stop it, I’m sure they do, but they’re likely powerless because their TV contract would be with the league and the owners, not the players union.

And you have no idea if they’re ‘making up a new rule’ unless you’ve read the contract. Whether it seems similar to another rule or seems reasonable to you, the owners or anyone else unless it’s spelled out in the contract they won’t have a leg to stand on. And I’ve yet to see an on-line snap of the part of the contract that supports the owners take in all this so until thst happens I have to assume it doesn’t exist. Facts still matter.

You are so full of it that it has to be written out in the contract. I'm almost certain they don't have anything in the contract about players taking a crap on the field. I bet the owners are within their rights to fine a player who does so.
Oriole8159
Sophomore
And1: 37

Post#12 » by Oriole8159 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Then give back the $89 Million you agreed to accept from the owners to help fund social justice change.

Can't have it both ways.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#13 » by Barcs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:17 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

No, they get paid to play the game. Their paychecks are written on a per game basis. They don't get paid to stand out in the field and salute the flag. That is done because the NFL has an agreement with the military where the military pays them to promote it.
NFL players are contractors, not employees. There is no reason why that's even part of the event in the first place, it has nothing to do with football. It's politics, so if somebody claims that politics should not be part of football, then they should get rid of the flag ceremony in the first place. Promote the military and patriotism on your own time, right???

Also I was under the impression that individual players could not choose to stay in the locker room. It had to be the whole team or nobody. Am I mistaken about that?
The_Hater

Post#14 » by The_Hater » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:20 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:The employers aren't saying the players can't do a silent protest during the anthem. They are 100% allowing it by letting the players remain in the locker room during this time. However, once again if the owners have the right to not allow players to write Hi Mom on their headbands then they certainly have the right to say no political protests during our broadcast. It is the employers broadcast. They own it. They have every right to determine what is on the broadcast. This is no different than a TV show let's say CSI determining what goes on the air during their broadcast. They are not making up a new rule. They are defining the old rule.

You are so full of it that it has to be written out in the contract. I'm almost certain they don't have anything in the contract about players taking a crap on the field. I bet the owners are within their rights to fine a player who does so.

You clearly don’t understand what contracts are about yet I’m the one full of it? But wait, you’re ‘almost certain’ while providing no proof whatsoever.

So much for having a mature discussion. Have a good life.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#15 » by Barcs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:33 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:The employers aren't saying the players can't do a silent protest during the anthem. They are 100% allowing it by letting the players remain in the locker room during this time. However, once again if the owners have the right to not allow players to write Hi Mom on their headbands then they certainly have the right to say no political protests during our broadcast. It is the employers broadcast. They own it. They have every right to determine what is on the broadcast. This is no different than a TV show let's say CSI determining what goes on the air during their broadcast. They are not making up a new rule. They are defining the old rule.

Taking a crap on the field is public indecency and violates the code of conduct. Their contracts do not say they are required to salute the flag or stand for the anthem. Just because conservative snow flakes are offended by that, doesn't mean it's indecent or wrong. Non violent protest is what this country was founded on. Sometimes you have to ruffle feathers to do that.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#16 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 pm

Barcs wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Taking a crap on the field is public indecency and violates the code of conduct. Their contracts do not say they are required to salute the flag or stand for the anthem.

Nobody is making anybody salute the flag or stand for the anthem.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#17 » by Barcs » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Barcs wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:You are so full of it that it has to be written out in the contract. I'm almost certain they don't have anything in the contract about players taking a crap on the field. I bet the owners are within their rights to fine a player who does so.

Taking a crap on the field is public indecency and violates the code of conduct. Their contracts do not say they are required to salute the flag or stand for the anthem.

Exactly, which is why they are perfectly justified in kneeling in protest. Thanks for making my point for me.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#18 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:39 pm

The_Hater wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

You clearly don’t understand what contracts are about yet I’m the one full of it? But wait, you’re ‘almost certain’ while providing no proof whatsoever.

The Teams/Owners own the broadcasts. What is so hard for you to grasp about that. They have a right to control what is in the broadcast. No I haven't read all the contracts. I don't know for a fact that the contracts don't specifically say anything about crapping on the field. My very strong guess is that they don't.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#19 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Barcs wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Barcs wrote:

Exactly, which is why they are perfectly justified in kneeling in protest. Thanks for making my point for me.

How can you possibly think I'm making a point for you. I'm not making any point for you. They can kneel in protest in the locker rooms with no cameras to record them doing it. The players have zero right to kneel in protest on the field at their place of employment while representing their employers.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#20 » by Barcs » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:10 am

KGdaBom wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:You are so full of it that it has to be written out in the contract. I'm almost certain they don't have anything in the contract about players taking a crap on the field. I bet the owners are within their rights to fine a player who does so.

The Teams/Owners own the broadcasts. What is so hard for you to grasp about that. They have a right to control what is in the broadcast. No I haven't read all the contracts. I don't know for a fact that the contracts don't specifically say anything about crapping on the field. My very strong guess is that they don't.

Actually the TV networks and FCC control the broadcasts. The Owners have nothing to do with that, they just get a portion of the profits.

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion