ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA to eliminate one and done rule

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Re: NBA to eliminate one and done rule 

Post#41 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:19 am

they should adjust rookie contracts as well

there are just gonna be more and more raw HS recruits now so teams are gonna sink years into their development and be faced with a player about to be worth something when his contract is up

also there are gonna be a lot of players drafted on pure conjecture without the college game as a measuring stick

in truth this might make the late lottery and post lottery picks much more valuable

and superstar college athletic programs worthless
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Post#42 » by Jonathan starks » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:21 am

AAU gonna to be even bigger
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,117

Post#43 » by twix2500 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:32 am

Is it exciting to fans to see a highschoolers get drafted then put in G League for 3 yrs then sign with another two or 3 teams before he develops?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,097

Post#44 » by Fat Kat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:43 am

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,866

Post#45 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:40 am

NoLayupRule wrote:they should adjust rookie contracts as well

there are just gonna be more and more raw HS recruits now so teams are gonna sink years into their development and be faced with a player about to be worth something when his contract is up

also there are gonna be a lot of players drafted on pure conjecture without the college game as a measuring stick

in truth this might make the late lottery and post lottery picks much more valuable

It would be interesting if the NBA counted playing in college as years of experience and paid guys more who went to school. If a HS rookie picked mid draft gets 1 mil, a college sr at that same pick should get 1.5
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#46 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:43 am

twix2500 wrote:Is it exciting to fans to see a highschoolers get drafted then put in G League for 3 yrs then sign with another two or 3 teams before he develops?

Knicksfan20 wrote:I honestly dont like it. A lot of kids are going to opt out of going to college now. It was better in the past because only 1 or 2 kids here and there would enter...but now with the NBA all about player development and what not, we are going to see a lot more kids being drafted and the NCAA going to take a hit. I enjoy watching these top prospects play college ball.

Welcome to the Knicks board. Salivating over fringe prospects is its own season over here.

What difference does it make if they play in the G-league or some college I never attended?
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#47 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:46 am

PeoplesChamp wrote:
twix2500 wrote:Is it exciting to fans to see a highschoolers get drafted then put in G League for 3 yrs then sign with another two or 3 teams before he develops?

Knicksfan20 wrote:I honestly dont like it. A lot of kids are going to opt out of going to college now. It was better in the past because only 1 or 2 kids here and there would enter...but now with the NBA all about player development and what not, we are going to see a lot more kids being drafted and the NCAA going to take a hit. I enjoy watching these top prospects play college ball.

Welcome to the Knicks board. Salivating over fringe prospects is its own season over here.

What difference does it make if they play in the G-league or some college I never attended?

It makes the NCAA less entertaining for those that like to watch college basketball.
The KnicksFix
Sixth Man
And1: 1,548

Post#48 » by The KnicksFix » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:16 am

the young talent that comes in takes so many years to develop, the quality of the game gets tarnished... that being said, yep lebron will play with his son now wow lol
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#49 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:24 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

It makes the NCAA less entertaining for those that like to watch college basketball.

Why is the NBA obligated to make the NCAA more enjoyable for you?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,494

Post#50 » by Capn'O » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:42 am

Fat Kat wrote:Image

Didn't make it to what?

I've seen stats like this that dispel the idea that high schoolers are more likely to bust. I just have no idea what this one means.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#51 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:

It would be interesting if the NBA counted playing in college as years of experience and paid guys more who went to school. If a HS rookie picked mid draft gets 1 mil, a college sr at that same pick should get 1.5
actully I think it would fix both the nba and the NCAA if nba teams could draft a guy and then send him to college. It wouldn’t count on the cap but he would still get paid. He could develop and the team could decide if he stayed or came out. Better than the g league
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#52 » by kane2021 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:02 am

How about a mandatory g league stint? I’m not watching high school basketball to look at draft prospects. It just doesn’t sit right with me. They’re children.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,097

Post#53 » by Fat Kat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:39 am

Capn'O wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:Image

Didn't make it to what?

I've seen stats like this that dispel the idea that high schoolers are more likely to bust. I just have no idea what this one means.

3 years in the league I believe. This is just comparing the players from HS, and these particular schools for years before “one and done” was instituted.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,866

Post#54 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:53 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

actully I think it would fix both the nba and the NCAA if nba teams could draft a guy and then send him to college. It wouldn’t count on the cap but he would still get paid. He could develop and the team could decide if he stayed or came out. Better than the g league

I like that idea, but it doesn't make practical sense to me. In foreign leagues they do something similar with putting guys on loan no? however, it basically kills the facade of student athlete, it creates a disparity for the genders, also will put too many hands in the kitchen perhaps. If Lakers take Ball and want him at UCLA and want him to work on his scoring but UCLA needs him to pass the ball around to win, then there are competing odds. If the NBA wants Ayton shooting 3's, but Arizona needs him to be a behemoth inside, then who wins?
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#55 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:10 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

I like that idea, but it doesn't make practical sense to me. In foreign leagues they do something similar with putting guys on loan no? however, it basically kills the facade of student athlete, it creates a disparity for the genders, also will put too many hands in the kitchen perhaps. If Lakers take Ball and want him at UCLA and want him to work on his scoring but UCLA needs him to pass the ball around to win, then there are competing odds. If the NBA wants Ayton shooting 3's, but Arizona needs him to be a behemoth inside, then who wins?

Part of the appeal he’s doing away with the fallacy of the student athlete

There’s already so much money and so much disparity in so much gender bias going on in college sports that destroying the whole system is the best thing that can happen to it.

As far as the practicality of how a player plays, I think that would just fall on the coach of the college team. There’s influence I’m sure between the NBA and the G league coaching styles but if you opt to leave your player in college then you’re on the risks and rewards that come with that. He gets trained by these great coaches but also runs the risk of learning style that isn’t yours and an injury.

I feel like years ago teams used to draft players that would then come into the NBA years later. I think we drafted bill Bradley before he came to the NBA by several years
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#56 » by earthmansurfer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 am

Well said. This opens up a whole new level of player development and more importantly SCOUTING. It becomes a bit like baseball, where you are going to have to rely more on scouting (high schoolers) and less on "proven" products (college to a point).

This is actually really exciting for me and probably most fans. Look at how the NBA draft is such a fun time of the year. Now imagine following young guys even more and watching them progress. And now the G league, or whatever it becomes, is like a mini NBA in and of itself.

We have to get these picks right though. And boy is 2021 going to be an exciting year. And also consider, because of the influx of high school talent that year, the year(s) before, is going to see players NOT wait an extra year as the following drafts will be flooded with talent. Really, we need to put everything we have into getting this right.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Re: RE: Re: NBA to eliminate one and done rule 

Post#57 » by blanko » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:24 am

EchelonNYK wrote:Players who peaked in HS incoming. I don't know about you, but high schoolers coming directly in the league always made me nervous. LBJ set the bar too high in my opinion. These young men should go to college and get some experience against better competition, and then see where they're at. The NBA is not a developmental league <---I don't know how many times I must say this

Trevon Duval formerly of Duke is a recent prime example of this. Elite HS player who was lucky enough to get accepted by Duke. Came in and had a lackluster year. He then added his name to the draft and went undrafted. Now he's fighting for a job in the Vegas Summer League against other players who won't make it to the NBA.
Thus the developmental league

Sent from my LGM-V300K using Tapatalk
blanko
Starter

Post#58 » by blanko » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:25 am

N8isScofield wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I say if they're getting rid of one and done, they should make it so that if you go to college, you have to stay for 2 years before declaring for the draft

Makes zero sense. No blue chip HS player would go to college then. They already weren't happy with one and done. Now they're going to sign up for a mandatory 2 and done?
College should be for HS guys who aren't talented or skilled enough to get drafted.

blanko
Starter

Post#59 » by blanko » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 am

Rookie contracts should be expanded to 5~6 years with team options after 3

blanko
Starter

Post#60 » by blanko » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:27 am

Knicksfan20 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

**** college basketball where eveyrone but the player gets professional salaries

Return to New York Knicks