One year later, who won the Lakers-Nets trade?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who won trade?

Lakers
57%
Nets
21%
Still too early
21%

Total votes: 412

TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Re: One year later, who won the Lakers-Nets trade? 

Post#281 » by TheRealKaboom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:35 am

Smitson wrote:Nets got DLO and already dumped Moz, all for a late first.

It’s the Nets easily.

Nets got DLO and the Lakers got LeBron James and Kyle Kuzma. And yet "it's the Nets easily".

We gotchu.
Smitson
Starter
And1: 2,945

Post#282 » by Smitson » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:39 am

TheRealKaboom wrote:

It’s the Nets easily.

Nets got DLO and the Lakers got LeBron James and Kyle Kuzma. And yet "it's the Nets easily".

We gotchu.

Strange I don’t recall LeBron being involved in the trade :lol:.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,335

One year later, who won the Lakers-Nets trade? 

Post#283 » by Phish Tank » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:07 am

Lakers pretty much won the trade. Outside of being able to get Bron in the end of it all, the cost of unloading the contract was taking on brook’s 1 year contract and trading DLo, but that was nullified by getting Kuz. DLo’s value wasn’t as high then - esp coming off injury - and his future in LA was over once lonzo became the inevitable pick.

One year later, the nets try to dump that contract and don’t get anything back - in fact they gave up two 2nd round picks. Value wise, they got less than what the lakers got.

Unless the nets make a coup next year in free agency, the lakers win this in a landslide

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#284 » by Dr Aki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:43 am

Smitson wrote:
TheRealKaboom wrote:

It’s the Nets easily.

We gotchu.

Strange I don’t recall LeBron being involved in the trade :lol:.

I don't recall Dwight being in the trade either, but here we are
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,367

Post#285 » by baldur » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:01 am

loserX wrote:I renew my usual objection that no one cares about :D

Picking Kuzma with #27 was independent of the trade, and you shouldn't use it to go back and re-evaluate the trade after the fact. (If the Lakers had instead drafted a complete bust, it wouldn't make the trade retroactively any worse, either.)

If you trade your $20,000 car for a $2 scratch-and-win ticket, that's a bad trade...even if the ticket is a winner. You could have traded the car for $20,000 and still bought that ticket; no matter whether you won or lost, you're down $19,998 from where you should be.

Don't conflate independent events! The Lakers winning by getting great value for #27 doesn't affect whether the original trade is better or worse.

I regretted voting for la after reading this.
LAL
Sixth Man
And1: 2,860

Post#286 » by LAL » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:13 am

baldur wrote:

Picking Kuzma with #27 was independent of the trade, and you shouldn't use it to go back and re-evaluate the trade after the fact. (If the Lakers had instead drafted a complete bust, it wouldn't make the trade retroactively any worse, either.)

If you trade your $20,000 car for a $2 scratch-and-win ticket, that's a bad trade...even if the ticket is a winner. You could have traded the car for $20,000 and still bought that ticket; no matter whether you won or lost, you're down $19,998 from where you should be.

Don't conflate independent events! The Lakers winning by getting great value for #27 doesn't affect whether the original trade is better or worse.

I regretted voting for la after reading this.

In poker, if I have pocket Aces and I get it all in versus 7-2 offsuit preflop, I made a good decision/the better bet. If the board comes 77722, I lose. Just because I made a good bet at the time of the deal does not mean I cannot lose. Nets may have got better value than the Lakers, which is debatable, but it is pretty clear the end result is the Nets lost.

Since we are talking about today, we can see how the board ran out, and can use the last year of information to gauge who actually won, not who made the better decision. We are well past the stage of trying to determine who made the better bet, it is no longer relevant. If you want to discuss quality of decision making, then value at the time of the deal is relevant. Since we are discussing the actual result, value at the time of the deal is not relevant.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#287 » by loserX » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:34 am

getitdone323 wrote:Lebron would not be a laker if Maglinka did not make this trade. The still have flexibility to trade or sign another or multiple player next year.

Lock this thread.

Did you really resurrect a thread that had been dead almost two months to say "lock this thread"?

Seems counterproductive.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#288 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:36 am

The team that got LeBron. /thread
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
2klegend
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#289 » by 2klegend » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:22 am

Cut the crap debate out. We're talking about a guy who is a 15PER and 50 ts% gift scorer in his 3rd season here.

Technically speaking, the Nets took in DLO and giving up a late 1st and two 2nd round picks (the price to dump Moz). It will remain to be seen if DLO can raise his productivity above an average player. Next year will tell us the story whether they succeed or not.

For the Lakers, the main reason for dumping DLO is redundancy at the PG and ability to have cap flexibility by dumping Moz. The late 1st is a bonus which as everyone said, cannot be counted. But so far, I must say the Lakers are winning that trade. The Lakers still maintain cap flexibility and having a late 1st that turn into a potential asset in Kuzma certainly make things easier to swallow for Lakers fan. If DLO turns out to be a bust, the Lakers fan should pop a champagne but that remain to be seen.
My Top 100+ GOAT (Peak, Prime, Longevity, Award):
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1464952
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#290 » by Vae Victus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:07 am

The only thing i regret as a Laker fan is that we didnt throw in Deng instead of Mozgov. I'm pretty confident that the Nets would still say yes, since it's not like Mozgov was worth a damn either nor care about the small increase in salary for the years that theyre not being competitive anyway, and DLo being the prize of the trade they were salivating over.

Seeing Mozgov get traded twice this offeason meant his slightly smaller deal is easier to trade.

Imagine if Kupchak was willing to do his former team a favor (doubtful but lets just say for a fun hypothetical), Mozgov + 2 SRP + Cash for DHo. We can either keep (hahahah) or buy him out. Voila we just created 16m cap space in 2019 at the cost of 2 SRP + Cash.

Heh although imagine if we did keep him.

C - DHo, McGee, Zubac
PF- Lebron, Kuzma, Wagner
SF- Ingram, Lance (signed using Room Exception since difference in salary between Moz/DHo woulda capped us out)
SG- KCP, Hart, Mykhailuik
PG- Lonzo, Rondo

If DHo keeps his head screwed on straight, we might actually be able to do some damage in the playoffs. I mean swapping out Deng for DHo in this hypothetical woulda been nuts.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#291 » by tribulations » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:40 am

I'm saving this analysis for all future trade reviews where picks are involved. Couldn't have put it better myself :lol:
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#292 » by NCHeels2008 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 am

at the time it seemed equal value maybe a slight Nets win, but another year of information on DLo, the escalating price for dumping 3 yr bad contracts has me choosing the Lakers
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#293 » by cruwinas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:53 am

LAL. Getting rid of Mozgov's contract is an achievement in itself.
:crazy:
Sulico
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,295

Post#294 » by Sulico » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:15 pm

D'Angelo Russell can't shoot from any range, can't pass, can't defend, only thing he's pretty solid at is rebounding. I see getting rid of his 6 million salary as another plus for Lakers, so ofcourse they won that trade.
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#295 » by Joest2003 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Lakers got rid of the snitch. The value of that is priceless.

I remember ppl saying that everyone will forget about him snitching on Nick Young. Well it's now years later and it's still the first thing I think about when I see Dlo. I'm sure the rest of the league feel s the same way.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,548

Post#296 » by Capn'O » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Different teams accomplishing different objectives.

Lakers needed cap space and the Nets needed young talent. The fact that DLo hasn't worked out for them makes it a bad trade for the Nets so far. The Lakers made pretty good hay with their draft pick and asset.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,548

Post#297 » by Capn'O » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Joest2003 wrote:Lakers got rid of the snitch. The value of that is priceless.

I remember ppl saying that everyone will forget about him snitching on Nick Young. Well it's now years later and it's still the first thing I think about when I see Dlo. I'm sure the rest of the league feel s the same way.

That wouldn't be true if Russell was good yet.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Smitson
Starter
And1: 2,945

Post#298 » by Smitson » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Russell isn't worth a late first and two second round picks around here?

He has the potential to make the trade a steal for the Nets.
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,363

Post#299 » by nbafan38 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:06 pm

Too early to tell we still don't know how good D' Angelo Russell will be and/or if the nets will keep him longterm. Right now its loooking like a win for the lakers but it's early still.
LoveTheNBA23
Senior
And1: 678

Post#300 » by LoveTheNBA23 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Lakers easily.

Funny thing is that there is a chance that D'Lo may not even be a Net after this season. They aren't negotiating an extension with him and rightfully so. He hasn't deserved it. He needs to prove he can stay healthy and lower his usage rate while increasing his efficiency.

With their two max plan in 2019, they would have to renounce his cap hold to sign the two. If they don't get the big fish, he's restricted so it's up to the market to dictate his price.

Return to The General Board