The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,650

Re: 2018 Spurs in Summer League 

Post#62 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:53 pm

Commentators: "I like the ball movement here from the Spurs." Sounds about right!

A couple of Lonnie highlights from the first half:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#63 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Sloppy start to the second half for us: some passes that should have been shots, some turnovers, some easy misses and we're down 11.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#64 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:41 pm

The closest we'd brought their lead down to was 11, then down 17 with just under four minutes to go, we went on a 10-0 run, and it's finally a game. Felt like running in circles through tar at one point, so it's good to see us getting stops, running properly out in transition - pace and space - hitting 3s and Js, and driving into the key for FTs. Some cohesion and fight and life.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#65 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:42 pm

Canuck with back-to-back 3s. Big shooting, and a big block by Brimah that got called for a foul boo!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#66 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Too little too late, but a good fight by us to bring it to within three, before conceding the game by six, 95-89.

Some thoughts: Walker's getting comfortable quite quickly, he's so smooth and has good D instincts for steals, and great body control in drive finishes in transition. Silky shot, too.

Blossomgame has the potential to contribute, but he's still a bit of a Jekyll / Hyde in terms of doing (or not) little things; blocks, runs in transition, finishes putbacks, hits shots, but also has head down into the key at times, loses ball in his feet. But it's looked more prominent in this game, so I don't want to make too fine a point of it.

Brimah - I like his fight on both ends, great blocker and putbacks.

Hanlon's 3s were timely and gutsy to bring us back. Good to see.

We really missed Metu and White. Metu, though he's a rookie, just knows how to play, where to be on both ends, and affects the game positively. White's steadying presence was a big missing factor for us. It just goes to show how important it is to have a floor general who is calm and confident, and can run plays and lead the team in a re-group. These are such important skills for PGs to develop, and White's progress has been noticeable not just in his presence, but in his absence as well. Looking forward to seeing how he does at the next level.

Team-wide we looked too out of sync and sort of running through the motions for long stretches; there wasn't that one guy or spark to bring the energy and focus together. It was there early, and finally came back at around the four minute mark left. Sloppy is one thing, not as much effort and team play for too-long a stretch is another. We have to keep it simple and work on putting guys in the right position to score, one play at a time.

When we decided to lock in, we did find the open player, make the extra pass, get the O rebound, block on D (though we got caught too much on P&Rs, too, but good recovery). We can do better, and hopefully keep up the energy throughout the game.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#67 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:01 am

Summer school in session for Spurs rookie Walker
The Spurs’ game against Portland in the Las Vegas Summer League was threatening to get out of hand early in the third quarter Tuesday. The Trail Blazers converted a flurry of Spurs turnovers to start the second half into a parade of easy baskets, turning what had been a tight game at intermission into a potential laugher. If ever Will Hardy wanted to channel his inner Gregg Popovich, this was the time. One problem.

“I don’t know any Serbian,” Hardy said.

Hardy instead continued to coach his team in PG-rated English. The Spurs rallied to make a game of things before falling 95-89 at UNLV’s Cox Pavilion. "The guys played hard,” Hardy said. “It’s frustrating when they don’t play the whole 48 minutes hard.”

No student on the roster stands to learn more than 19-year-old rookie Lonnie Walker IV. In a sense, Walker presented a microcosm of the Spurs’ afternoon in Vegas. He played well, but only in spurts.... Walker started hot, producing 12 first-half points while adding a few more slides to the daily highlight reel he is piecing together in the desert. He scored zero points in the second half, as Portland adjusted its defense to target him.

Walker also is beginning to realize there is more than one way to assert himself on a basketball game.

“It’s more about my defense than my offense,” Walker said. “I couldn’t care less about my offense right now. As long as I’m giving 110 percent on the defensive end, that’s what makes you a Spur.”

Hardy echoed the same. Asked what kind of lessons the Spurs staff is impressing upon its latest prodigy, Hardy said “attention to detail on defense.”

“A huge part of our program is defense,” Hardy said. “Coach Pop takes the defensive end very seriously. (Walker) is going to have to continue to communicate more on that end and stick to the details.”

https://www.expressnews.com/spurs-nation/article/Summer-school-in-session-for-Spurs-rookie-Walker-13064507.php
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#68 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30 pm

When I saw this happen I hoped it wouldn't be bad (Chimezie looked to be in pain), but it looks as if Spurs are in fact keeping him out of SL out of an abundance of caution:

Spurs' pick Metu shelved in Vegas
Spurs second-round pick Chimezie Metu is likely finished with NBA Summer League after suffering what team doctors believe might be a fracture in his left wrist.

Metu was injured late in the Spurs' 95-90 win over Washington on Sunday, when he landed awkwardly after leaping to catch a lob pass at the rim. The 6-foot-10 big man finished the game, but did not appear in the Spurs' loss to Portland on Tuesday.

After undergoing X-rays on Sunday at UNLV, Metu was diagnosed with a wrist sprain. After Spurs team doctors saw the images, however, they suspected a possible fracture and ordered more tests for Wednesday.

The 48th pick in June's draft out of USC, the high-energy Metu had been one of the standouts of the Spurs' squad at summer leagues in Utah and, for two games, in Las Vegas. He averaged 10.7 points, 8.3 rebounds and a block in three games in Salt Lake City, following that up with 12.5 points and 6.5 rebounds in two appearances in Vegas.

Metu said he understands the team's caution, but is disappointed he can't finish out his time in Las Vegas.

"I'm kind of bummed," Metu said. "They're being cautious for good reasons. I trust them. At the same time, I feel like there's a lot more I could go out there and show."

I'm kind of bummed. Like I said, they're being cautious for good reasons. I just trust them."

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-pick-Metu-shelved-in-Vegas-13067633.php
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#69 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:32 pm

Our next SL game is tomorrow (July 12) "@" Bucks at 8pm (Eastern).

Here's a schedule for other games as well: http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2018/schedule
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#70 » by G R E Y » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:27 am

Derrick White is getting some much deserved recognition for his improved play. Hopefully he heals up quickly. Looking forward to seeing his game translate at the next level.

The Summer League Leap: Second-Year Players Making an Impact in Las Vegas
DERRICK WHITE, SPURS

The 29th pick in last year’s draft out of Colorado, White was a former Division-II star who broke out in his lone Pac-12 season and has clearly benefitted from his time spent learning the game over the last year. He played in just 17 games with the Spurs as a rookie, but has improved at a rapid rate as someone who’d had relatively little exposure to high-level basketball prior to being drafted. At age 24, he’s the type of versatile combo guard most teams can find a place for, and looks poised to deliver value on his draft slot.

Read on Twitter

Earlier in the week, he led the Utah Summer League in scoring, averaging an eye-popping 23 points, 7.0 assists and 6.7 rebounds in three games, and then adding 19, five and five against the Pacers on Saturday. He is a capable playmaker and an athletic, downhill scorer. While some of the stats are inflated by opportunity and role, there’s a level of poise and consistency to his play that portends good things whenever he arrives in a full-fledged role for the Spurs. It should be sooner than later, at this rate.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/07/09/second-year-players-making-impact-nba-summer-league-jonathan-isaac-john-collins?xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=sinow
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#71 » by Jstock12 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:15 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's just summer league, but... That putback was all effort and going the extra mile. Great game sense. I honestly think Walker will be a successful player in this league. It still remains to be seen whether his ceiling is a solid role player or a star... But it's definitely encouraging what he's doing in the SL. He could be a major steal for you guys.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#72 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:14 am

Jstock12 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's just summer league, but... That putback was all effort and going the extra mile. Great game sense. I honestly think Walker will be a successful player in this league. It still remains to be seen whether his ceiling is a solid role player or a star... But it's definitely encouraging what he's doing in the SL. He could be a major steal for you guys.

Yeah that's fair. It's the context for all the new players, really, but better to see improvement than struggle, right? I think at this point, it's about implementing the fundamentals and seeing how he responds to his new responsibilities within our way of playing. He comes across as a balanced, well-spoken, motivated, team-oriented, and coachable young man, which itself is refreshing. Looking forward to seeing his game develop within the Spurs system.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#73 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:16 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#74 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:28 am

I like that Lonnie looks for the open man - if I had to be splitting hairs, maybe he's being a little too unselfish in passing up open shots, but team mates are hitting them, so good play lol. I'd like to see his movement without the ball be a bit more engaged (sometimes he stands around a bit watching the play, but again, he's 19 and it's early, just observations while watching).

Hanlan is great at getting to the open pockets and hitting his open shots.

Ledbetter understands the game, sees open players for good passes, grinds every play.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#75 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:37 am

Except for a couple of P&R breakdowns, I like our D movement, getting to spots, contesting lanes, quick feet, lateral movement, active disruptive hands, and communicating well.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#76 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:47 am

We're getting trounced in transition and rebounding...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#77 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:54 am

We brought it to within three, but a couple of bad shots and passes that turned into points the other way and:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#78 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:12 am

We look a bit out of sync running set ups for Js, but are clicking for inside shots. Good to see some cohesion. Just goes to show how important a facilitating PG is.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#79 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:30 am

Beautiful Lonnie drive and kick for a Hanlan 3 to tie the game 65 all. Lonnie's got that extra gear, decisiveness of when to drive, and good vision in seeing the openings in the D and also in where teammates are. Nice possession.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#80 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:37 am

I hope to God Lonnie's OK.

Blossomgame with a 3 for our first lead with over two minutes to go...

EDIT: Lonnie's got an ankle sprain. Tweaked the same one he did in the Utah SL. Won't return today, but hopefully it's not too bad.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs