ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Sign Allonzo Trier to 2-Way Contract

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Re: Knicks Sign Allonzo Trier to 2-Way Contract 

Post#161 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Jul 9, 2018 5:50 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:In the two games I’ve watched trier I’ve been very unimpressed

He’s a capable scorer. However he seems to think he’s better than he is.

He reminds me of Street ball guys I’ve played with or against who miss a shot and stand there in disbelief so everyone else knows that he usually never misses.

I’ve seen multiple plays from this kid where he holds his follow through and stares at the shot instead of getting back on d or following his shot.

I hate that.

And he does nothing else. No passing. No defense.

Trier to me looks like a guy who will put up some points in the g league and then have a couple seasons playing abroad.

He’s not Knick quality.

He made a great defensive play towards the end of that game last night and i've seen him play defense in other plays as well. He might not consistently play defense but he does play it when he wants to.

he made one defensive stand. I remember that. And afterwards he acted like he single handedly stopped the levees from breaking

not impressed
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#162 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Jul 9, 2018 5:51 pm

whocares1 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:In the two games I’ve watched trier I’ve been very unimpressed

He’s a capable scorer. However he seems to think he’s better than he is.

He reminds me of Street ball guys I’ve played with or against who miss a shot and stand there in disbelief so everyone else knows that he usually never misses.

I’ve seen multiple plays from this kid where he holds his follow through and stares at the shot instead of getting back on d or following his shot.

I hate that.

And he does nothing else. No passing. No defense.

Trier to me looks like a guy who will put up some points in the g league and then have a couple seasons playing abroad.

He’s not Knick quality.

What’s Knick quality?

If you dont know what I mean, or if you want to pretend you dont, then you dont deserve me to explain it to you
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#163 » by NYKAL » Mon Jul 9, 2018 5:54 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Lot of guys who were undrafted are desperate and so, guys like Trier are going to shoot first.

16 shots and ZERO assists? I just can't imagine that. Everyone knows he can score and I also can't imagine that the staff didn't ask him to work on passing some. I mean, after all Coach is about positionless ball.

HE had 4 assists in the game
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#164 » by earthmansurfer » Mon Jul 9, 2018 6:09 pm

NYKAL wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Lot of guys who were undrafted are desperate and so, guys like Trier are going to shoot first.

16 shots and ZERO assists? I just can't imagine that. Everyone knows he can score and I also can't imagine that the staff didn't ask him to work on passing some. I mean, after all Coach is about positionless ball.

HE had 4 assists in the game

I was talking about the last game, not first game. Look at the box score.
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#165 » by 2010 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:44 am

The Knicks were hot on Trier’s tail. In fact, Trier said he believed the Knicks considered him at 36. According to sources, the Knicks indeed would have drafted him had center Mitchell Robinson not fallen to them. As reported back then, general manager Scott Perry left the Knicks’ West coast trip in March to scout Trier in Arizona.

Sources said two teams, late in the second round, were willing to take a flier on Trier if he were willing to take a two-way contract. Trier’s representatives preferred at that juncture to go undrafted and become a free agent, knowing the Knicks would grab him.

According to sources, the Knicks have worked exclusively with Trier at moving the ball and seeing the court to enhance his sniper capabilities. He’s already an adept long-range shooter who can draw fouls in penetration.

However, there could be a scenario in which, if he excels in Westchester, the Knicks eventually move Courtney Lee and Damyean Dotson and Ron Baker regress, a 15-man roster spot would open for Trier.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/11/knicks-long-shot-is-already-showing-he-can-fix-biggest-minus/

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,867

Post#166 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:01 am

Trier was jacking and all that, but I'll wait and see how he develops. No point in drawing any conclusions from what was obviously nerves and a happy trigger. He wanted to do well and that was how he thought he would impress people. He was wrong, but he can learn otherwise.
ImageImageImage
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,145

Post#167 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:07 am

Keep him in Westchester until Burke is ready to be paid, cut Burke, promote Trier.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,040

Post#168 » by sol537 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:19 am

Trier has some talent, but he needs work. Worth taking a flier... on trier.
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,878

Post#169 » by Context » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:24 am

I'll take Trier over Dotson all day...
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#170 » by reub » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:11 am

So I'm guessing that two-way doesnt mean offense and defense.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#171 » by HEZI » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:42 am

I like Trier as a combo guard off the bench. Once he settles in he could be a nice weapon to have. Gonna have to live with him being a streaky shooter but I do like his aggressiveness and especially his ability to create separation.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#172 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:51 am

HEZI wrote:I like Trier as a combo guard off the bench. Once he settles in he could be a nice weapon to have. Gonna have to live with him being a streaky shooter but I do like his aggressiveness and especially his ability to create separation.

Was he streaky in college? My impression was this guy was a deadly shooter in college.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#173 » by j4remi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:57 am

The G-league was built for a kid like this. He can get a ton of extra reps and attention to try and learn the mindset that he lacks. If he can understand how to find everyone's rhythm, get them into a flow and choose his opportunities wisely...the skillset is there.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#174 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:07 pm

Trey Burke part 2.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#175 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:13 pm

j4remi wrote:The G-league was built for a kid like this. He can get a ton of extra reps and attention to try and learn the mindset that he lacks. If he can understand how to find everyone's rhythm, get them into a flow and choose his opportunities wisely...the skillset is there.

Yeah I'd let him work on those aspects in the G-league and build up his confidence. I would get him some extensive burn off the ball too.

Honestly though if we are strictly looking at talent he should be on the roster over Baker and Dotson though.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#176 » by j4remi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:38 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
Yeah I'd let him work on those aspects in the G-league and build up his confidence. I would get him some extensive burn off the ball too.

Honestly though if we are strictly looking at talent he should be on the roster over Baker and Dotson though.

Yeah pretty much. I feel the kid needs in game experience to learn the finer things about distributing the rock and shot selection but it would be detrimental to our other developmental pieces if he does that while they need to work on aspects of their game. I seriously see him as a rhythm killer but with flashes of vision, awareness and passing that would be pretty exciting combined with his scoring ability.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#177 » by HEZI » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:07 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
HEZI wrote:I like Trier as a combo guard off the bench. Once he settles in he could be a nice weapon to have. Gonna have to live with him being a streaky shooter but I do like his aggressiveness and especially his ability to create separation.

Was he streaky in college? My impression was this guy was a deadly shooter in college.

To me personally he never struck me as a deadly shooter. He's very capable as a shooter don't get me wrong but I always thought his attacking abilities were his strongest qualities.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#178 » by CharlesOakley » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:16 pm

He has a solid handle and is able to penetrate but he doesn't seem to know how to pass. Unless he becomes a ball mover, he will be Jr Smith Lite.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,756

Post#179 » by cgf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:18 pm

j4remi wrote:The G-league was built for a kid like this.

So much this. I liked the raw talent he flashed as a penetrator, shooter, defender & even playmaker...on the few occasions where he actually looked for his teammates...looked like everything you need to be a good combo guard off the bench; like a taller Bourke.

But holy **** does his entire mindset on the court need to be broken down & built back up from scratch. Hope they tell the kid that he's not shooting his way out of the G-League even if he starts posting 50 point games left & right, if he's playing selfishly with the ball & not focusing on his D.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#180 » by blanko » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:52 am

The thing is... Summer league is tailor made for gunning guards. No one plays defense, pace is fast, ect. The fact that he couldnt put up big numbers in something tailor made for him is disturbing. I would us rather draft a defensive wing and teach him offense aka miami

Sent from my LGM-V300K using Tapatalk

Return to New York Knicks