ImageImageImageImageImage

2018 Summer League Thread: League Games and News

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Re: 2018 Summer League Thread: League Games and News 

Post#1661 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:03 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:Willy is balling but it’s on him for coming into last season out of shape.

There was a boatload of dumb garbage said about Willy on this board

I get that people may have had a beef for him being out of shape, i.e. not wanting it or being unprofessional and perhaps that was warranted, but ............

he was always talented and had incredibly good post/pivot moves and people typically wrote him off as trash which was pure stupidity, because it was never a talent issue. It was a will and desire issue. I hope he does well

People just don’t like grown men acting like a hoe. Willy handled things in NY like a hoe.
Knicksfan20
RealGM

Post#1662 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:05 pm

Im glad Willy is gone. Mitchell>Willy anyways.
WajaBawl
Starter
And1: 2,250

Post#1663 » by WajaBawl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Thing is, if Willy was still here, we might not have used our 2nd to draft yet another center, so i guess it was addition by subtraction.
RealGM's Scandinavian Correspondent
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#1664 » by whocares1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:31 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:Willy is balling but it’s on him for coming into last season out of shape.

There was a boatload of dumb garbage said about Willy on this board

I get that people may have had a beef for him being out of shape, i.e. not wanting it or being unprofessional and perhaps that was warranted, but ............

he was always talented and had incredibly good post/pivot moves and people typically wrote him off as trash which was pure stupidity, because it was never a talent issue. It was a will and desire issue. I hope he does well

People just don’t like grown men acting like a hoe. Willy handled things in NY like a hoe.

Because he wasn’t getting playing time over a guy not in the future plans of this team and another guy that’s on another team right now.
whocares1
General Manager

Post#1665 » by whocares1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:32 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:damn they slobbing on willy hard this game lol, is there no other player to talk about between hornets and warriors lol

he looks good tho, more cut up

Miles, you ****.
Knicksfan20
RealGM

Post#1666 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:08 pm

WajaBawl wrote:Thing is, if Willy was still here, we might not have used our 2nd to draft yet another center, so i guess it was addition by subtraction.

except we got a top rated player with that 2nd round pick. There is no difference between Willy and Kanter.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#1667 » by j4remi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:
WajaBawl wrote:Thing is, if Willy was still here, we might not have used our 2nd to draft yet another center, so i guess it was addition by subtraction.

except we got a top rated player with that 2nd round pick. There is no difference between Willy and Kanter.

Except age, experience and about 15.5 million dollars per season.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#1668 » by KnicksGod » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:

I think he's agreeing with you. He's saying that if Willy was here we wouldn't have taken Mitchell so it's a good thing Willy isn't here.

We Knicks fans disagree even when we agree. Perhaps BFS is linked to dementia :wink:
Knicksfan20
RealGM

Post#1669 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:51 pm

j4remi wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:

K. Are we keeping Willy long term? Will he have been apart of the team 3 years from now? If he is , he would probably be in a bench role, unhappy, and still complaining to the media. Guys like him are a headache. Better off without him.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#1670 » by j4remi » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:

K. Are we keeping Willy long term? Will he have been apart of the team 3 years from now? If he is , he would probably be in a bench role, unhappy, and still complaining to the media. Guys like him are a headache. Better off without him.

Would Willy potentially be more valuable this year than he was at the trade deadline last summer? Even if we're better off without him, it was a bad idea to trade a young, cost-controlled player at the low point of his value. If he shows more problematic behavior in the future, I'll reconsider but after hearing multiple young players allude to how bad and aimless coaching left them last year; I'm more upset we gave up a cheap All-Rookie player with upside for a pair of second rounders when he's always been productive with minutes. They should have dealt him sooner or held him longer.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,867

Post#1671 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:12 pm

j4remi wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Would Willy potentially be more valuable this year than he was at the trade deadline last summer? Even if we're better off without him, it was a bad idea to trade a young, cost-controlled player at the low point of his value. If he shows more problematic behavior in the future, I'll reconsider but after hearing multiple young players allude to how bad and aimless coaching left them last year; I'm more upset we gave up a cheap All-Rookie player with upside for a pair of second rounders when he's always been productive with minutes. They should have dealt him sooner or held him longer.

It was mishandled. In terms of trade value they had teams knocking on their doors earlier offering real value and then they created a drama around his benching and destroyed his value. It was fairly incompetent and Jeff was a big part of that. It is plausible that Jeff was the whole reason for it being bungled too. I don't think he was sooooooooooooooooooo out of shape he couldn't play. Come on. That's BS.
ImageImageImage
whocares1
General Manager

Post#1672 » by whocares1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:

It was mishandled. In terms of trade value they had teams knocking on their doors earlier offering real value and then they created a drama around his benching and destroyed his value. It was fairly incompetent and Jeff was a big part of that. It is plausible that Jeff was the whole reason for it being bungled too. I don't think he was sooooooooooooooooooo out of shape he couldn't play. Come on. That's BS.

He didn’t make the center rotation because Kanter is currently better than him and Jeff understandably didn’t want two Kanters. He went with a more defensive minded back up. The issue was Jeff’s lack of concern for developing Willy as he was more preoccupied with wins.
el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Post#1673 » by el13adnino » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:49 pm

Who are your favorites for today’s game?
:crazy:
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,921

Post#1674 » by stuporman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:06 pm

I think this FO has an issue with valuation of players that creeps into their negotiating deals which allows other FOs to take advantage of them.

They probably didn't value Willy with his ground bound game as much as he is worth so didn't flinch at trading him for two 2nds. Yet, they also included a 2nd in dealing for Mudiay who isn't even as good as the guy they traded away for him, Dougie.

This doesn't mean they can't evaluate players well, they can and this draft is a little bit of evidence of it. Although, when working a deal they shouldn't let themselves get worked by others based on their own perceived value of the player.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#1675 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:12 pm

people still talking about Willy on here even though he's been gone for a while now and won't be back. Offensive only centers aren't all that hard to find these days.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1676 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:12 pm

people still talking about Willy on here even though he's been gone for a while now and won't be back. Offensive only centers aren't all that hard to find these days.
whocares1
General Manager

Post#1677 » by whocares1 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:15 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:people still talking about Willy on here even though he's been gone for a while now and won't be back. Offensive only centers aren't all that hard to find these days.

We should be allowed to talk about any player we choose to. Not sure what’s the issue discussing him, if he’s being spoken about it’s because (obviously) people want to talk about him.
Illightinati
Senior
And1: 454

Post#1678 » by Illightinati » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 pm

stuporman wrote:I think this FO has an issue with valuation of players that creeps into their negotiating deals that allow other FOs to take advantage of them.

They probably didn't value Willy with his ground bound game as much as he is worth so didn't flinch at trading him for two 2nds. Yet, they also included a 2nd in dealing for Mudiay who isn't even as good as the guy they traded away for him, Dougie.

This doesn't mean they can't evaluate players well, they can and this draft is a little bit of evidence of it. Although, when working a deal they shouldn't let themselves get worked by others based on their own perceived value of the player.

They need an old-time prestigious New York Hustler or sharp Wall Street Shark in there to negotiate contracts, cause the amount the Knicks get hustled is an embarrassment to NY culture.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1679 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:18 pm

whocares1 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:people still talking about Willy on here even though he's been gone for a while now and won't be back. Offensive only centers aren't all that hard to find these days.

We should be allowed to talk about any player we choose to. Not sure what’s the issue discussing him, if he’s being spoken about it’s because (obviously) people want to talk about him.

:crazy: :noway: :roll: :-?
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#1680 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:33 pm

Everything Perry, Fiz (and Mills since Perry has been here) has preached about how he wants to build this team is the opposite of what Willy was. He's repeatedly said he wants young, athletic, long, defensive oriented (or at least potential to be coached up on that end) guys to build with. Now tell me what boxes does Willy check off in that group? Even if you think he didn't get a fair shake it's still clear he wasn't the type Perry wanted in NY long term. Willy didn't do himself any favors by leaking stories through his agent that he wanted to play or be traded.. It is what it is he's gone and we got 2 2nd rounders from a team that is projected to be bad for the next 3-5 years. No harm no foul in my opinion. I think Mitch's potential is higher than Willy's anyway(and he's much younger) so I'm glad we've got him instead as our bench big for the future...

Return to New York Knicks