ImageImageImage

***Summer League Playoffs Game 1: Wolves vs. Pistons***

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,717

Re: ***Summer League Playoffs Game 1: Wolves vs. Pistons*** 

Post#41 » by minimus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:53 am

Lol, even our SL league team can't hit 3s.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#42 » by packforfreedom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:23 am

well at least they try
minimus
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: ***Summer League Playoffs Game 1: Wolves vs. Pistons*** 

Post#43 » by minimus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:36 pm

packforfreedom wrote:well at least they try
Because they have not heard a Thibs shout yet
jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#44 » by jmoy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:58 pm

Mattya wrote:Okogie definitely has a spot in rotations just because his defense can be that impactful. He needs to work a lot on his footwork and creating for himself. It is the only thing holding his potential on offense back. He doesn’t look comfortable at all there. I’m not worried about his ability to improve as a shooter. He has very solid mechanics when spotted up.

I agree and disagree. His release looked slow. Creating his own shot will be important but not that much as he can score 10pts a game just cutting and spotting up. I think he needs to work on finishing near the rim and a quick effective release. That involves footwork and being ready to shoot as well as a quicker motion. I think he can and will probably get there but sadly, I see him having a Butler type first year or two with the Wolves. Hopefully he can have a Butler type years 3+ as well.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,316

Post#45 » by Calinks » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:49 pm

I tihnk Okogie needs to play on an up tempo team. Problem is, we are not that and we are TRASH in transition. If he was on a team that got up and down, got easy buckets, he could be pretty effective. Kind of like Shabazz in that way but Shabazz has a lot better chance at getting his own shot off than Okogie. Maybe we will play differently next season or maybe our defense will step up and create more transition opportunities.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
minimus
RealGM

Post#46 » by minimus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 pm

I think that we need to cool down a bit. No one will give Okogie or KBD plenty of minutes or opportunities. They can earn them during next season, but at the moment we have a void at wings behind Butler and Wiggins. I hope that Terrell or someone from SL can showcase his talent as shooter, but it looks like we still where we have ended last season.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,814

Post#47 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:59 pm

minimus wrote:I think that we need to cool down a bit. No one will give Okogie or KBD plenty of minutes or opportunities. They can earn them during next season, but at the moment we have a void at wings behind Butler and Wiggins. I hope that Terrell or someone from SL can showcase his talent as shooter, but it looks like we still where we have ended last season.

I think Okogie is the answer at wing. He's just too gifted to not make it.
minimus
RealGM

Post#48 » by minimus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:21 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:I think that we need to cool down a bit. No one will give Okogie or KBD plenty of minutes or opportunities. They can earn them during next season, but at the moment we have a void at wings behind Butler and Wiggins. I hope that Terrell or someone from SL can showcase his talent as shooter, but it looks like we still where we have ended last season.

He might be an answer. But have you seen any playoff game analysis? Top teams in this playoff were able to apply different defensive schemas, tactics to slowdown opponent offense, star players. There are so many defensive details and nuances. I have read a story that Rondo was able to learn by heart ALL opponent plays, so he knew where the ball moves to. Physical tools help, but guys like Rondo, Battier learned to use brains as main weapon. That's why the have succeed. It is just unfair to ask this from our rookies.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,884

Post#49 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:42 pm

And when we fill the last two spots, we'll be ahead of where we ended last season.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#50 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

He might be an answer. But have you seen any playoff game analysis? Top teams in this playoff were able to apply different defensive schemas, tactics to slowdown opponent offense, star players. There are so many defensive details and nuances. I have read a story that Rondo was able to learn by heart ALL opponent plays, so he knew where the ball moves to. Physical tools help, but guys like Rondo, Battier learned to use brains as main weapon. That's why the have succeed. It is just unfair to ask this from our rookies.

I get what you are saying. This might sound extreme, but Okogie is already the second best shot blocking SG I can think of only behind Dwayne Wade. I'm probably forgetting somebody though.
yojimbo
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#51 » by yojimbo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Sidney Moncrief blocked a lot of shots. Also had similar bounce before his knees went.
Sulla
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#52 » by Sulla » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:23 am

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I think Okogie is the answer at wing. He's just too gifted to not make it.

I get what you are saying. This might sound extreme, but Okogie is already the second best shot blocking SG I can think of only behind Dwayne Wade. I'm probably forgetting somebody though.

LOL. In this draft class alone, Mikal Bridges, Zhaire Smith, and De'Anthony Melton all averaged more blocked shots per 40 minutes than Okogie did.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#53 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:46 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Sulla wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I get what you are saying. This might sound extreme, but Okogie is already the second best shot blocking SG I can think of only behind Dwayne Wade. I'm probably forgetting somebody though.

LOL. In this draft class alone, Mikal Bridges, Zhaire Smith, and De'Anthony Melton all averaged more blocked shots per 40 minutes than Okogie did.

Are they 6'5" or more? If so they don't count. I'm talking under 6'5". I don't think those guys will beat him in the NBA anyway. Even one of the SL announcers compared his shot blocking ability to Wade.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#54 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:48 am

yojimbo wrote:Sidney Moncrief blocked a lot of shots. Also had similar bounce before his knees went.

Good ball player, but his best shot blocking season was half a shot a game.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#55 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:53 am

I did some research. I was correct in my guess that Wade has blocked more shots than any other player 6'4" or shorter. I was surprised that Dennis Johnson was second.
yojimbo
Sophomore
And1: 28

Re: RE: Re: ***Summer League Playoffs Game 1: Wolves vs. Pistons*** 

Post#56 » by yojimbo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:25 am

KGdaBom wrote:
yojimbo wrote:Sidney Moncrief blocked a lot of shots. Also had similar bounce before his knees went.

Good ball player, but his best shot blocking season was half a shot a game.
Huh. Guess my memory of watching him was a little too rosy.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using RealGM mobile app
Sulla
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#57 » by Sulla » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:02 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Sulla wrote:

Are they 6'5" or more? If so they don't count. I'm talking under 6'5". I don't think those guys will beat him in the NBA anyway. Even one of the SL announcers compared his shot blocking ability to Wade.

Melton is 6'2.25" and Smith is 6'2.75". Markelle Fultz is another guy.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#58 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Sulla wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Are they 6'5" or more? If so they don't count. I'm talking under 6'5". I don't think those guys will beat him in the NBA anyway. Even one of the SL announcers compared his shot blocking ability to Wade.

Melton is 6'2.25" and Smith is 6'2.75". Markelle Fultz is another guy.

Cool I'm predicting that Okogie is the better shot blocker of the group. Time will tell.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves