ImageImageImageImageImage

Phase 4 / The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Re: Sean Marks: “We have a year to prepare for summer of 2019”  

Post#21 » by shakendfries » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:05 pm

Claud wrote:Also, I think NI is mistaken...

I see Nets value as 6th highest, not fourth.

Knicks. Lakers, Warriors,Bulls, Celtics, Nets, Rockets, Clippers, Mavs, Heat are the top 10 in order.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,579

Post#22 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:46 pm

shakendfries wrote:

Knicks. Lakers, Warriors,Bulls, Celtics, Nets, Rockets, Clippers, Mavs, Heat are the top 10 in order.

Nope, they're 6th.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2018/07/18/full-list-the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-of-2018/#729b047a6b0e

Bondy is just a moron.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#23 » by shakendfries » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:53 pm

shakendfries wrote:

You were right Bondy’s shoddy reporting strikes again

7. New York Knicks, $3.6 billion, 9% (NBA)

8. Los Angeles Lakers, $3.3 billion, 10% (NBA)

10. Golden State Warriors, $3.1 billion, 19% (NBA)

23. Chicago Bulls, $2.6 billion, 4% (NBA)

27. Boston Celtics, $2.5 billion, 14% (NBA)

36. Brooklyn Nets, $2.3 billion, 28% (NBA)

40. Houston Rockets, $2.2 billion, 33% (NBA)

41. Los Angeles Clippers, $2.15 billion, 7% (NBA)

ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#24 » by Papi_swav » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Heck no on Love, the dude is not a winner point blank period. Butler I don't really want but at least he gives 100% on BOTH sides of the floor so I wouldn't be mad at that. It's kyrie, klay or kawhi or bust IMO. If we bust then we just got to hope Marks can hit on all his draft picks like the Spurs did.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#25 » by Paradise » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:12 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Irving and Butler will go to the Knicks. more mainstream appeal and bigger stage. Porzingas is already there as well. Fizdale is a popular coach in the league.

thats why I keep being a wet blanket on here. We've got to be honest. The Nets aren't a draw

Knix have some pretty big hoops to jump through to open anywhere close to 2 max...

I'm pretty sure they can find a way to get Noah off of their books. We may be the ones to do it in fact since it will come with an asset attached to it.

Why would we do that? Why would our ownership allow that?

Not even Jerry West is thinking like that with the Lakers overshadowing him in LA. No reason for us to do that.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,488

Post#26 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:36 pm

Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Knix have some pretty big hoops to jump through to open anywhere close to 2 max...

I'm pretty sure they can find a way to get Noah off of their books. We may be the ones to do it in fact since it will come with an asset attached to it.

Why would we do that? Why would our ownership allow that?

Not even Jerry West is thinking like that with the Lakers overshadowing him in LA. No reason for us to do that.

Because we'll probably whiff on all of the big names and its smarter to use the space to acquire first round picks instead of blowing it on 3rd tier players.

Just being honest dude. i don't think we have a shot at Butler, Irving, or Thompson. Who else out there would be worth going after after that point?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#27 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Papi_swav wrote:Heck no on Love, the dude is not a winner point blank period. Butler I don't really want but at least he gives 100% on BOTH sides of the floor so I wouldn't be mad at that. It's kyrie, klay or kawhi or bust IMO. If we bust then we just got to hope Marks can hit on all his draft picks like the Spurs did.

I think its a 100% chance none of those players are signing here.

We will build via the draft like Golden State imo.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#28 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:41 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Heck no on Love, the dude is not a winner point blank period. Butler I don't really want but at least he gives 100% on BOTH sides of the floor so I wouldn't be mad at that. It's kyrie, klay or kawhi or bust IMO. If we bust then we just got to hope Marks can hit on all his draft picks like the Spurs did.

too much chatter and set up too well not to land one of the top free agents or trade for a star in season. probably closer to 100% we land one then 100% we dont. id say at least 51% chance we get one
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,579

Post#29 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

too much chatter and set up too well not to land one of the top free agents or trade for a star in season. probably closer to 100% we land one then 100% we dont. id say at least 51% chance we get one

I tend to agree with you on this honestly. I wont go as far as 51% but I'd say there's a 40% chance we get one.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#30 » by Papi_swav » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:52 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I tend to agree with you on this honestly. I wont go as far as 51% but I'd say there's a 40% chance we get one.

I agree with 51%, we have a bunch of assets and Marks keeps racking up even more so we can set up a very nice package for a star player, whoever that is , even if we miss on signing one. Not to mention our franchise did a complete 180 from 5 years ago, we have a great front office and everybody knows, were ranked 6th most valuable franchise in NBA, it's still NYC and the best borough of the city. I wholeheartedly believe we would come away with someone great. I have faith in our franchise.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#31 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:56 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

You can sell me on an in season trade since that's how we historically have acquired top tier talent (Kidd, Carter).

You can't sell me however on the Nets signing Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson, or Kyrie Irving on the open market.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#32 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:58 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I agree with 51%, we have a bunch of assets and Marks keeps racking up even more so we can set up a very nice package for a star player, whoever that is , even if we miss on signing one. Not to mention our franchise did a complete 180 from 5 years ago, we have a great front office and everybody knows, were ranked 6th most valuable franchise in NBA, it's still NYC and the best borough of the city. I wholeheartedly believe we would come away with someone great. I have faith in our franchise.

plus you have to look at Marks remarks... his language has changed drastically. it was "development development development" and now he is staying stuff like "the team has pivoted" "we are preparing for 2019" talking about cap space, free agency....

marks is a guy who sets expectations low and is open about direction. we may not get the guys but its clear marks is going to make a strong run at them and HE believes they are players for it
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#33 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:59 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Here is what will sell me on this optimism.

if Russell, LeVert, RHJ, and Allen make a leap this year collectively and we somehow end up in the playoffs or just on the cusp, I can see the Nets being an attractive landing spot.

If the Nets finish where Vegas has them finishing, no one is touching this team with a ten foot pole.

Winning matters. You think Klay is going to come running over here to play on a team that struggled to win 25 games?

If there is no internal improvement this year, give up on these fantasies of max slot level players even taking a meeting with Sean Marks.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#34 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:00 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

You can sell me on an in season trade since that's how we historically have acquired top tier talent (Kidd, Carter).

You can't sell me however on the Nets signing Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson, or Kyrie Irving on the open market.

We arent the NJ nets anymore.

This is the first time we have had cap space and picks and young assets, and a great GM and been in brooklyn, and have rehabbed our image as a great place to play.

also, you have people talking about us. everyone from league insiders to reporters, to show hosts talking about how brooklyn is a real option now.

its apples to oranges comparing this to the post 72 loss season nets.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#35 » by Papi_swav » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:00 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Yea but that was Jersey, this is Brooklyn. No offense but being in the city is just a bigger deal. Jersey seats were never filled up even on the championship runs, I can't see that happening in BK even though we don't have much fans yet.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#36 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

plus you have to look at Marks remarks... his language has changed drastically. it was "development development development" and now he is staying stuff like "the team has pivoted" "we are preparing for 2019" talking about cap space, free agency....

marks is a guy who sets expectations low and is open about direction. we may not get the guys but its clear marks is going to make a strong run at them and HE believes they are players for it

Marks can make the push all he wants. It won't matter if guys don't want to sign on to a team that just won 25 games.

Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#37 » by Papi_swav » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:03 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I agree with 51%, we have a bunch of assets and Marks keeps racking up even more so we can set up a very nice package for a star player, whoever that is , even if we miss on signing one. Not to mention our franchise did a complete 180 from 5 years ago, we have a great front office and everybody knows, were ranked 6th most valuable franchise in NBA, it's still NYC and the best borough of the city. I wholeheartedly believe we would come away with someone great. I have faith in our franchise.

Marks can make the push all he wants. It won't matter if guys don't want to sign on to a team that just won 25 games.

How about a team with multiple young assets and a top 3 pick ? and knowing they're about to trade for another one?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#38 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:03 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Yea but that was Jersey, this is Brooklyn. No offense but being in the city is just a bigger deal.

Kevin Durant refused to meet with the Nets the offseason where he left OKC.

No offense taken, because no one cares about the Brooklyn Nets like that. Ever been to a game and have people cheering harder for the 76ers than your own club?

Ever listen to NY sports talk radio? The Nets could be a 55 win team and the main topic will be how bad the Knicks are.

Its not a bigger deal at all. The franchise increasing in value is great. I'm glad that means the team won't be struggling to pay bills. But until there is a sustainable winning product on the floor that builds a generational fanbase, no one will care and players won't come here.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#39 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:04 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:

Here is what will sell me on this optimism.

if Russell, LeVert, RHJ, and Allen make a leap this year collectively and we somehow end up in the playoffs or just on the cusp, I can see the Nets being an attractive landing spot.

If the Nets finish where Vegas has them finishing, no one is touching this team with a ten foot pole.

Winning matters. You think Klay is going to come running over here to play on a team that struggled to win 25 games?

If there is no internal improvement this year, give up on these fantasies of max slot level players even taking a meeting with Sean Marks.

With the exception of winning a title or being a finals team, winning the prior year is irrelevant. These stars know that they will win i they team up. no one cares if levert or RHJ made another leap. butler and kyrie know that if they team up they are a 50+ win team anywhere. and russell and RHJ likely arent even here if we add allstars since we need their cap holds gone.

Kyrie is on a great team for a winning situation and is likely to leave. lebron just left a 4 time finals team to go to an awful lakers team. its not always about winning.

honestly, our win total has 0 impact on free agency. yeah the warriors, rockets, philly, those teams winning can attract stuff. but players dont look at the nets for their roster they look at the nets for their cap room and being a blank canvas

Jimmy butler doesnt look at it as joining Russell/rhj/allen.... he looks at it as joining kyrie and klay or kawhi and kyrie.... and you 100% better believe thats how the nets will sell it.

Cap space is something NBA players are VERY aware of and these guys and their agents know exactly which situations are available for them to pair up with their star buddies.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#40 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:05 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

How about a team with multiple young assets and a top 3 pick ? and knowing they're about to trade for another one?

players don't flock to teams who just qualified for a top 3 pick. Lebron going to Cleveland is an outlier, not the norm.

Return to Brooklyn Nets