ImageImageImageImageImage

Phase 4 / The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD)

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,831

Re: Sean Marks: “We have a year to prepare for summer of 2019” 

Post#41 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I agree with 51%, we have a bunch of assets and Marks keeps racking up even more so we can set up a very nice package for a star player, whoever that is , even if we miss on signing one. Not to mention our franchise did a complete 180 from 5 years ago, we have a great front office and everybody knows, were ranked 6th most valuable franchise in NBA, it's still NYC and the best borough of the city. I wholeheartedly believe we would come away with someone great. I have faith in our franchise.

Here is what will sell me on this optimism.

if Russell, LeVert, RHJ, and Allen make a leap this year collectively and we somehow end up in the playoffs or just on the cusp, I can see the Nets being an attractive landing spot.

If the Nets finish where Vegas has them finishing, no one is touching this team with a ten foot pole.

Winning matters. You think Klay is going to come running over here to play on a team that struggled to win 25 games?

If there is no internal improvement this year, give up on these fantasies of max slot level players even taking a meeting with Sean Marks.

With the exception of winning a title or being a finals team, winning the prior year is irrelevant. These stars know that they will win i they team up. no one cares if levert or RHJ made another leap. butler and kyrie know that if they team up they are a 50+ win team anywhere. and russell and RHJ likely arent even here if we add allstars since we need their cap holds gone.

Kyrie is on a great team for a winning situation and is likely to leave. lebron just left a 4 time finals team to go to an awful lakers team. its not always about winning.

honestly, our win total has 0 impact on free agency. yeah the warriors, rockets, philly, those teams winning can attract stuff. but players dont look at the nets for their roster they look at the nets for their cap room and being a blank canvas

Jimmy butler doesnt look at it as joining Russell/rhj/allen.... he looks at it as joining kyrie and klay or kawhi and kyrie.... and you 100% better believe thats how the nets will sell it.

Cap space is something NBA players are VERY aware of and these guys and their agents know exactly which situations are available for them to pair up with their star buddies.

They can sell it, but until I see them buying it I'm not believing it.

Same damn thing every year. hell, this club couldn't even get Marvin Williams to come here FFS and yall are trying to sell me on Kyrie Irving?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#42 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

You can sell me on an in season trade since that's how we historically have acquired top tier talent (Kidd, Carter).

You can't sell me however on the Nets signing Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson, or Kyrie Irving on the open market.

Yea but that was Jersey, this is Brooklyn. No offense but being in the city is just a bigger deal.

Kevin Durant refused to meet with the Nets the offseason where he left OKC.

No offense taken, because no one cares about the Brooklyn Nets like that. Ever been to a game and have people cheering harder for the 76ers than your own club?

Ever listen to NY sports talk radio? The Nets could be a 55 win team and the main topic will be how bad the Knicks are.

Its not a bigger deal at all. The franchise increasing in value is great. I'm glad that means the team won't be struggling to pay bills. But until there is a sustainable winning product on the floor that builds a generational fanbase, no one will care and players won't come here.

winning wont matter for drawing free agents here and brooklyn does matter. especially now that we have rehabbed our image and have a staff players see value in.

Durant left okc to join the warriors cause he is a pansy and at that time the nets still had the billy king stink on them and no room for a second max guy and no picks to trade for secondary stars

the nets DO have room now. any star they sign would be aware we have the cap to add a second star outright with cap room

the nets DO have multiple picks and assets. any 2 stars would be aware we could trade for a third star to pair with

you can ignore that, but it matters. and marks and the nets have gained alot of respect as a player firendly spot and a legit place to play
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#43 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:10 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Here is what will sell me on this optimism.

if Russell, LeVert, RHJ, and Allen make a leap this year collectively and we somehow end up in the playoffs or just on the cusp, I can see the Nets being an attractive landing spot.

If the Nets finish where Vegas has them finishing, no one is touching this team with a ten foot pole.

Winning matters. You think Klay is going to come running over here to play on a team that struggled to win 25 games?

If there is no internal improvement this year, give up on these fantasies of max slot level players even taking a meeting with Sean Marks.

With the exception of winning a title or being a finals team, winning the prior year is irrelevant. These stars know that they will win i they team up. no one cares if levert or RHJ made another leap. butler and kyrie know that if they team up they are a 50+ win team anywhere. and russell and RHJ likely arent even here if we add allstars since we need their cap holds gone.

Kyrie is on a great team for a winning situation and is likely to leave. lebron just left a 4 time finals team to go to an awful lakers team. its not always about winning.

honestly, our win total has 0 impact on free agency. yeah the warriors, rockets, philly, those teams winning can attract stuff. but players dont look at the nets for their roster they look at the nets for their cap room and being a blank canvas

Jimmy butler doesnt look at it as joining Russell/rhj/allen.... he looks at it as joining kyrie and klay or kawhi and kyrie.... and you 100% better believe thats how the nets will sell it.

Cap space is something NBA players are VERY aware of and these guys and their agents know exactly which situations are available for them to pair up with their star buddies.

They can sell it, but until I see them buying it I'm not believing it.

Same damn thing every year. hell, this club couldn't even get Marvin Williams to come here FFS and yall are trying to sell me on Kyrie Irving?

you are comparing apples to oranges again.

MArvin williams not want to join a team that was openly in a rebuild and 1 year removed from billy king with no assets to bring in other talent and no picks is a far different scenario then were we are right now.
Sleepyazn
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#44 » by Sleepyazn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:18 pm

DO U ALL SMELL THAT? ITS KWAHI AND DURANT TO BROOKLYN TRAIN!
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#45 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:47 pm

so apparently Kawhi is already calling players around the league to see about teaming up? Not saying the Nets are in the private convos, but interesting to see him already dismissing his return to Toronto.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#46 » by Papi_swav » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:52 pm

So we definitely need to get rid of Crabbe by all means, by the trade deadline. Dinwiddie and his small salary might get the job done, hopefully. Trade both our picks to move up into the top 5 in the draft. Renounce RHJ and Dlo. We now have all the cap space in the world. Kawhi, Klay and Kyrie :D
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#47 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:55 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:so apparently Kawhi is already calling players around the league to see about teaming up? Not saying the Nets are in the private convos, but interesting to see him already dismissing his return to Toronto.

Kawhi spent his entire career with the spurs. id assume he wants to play in a big city and this being the first time he really has flexibility im sure he will also want to team up with other players he is close with/values.

im sure the same is true for kyrie, butler, klay and other bigtime FAs hitting the market for the first time.

I'd have to think Marks has Kawhi in his roladex, knowing him personally from the spurs. i dont know if we have any realistic shot but im sure marks can get him in to make his case.

Either way, if im the nets marketing team, all im doing is parading every day the fact we have room for stars to team up and assets to aquire a third star.

The package of:
-Nets first
-Denver first
-Levert/RHJ
-Crabbe

is an attractive one. throw in russell if someone sees him as positive value and carroll if someone wants expiring money back.

I love the idea of making an in season run at someone like Butler, KAwhi, Davis, and then angling to sign 2 more stars in free agency.

Kyrie | Harris | Butler | Kawhi | Allen is a really fun pipe dream :)
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,577

Post#48 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:14 am

Papi_swav wrote:So we definitely need to get rid of Crabbe by all means, by the trade deadline. Dinwiddie and his small salary might get the job done, hopefully. Trade both our picks to move up into the top 5 in the draft. Renounce RHJ and Dlo. We now have all the cap space in the world. Kawhi, Klay and Kyrie :D

Unfortunately it doesnt work like that since we would still have Joe Harris' contract, a bunch of guys on rookie deals (~$15 mill) and these things called minimum roster holds.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Sean Marks: “We have a year to prepare for summer of 2019”  

Post#49 » by Paradise » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:15 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I agree with 51%, we have a bunch of assets and Marks keeps racking up even more so we can set up a very nice package for a star player, whoever that is , even if we miss on signing one. Not to mention our franchise did a complete 180 from 5 years ago, we have a great front office and everybody knows, were ranked 6th most valuable franchise in NBA, it's still NYC and the best borough of the city. I wholeheartedly believe we would come away with someone great. I have faith in our franchise.

plus you have to look at Marks remarks... his language has changed drastically. it was "development development development" and now he is staying stuff like "the team has pivoted" "we are preparing for 2019" talking about cap space, free agency....

marks is a guy who sets expectations low and is open about direction. we may not get the guys but its clear marks is going to make a strong run at them and HE believes they are players for it

Marks can make the push all he wants. It won't matter if guys don't want to sign on to a team that just won 25 games.

We’re in the conversation.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#50 » by Papi_swav » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:20 am

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:So we definitely need to get rid of Crabbe by all means, by the trade deadline. Dinwiddie and his small salary might get the job done, hopefully. Trade both our picks to move up into the top 5 in the draft. Renounce RHJ and Dlo. We now have all the cap space in the world. Kawhi, Klay and Kyrie :D

Unfortunately it doesnt work like that since we would still have Joe Harris' contract, a bunch of guys on rookie deals (~$15 mill) and these things called minimum roster holds.

It can still work if guys want to really play together, remember the HEAT took all took pay cuts. Each guy takes 25M each, but that's wishful thinking. Any 2 of those guys will still do.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,577

Post#51 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:54 am

I thought that I would share a slightly unrealistic best case scenario for our team.

Let's say that Anthony Davis pulls a Paul George/Kawhi and says that he will leave NO and only re-sign with a big market team.

At the trade deadline, the Nets trade:
Allen Crabbe+Jarrett Allen+D'Angelo Russell+Joe Harris+2019 Nets 1st+2019 Nuggets 1st
for
Anthony Davis+Alexis Ajinca(expiring)+Darius Miller(expiring)

The Nets would then enter the 2019 off-season with damn close to two max slots if they renounce RHJ and $54 million in space if they don't. They could sign Butler+Leonard/Irving to 1+1 deals and then resign them for a higher amount in 2020 so that they would only have to take a 1 year discount. Then they would resign Dinwiddie and RHJ. It would be an expensive team but a great one and we know Prokorov is willing to spend money.

Potential lineup:
Dinwiddie/(Napier?)
Butler/LeVert
Leonard/Musa/(Carroll?)
RHJ/Kurucs/(Faried?)
Davis/(Davis?)

They would have to fill out the lineup with the room exception and minimum guys but that team would be a legitimate contender. Trading assets for Anthony Davis also makes sense since he's only 25 and a truly dominant player.

I know it's unrealistic, but wouldn't it be nuts?!?!
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#52 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:06 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Yea but that was Jersey, this is Brooklyn. No offense but being in the city is just a bigger deal.

Kevin Durant refused to meet with the Nets the offseason where he left OKC.

No offense taken, because no one cares about the Brooklyn Nets like that. Ever been to a game and have people cheering harder for the 76ers than your own club?

Ever listen to NY sports talk radio? The Nets could be a 55 win team and the main topic will be how bad the Knicks are.

Its not a bigger deal at all. The franchise increasing in value is great. I'm glad that means the team won't be struggling to pay bills. But until there is a sustainable winning product on the floor that builds a generational fanbase, no one will care and players won't come here.

winning wont matter for drawing free agents here and brooklyn does matter. especially now that we have rehabbed our image and have a staff players see value in.

Durant left okc to join the warriors cause he is a pansy and at that time the nets still had the billy king stink on them and no room for a second max guy and no picks to trade for secondary stars

the nets DO have room now. any star they sign would be aware we have the cap to add a second star outright with cap room

the nets DO have multiple picks and assets. any 2 stars would be aware we could trade for a third star to pair with

you can ignore that, but it matters. and marks and the nets have gained alot of respect as a player firendly spot and a legit place to play

I'm not ignoring any of that.

But I will have to believe it to see it. I heard this same stuff 8 years ago. heard it 2 summers ago. tired of getting my hopes up. The Nets aren't building a super team. Klay is not leaving Golden State to play for the Nets. Kyrie Irving isn't going to leave the Celtics to play for the Nets.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#53 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:34 am

Sleepyazn wrote:DO U ALL SMELL THAT? ITS KWAHI AND DURANT TO BROOKLYN TRAIN!

^^^see what I mean. Other team's fans would stumble upon this and think that we're all delusional.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#54 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:37 am

:lol: :crazy:

Sleepyazn
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#55 » by Sleepyazn » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:38 am

MrDollarBills wrote:

^^^see what I mean. Other team's fans would stumble upon this and think that we're all delusional.

Bro trust me I'm way more rational then this. But its fun to dream. More then likely we won't sign anybody good but man gotta dream. On the other hand looking forward to drafting this team real future in 2019 draft.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#56 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:38 am

Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
plus you have to look at Marks remarks... his language has changed drastically. it was "development development development" and now he is staying stuff like "the team has pivoted" "we are preparing for 2019" talking about cap space, free agency....

marks is a guy who sets expectations low and is open about direction. we may not get the guys but its clear marks is going to make a strong run at them and HE believes they are players for it

Marks can make the push all he wants. It won't matter if guys don't want to sign on to a team that just won 25 games.

We’re in the conversation.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Tweets and podcasts don't mean anything. sorry.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#57 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:40 am

Sleepyazn wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Bro trust me I'm way more rational then this. But its fun to dream. More then likely we won't sign anybody good but man gotta dream. On the other hand looking forward to drafting this team real future in 2019 draft.

Its fun to dream, but its another thing to get your hopes up only for a brutal let down.

We're going to have to build this thing like Golden State. No super team is going to assemble here. every single summer people on here think the Nets are going to be big time players and we never are.

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#58 » by DarkXaero » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:24 am

I actually like Kawhi going to the Raptors because in my opinion, it keeps the possibility of Kawhi going somewhere else open. If he landed with the Lakers, I think that would have been set in stone. Additionally (and likely more relevant to us), Spurs gain an all star in Derozan in place of a star player who wasn't playing for them. This puts the Spurs back in playoffs contention in the West and affects Denver's chances of becoming a high playoffs seed in the West.

Anyway, Idk about yall but I'm going to enjoy any good star FA speculation linked to us. If that Toronto beat reporter is right, and Kawhi is considering NYC/Brooklyn, then its a massive thing for us (just being considered). I think some of you are underestimating what Marks/new FO have done for this franchise. We have forged a great reputation among players/agents and even the guys who have left us have said nothing about positive things about their time here. I think that image building and Marks' connections can help us big time in free agency.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#59 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:07 am

DarkXaero wrote:I actually like Kawhi going to the Raptors because in my opinion, it keeps the possibility of Kawhi going somewhere else open. If he landed with the Lakers, I think that would have been set in stone. Additionally (and likely more relevant to us), Spurs gain an all star in Derozan in place of a star player who wasn't playing for them. This puts the Spurs back in playoffs contention in the West and affects Denver's chances of becoming a high playoffs seed in the West.

Anyway, Idk about yall but I'm going to enjoy any good star FA speculation linked to us. If that Toronto beat reporter is right, and Kawhi is considering NYC/Brooklyn, then its a massive thing for us (just being considered). I think some of you are underestimating what Marks/new FO have done for this franchise. We have forged a great reputation among players/agents and even the guys who have left us have said nothing about positive things about their time here. I think that image building and Marks' connections can help us big time in free agency.

I'm underestimating for sure because I think the best thing that will happen to us in 2019 is us drafting a possible stud with our lotto pick, but you guys could be severely overestimating. I don't think "reputation" and and "image building" mean a goddamn thing.

No one was signing with Golden State prior to them becoming the dynasty of the NBA. Now all of a sudden you have Kevin Durant going there, and Demarcus Cousins playing there for 5 million dollars. Why? Because golden state built their club up from the ground up with excellent scouting, drafting, and installing a great infrastructure that is conducive to winning basketball from training, preparation and usage of analytics. They are proven winners.

We have the infrastructure part down pact. The Nets are forward thinking in that regard. But guess what part we aren't going to convince players about?

WINNING GAMES.

WE ARE A LOSING FRANCHISE AND HAVE BEEN HISTORICALLY. We have only had two seasons where we were great. TWO. And that was what, nearly two decades ago?

we don't have much to sell free agents on in that department. you guys talk about franchise valuation, cap space, assets etc. NBA players don't think about that stuff. they just want to either go to a place that is already known for winning (THE LAKERS), where they don't have to do much heavy lifting or team up with their buddies.

Good luck to Sean Marks, because if he tries to sell this place as a destination where people can win, he'll have a tough time.

if he even gets a meeting with any of these top free agents. which I highly doubt.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#60 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:10 am

can't wait for that Nets vs. Raptors game in Barclays this season where Leonard notices that the crowd is cheering louder for his team than the Nets.

you all are playing yourselves. wake up.

Return to Brooklyn Nets