Marcus Smart Agree To Four-Year, $52M Deal With Celtics

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Marcus Smart Agree To Four-Year, $52M Deal With Celtics 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Marcus Smart and the Boston Celtics have agreed to a four-year, $52 million deal.

Smart was a restricted free agent.

Via Shams Charania/Yahoo! Sports

ryguy3711
Sophomore
And1: 28

Re: Marcus Smart Agree To Four-Year, $52M Deal With Celtics 

Post#2 » by ryguy3711 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:33 pm

This is first time in a long time that I doubt one of Danny Ainge’s decisions. Usually, he’s so forward-thinking that it’s hard to keep up, but this move seems like he bent over to accommodate for an average player who was complaining about his contract situation. $52M could have been spent on a lot more than a scrappy defensive guy who can’t score and who makes consistently terrible offensive decisions.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#3 » by cheese318 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:51 pm

ryguy3711 wrote:This is first time in a long time that I doubt one of Danny Ainge’s decisions. Usually, he’s so forward-thinking that it’s hard to keep up, but this move seems like he bent over to accommodate for an average player who was complaining about his contract situation. $52M could have been spent on a lot more than a scrappy defensive guy who can’t score and who makes consistently terrible offensive decisions.

He’s still young. He’s a better offensive player than you give him credit for. When Iman Shumpert/Jr Smith are making that kind of money I believe Marcus Smart does as well plus he’s younger than them so it even makes more sense.
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
LuffyFiasco
Sophomore
And1: 294

Post#4 » by LuffyFiasco » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:55 pm

ryguy3711 wrote:This is first time in a long time that I doubt one of Danny Ainge’s decisions. Usually, he’s so forward-thinking that it’s hard to keep up, but this move seems like he bent over to accommodate for an average player who was complaining about his contract situation. $52M could have been spent on a lot more than a scrappy defensive guy who can’t score and who makes consistently terrible offensive decisions.

The cap is rising. Every year his contract becomes cheaper compared to the cap.

This is not an overpay by this year's cap. We are no longer in 2008. I can see this becoming a discount like the avery bradley deal in the near future.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#5 » by TimRobbins » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:22 pm

So where is Kyrie going next season?
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#6 » by luss54321 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Rcomplex wrote:

This is not an overpay by this year's cap. We are no longer in 2008. I can see this becoming a discount like the avery bradley deal in the near future.

That's what everyone was saying in 2016 and the next thing you know Timofey Mozgov is signing for 4 years, 64 million. The best thing to do is compare a new contract to the current contracts around the league, and by that measure Marcus Smart is grossly overpaid.

You could also argue that the NBA game is rapidly changing and teams are taking more and more 3's every year. Players who can't shoot the ball, let alone guards who can't shoot the ball, are only going to look worse in future seasons.
LuffyFiasco
Sophomore
And1: 294

Post#7 » by LuffyFiasco » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:01 pm

luss54321 wrote:
Rcomplex wrote:

That's what everyone was saying in 2016 and the next thing you know Timofey Mozgov is signing for 4 years, 64 million. The best thing to do is compare a new contract to the current contracts around the league, and by that measure Marcus Smart is grossly overpaid.

You could also argue that the NBA game is rapidly changing and teams are taking more and more 3's every year. Players who can't shoot the ball, let alone guards who can't shoot the ball, are only going to look worse in future seasons.

Back then there wasn't cap smoothing. the cap can widely swing either way. This is 13m on a 102m soft cap/120m hard cap. That's 12% for your 6th-7th man. That's hardly anything out of the ordinary. He's the team's anchor on defense and usually the best defender on the court for both teams. I don't think that's grossly overpaid on today's cap.

He's a ballhandler and a playmaker on Brad Steven's system. If Brad plays him 30+ mins a game, He must be doing something right and providing positive value on the court no matter what his shooting percentages say. That's totally worth 12% of the Celt's cap.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#8 » by donaldtrump_00 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:02 pm

TimRobbins wrote:So where is Kyrie going next season?

Chicago. If not celtics. Bulls fast paste offense seems right where Irving messes best. He'd be the vet. Playing with lavine carter markkanen assuming Parker stays and push dunn off the bench and hutchison who I feel will break out when opportunity comes. Don't forget portis. That team has so much offensive fire power. If kris dunn looks like a all-star this season we go with another player.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:03 pm

luss54321 wrote:
Rcomplex wrote:

It's just a few million over the MLE. It's might be a touch high today, but who do you replace him with?
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#10 » by Donnyxc » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Still feel like the Team could've signed him to 4 year/40M. Feels like a slight overpay, but let's not hype this up. It's not a 20M/year Contact. It's not even a Timothy Mozgov 16M/year contract. This is more tradeable. Too many people undervalue Smart's defense, or plainly have not watched enough of the Celtics to notice the contributions Smart makes that don't come up in the stats sheet, when assessing his contractual worth.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,530

Post#11 » by Furinkazan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:26 pm

pretty solid for both parties
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#12 » by TimRobbins » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:28 pm

donaldtrump_00 wrote:

Chicago. If not celtics. Bulls fast paste offense seems right where Irving messes best. He'd be the vet. Playing with lavine carter markkanen assuming Parker stays and push dunn off the bench and hutchison who I feel will break out when opportunity comes. Don't forget portis. That team has so much offensive fire power. If kris dunn looks like a all-star this season we go with another player.

I hope so. Doesn't look like he's going to be staying with Boston either way.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#13 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:31 pm

He's lucky, no one would pay him that much this offseason except for the guy who drafted him high; plus Kyrie's situation is unstable, they need him if he bolts via free agency.

But he's indeed pretty valuable. He can be the perimeter bench all by himself. One of the best defenders in the league, he's not a good shooter but not terrible, he's good passer as well.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
JeSuns
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#14 » by JeSuns » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:37 pm

Flop it like is hot, flop it like is hot!
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#15 » by theman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:37 pm

It sounds like a lot for a back up point guard but I guess in today's NBA it is not.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#16 » by Donnyxc » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:42 pm

TimRobbins wrote:
donaldtrump_00 wrote:

nah Butler isn't going back to Chicago. They're both getting maxes from Brooklyn.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#17 » by vct33 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:15 pm

How do you propose he could have spent that money else where? You do realize the NBA has a salary cap right?
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#18 » by colaroaster » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:34 pm

no other team wanted him than why give him a pay bump - nothing better in sports than watching a player in a contract year?
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#19 » by jirrit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:11 pm

TimRobbins wrote:
donaldtrump_00 wrote:

And this is based on?
gordoncatrell
Sixth Man
And1: 178

Post#20 » by gordoncatrell » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Any news on whether or not a TEAM OPTION exist within yrs 2-5?

Return to Wiretap Discussion