ImageImageImageImageImage

2018/2019 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Who's Hotter?

Cap
10%
Mags
10%
KoC
7%
DK
2%
KT/FOE <--His new name sucks!
36%
Thugger
7%
GONYK
7%
Remi
10%
Moocow
10%
NLR
2%

Total votes: 42

digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Re: 2018/2019 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.) 

Post#441 » by digitaldropoff » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:23 am

Oscirus wrote:
digitaldropoff wrote:If David Fizdale is truly a great coach, answer this one simple question......why is he coaching the Knicks? Horny, Rambis, and Fisher are the last three dumpster fires that graced NY as head coaches. Not saying Fizdale is a bad a coach, I think he's just fine....but this team has not picked a good leader in a long time. And I may be in the minority on this one, but I think his ability to develop others is running a little strong on this board, but I'm guessing because the Knicks are so young....so it's wise to be hopeful. However, his ass got ran out of Memphis by Gasol. If he was really good with players, and his guys had his back....that should have not of been the ending for him in Memphis.

Yea Dantoni's a real bad coach. I wonder what happened to him

I said the last three guys....and yes, Mike flourished elsewhere. It's fine, you know the dumpster fire list of coaches on the Knicks list the past decade and then some. I'm not saying anything new...no one really wants to work under James Dolan.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,614

Post#442 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:24 am

digitaldropoff wrote:
Oscirus wrote:
digitaldropoff wrote:If David Fizdale is truly a great coach, answer this one simple question......why is he coaching the Knicks? Horny, Rambis, and Fisher are the last three dumpster fires that graced NY as head coaches. Not saying Fizdale is a bad a coach, I think he's just fine....but this team has not picked a good leader in a long time. And I may be in the minority on this one, but I think his ability to develop others is running a little strong on this board, but I'm guessing because the Knicks are so young....so it's wise to be hopeful. However, his ass got ran out of Memphis by Gasol. If he was really good with players, and his guys had his back....that should have not of been the ending for him in Memphis.

I said the last three guys....and yes, Mike flourished elsewhere. It's fine, you know the dumpster fire list of coaches on the Knicks list the past decade and then some. I'm not saying anything new...no one really wants to work under James Dolan.

Nah, the FO and the coaching weren't really aligned before.

Mike D'antoni getting Melo with his SSOL or less was a bit dumb.
Phil Jackson...okay he was trash lol. He probably would have destroyed the career of any coach unfortunate to be under him, including Popovich.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#443 » by Oscirus » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:10 am

digitaldropoff wrote:
Oscirus wrote:

So the guys hired under Phil Jackson's watch? What's that got to do with Fitz?
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#444 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Read on Twitter

So they got the DEN 1st and a PHX 2nd for taking on a one year cap hit that ultimately amounts to 12 mil.

Let me guess the response:

“Who cares about a 2nd round pick?”

Goes to Robinson thread

Same person proclaiming he’s our future C

:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#445 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:13 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

So they got the DEN 1st and a PHX 2nd for taking on a one year cap hit that ultimately amounts to 12 mil.

Goes to Robinson thread

This has been my biggest worry about S.Perry that i've been saying all along which is can this guy be active and creative enough to get into these trade conversations with teams or will he just sit on his hands because he doesn't have the will to get involved. I think he could of gotten into a few trades so far that we heard nothing about the Knicks being involved in. Both trades the Nets have pulled off and this Melo trade with Atl. I think Timmy is more or as valuable as D.Schroeder is and they had a bigger need at SG then they did at PG.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,653

Post#446 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:26 pm

digitaldropoff wrote:
Oscirus wrote:

Your theory falls flat on it's face when it's a known fact that he got offered other jobs before us and held out to coach us... Other organizations thought he was a capable head coach unlike Hornacek and Fisher who weren't really in demand for any other jobs besides ours...
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,448

Post#447 » by Context » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:28 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Goes to Robinson thread

you cant make this sh*t up!
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#448 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:32 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Goes to Robinson thread

This has been my biggest worry about S.Perry that i've been saying all along which is can this guy be active and creative enough to get into these trade conversations with teams or will he just sit on his hands because he doesn't have the will to get involved. I think he could of gotten into a few trades so far that we heard nothing about the Knicks being involved in. Both trades the Nets have pulled off and this Melo trade with Atl. I think Timmy is more or as valuable as D.Schroeder is and they had a bigger need at SG then they did at PG.

This circled back to the THJ signing. Essentially passed on draft picks and the cap space provided without him on the books in 2019.

I hope they learned their lesson but i wouldn’t hold my breath.

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#449 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Context wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Goes to Robinson thread

you cant make this sh*t up!

Just said it - Mills chose THJ over multiple draft picks and 18+ in cap space for 2019.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#450 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:36 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Goes to Robinson thread

Yes people hit on 2nd round picks from time to time. That doesn't change the fact that the overwhelming majority of them are useless at the NBA level just like this one will most likely be especially since this one is protected to number 35....
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#451 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Goes to Robinson thread

Yes people hit on 2nd round picks from time to time. That doesn't change the fact that the overwhelming majority of them are useless at the NBA level just like this one will most likely be especially since this one is protected to number 35....

Robinson was #36

They also absorbed 9 mil in dead salary for one year to get a DEN 1st protected 1-12.

Maybe their picks become nothing. Or maybe they have a draft that helps build their core.

At least they put themselves in a position to have the opportunity to do it PLUS have the 2019 cap space we covet.

We choose THJ over

2018 #30
2019 DEN 1-12 protected
2019 PHX 2nd protected 31-35
2019 18 mil in cap space

Give me the picks and the space

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
RShahNyC89
Junior
And1: 404

Post#452 » by RShahNyC89 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:12 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Goes to Robinson thread

Robinson was #36

They also absorbed 9 mil in dead salary for one year to get a DEN 1st protected 1-12.

Maybe their picks become nothing. Or maybe they have a draft that helps build their core.

At least they put themselves in a position to have the opportunity to do it PLUS have the 2019 cap space we covet.

We choose THJ over

2018 #30
2019 DEN 1-12 protected
2019 18 mil in cap space

When you put it like that...holy f

Do you guys think this is a Mills not wanting to admit he made a mistake by signing THJr? Because even the people that think THJr is a worthwhile risk for 18mil a year shouldn't really believe its the right situation for the knicks...
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#453 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:49 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Goes to Robinson thread

Robinson was #36

We choose THJ over

2018 #30
2019 DEN 1-12 protected
2019 18 mil in cap space

We already built a core around multiple top 10 picks...KP, Knox, Frank and another likely one next year along with those fringe prospects that you love BK so much for in Burke, Robinson and Dotson(not so much but we can include him here if we're praising BK for getting the same kind of guys)

So you're saying you would rather be Brooklyn with a bunch of mediocre prospects with cap space (so basically us of the late 2000's)? Having Timmy is much more attractive for people that you actually want to use that cap space for then a bunch of late draft nobodies and maybes...

There is literally zero precedent for Free Agents all colluding to go somewhere that doesn't have an established star or some sort of culture of winning.... The closest situation I could think of would be Miami in 2010 but everyone knew Wade wasn't going to leave and they were able to use Wade's bird rights to fit Bron and Bosh coming in and they still needed to take discounts. Amare came here in 2010 because we paid him the most money (which we saw was a massive mistake)

Point, in all of this being, yes Bk has done the necessary things they needed to do to not be a complete dumpster fire but they don't have even a semblance of the kind of core you could see being a good team down the line. They have a mishmosh of fringe starter level guys with DAR being their best chance at a stud but his ceiling is slowly caving in on him. Meanwhile we have a few high level prospects who people think have All-Star potential in KP, Knox, and Frank. Also all of whom would have much higher trade value on the open market than anyone BK has. SO while BK has done an adequate job of clearing their decks for the future from the mess they created they still are way behind us in terms of a total rebuild..
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,495

Post#454 » by cgf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:17 pm

THJr will look a lot better coming off the bench as a 6th man type...but yeah, having the picks & capspace instead would be fantastic.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,494

Post#455 » by Meat » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:37 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Robinson was #36

We choose THJ over

2018 #30
2019 DEN 1-12 protected
2019 18 mil in cap space

We already built a core around multiple top 10 picks...KP, Knox, Frank and another likely one next year along with those fringe prospects that you love BK so much for in Burke, Robinson and Dotson(not so much but we can include him here if we're praising BK for getting the same kind of guys)

So you're saying you would rather be Brooklyn with a bunch of mediocre prospects with cap space (so basically us of the late 2000's)? Having Timmy is much more attractive for people that you actually want to use that cap space for then a bunch of late draft nobodies and maybes...

There is literally zero precedent for Free Agents all colluding to go somewhere that doesn't have an established star or some sort of culture of winning.... The closest situation I could think of would be Miami in 2010 but everyone knew Wade wasn't going to leave and they were able to use Wade's bird rights to fit Bron and Bosh coming in and they still needed to take discounts. Amare came here in 2010 because we paid him the most money (which we saw was a massive mistake)

Point, in all of this being, yes Bk has done the necessary things they needed to do to not be a complete dumpster fire but they don't have even a semblance of the kind of core you could see being a good team down the line. They have a mishmosh of fringe starter level guys with DAR being their best chance at a stud but his ceiling is slowly caving in on him. Meanwhile we have a few high level prospects who people think have All-Star potential in KP, Knox, and Frank. Also all of whom would have much higher trade value on the open market than anyone BK has. SO while BK has done an adequate job of clearing their decks for the future from the mess they created they still are way behind us in terms of a total rebuild..

its not an either or,
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#456 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Meat wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Robinson was #36

We choose THJ over

2018 #30
2019 DEN 1-12 protected
2019 18 mil in cap space

its not an either or,

Didn't say it had to be.
Bklyn&company
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,051

Post#457 » by Bklyn&company » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:48 pm

All I know is this year is trash! And it doesn't make sense for guys like Lee, Lance Thomas. Noah etc... to play a single minute for the Knicks this year...
cgf
RealGM

Post#458 » by cgf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Bklyn&company wrote:All I know is this year is trash! And it doesn't make sense for guys like Lee, Lance Thomas. Noah etc... to play a single minute for the Knicks this year...

Eh, we only have so many kids with significant NBA talent & you don't want to put them in a position to fail by sending the kids out there as part a dysfunctional team. Lance Thomas isn't gunna be here for long, isn't gunna score much & isn't exactly fast, but he's probably our best defensive forward (if we consider Porzi a "center"). And so Lance could well be our best bet to start next to Kanter given that we're probably going to have to overcome the defense of THJr & a rookie Knox on the wings as well...or Hezonja if Knox isn't ready to start from day 1...and Frank's good, but he can't be the only good defender on the court for a team that has any hope of getting the ball back by any means other than in-bounds passes.

Similar story with Lee, his D, 3 & unselfishness could actually be good for the development of our kids...which is why I kinda want to see a Frank, Lee, Knox, Thomas & Kanter starting lineup with Burke/Mudiay, THJr, Dot, Mario, Mitch & Kornet, coming off the bench if Knox is ready for a heavier scoring burden quickly.

I know some want to just play all U21s, but development is about a lot more than just giving PT exclusively to children.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#459 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Meat wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

its not an either or,

Didn't say it had to be.

That’s what the highlighted comes off as.

I never said I want to be them. I never made it into us VS them. I’m pretty over the top in my admiration and defense of our kids. Who the hell is defending Dotson? :lol:

I want our core plus our 2019 picks plus

2018 pick #30
2019 DEN 1st
2019 PHX 2nd
18 mil more in cap space

You would be beyond a max level deal for a 7-9. Move Lee and stretch Noah, you’re getting close to a 2nd max. Or, if you really do think you want no more kids, now you have extra assets to move Noah.

If I’m a stud FA, give me that possible situation over just signing up to what the Knicks are now.

Maybe someone signs here regardless of the worse situation we put ourselves in and saves this franchise anyway. :dontknow:

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
cgf
RealGM

Post#460 » by cgf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Thinking of any FA saving us is the wrong mentality for this franchise. Our young core needs to save us, that Max Cat just has to help the young core reach its full potential & learn to be as good as they can. Once they're a serious player in the East we can see what changes need to be made for us to become real title contenders if Kyrie/Kemba + KP + the Fizkids & 2019 1st reaching their potential, won't cut it. That's why I'm more concerned with fit than pure talent next summer.

i.e. if we draft another wing/forward with our 2019 1st & Kyrie re-signs with the Celtics, but we can get Kemba Walker...especially if we can get him on a 1+1 starting around 25M...to help Frank run this team & let the kids lead a serious playoff run, mentoring Frank in the process. Then I'd take Kemba over Butler with ease despite Butler being the better player.

If Kawhi or Durant wanted to sign with us next summer then obviously, fit be damned, you take the top 5 player & make it work...but I don't think that's all too likely to be the situation we run into.

Return to New York Knicks