ImageImage

Welcome to ATL Trae Young

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Re: Welcome to ATL Trae Young 

Post#101 » by steady » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:06 pm

ATL Boy wrote:I'm glad Trae Young is taking the advice in stride and is appreciative of it. Not all 19-year-olds who have repeatedly been touted as the next big thing by the media would be open to learning from criticism like that.

From what I've seen so far, Trae has a great head on his shoulders and looks like he has a great work ethic to boot. It gives me hope that he won't get lost in the sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I agree.

Summer League can give some indication of base talent level but NBA success has so much to do with hard work and attitude. Trae’s resilience and ability to learn and improve even over short SL time were really impressive to me
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#102 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:45 am

Read on Twitter
GoodDayLa
Junior
And1: 45

Post#103 » by GoodDayLa » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:34 pm

I was watching the Alabama Oklahoma replay last night and saw Sexton v. Trae more closely.

Trae has a tremendous amount of skill and good instincts, but he's not an explosive athlete and he is not the strongest guy. You could see Sexton try to muscle Trae around the basket when Bama was on offense.

Trae has a tendency to jump pass fading backwards when he is doubled up high. It's dangerous. And the athletes are longer and bigger at the NBA level. Maybe it won't be a problem, but I'll keep an eye out.

I feel like Trae needs some junkyard dogs who are physical on the floor with him. He also could use another teammate who can create shots when he gets that hard double or high trap. That's where a healthy Jeremy Lin would help the team most if Trae is taken out of the play.

But playing 2 PG's together is unlikely because this team has no other PGs as of now.

It will be interesting to see if Coach LP rolls out the ball for Trae to go more OKC 2.0 or if coach has a gameplan to balance out the offense. Seemed like Lon Kruger ran out of ideas.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,474

Post#104 » by dms269 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:25 pm

We don't mention Lon Kruger in Atlanta.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#105 » by Roy Tarpley » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:39 pm

A good article on the The Ringer about Trae Young.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/7/24/17605788/trae-young-rookie-curve
steady
Veteran

Post#106 » by steady » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:A good article on the The Ringer about Trae Young.

This is a good read. Some highlights:

"All the attention next season will be on what Trae Young does with the ball, but the more important question is how much he grows off of it."

"A huge part of Curry’s game in the NBA is playing off the ball, something Young rarely did in college. According to the tracking numbers at Synergy Sports, 23.1 percent of Curry’s offensive possessions in Golden State last season came when he ran around screens off the ball or got to the rim on a cut. Young, in contrast, used only 3.7 percent of his possessions on those plays in college and 4.9 percent in summer league. He took a lot of difficult shots at Oklahoma, which is one reason he shot only 36 percent from 3, despite his reputation as a knockdown shooter."

"It’s not as simple as just spotting up and waiting for the ball. Moving without the ball in the NBA, where bigger and stronger defenders grab and hold as much as they can get away with, isn’t easy. When Young didn’t have the ball this summer, he mostly stood in one spot and caught his breath. When he did try to move, he had trouble getting open.

That learning process is what Dennis Smith Jr., the no. 9 overall pick in last year’s draft, went through as a rookie in Dallas."
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#107 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Interesting comparison between Trae and DSJ

They will have some similar experiences but I think Trae will be the better player cuz he's the better shooter and passer.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
birdlives_ma
Senior
And1: 779

Post#108 » by birdlives_ma » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:31 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:

Interesting comparison between Trae and DSJ

They will have some similar experiences but I think Trae will be the better player cuz he's the better shooter and passer.

Agreed. I’m kind of all set with the “PG-sized supernatural athlete with questionable PG skills” archetype at this point. Everyone’s been hitting Trae with that “for every steph there’s 10 cam Payne” line, but the same is true for those other dudes. For every Westbrook, there’s a pile of mudiay’s lol

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#109 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Aug 7, 2018 10:27 pm

Read on Twitter
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,901

Post#110 » by HMFFL » Tue Aug 7, 2018 10:48 pm

On his Instagram page a few weeks back he surprised his parents with a new SUV. Well, they have surprised him or allowed him to purchase a new Audi. The young man is on top of the world right now!

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
steady
Veteran

Post#111 » by steady » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Trae's composure and confidence is so off the charts, it is hard to understand in someone so young. But in a League where success is built as much on mental strength as physical strength, those qualities should serve him well.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#112 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Trae Young is eager to learn from Jeremy Lin
https://clutchpoints.com/hawks-news-trae-young-eager-learn-jeremy-lin/

“From what I’ve heard, he’s going to be a great mentor for me,” Young said of Lin. “We’ve been talking. He’s a good dude. He’s been through the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. He’s seen it all, so I’m looking forward to picking his brain.”

Young does not exactly have the most modest of reputations, so hearing this type of humility from the teenager is a definite indication of his maturity. He is eager to learn and is willing to play second fiddle to Lin, who himself is expected to be the starting point guard for the Hawks.

“I think we’ll work really well together,” added Young. “This is a rebuilding team, and we’re going to try some things. Some are going to work, some aren’t, so we’re just going to work together and do whatever we can to turn this franchise around.”

Just like Young said, Lin has been through a lot, and he should be able to teach his more youthful counterpart a thing or two about the ins and outs of the NBA. So long as Young keeps his head in the right place, he could very well be the next big thing for Atlanta.

Would really appreciate if anyone has the original article.
Thanks for the honesty.
steady
Veteran

Post#113 » by steady » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:42 pm

steady
Veteran

Post#114 » by steady » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:44 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:Trae Young is eager to learn from Jeremy Lin

“From what I’ve heard, he’s going to be a great mentor for me,” Young said of Lin. “We’ve been talking. He’s a good dude. He’s been through the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. He’s seen it all, so I’m looking forward to picking his brain.”

Young does not exactly have the most modest of reputations, so hearing this type of humility from the teenager is a definite indication of his maturity. He is eager to learn and is willing to play second fiddle to Lin, who himself is expected to be the starting point guard for the Hawks.

“I think we’ll work really well together,” added Young. “This is a rebuilding team, and we’re going to try some things. Some are going to work, some aren’t, so we’re just going to work together and do whatever we can to turn this franchise around.”

Just like Young said, Lin has been through a lot, and he should be able to teach his more youthful counterpart a thing or two about the ins and outs of the NBA. So long as Young keeps his head in the right place, he could very well be the next big thing for Atlanta.

https://theathletic.com/468344/2018/08/11/under-the-guidance-of-jeremy-lin-hawks-rookie-trae-young-hopes-to-lead-atlanta-back-to-a-winning-culture/

Let me know if you have trouble opening
steady
Veteran

Post#115 » by steady » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:49 pm

“It’s all about winning,” Young said Friday at an NBPA camp appearance at Basketball City. “It’s all about getting the culture back to what it was when Al Horford was there, Jeff Teague and they were in the Eastern Conference finals and winning 60 games. That’s my goal. I want to get back to winning, and I know the city of Atlanta wants that, and it’s our job to bring it back.”

When asked what he thought of the comparisons to Curry before the draft, Young told The Athletic: “I think everybody is different. Everybody is going to have comparisons, some better than others. I mean, comparisons are what they are, but to be honest, I’m about to be a rookie in the NBA. I’m not a champion or an MVP yet. That’s what I want to be. That’s what I feel like I’m going to be. But, right now, I’m about to be a rookie in the NBA, so I’ve got to focus on being better at myself than trying to compete and be like someone else.”

“I think we picked up some great guys (Kevin Huerter and Omari Spellman) in the draft,” Young said when asked if he felt like Schlenk was trying to build another version of the Warriors. “Luckily all of us rookies have known each other since high school, early on in high school. It was great to come in with guys that I’m familiar with, and we’re all close to each other. I think what Travis is doing is building something big for the future, and hiring Coach Pierce is great for me and for everybody on this team. I think Atlanta’s going to like what’s coming.”

“I want people to remember me as someone that’s about more than just basketball and someone who likes to shoot threes and pass the ball. (I want to be remembered) As someone who was big on community, big on family, big into Christ and my faith, and just someone who was different. I want to be somebody who you don’t see a lot of and hopefully change the community and make more people like me want to give back and make it about others before themselves. That’s the main thing.”
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#116 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:16 am

steady wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Trae Young is eager to learn from Jeremy Lin

https://theathletic.com/468344/2018/08/11/under-the-guidance-of-jeremy-lin-hawks-rookie-trae-young-hopes-to-lead-atlanta-back-to-a-winning-culture/

Let me know if you have trouble opening

Yea, don't wanna register, thx! (more plz?)

steady wrote:“It’s all about winning,” Young said Friday at an NBPA camp appearance at Basketball City. “It’s all about getting the culture back to what it was when Al Horford was there, Jeff Teague and they were in the Eastern Conference finals and winning 60 games. That’s my goal. I want to get back to winning, and I know the city of Atlanta wants that, and it’s our job to bring it back.”

When asked what he thought of the comparisons to Curry before the draft, Young told The Athletic: “I think everybody is different. Everybody is going to have comparisons, some better than others. I mean, comparisons are what they are, but to be honest, I’m about to be a rookie in the NBA. I’m not a champion or an MVP yet. That’s what I want to be. That’s what I feel like I’m going to be. But, right now, I’m about to be a rookie in the NBA, so I’ve got to focus on being better at myself than trying to compete and be like someone else.”

“I think we picked up some great guys (Kevin Huerter and Omari Spellman) in the draft,” Young said when asked if he felt like Schlenk was trying to build another version of the Warriors. “Luckily all of us rookies have known each other since high school, early on in high school. It was great to come in with guys that I’m familiar with, and we’re all close to each other. I think what Travis is doing is building something big for the future, and hiring Coach Pierce is great for me and for everybody on this team. I think Atlanta’s going to like what’s coming.”

“I want people to remember me as someone that’s about more than just basketball and someone who likes to shoot threes and pass the ball. (I want to be remembered) As someone who was big on community, big on family, big into Christ and my faith, and just someone who was different. I want to be somebody who you don’t see a lot of and hopefully change the community and make more people like me want to give back and make it about others before themselves. That’s the main thing.”

It's great that the rooks are close to each other, that really should help with camaraderie, chemistry and motivation.

Trae being a big Christian would surely be a good thing with Lin.
Thanks for the honesty.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#117 » by graymule » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:40 pm

:D
READING THESE ARTICLES MAKE ME ALL THE MORE OPTIMISTIC ABOU THIS SEASON! I HOPE OUR ROOKIE COACH CAN DO AS WELL AS THE ATLANTA DREAM'S ROOKIE COACH, DON'T YOU....

8-)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#118 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Quote of the day:

Trae Young wrote:I’m putting all my individual goals aside; it’s all about winning. It’s all about getting the culture back to what it was when Al Horford was there, Jeff Teague and they were in the Eastern Conference Finals and won 60 games. That’s my goal. I want to get back to winning, and I know the city of Atlanta wants that, and it’s our job to bring it back.
SB Nation
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#119 » by Roy Tarpley » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:12 pm

The players want to win. I think the management will pay lip service to this too, at least until December/January. If the team is looking terrible, then we'll see Dedmon/Bazemore/Lin shipped off.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,869

Post#120 » by jayu70 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:The players want to win. I think the management will pay lip service to this too, at least until December/January. If the team is looking terrible, then we'll see Dedmon/Bazemore/Lin shipped off.

Players and coaches have typically always wanted to win....rhe front office? A different approach.

Return to Atlanta Hawks