ImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Brickley on Working with Frank and Kanter

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,880

Chris Brickley on Working with Frank and Kanter 

Post#1 » by GONYK » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Brickley has also worked this summer with two current Knicks. He and Frank Ntilikina have spent time on allowing the 6-6 Knicks guard to use his size over small defenders and to develop moves in the post. The work they did together was clear when Ntilikina started hitting turnaround jumpers during Summer League. But most of the work Brickley has done with Ntilikina, he says, is focused on the mindset of a player who turned 20 on Saturday.

“One of our main focuses after this season has been just being aggressive,” Brickley said. “If you go back to pre-draft, we’d do shooting drills, dribbling drills, he had all the skills, he just needed to keep that mindset and bring it to the court and be aggressive. I kept stressing to him the more aggressive you are, everything else will open up. We’re just working on mindset and being aggressive, his shooting, his ball-handling, basically his overall game. One thing that we worked on and he did it a few times in Summer League, we were working on when he has a guard that’s smaller than him, penetrating to the paint, those pivots, shooting over those little guards a little bit and that was great. I think he has such a great upside, especially defensively. I think coach (David) Fizdale is going to allow him to be a little more aggressive and I think he needs someone to believe in him so he gets that confidence.”

Brickley has also been working with Enes Kanter this summer. Part of their workouts have centered on adding a 3-pointer to Kanter’s game. Kanter has only taken 109 3s in his seven-year career, hitting 29.4 percent of them, but has dabbled a bit in some seasons. He took 45 in 2014-15 and hit 35.6 percent. He took 38 in his last season in Oklahoma City but hit just 13.2 percent.

Brickley says Kanter’s shot has translated well, in part because of his mechanics in the mid-range. While Kanter hit just 14-of-34 shots from 16 feet to the 3-point line, Brickley says he’s been “consistent” with his mid-range shot.

“That’s actually one of his main things for the summer,” Brickley said of Kanter shooting 3s. “Coach Fizdale told him that he wanted him to work on his 3-point shot. We still get our post work in, for sure. We get in all of our skill work but we get up 3s every single day. He’s shooting, actually, really well. We shot 100 3s today at the end of the workout and he made 72/100 and that was all on the move. He’s improving. It’s a big step being able to do it in the gym as opposed to Madison Square Garden with 30,000 people there but we’re working on it, so hopefully that can show once the season starts.”

https://theathletic.com/448674/2018/07/30/chris-brickley-trainer-to-nba-stars-knows-the-mindset-of-carmelo-anthony-and-frank-ntilikina-headed-into-the-season/
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Re: Chris Brickley on Working with Frank and Kanter 

Post#2 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:37 pm

Would be dope if MSG could fit 30,000 people.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#3 » by earthmansurfer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:40 pm

Nice article. A bit sad that the guys name is Brickley. I mean you can't make this stuff up.
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#4 » by Huey Freeman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:48 pm

Frank needs to seek out Rod Strickland and learn how to be a crafty penetrator and learn to get to the hole any time he wants.
Revolution starts in the mind...
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,177

Post#5 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:02 pm

If Fiz gets Kanter to shoot 37% from three point range and be decent on defense a lot attitudes about Kanter will change around here.
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#6 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Frank only needs to turn on the offensive aggression part-time. He can floor general and set up his teammates and switch it up often enough with his own moves to keep people guessing.

And the more Frank takes it inside to collapse defenses the more his teammates will be open for him to dish.

I can see lots of future plays where Frank takes it into the paint and any one of Robinson, KP or Knox either trails Frank to take a pass in stride and jam it or cuts from the corner to the rim for a lob.
ImageImageImage
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,004

Post#7 » by god shammgod » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:If Fiz gets Kanter to shoot 37% from three point range and be decent on defense a lot attitudes about Kanter will change around here.

not for me. because we're not resigning him. nor should we. him playing well does nothing for the knicks future. we need our cap space for an all-star. that's it. there isn't room for him or anyone else. we're gonna max out kp, we have timmy who we can't get rid of and we have some young kids who we don't have to pay for a couple of years. so before we have to pay them, we should be smart about the rest of the cap and only sign someone who is a real difference maker. and that person will never be enes kanter.
Trav_NYK
Pro Prospect
And1: 295

Post#8 » by Trav_NYK » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:02 pm

those turn around jumpers he has been working on looks very good, i hope he hits a lot of those during this season
"This is Me7o"
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#9 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:07 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:If Fiz gets Kanter to shoot 37% from three point range and be decent on defense a lot attitudes about Kanter will change around here.

not for me. because we're not resigning him. nor should we. him playing well does nothing for the knicks future. we need our cap space for an all-star. that's it. there isn't room for him or anyone else. we're gonna max out kp, we have timmy who we can't get rid of. and we have some young kids who we don't have to pay for a couple of years. so before we have to pay them, we should be smart about the rest of the cap and only sign someone who is a real difference maker. and that person will never be enes kanter.

ImageImageImage
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,353

Post#10 » by F N 11 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:55 pm

For about 8 Million backing up KP ill be fine. This is only an option after signing a max off course.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#11 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 pm

K P 6 wrote:

For about 8 Million backing up KP ill be fine. This is only an option after signing a max off course.

You'll have to clear that one with Shamdolan
ImageImageImage
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#12 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:17 pm

god shammgod wrote:

not for me. because we're not resigning him. nor should we. him playing well does nothing for the knicks future. we need our cap space for an all-star. that's it. there isn't room for him or anyone else. we're gonna max out kp, we have timmy who we can't get rid of and we have some young kids who we don't have to pay for a couple of years. so before we have to pay them, we should be smart about the rest of the cap and only sign someone who is a real difference maker. and that person will never be enes kanter.

wouldn't kanter in that state be the kind of player you're talking about?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,496

Post#13 » by cgf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 pm

I'd be down to bring Kanter back on the MLE to be Durant's fulltime buddy, especially if he's able to space the floor...even if he never becomes a capable defender.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#14 » by god shammgod » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

a perennial all-star ? he's not gonna improve that much. i'm confident that he'll never be that. he's not gonna shoot 37 percent from 3 and he's not gonna get that much better on d. he's slow and doesn't have the athletic ability to switch. they can't train him out of those limitations. look at what teams are paying for similar centers. if you wanted a kanter type, even an improved one, you add him after all your main players are in place using the mle. now is not the time.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#15 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:29 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

a perennial all-star ? he's not gonna improve that much. i'm confident that he'll never be that. he's not gonna shoot 37 percent from 3 and he's not gonna get that much better on d. he's slow and doesn't have the athletic ability to switch. they can't train him out of those limitations. look at what teams are paying for similar centers. if you wanted a kanter type, you add him after all your main players are in place using the mle. now is not the time.

One thing I think we can say for sure is if Robinson proves to be a decent student of the game he is the future and that would make Kanter a bench player right there.

So if that's the case and the market for Kanter is as bad as it was for KOQ, then $5M a year to have Kanter come off the bench and beat the crap out of people might still be a good deal.

Yes? No! Work with me!
ImageImageImage
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#16 » by god shammgod » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

a perennial all-star ? he's not gonna improve that much. i'm confident that he'll never be that. he's not gonna shoot 37 percent from 3 and he's not gonna get that much better on d. he's slow and doesn't have the athletic ability to switch. they can't train him out of those limitations. look at what teams are paying for similar centers. if you wanted a kanter type, you add him after all your main players are in place using the mle. now is not the time.

One thing I think we can say for sure is if Robinson proves to be a decent student of the game he is the future and that would make Kanter a bench player right there.

So if that's the case and the market for Kanter is as bad as it was for KOQ, then $5M a year to have Kanter come off the bench and beat the crap out of people might still be a good deal.

Yes? No! Work with me!

but it's like i said, you need to spend that 5 mle after you get your main guys. you have kanter/lance expiring this year and lee/noah next. you want all of that money available. at that point you can sign him if you wanted. i wouldn't but at least it would make sense.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#17 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:39 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

Yes? No! Work with me!

but it's like i said, you need to spend that 5 mle after you get your main guys. you have kanter/lance expiring this year and lee/noah next. you want all of that money available. at that point you can sign him if you wanted. i wouldn't but at least it would make sense.

Insert [Jim Carrey, "So there's a chance?"] here

I don't even have any strong feelings about whether Kanter would be useful after this season, just spitballing. At the right price he could be tempting as a bench player so in terms of committing major money to him I'm in agreement with you already
ImageImageImage
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#18 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:43 pm

If Kanter can just hold his own on defense he will be one of the best centers in the nba

i dont need him shooting 3s when his % is so good inside
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#19 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:44 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:

If Kanter can just hold his own on defense he will be one of the best centers in the nba

i dont need him shooting 3s when his % is so good inside

Everybody shoots threes these days though just like you and I are now gender non-specific
ImageImageImage
RealGM
And1: 39,071

Post#20 » by 2010 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:57 pm

If Frank can develop a power game at 6'6" as a PG (posing up smaller guards, a turnaround/fadeaway jumper, using long strides and length to get to the rim, and finishing through contact) it'll go a long way towards alleviating and negating all the concerns I had bout his game.

* Lack of aggression, passive mental approach and mentality
* Lack of a strong 1st step and explosion
* Lack of elite athleticism
* Lack of quickness/twitchiness
* Lack of polish, finishing on awkward drives

Between Brick influencing him to develop a power game and with Fiz teaching all our young players to work on their finishing skills (through contact, jumping off the wrong foot with intention, using their off hand, using the floater) and with both Brick/Fiz coaxing him to be more aggressive hopefully we see the fruits of their labor in year two.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter

Return to New York Knicks