ImageImageImageImageImage

2018-2019 College/Draft Thread (part 1)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,753

Re: 2018-2019 College/Draft Thread (part 1) 

Post#341 » by cgf » Thu Aug 2, 2018 3:53 pm

HEZI wrote:
cgf wrote:
HEZI wrote:
So intrigued with this kid. I really can't wait to see how he looks on the college level but so far he's showing a lot of flashes of being the next big NBA superstar.

Is he even gunna play in college? He's the top recruit in the country & isn't even looking at schools now. I've got a feel we'll see him reclassify for the 2019 draft to take advantage of the weak PG class.

No idea but it would be great for us if he did do that

Yeah, that could just be wishful thinking on my part :lol:
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cgf
RealGM

Post#342 » by cgf » Thu Aug 2, 2018 4:03 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
cgf wrote:
PorzinGAWD wrote:
I think the way the draft is going to go most teams are going to say the reverse in that they prefer Reddish but have warmed up to Little or Sekou.

Regardless I hope the knicks get a pick to make that decision. Its been over 30 years since they moved up in the draft. They deserve a little luck.

I hope so, but I'm pretty sure that if the draft was today Little would go top 3...top 2 if Anthony doesn't reclassify...and I'd take him over Barrett; who's too mechanical for me. Teams are going to see Kawhi 2.0 in Nassir with that amazing perimeter D, exceptional length & athleticism, smooth jumper, and the way he comes up big in big games.

Doumbouya might not get the PT in France to build huge hype, but he doesn't have any big question marks about his game like Reddish does. Sekou's basically a more powerfully built Knox with more advanced playmaking.

Whereas Reddish has those motor questions to answer...plus with Barrett & Zion going to Duke to, he could have a really hard time asserting himself. That's why I'm thinking Cam is the most like of this trio to slip out of the top 5 for us, if our kids over-achieve & we don't get any lotto-luck.

23 minutes per game overseas last year. As for the comp, nope. He absolutely has question marks about his game. Trust me, I've seen them and watched every Synergy clip on him there was.

I've only seen him play a couple of times, so my opinion isn't exactly hard set yet lol; though my french friend who I usually talk to about soccer...he works for one of the academies in france & a lot of my friends back in germany work in PR for german football clubs...was gushing about Sekou when basketball came up. Though he loves him some france, he's good about being critical of young french talents & the way he described Sekou jived with the player I saw Doumbouya have the foundation to become. Namely a combo forward who's jumper has made great strides, who can create with the ball in his hands, has huge upside defensively, and the powerful frame to be able to deputize as a smallball 5 down the line.

What are the big question marks with Doumbouya that I haven't noticed yet?

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#343 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Aug 2, 2018 4:11 pm

cgf wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
cgf wrote:
I hope so, but I'm pretty sure that if the draft was today Little would go top 3...top 2 if Anthony doesn't reclassify...and I'd take him over Barrett; who's too mechanical for me. Teams are going to see Kawhi 2.0 in Nassir with that amazing perimeter D, exceptional length & athleticism, smooth jumper, and the way he comes up big in big games.

Doumbouya might not get the PT in France to build huge hype, but he doesn't have any big question marks about his game like Reddish does. Sekou's basically a more powerfully built Knox with more advanced playmaking.

Whereas Reddish has those motor questions to answer...plus with Barrett & Zion going to Duke to, he could have a really hard time asserting himself. That's why I'm thinking Cam is the most like of this trio to slip out of the top 5 for us, if our kids over-achieve & we don't get any lotto-luck.

23 minutes per game overseas last year. As for the comp, nope. He absolutely has question marks about his game. Trust me, I've seen them and watched every Synergy clip on him there was.

I've only seen him play a couple of times, so my opinion isn't exactly hard set yet lol; though my french friend who I usually talk to about soccer...he works for one of the academies in france & a lot of my friends back in germany work in PR for german football clubs...was gushing about Sekou when basketball came up. Though he loves him some france, he's good about being critical of young french talents & the way he described Sekou jived with the player I saw Doumbouya have the foundation to become. Namely a combo forward who's jumper has made great strides, who can create with the ball in his hands, has huge upside defensively, and the powerful frame to be able to deputize as a smallball 5 down the line.

Loose handle, step(s) slow on defense, poor finisher, and shooting isn’t there yet (form looks WAY better in a clip I saw a couple days ago, which is good). As for playmaking - I don’t think he has that at all. Didn’t show it at the U18s either.

Upside for sure, but that’s really it.
cgf
RealGM

Post#344 » by cgf » Thu Aug 2, 2018 4:21 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
cgf wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:23 minutes per game overseas last year. As for the comp, nope. He absolutely has question marks about his game. Trust me, I've seen them and watched every Synergy clip on him there was.

Loose handle, step(s) slow on defense, poor finisher, and shooting isn’t there yet (form looks WAY better in a clip I saw a couple days ago, which is good). As for playmaking - I don’t think he has that at all. Didn’t show it at the U18s either.

Is his handle significantly looser than Knox's? That's an aspect of the game I'm not great unless a kid has an obvious issue...dribbling too high / avoiding his off hand / dribbling off his foot often.

His shot isn't there yet, but that form has me believing it'll start dropping regularly...like I feel about Frank & Knox. Sure there's always McLemore's out there who has the prettiest shot that never goes in; but I generally give kids with good form the benefit of the doubt.

From what I remember he spent some time initiating the offense & I liked the way he delivered kickouts or swung it around the perimeter...again in a very limited sample. I guess I let Kentucky-Knox affect my perception too much when I said Sekou's more advanced as a playmaker, but it felt like a more natural part of his game than Knox's when I watched him...granted I never watched Knox in HS, and he showed a lot more potential as a passer in SL than I was expecting.

And slow on defense in what sense? Reading the action / reacting around the rim / staying in front of dudes on the perimeter? Like I said I see more a stretch 4 / smallball 5 in him, so he doesn't need to be as quick on the perimeter as someone like Little.

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#345 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Aug 2, 2018 4:38 pm

cgf wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
cgf wrote:

Is his handle significantly looser than Knox's? That's an aspect of the game I'm not great unless a kid has an obvious issue...dribbling too high / avoiding his off hand / dribbling off his foot often.

His shot isn't there yet, but that form has me believing it'll start dropping regularly...like I feel about Frank & Knox. Sure there's always McLemore's out there who has the prettiest shot that never goes in; but I generally give kids with good form the benefit of the doubt.

From what I remember he spent some time initiating the offense & I liked the way he delivered kickouts or swung it around the perimeter...again in a very limited sample. I guess I let Kentucky-Knox affect my perception too much when I said Sekou's more advanced as a playmaker, but it felt like a more natural part of his game than Knox's when I watched him...granted I never watched Knox in HS, and he showed a lot more potential as a passer in SL than I was expecting.

And slow on defense in what sense? Reading the action / reacting around the rim / staying in front of dudes on the perimeter? Like I said I see more a stretch 4 / smallball 5 in him, so he doesn't need to be as quick on the perimeter as someone like Little.

Handle is looser than Knox's IMO. Last year's form was not good, IMO. It looks like he's made a few changes and looks way better. His offense, in general, is very very raw. 24th percentile overall, 26th on jumpers, 32nd around rim (does not take contact well, left hand looks bad, right hand limited touch). 18% turnover rate for someone who had his role is bad, and 9% FT rate is bad as well. 9 total possessions creating in the PnR last year...that's nothing. If he was ever used as a creator, and I don't think he ever really was, it was just a simple drive/kick. His best offensive skill was cutting (on film and Synergy wise), but because of his finishing, even that was mediocre. 37th percentile there. His U18s weren't all that great, either. I thought Frank definitely looked better, and Mokoka showed more skill as well (he's actually someone I really like as a 3/D guy long term - reminds me of Kelenna Azubuike).

As for his defense, slow reacting. He moves his feet fine, but he does not have the awareness - like I said, he seemed a step or more slow on rotations. I started watching him because I thought if he had anything going for him, it'd be his defense. I came away pretty disappointed off of what I saw with him playing with Poitiers last year. Maybe that's an age thing and he looks better this year playing with a new team (Limoges), but he's raw.

His athleticism doesn't even pop either...

As for position, he's a 4 - especially in today's NBA. I can definitely see some small ball 5 in the future, as you said, but he has a ways to go to reach his full potential. As of right now, I see a better Al Farouq Aminu more than any other player - those Giannis comparisons which people were throwing out last year were wayyyyyy off base. Another year of experience, a tighter shot, tighter handle, and a year of defensive improvement could do wonders and change that projection, but I think people generally have the wrong idea about what he is now. Potential is there, though...as it is with every player his age.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,944

Post#346 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Aug 2, 2018 7:20 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
PorzinGAWD wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Mitchell at 36 isn't a little luck?

That was due to bad scouting from the rest of the league. That success was based more on the Knicks FO hard work and preparation. Props to them, but I want lotto luck!

You add a Cam Reddish or RJ to our young core and we got something special.

Not sure how bad we really are. A lot depends on when KP comes back. How much does Frank improve? Do Knox and/or Mitch have any immediate impact? What does Hezonja bring? Burke? Timmy? Mudiay? Kanter? Etc etc. What can Fiz and friends do?

Atlanta will most likely have the worst record. After that I don't know. What teams are in the tank brigade? Brooklyn? Orlando? We could be top 5 bad. Then we have to nail the pick.

I can't wait to see what we have this year. Who knows what's going to happen. I'm going to enjoy watching kids develop. The more we have that stick...the better we should be. The tank is not on my mind at all. We should lose just on having so many projects naturally. Inexperience. New coach and all that brings. The better the coach and his staff...the better the team. I will except the W/L record and the draft position. It will be a product of coaching and talent developing. That's all I can ask for after 18 years of misery.

Agree 100%.

I think we'll be rite on par with atlanta for the worst record in the league.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,453

Post#347 » by damedash09 » Thu Aug 2, 2018 7:47 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
PorzinGAWD wrote:
That was due to bad scouting from the rest of the league. That success was based more on the Knicks FO hard work and preparation. Props to them, but I want lotto luck!

You add a Cam Reddish or RJ to our young core and we got something special.

Not sure how bad we really are. A lot depends on when KP comes back. How much does Frank improve? Do Knox and/or Mitch have any immediate impact? What does Hezonja bring? Burke? Timmy? Mudiay? Kanter? Etc etc. What can Fiz and friends do?

Atlanta will most likely have the worst record. After that I don't know. What teams are in the tank brigade? Brooklyn? Orlando? We could be top 5 bad. Then we have to nail the pick.

I can't wait to see what we have this year. Who knows what's going to happen. I'm going to enjoy watching kids develop. The more we have that stick...the better we should be. The tank is not on my mind at all. We should lose just on having so many projects naturally. Inexperience. New coach and all that brings. The better the coach and his staff...the better the team. I will except the W/L record and the draft position. It will be a product of coaching and talent developing. That's all I can ask for after 18 years of misery.

Agree 100%.

I think we'll be rite on par with atlanta for the worst record in the league.

Kings will have the worse rec in the NBa especially since theycplay in the west
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#348 » by Mecca » Thu Aug 2, 2018 8:27 pm

Might go to Dykeman 8/18. SLAM Summerslam going to have a bunch of top HS kids including the god Cole Anthony.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Illightinati
Senior
And1: 454

Post#349 » by Illightinati » Fri Aug 3, 2018 6:03 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788220-way-too-soon-look-at-potential-lottery-picks-in-the-2019-nba-draft#slide11

Didn't see this posted, but This draft is Wing Galore. A good 15 slots should be wings in the Top 25.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#350 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 9:22 pm

Read on Twitter
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#351 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Aug 5, 2018 11:02 pm

Read on Twitter
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,702

Post#352 » by JohnWillow » Mon Aug 6, 2018 5:06 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I know you were watching the U-18 European competition, Arturs Zagars is big time prospect right?

I think he is eligible for this years draft, but likely will he will declare for the 2020 draft class.

He was avg in semifinals and finals like 30 points and 10 assists, like holy sh***.
Celtics fan. :crazy:
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#353 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Aug 6, 2018 5:58 pm

JohnWillow wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I know you were watching the U-18 European competition, Arturs Zagars is big time prospect right?

I think he is eligible for this years draft, but likely will he will declare for the 2020 draft class.

He was avg in semifinals and finals like 30 points and 10 assists, like holy sh***.

Just finished watching yesterday's game this morning (in the middle of the ocean right now). Holy ****, man. He's been my favorite PG prospect in the tournament by a decent margin - watched all of Latvia's games. Funny thing is, I started watching them because of Kurucs (wanting to see how the younger brother is), and then immediately turned my attention to Zagars.
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,702

Post#354 » by JohnWillow » Mon Aug 6, 2018 6:58 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
JohnWillow wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just finished watching yesterday's game this morning (in the middle of the ocean right now). Holy ****, man. He's been my favorite PG prospect in the tournament by a decent margin - watched all of Latvia's games. Funny thing is, I started watching them because of Kurucs (wanting to see how the younger brother is), and then immediately turned my attention to Zagars.

I first noticed him at the Youth Olympics in Tbilisi when he was 15 years old, this little guy at that time he was like legit 5'8' tall only looked like a 10 year old kid on the floor, but oh maaan he was just so much better than everyone else.

Here is one game highlights from that tourney, just look how small he is on the court.

His IQ is of the chart, the passing skills, even his first step is so quick, can finish around the rim with either hand, very aggresive, the creativity on the court, eurostep, Rondo behind the back fake, just joy to watch... and he can shoot and create for himself also? I might overreact , but he might be the next big thing in European basketball imo.

He last year debuted in the ACB league, and his first made basket was impressive for a 17 year old.

The fact that at age of 18 his one of the go to move is Rondo behind the back fake is just mindblowing for me.

But that height he is just only 6'2''... now that's a bummer.
Celtics fan. :crazy:
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#355 » by N Y K » Tue Aug 7, 2018 11:05 pm

230 lbs. 2 years ago...? :o

QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#356 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Wed Aug 8, 2018 12:18 am

N Y K wrote:230 lbs. 2 years ago...? :o

Im a Zion fan (officially declaring it) but his weight and the impact it'll have on his knees are a cause for concern, most def. He needs to shed some lbs, 285 (his current weight, as last reported) is an insane amt of weight for someone under 6'10

Would like to see him lose around 20-25lbs
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#357 » by N Y K » Wed Aug 8, 2018 12:33 am

QBoro KnicksFan wrote:

Spoiler:

Im a Zion fan (officially declaring it) but his weight and the impact it'll have on his knees are a cause for concern, most def. He needs to shed some lbs, 285 (his current weight, as last reported) is an insane amt of weight for someone under 6'10

the prudent thing is probably to get closer to 260 (lower even) if he wants to avoid injuries.

he really is an enigma though... that size and strength, coupled with his athleticism is wild. I just cant get over 55 pounds in two years... sounds insane to me
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#358 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Wed Aug 8, 2018 12:38 am

N Y K wrote:
QBoro KnicksFan wrote:

Spoiler:

the prudent thing is probably to get closer to 260 (lower even) if he wants to avoid injuries.

he really is an enigma though... that size and strength, coupled with his athleticism is wild. I just cant get over 55 pounds in two years... sounds insane to me

Yeah that **** cray lol
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#359 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Aug 8, 2018 12:33 pm

I put up a strength / weakness video on FrankieVision last month, for those interested. I’d post it, but WiFi I **** at the moment. Hello from Bermuda!
Illightinati
Senior
And1: 454

Post#360 » by Illightinati » Wed Aug 8, 2018 3:47 pm

Read on Twitter

The Board Happy with a 5th pick ?

Return to New York Knicks