ImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Brickley on Working with Frank and Kanter

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Re: Chris Brickley on Working with Frank and Kanter 

Post#81 » by frothbrain » Sat Aug 4, 2018 12:24 pm

Kanter is playing for a big pay day. Guy is going to put up stats with KP out.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#82 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 4, 2018 2:46 pm

I can only dream Kanter puts up big numbers so the Knicks can get a pick for him...
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#83 » by cgf » Sat Aug 4, 2018 4:42 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:I can only dream Kanter puts up big numbers so the Knicks can get a pick for him...

Kanter, Burke & Lee are the guys who I'm hoping we can get some picks for by the deadline...although Kanter's contract may make it difficult.

If Burke turns those long 2s into 3s and stays hot, then I think we could even weasel a late first out of a team given how cheap he is...either from a dumb team with an extra pick that needs a PG (like Orlando), or a playoff team that needs a cheap bench PG that can light up second units when hot.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#84 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Sat Aug 4, 2018 4:57 pm

We're in era where the likes of Quincy Acy are taking and making 3s at a fairly respectable clip (for a big).....think its more than possible that Kanter can add a 3pt shot to his game. Idk how often Id want him stepping out tho, especially since it takes away from his two biggest strengths of post scoring and offensive rebounding. But it would help space the floor and make Kanter a bit more offensively versatile which should only help the team

Defensively, its pretty rare that a one dimensional offensive player that stinks on the defensive end of the floor to dramatically improve in that area. Especially for a player this late in their career, yes Kanter is a young man but basketball wise he's no spring pup. He's been in the league almost a decade, next yr will be his 8th as a pro. I don't expect him to improve much on that end of that floor
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#85 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Aug 4, 2018 6:59 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:If Fiz gets Kanter to shoot 37% from three point range and be decent on defense a lot attitudes about Kanter will change around here.

not for me. because we're not resigning him. nor should we. him playing well does nothing for the knicks future. we need our cap space for an all-star. that's it. there isn't room for him or anyone else. we're gonna max out kp, we have timmy who we can't get rid of and we have some young kids who we don't have to pay for a couple of years. so before we have to pay them, we should be smart about the rest of the cap and only sign someone who is a real difference maker. and that person will never be enes kanter.

I don't think THJ is as immovable as some suggest, it's just that the Knicks wanna squeeze out some value that they won't get. I think if we could just take on waivable expirings it could happen.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,899

Post#86 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 7:33 pm

NYKAL wrote:I saw something on youtube about Irving having a degenerative condition in that knee! He's already injury prone. As much as I love his game, I'd rather run with what we have. Stop lusting after guys that made there mark elsewhere and roll with our draftee's. I really think Frank is special and I truly believe Burke will fulfill the expectations he had coming into the league.

Kanter, people forget how he made the game easier for KP and the fact that his offensive rebounds are critical and good teams know it. People complain about his defense but, his man to man defense was never really a problem. If our guards can contain their man he'd be exposed less. Having KP besides him also kept him from getting exposed.

With a healthy team and system in place, he is a plus, not a negative.

Frank, I don't care about his offense as much as most. I love the defense and value him more as a result. We saw how long it took Derozan to learn how to become an consistent offensive threat. That can be taught but, what is between the ears can not. Frank has a (young) Rondo esque mind for defense but with better physical tools.

Mills going to do his woody impression..
Get the signing table ready:
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#87 » by cgf » Sat Aug 4, 2018 8:21 pm

Hopefully our medical staff doesn’t require YouTube videos to do their job...
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,034

Post#88 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 6, 2018 8:16 pm

Greg Monroe just signed a 1 yr deal for $2.2M. That is what Kanter is worth.
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Post#89 » by Jonathan starks » Mon Aug 6, 2018 9:51 pm

GONYK wrote:Greg Monroe just signed a 1 yr deal for $2.2M. That is what Kanter is worth.

Nah kanter is worth 5 million. Him and moose are similar slow-footed players, but kanter does everything moose does well better.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,074

Post#90 » by blueNorange » Mon Aug 6, 2018 10:10 pm

GONYK wrote:Greg Monroe just signed a 1 yr deal for $2.2M. That is what Kanter is worth.

kanter is a better player than monroe based on effort and not being a quitter.

but yes his market is low which is more of a reason to bring him back and have him come off the bench.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#91 » by magnumt » Mon Aug 6, 2018 11:33 pm

Kanter is worth more because of effort. IRL, Monroe can go into Eddy Curry mode while Kanter hustles A LOT (remember the games he was the focus after Porzingis went down).

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#92 » by koogiking » Mon Aug 6, 2018 11:47 pm

Kanter can also shoot 3s. His PER and per36 are also alot better than Moose
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#93 » by magnumt » Mon Aug 6, 2018 11:52 pm

Kanter would be great for us in a 6th man role. Same with Burke.

BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,127

Post#94 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Aug 6, 2018 11:53 pm

If Kanter can't stay on the floor in crunch time, he shouldn't be paid starter money
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,223

Post#95 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 6, 2018 11:56 pm

magnumt wrote:

Kanter is worth more because of effort. IRL, Monroe can go into Eddy Curry mode while Kanter hustles A LOT (remember the games he was the focus after Porzingis went down).

and Kanter will play with one good leg and a ruptured spleen :wink:
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#96 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 6, 2018 11:58 pm

knicksh20b wrote:If Kanter can't stay on the floor in crunch time, he shouldn't be paid starter money

That's no longer an issue. Enes knows this was his last big payday.

Now he'll be paid like a journeyman and it won't cost a fortune relative to other NBA salaries for whichever team has him.
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#97 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 7, 2018 12:00 am

He'll probably sign a deal next year for 4-5M per year. Monroe is a lesser player. Kanter is still one of the best low post scorers and rebounders in the league even if that is not so much in demand any longer. But compared to Monroe he's worth more IMO.
ImageImageImage
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,034

Post#98 » by GONYK » Tue Aug 7, 2018 12:41 am

Clyde_Style wrote:

He'll probably sign a deal next year for 4-5M per year. Monroe is a lesser player. Kanter is still one of the best low post scorers and rebounders in the league even if that is not so much in demand any longer. But compared to Monroe he's worth more IMO.
If Kanter wants to come off the bench for $4M, I'd welcome him back.

I just recall people thinking he would be a bargain coming back ~$15M.

That is clearly not the market value on his skill set.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,625

Post#99 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 7, 2018 12:44 am

QBoro KnicksFan wrote:We're in era where the likes of Quincy Acy are taking and making 3s at a fairly respectable clip (for a big).....think its more than possible that Kanter can add a 3pt shot to his game. Idk how often Id want him stepping out tho, especially since it takes away from his two biggest strengths of post scoring and offensive rebounding. But it would help space the floor and make Kanter a bit more offensively versatile which should only help the team

Defensively, its pretty rare that a one dimensional offensive player that stinks on the defensive end of the floor to dramatically improve in that area. Especially for a player this late in their career, yes Kanter is a young man but basketball wise he's no spring pup. He's been in the league almost a decade, next yr will be his 8th as a pro. I don't expect him to improve much on that end of that floor

I'm thinking Kanter can step outside when we want KP to work in the paint so that it doesn't get clogged up.
Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#100 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 7, 2018 1:14 am

GONYK wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

If Kanter wants to come off the bench for $4M, I'd welcome him back.

I just recall people thinking he would be a bargain coming back ~$15M.

That is clearly not the market value on his skill set.

ImageImageImage

Return to New York Knicks