OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,951

Re: OT | Official Fitness & Health Thread 

Post#581 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 3, 2018 5:47 pm

Some of the least athletic people I’ve ever known were workout warriors in the weight room.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#582 » by emunney » Fri Aug 3, 2018 6:11 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
If you're talking all around, I'd say so. At the very least, I haven't seen a better gauge when it comes to all around athletics.

I would put this on par with American Ninja Warrior.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM

Post#583 » by emunney » Fri Aug 3, 2018 6:13 pm

Amusing to me to consider Crossfit games folks as on the same level as Olympic decathletes.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,272

Post#584 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 6:16 pm

emunney wrote:Amusing to me to consider Crossfit games folks as on the same level as Olympic decathletes.

You're not very aware of how crossfit athletes train I'm guessing.
Do it for Chuck
emunney
RealGM

Post#585 » by emunney » Fri Aug 3, 2018 6:17 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
emunney wrote:Amusing to me to consider Crossfit games folks as on the same level as Olympic decathletes.

You're not very aware of how athletic Olympic decathletes are I'm guessing.
emunney
RealGM

Post#586 » by emunney » Fri Aug 3, 2018 6:18 pm

ITT: confusing fitness with athleticism.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,272

Post#587 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 6:52 pm

emunney wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:

You're not very aware of how athletic Olympic decathletes are I'm guessing.

A lot of similarities actually. I just believe crossfit covers a more diverse regimen. Strength, endurance, stamina, agility, mobility, coordination, speed/explosiveness through a variety of methods ranging from Olympic lifts, long distance running and swimming, rowing, gymnastics, calisthenics and everything in between.

I used to be a gym rat and plateaued. I read "What is Fitness" by Greg Glassman and started crossfit. Feels like everything I was doing prior was stupid, though I do incorporate other things into my fitness regimen besides crossfit too. If you haven't tried it you should. The results are undeniable.
Do it for Chuck
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,444

Post#588 » by steger_3434 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 7:29 pm

Signing up for my first Ironman next year. Have done Olympic distances and a 70.3 but this is quite a big jump. Hoping I don’t die by mile 100 on the bike before I even get to the marathon

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
i dont want see that woman anymore !
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#589 » by crkone » Fri Aug 3, 2018 8:15 pm

emunney wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:
If you're talking all around, I'd say so. At the very least, I haven't seen a better gauge when it comes to all around athletics.

I would put this on par with American Ninja Warrior.

You also have to max out at like 5'8" 160lbs to advance past the second stage in American Ninja Warrior. It's almost impossible to do those grip challenges if you weigh above that. I'm sure there was an exception or two.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#590 » by BUCKnation » Sat Aug 4, 2018 3:28 am

American ninja warrior is basically who has the strongest grip and best focus after the first stage.
emunney
RealGM

Post#591 » by emunney » Sat Aug 4, 2018 4:00 am

BUCKnation wrote:American ninja warrior is basically who has the strongest grip and best focus after the first stage.

Gotta know how to hit that tramp.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,009

Post#592 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat Aug 4, 2018 4:04 am

steger_3434 wrote:Signing up for my first Ironman next year. Have done Olympic distances and a 70.3 but this is quite a big jump. Hoping I don’t die by mile 100 on the bike before I even get to the marathon

Keep us updated on your training. I feel I would have no problem completing the bike and marathon but can’t swim for crap. Just a long day that requires immense preparation and endurance.

Which iron man?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#593 » by crkone » Sat Aug 4, 2018 4:18 am

I totally could destroy a Most Extreme Elimination Challenge obstacle though.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#594 » by bigkurty » Sat Aug 4, 2018 3:36 pm

steger_3434 wrote:Signing up for my first Ironman next year. Have done Olympic distances and a 70.3 but this is quite a big jump. Hoping I don’t die by mile 100 on the bike before I even get to the marathon

Damn Chad, that is some ballsy ****. It takes a ton of courage to even sign up for that brutal race. Good luck.

I have a friend who did the full in Phoenix last year and it took him 14 hours. For a few weeks after he said he would never do it again. Later he changed his mind, got all new coaches and signed up for two more. The new coaches have him training many more miles than his previous coach and he feels so much more prepared. The guy does about 150 miles a week between the bike and running and he still gets swims in too. It's pretty inspirational to see a guy I used to know as being completely out of shape at one time turn into a cardio machine.

It inspired me to start trying to get in some really good cardio shape again now. We bought a Peloton bike and so far I love it. Its total gamification of cardio and being that it's summer here in Phoenix, you basically have to work out inside or do it at like 4 am if you want to do it outside. I imagine it would be great to keep your bike training going during Winters too.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Post#595 » by TroyD92 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 3:47 pm

crkone wrote:I totally could destroy a Most Extreme Elimination Challenge obstacle though.

If they ever brought that show back I'd be totally down for a bucks realgm team.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#596 » by Aaron It Out » Sat Aug 4, 2018 3:52 pm

I'm not a big fitness guy by any means, but pretty proud that I've hit the 50 lb mark for lost weight. Mostly through dieting (cutting sugar and carbs). I'm 5'11 and at one point was about 215. A lot of people tell me I never looked that fat, but I felt it. I now weigh less than I did in high school, which is pretty crazy. Starting to lift weights VERY passively (dumbbells exercises the living room type of stuff). I only live 1.5 miles from work so I've been biking this summer, and I take a 2 mile walk as a lunch break. It's amazing how much better I feel and how much more energy I have. I also don't crave the garbage I ate regularly all the time for the most part.

Next goal is to run a 5k. I could probably do it right now but for some reason it just seems daunting when it's all official and whantot. In track I ran 200m and 400m, so when I run I typically exert myself rather than keep a nice pace.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Post#597 » by TroyD92 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 4:02 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:I'm not a big fitness guy by any means, but pretty proud that I've hit the 50 lb mark for lost weight. Mostly through dieting (cutting sugar and carbs). I'm 5'11 and at one point was about 215. A lot of people tell me I never looked that fat, but I felt it. I now weigh less than I did in high school, which is pretty crazy. Starting to lift weights VERY passively (dumbbells exercises the living room type of stuff). I only live 1.5 miles from work so I've been biking this summer, and I take a 2 mile walk as a lunch break. It's amazing how much better I feel and how much more energy I have. I also don't crave the garbage I ate regularly all the time for the most part.

Next goal is to run a 5k. I could probably do it right now but for some reason it just seems daunting when it's all official and whantot. In track I ran 200m and 400m, so when I run I typically exert myself rather than keep a nice pace.

The best thing about cutting those things out. Is that when you do eat them you really do feel it.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#598 » by stellation » Sat Aug 4, 2018 11:07 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:I'm not a big fitness guy by any means, but pretty proud that I've hit the 50 lb mark for lost weight. Mostly through dieting (cutting sugar and carbs). I'm 5'11 and at one point was about 215. A lot of people tell me I never looked that fat, but I felt it. I now weigh less than I did in high school, which is pretty crazy. Starting to lift weights VERY passively (dumbbells exercises the living room type of stuff). I only live 1.5 miles from work so I've been biking this summer, and I take a 2 mile walk as a lunch break. It's amazing how much better I feel and how much more energy I have. I also don't crave the garbage I ate regularly all the time for the most part.

A work colleague who was fairly fit from cycling, but like you and didn't really know how to pace themselves with running, used a C25K app primarily as a way to learn how to pace themselves. They're more targeted at just getting people running from a low fitness base, but the logic sold to him was the constant run/stop/run/stop forces you to learn to pace a bit (going from nearly sprinting to just walking to nearly sprinting just seems weird). He swears by it, said it worked a treat- might be worth a try for pacing (and to hopefully ease off from too many aches from just jumping straight into it if you don't currently run).
#FreeChuckDiesel
steger_3434
RealGM

Post#599 » by steger_3434 » Sun Aug 5, 2018 10:52 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:

Keep us updated on your training. I feel I would have no problem completing the bike and marathon but can’t swim for crap. Just a long day that requires immense preparation and endurance.

Which iron man?

Decided to do the home state one in Madison

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
yiyiyi wrote:give rockets Redd ,houston give you T-MAC in return .please help rockets!
steger_3434
RealGM

Post#600 » by steger_3434 » Sun Aug 5, 2018 10:54 pm

bigkurty wrote:

Damn Chad, that is some ballsy ****. It takes a ton of courage to even sign up for that brutal race. Good luck.

I have a friend who did the full in Phoenix last year and it took him 14 hours. For a few weeks after he said he would never do it again. Later he changed his mind, got all new coaches and signed up for two more. The new coaches have him training many more miles than his previous coach and he feels so much more prepared. The guy does about 150 miles a week between the bike and running and he still gets swims in too. It's pretty inspirational to see a guy I used to know as being completely out of shape at one time turn into a cardio machine.

It inspired me to start trying to get in some really good cardio shape again now. We bought a Peloton bike and so far I love it. Its total gamification of cardio and being that it's summer here in Phoenix, you basically have to work out inside or do it at like 4 am if you want to do it outside. I imagine it would be great to keep your bike training going during Winters too.

Thanks man. It’s a daunting task. After the 70.3 as I crossed the finish line I said no way to a full, but a couple days later I decided it’s something I need to try

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Return to Milwaukee Bucks