ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA: Trades, Transactions, and Taj Threads

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Re: Around the NBA: Trades, Transactions, and Taj Threads 

Post#481 » by AllanHoustonFan » Sat Aug 4, 2018 11:29 am

basketboule wrote:So it's reported the heat want to break it up. They really aren't very talented.

They would be smart to. The heat as currently constructed is a treadmill team.
#MKGA
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#482 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Aug 4, 2018 11:42 am

AllanHoustonFan wrote:
basketboule wrote:So it's reported the heat want to break it up. They really aren't very talented.

They would be smart to. The heat as currently constructed is a treadmill team.

It is even hard to see roles for any of their players on effective teams. They're all mediocre at what they're supposed to bring to a team. Whiteside is really a difference maker, but now very overpaid.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#483 » by HEZI » Sat Aug 4, 2018 2:13 pm

magnumt wrote:
HEZI wrote:
magnumt wrote:
Read on Twitter

:o Wow!!!

--Mags :beer:

I know the possibility of the Lakers missing the playoffs is real but I don't know if I can really project them to not make it. At the very least they sneak in as the 8th seed. But I get it, West is stacked, just not sure I can give a team like the TWolves or Nuggets an edge over a Lebron team with some nice young pieces in place that are set to have better seasons next year regardless of Lebron being there or not. But yeah, West is gonna be so wild next season

I think they were focusing in more on the Kings. ;)

--Mags :beer:

Yeah that was cold, I tried to ignore that part :lol:

I still like their young pieces though, Fox is a stud and if he can stay healthy they should at least have an entertaining team to watch even if they won't win may games.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#484 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 4, 2018 2:23 pm

The Lakers are going to surprise a lot of teams in the West. Lebron alone makes them better than Minnesota, Portland, and San Antonio. The Lakers have a team of versatile 6' 9" guard-forwards. A young second unit led by Kuzma-nia and Brandon Ingram will have a break out season.
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#485 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Sat Aug 4, 2018 3:40 pm

cgf wrote:
QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
they still might move bazemore too supposedly. they're really tanking at a high level. nobody can compete with them.

Im still kinda surprised they were able to move Schroeder w/o taking back any players whose contract runs beyond next season. High level tanking, indeed

The cap is supposed to rise by ~15M over the next two years, which is pretty much Schroeder's contract, and even though he's a **** person, he's a talented basketball player who just isn't a top option & is probably best as a 6th man. So I'm not that shocked. Moving guys who can contribute for expiring's that playoff teams want to get rid of or are dead-money happens pretty often in the NBA...even if the guy who can contribute is being paid for a bigger role than he can actually fill.

Yet Courtney Lee is still on our roster :noway: :nonono:
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,486

Post#486 » by cgf » Sat Aug 4, 2018 3:48 pm

QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
cgf wrote:
QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
Im still kinda surprised they were able to move Schroeder w/o taking back any players whose contract runs beyond next season. High level tanking, indeed

The cap is supposed to rise by ~15M over the next two years, which is pretty much Schroeder's contract, and even though he's a **** person, he's a talented basketball player who just isn't a top option & is probably best as a 6th man. So I'm not that shocked. Moving guys who can contribute for expiring's that playoff teams want to get rid of or are dead-money happens pretty often in the NBA...even if the guy who can contribute is being paid for a bigger role than he can actually fill.

For now :dontknow:
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#487 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 4, 2018 10:24 pm

I love Atlanta’s approach to tanking. Basically no one is showing up to play the opposition because every one has been traded or released.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

OT:Whiteside and Waiters made available. According to a report in the Miami Herald, the Heat has made Tyler Johnson 

Post#488 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sun Aug 5, 2018 2:38 am

You thought this was a TAJ bomb? Think again!

Close this if you want, I made this in honor of the goat Taj and his elite thread titles. Someone has to update the news cycle!
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#489 » by Dantares » Sun Aug 5, 2018 2:43 am

Riley trying to get in on the 2019 free agent class. I hope nobody helps him get cap space.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#490 » by Marty McFly » Sun Aug 5, 2018 11:36 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
cgf
RealGM

Post#491 » by cgf » Sun Aug 5, 2018 4:00 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:I love Atlanta’s approach to tanking. Basically no one is showing up to play the opposition because every one has been traded or released.

I’d love it a lot more if they weren’t trying so hard to become a GSW knockoff. I have no doubts that they’ll pick Zion to be “their Draymond” after having drafted “their Steph” this year.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#492 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Aug 5, 2018 5:53 pm

cgf wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:I love Atlanta’s approach to tanking. Basically no one is showing up to play the opposition because every one has been traded or released.

I’d love it a lot more if they weren’t trying so hard to become a GSW knockoff. I have no doubts that they’ll pick Zion to be “their Draymond” after having drafted “their Steph” this year.

Trae Young looked AWFUL during Summer league. Summer League, the easiest league to score 20 and look good...

Here's the thing about success. If it could be duplicated, there would be a lot more successful people out there.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#493 » by Greenie » Sun Aug 5, 2018 6:14 pm

QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
cgf wrote:
QBoro KnicksFan wrote:

:lol:

Been saying this for a while now.
It’s not easy at all.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#494 » by Greenie » Sun Aug 5, 2018 6:14 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I’m on the fuqing floor :rofl:
Greenie
RealGM

Post#495 » by Greenie » Sun Aug 5, 2018 6:16 pm

cgf wrote:

Why you mad?
cgf
RealGM

Post#496 » by cgf » Sun Aug 5, 2018 6:23 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
cgf wrote:

Trae Young looked AWFUL during Summer league. Summer League, the easiest league to score 20 and look good...

Here's the thing about success. If it could be duplicated, there would be a lot more successful people out there.

His shot was awful, but I was lowkey really excited by his passing. He'll never be the shooter Steph is, but I can totally see the Steve Nash in his playmaking. That's why I'd hate to see him pigeon-holed by a franchise trying to copy GSW to the letter, as you can't just insert different talent into the exact same system & expect it to work exactly the same.

That said greatness can & should be learned from & studied. The golden age of german soccer came about because we basically copied the way that the revolutionary Dutch team of the time...who we ended up beating in the World Cup final to leave them stuck in the conversation of greatest NTs who never won a title...played & adapted it to our talent.

So I'm intrigued by how it'll work for Atlanta, even though I'm worried.

cgf
RealGM

Post#497 » by cgf » Sun Aug 5, 2018 6:26 pm

Greenie wrote:
cgf wrote:

Why you mad?

A little. Trae Young could be a really fun player IMO, but I think what makes him so fun would be wasted if you're too rigged about forcing him to be a Steph clone.

But hey, if we can capitalize on it by getting them to trade up to our pick next year to get their precious Zion, then I won't complain :wink:

HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#498 » by HEZI » Sun Aug 5, 2018 6:27 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
cgf wrote:

Depends on what games you watched. He looked awful for the first couple games and then broke out against the Knicks and then had a couple more really good games after that

21 points 11 assists against Knicks
24 points (7 threes) against Bulls
23 points 8 assists against Pacers

You can't really say he looked awful in summer league when he had so many spectacular moments. To sum up his overall performance you could say it was up and down and inconsistent (like it is for most rookies) but you can't sum up his entire SL as awful since he had so many amazing moments after his poor start.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,100

Post#499 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Aug 5, 2018 9:07 pm

HEZI wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:
cgf wrote:

Depends on what games you watched. He looked awful for the first couple games and then broke out against the Knicks and then had a couple more really good games after that

21 points 11 assists against Knicks
24 points (7 threes) against Bulls
23 points 8 assists against Pacers

You can't really say he looked awful in summer league when he had so many spectacular moments. To sum up his overall performance you could say it was up and down and inconsistent (like it is for most rookies) but you can't sum up his entire SL as awful since he had so many amazing moments after his poor start.

Jennings scored 50 in first season. And that was a NBA game.
How many points or 3s Trae Young made doesnt look that bright for me.
Lets see if he can defend his position against real competition. %fg, asist to turnover ratio is what I'm interested in Trae Young.
Curry is good playmaker and above average defender for his position. And its not about his range or quick shot alone. He's really efficient on offense.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,100

Post#500 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Aug 5, 2018 9:31 pm

nyk97 wrote:
Jay10 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
smart. it's exactly what he needs to focus on. get faster and in better condition and just put up 3s. should have done that last summer.

i see people are still falling for the fake hustle.

he does this every summer, training camp, and a week or 2 into the regular season, then you reverts back to his old habits.

this is his issue

He just lost too much athleticism. He's declined like AI.
When you dont train well in young ages then you dont age well like cp3-lebron-kobe etc

Biggest issue of Melo is his defense. Lack of athleticism is really a problem.
More than that those 2 p&r against Joe Ingles looked really bad.
He acted Ingles like another right handed p&r ball handler. He didnt even care who was he. Ingles taking left side of the pick is obvious choice for him especially when you just sleep on another side.
Lack of defensive awareness in a playoff series is really bad sign. At age 34, how can you expect him get any better on this?

Conditioning, catch and shoot 3pt shot training, playing less minutes and bench role. He must do them if he wants to stay in the league.
It'd be better for him to just accept D'Antoni system.
At least in this stage of his career 5 jab steps wont going to help him much. Just let it go. Shoot it early in the clock. Go with the offensive flow. Even if you are going to miss that shot miss it in 3 seconds.

Return to New York Knicks