Will the Cavaliers reach the playoffs in 2019?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Will the Cavaliers reach the playoffs in 2019? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:00 am

1. Yes
2. No
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,590

Re: Will the Cavaliers reach the playoffs in 2019? 

Post#2 » by AK47MVP » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:30 am

wow 100% no? Not even Cavs homers believe it it?
phraoh
Sixth Man
And1: 714

Post#3 » by phraoh » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:27 pm

Well at least its not 100% NO....as of now only 69% will be surprised when the Cavs EASILY make the playoffs in 2019. Cavs looked like they were barely trying (if not at all) for most of the regular season last year, and Lebron basically throwing 6 weeks away trying to prove a point and get FO to shake things up. Cavs won't win 50 again due to loss of James, but good chance to win 45.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,590

Post#4 » by AK47MVP » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:33 pm

phraoh wrote:Well at least its not 100% NO....as of now only 69% will be surprised when the Cavs EASILY make the playoffs in 2019. Cavs looked like they were barely trying (if not at all) for most of the regular season last year, and Lebron basically throwing 6 weeks away trying to prove a point and get FO to shake things up. Cavs won't win 50 again due to loss of James, but good chance to win 45.

I can bet you Cavs won't be even close to playoff picture.
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#5 » by malgus » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:23 pm

I voted no but they might make it since they are in the Eastern Conference
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,405

Post#6 » by theman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:29 pm

It depends on when the go into full tank mode.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#7 » by colaroaster » Wed Aug 1, 2018 1:11 am

brooklyn nets have been public about making the playoffs next year - so the road goes thru them
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 232

Post#8 » by tigerae » Wed Aug 1, 2018 6:42 am

colaroaster wrote:brooklyn nets have been public about making the playoffs next year - so the road goes thru them

LOL @ Brooklyn.

No one in the bottom 7 from the East really got that much better. All of the teams with under 30 wins will likely still hover around that, maybe a couple will add a few more wins, but I don't see any of them improving drastically enough to win an extra 10 or more games to get closer to .500. The Hornets lost Dwight Howard who had a really good season which leaves them pretty empty at the 5 and likely lowers their win totals over last year.

I think the playoffs hopes goes thru the Pistons next year. Depending on how well the Pistons play with a new coach and with a full season of Blake Griffin and Drummond, the Cavs could possibly sneak in to the 8th spot if they can play .500 basketball.

Of course there's also the slim chance of one of these rookies having a Donovan Mitchell type season which can also change some things, but most of them won't add too many wins their rookie year.
niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#9 » by niha17 » Wed Aug 1, 2018 8:44 pm

Cavs wont win 25 games. Lebron is worth 20 games at least on that team an love was worth 5 maybe. Unless you get T-Wolves Kevin Love youll have the 1st pick for the next 4 years til lebron comes back and save that team again. then youll have 37 yr old lebron cleveland need to clear there roster and start over
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#10 » by Donnyxc » Thu Aug 2, 2018 3:27 pm

Celtics, Raptors, Sixers, Bucks, Pacers, Pistons, Heat, Wizards.

Someone give me odds for that 8 team Eastern Conference playoffs. I'll put any amount on it.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#11 » by arasu » Sat Aug 4, 2018 3:09 am

tigerae wrote:
colaroaster wrote:brooklyn nets have been public about making the playoffs next year - so the road goes thru them

LOL @ Brooklyn.

No one in the bottom 7 from the East really got that much better. All of the teams with under 30 wins will likely still hover around that, maybe a couple will add a few more wins, but I don't see any of them improving drastically enough to win an extra 10 or more games to get closer to .500. The Hornets lost Dwight Howard who had a really good season which leaves them pretty empty at the 5 and likely lowers their win totals over last year.

I think the playoffs hopes goes thru the Pistons next year. Depending on how well the Pistons play with a new coach and with a full season of Blake Griffin and Drummond, the Cavs could possibly sneak in to the 8th spot if they can play .500 basketball.

Of course there's also the slim chance of one of these rookies having a Donovan Mitchell type season which can also change some things, but most of them won't add too many wins their rookie year.

Every season or so one or two bottom-feeders surprise and move up a few spots in the standings, and one or two playoff teams fall apart. Which will do what is a very tough call. The Hornets added exactly zero wins with Howard, so expecting any move in the standings there makes no sense. They could easily improve enough to get in, or just stay in place and watch the Pistons and Cavs drop lower. Any of the 5 sub-30 win teams could easily surprise us all with a break out season. The Cavs have a good shot at the playoffs, but I'm betting against it.
Dloading24
Sophomore
And1: 220

Post#12 » by Dloading24 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 6:28 pm

phraoh wrote:Well at least its not 100% NO....as of now only 69% will be surprised when the Cavs EASILY make the playoffs in 2019. Cavs looked like they were barely trying (if not at all) for most of the regular season last year, and Lebron basically throwing 6 weeks away trying to prove a point and get FO to shake things up. Cavs won't win 50 again due to loss of James, but good chance to win 45.

This statement is crazy, if only for the fact that you actually believe the loss of Lebron means 5 less wins.

For comparison, when heat loss lebron, they went from 54 wins to 37 wins the next season, and that teams had Wade, Dragic, and Bosh (if only for 44 games) and I think that team was better than this cavs team/better coached for sure.
"Is that a trick question? They gave up Kwamay Brown, WHO CARES?!....Number two and more importantly KWAMAY BROWN is gone. The city of Angles, Hollywood, should be celebrating. Throw a parade already whether you win a championship or not"
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#13 » by Stillwater » Sun Aug 5, 2018 1:33 am

Dloading24 wrote:

This statement is crazy, if only for the fact that you actually believe the loss of Lebron means 5 less wins.

For comparison, when heat loss lebron, they went from 54 wins to 37 wins the next season, and that teams had Wade, Dragic, and Bosh (if only for 44 games) and I think that team was better than this cavs team/better coached for sure.

Well imo if the Cavs had the post dl team all season they would have won 55 games easy even with injuries to Love and Thompson.
Cavs should win 40-45 games provided they don't tank and be in the hunt for the 7-8 seed.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
mannyd7
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#14 » by mannyd7 » Tue Aug 7, 2018 12:10 am

I'm not even sure this is a talent issue, Kevin Love is still nice when people actually pass him the ball.
Ty Lue has been incredibly uncreative with his offense. I've seen some people argue he adapted to Lebron's style of play, but I don't buy it.
jmdibastiani
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#15 » by jmdibastiani » Tue Aug 7, 2018 12:32 am

They still have a mildly decent team. They lost LeBron, but they've still got K-Love and Thompson, plus they just got Collin Sexton in the draft.

I think that they'll either just miss the playoffs or go no higher than a 7 seed.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,238

Post#16 » by Harry Garris » Tue Aug 7, 2018 2:29 pm

mannyd7 wrote:I'm not even sure this is a talent issue, Kevin Love is still nice when people actually pass him the ball.
Ty Lue has been incredibly uncreative with his offense. I've seen some people argue he adapted to Lebron's style of play, but I don't buy it.

He was clearly the third best scorer on the team the first 3 years so no he didn't need more shots, and last year he was hurt or recovering most of the season so that's why he didn't score as much.
mannyd7
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#17 » by mannyd7 » Tue Aug 7, 2018 5:58 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
mannyd7 wrote:I'm not even sure this is a talent issue, Kevin Love is still nice when people actually pass him the ball.

He was clearly the third best scorer on the team the first 3 years so no he didn't need more shots, and last year he was hurt or recovering most of the season so that's why he didn't score as much.

He was in the 93%ile in points per possession last year so he was pretty damn efficient despite injuries. Regardless of your opinion of Kevin Love, they have some other players that have played at the league average for at least a season or 2. My argument is simply that Ty Lue won't ever be able to get league average play out of a Rodney Hood, Jordan Clarkson (I know he stinks), etc.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#18 » by Barcs » Tue Aug 7, 2018 11:54 pm

I don't see how they could make the playoffs without Lebron. They are a sub .500 team without him, so unless the east really sucks next year they don't really have a chance.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#19 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 8, 2018 12:19 am

the voting doesn't surprise me due to the Lebron effect... but most responses don't account for the high probability of positive impact of the young players like Sexton and Osman whos games will be benefiting from spacing being the floor with seasoned vets in Love and Korver etc.
I give the Cavs a much better chance of being one of the last 2 in than one of the first 2 out.
Little chance they tank, but if they do it will be obvious and not indicative of what this roster is or in that case was capable of.
I would rather see them fight for the 7th or 8th seed and have a first round exit than go full rebuild this season.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Unwell
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#20 » by Unwell » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:26 am

I’m looking at the other teams in the east and I’m not seeing it. Love has never led a team to the playoffs and it’s his team now. Factor in the teams that are going to make the playoffs....the Celtics, 76ers, Raptors. Wizards, Pacers, and the Bucks. That’s 6 teams and I honestly don’t know if he Cavs will be better than the Heat, the Pistons, or the Bulls either. Hell, they may not be able to stop Kemba and the bobcats, so it’s going to be tough. I see about 30 - 39 wins for the season.

Return to Polls Discussion